Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Sloane machine replacement   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

flyeogh

Sloane machine replacement 

StewMac true to their word and my replacement Sloane tuners arrived today. I still can't quite believe that after 13 years, and me almost certainly being responsible for the breakage, that they have replaced them 100% free of charge. They'd have cost well over 300 USD plus delivery.

The screw holes line up perfectly but the rollers, now with bearings are a lot wider. And I can see shortening them might be an issue.

If anyone has any thoughts I'd be grateful.

Next week I'll drop in on my new Argentinian luthier and see what he thinks.

But in any case StewMac are now my preferred guys for everything. Shame they don't sell beer

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)

nigel (el raton de Watford - now Puerto de Santa Maria, Cadiz)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 4 2019 10:59:11

flyeogh

RE: Sloane machine replacement (in reply to flyeogh

Here they are:

Attachment (2)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 4 2019 14:41:34

NorCalluthier

Hello Nigel,

Stew Mac is under new ownership, and they seem to be carrying on the old ownership's policy of keeping their customers happy. Several years ago they replaced a fret saw blade for my table saw that was cutting a couple of thou under size.

The clerk took a minute to look through my orders to make sure I had bought one, and then sent out the new one, without asking me to return the bad one. I use the bad one to rip my split bracing stock, as its thin kerf gives better yield.

I have used the Sloane tuners for years as I prefer the "Landstorfer//Hauser" look, and the tasteful appearance of a bronze plate. However, the addition of the steel ball bearings has made them altogether too heavy for my taste. They come in at 180 grams a set, and particularly for a flamenco, that's heavy!

Currently I'm interested in Allesi's at 120 grams a set for classicals, and their F6 model that weighs only 95 grams per set, for flamencos. I think that with the head slots for machines, the F6's will come close to the head weight of a set of Planetary Pegs. Sustain increases with weight on the head. Anybody have experience with Alessi's?

Cheers,

Brian
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 9 2019 15:51:29

flyeogh

RE: Sloane machine replacement (in reply to NorCalluthier

Brian interesting thoughts. I can imagine halving the weight being noticeable even to me.

As for StewMac I hope they continue for years to come offering great customer care. Even with the order I made,I bought EJ25B strings at less than half the price I can buy them in Europe. (Not sure I like them but early days).

As can be seen the new machine is on. In the end, despite words of warning from StewMac, the differences in measurements, diameter and length were not that great and the new ones fitted without any modification.

And a side benefit, I met luthier Esteban Eijo and saw his workshop. He is from Argentina but lives and works in Jerez. Sadly for me, but great for him, I didn't get to play or see any of his guitars. He has sold all his stock and has three to make to order.

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 9 2019 16:59:38

Fred Klinge

quote:

Currently I'm interested in Allesi's at 120 grams a set for classicals

Brian,

I recently put a set of Alessi F5 tuners on my Castillo blanca and they're wonderful...weigh in at 120g for the set. Smooth and light. Still not quite as nice as Schellers, but pretty darn close (and a bit lighter than Scheller).
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 9 2019 18:20:26

Echi

The F series of Alessi weights 120 grams. I have a couple of sets of these and they are both nice and very precise.
The F series, in terms of mechanics is probably in the same league of top Gotoh tuners and the old model Sloane-Stewmac. Here in Europe you end paying them 50 euros more than Gotoh or Perona, but the better quality in the materials and the overal thing is quite evident. The new Stew mac tuners are good but here in Europe they are just too expensive due to import tax.
Top line of Alessi weights a little more (130 or so, depending by the plate shape ecc.) but they are just better all in all than Alessi F series and my personal favourites for the guitars I play.

Different story if you compare top priced tuners. I have or had Scheller, Rodgers, top Alessi etc and I found the mechanic improvement (while real) doesn’t justify at all the leap in price. Scheller are probably the best ones in terms of smoothness and precision; the thing is that frankly we are speaking of a little better general use feel. People may actually prefer a slightly stiffer tuner with a better design all in all.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 10 2019 9:03:49

David LaPlante

I have had the same experience (a 15 year old set replaced at no charge) with Stew Mac. They are the best!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 28 2019 15:38:51
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post