Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Rosalía “El Mal Querer”   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Auda

RE: Rosalía “El Mal Querer” (in reply to xirdneH_imiJ

Not sure what to make of that!

Cheers
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 28 2020 16:46:33

Piwin

lol that's not a plane I'd want to be on

"Anything you do can be fixed. What you cannot fix is the perfection of a blank page. What you cannot fix is that pristine, unsullied whiteness of a screen or a page with nothing on it—because there’s nothing there to fix."
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 28 2020 16:57:36

devilhand

RE: Rosalía “El Mal Querer” (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

I love how she attempted cabales and the guitar idiot is still doing E and F

Where in the video?

Say No to Fuera de Compás!!!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 28 2020 17:36:15

Andy Culpepper

Great, I had a drink and now my keyboard is ruined.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 28 2020 22:44:29

Andy Culpepper

RE: Rosalía “El Mal Querer” (in reply to Auda

A little off topic but Canelita has aged well I see

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 29 2020 1:25:39

JasonM

RE: Rosalía “El Mal Querer” (in reply to devilhand

quote:

Where in the video?

I think he is referring to the “De Plata” video around the 2:30 second mark. The guitar sounds late switching to major key

I was wondering why there was a social media pic of the two of them in pilot uniforms!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 29 2020 15:17:41

Echi

The beginning reminds something of the Las Migas

https://youtu.be/LY6B_BY10AQ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 29 2020 19:27:45

devilhand

RE: Rosalía “El Mal Querer” (in reply to JasonM

quote:

I think he is referring to the “De Plata” video around the 2:30 second mark. The guitar sounds late switching to major key

I thought Mr. Marlow was referring to the video I postet with the title "Rosalía - Di mi nombre en acústico"

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 1 2020 11:52:37

Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: devilhand

quote:

I thought Mr. Marlow was referring to the video I postet with the title "Rosalía - Di mi nombre en acústico"

Cabales is a form of siguiriyas cante. The guitarist ignores the key change, basically ignores her singing altogether.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 1 2020 17:19:59

devilhand

RE: Rosalía “El Mal Querer” (in reply to RobF

I just discovered her. She's from Jaen and won so many awards according to this website. No use of autotune. She's real. Is she the next Paquera de Jerez?

http://cantaoresdeflamenco.blogspot.com/2018/03/angeles-toledano-cantaora.html

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 5 2020 13:09:15

Piwin

http://www.foroflamenco.com/tm.asp?m=312872&appid=&p=&mpage=1&key=&tmode=&smode=&s=#312872

"Anything you do can be fixed. What you cannot fix is the perfection of a blank page. What you cannot fix is that pristine, unsullied whiteness of a screen or a page with nothing on it—because there’s nothing there to fix."
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 5 2020 14:14:24

devilhand

RE: Rosalía “El Mal Querer” (in reply to Piwin

quote:

http://www.foroflamenco.com/tm.aspm=312872&appid=&p=&mpage=1&key=&tmode=&smode=&s=#312872

So what? She can sing alegrias in purest form if she wants to.
I have to admit my knowledge of cante is limited. But I think what she's singing there was a slightly personalized or revised version of alegrias or a mixture of both traditional alegrias and her interpretation. I would call it creativity or originality.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 5 2020 16:42:54

Piwin

quote:

So what?

You're welcome.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 5 2020 17:08:42

Ricardo

quote:

Is she the next Paquera de Jerez?

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 5 2020 18:09:13

Materva1974

She's in a few reggaeton videos, but then some her flamenco videos have 20 million plus views. I suppose that's one way of exposing a wider audience of younger latin people to flamenco.

Her voice doesn't stand out to me like some former flamenco pop singers from the past, it doesn't have that bite to it, but if she's promoting flamenco to a wider audience that's a positive thing I guess.

Flamenco is unfortunately mostly dead anyways, its on a ventilator and the oxygen levels aren't improving

Here she is doing some flamenkito styles more from my generation with Nina Pastori..no auto-tune or rapping..still cheesy though
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 5 2020 22:08:46

devilhand

RE: Rosalía “El Mal Querer” (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricardo

quote:

Manolo Franco accompanies her.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 5 2020 23:13:43

Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: devilhand

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricardo

quote:

Awww...isn’t she cute?

Second letra was the exact one she was attempting.

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 6 2020 1:16:35

Andy Culpepper

quote:

I am certainly not the most qualified person to criticize anyone's singing, but she sounded especially weak to me in the granaína video. She may develop to be a great cantaora but to my ear she is having difficulty mastering breath control, which is really critical for the melismas and vocal ornamentation of flamenco cante. She sounds "off" on the really technical stuff compared to a great cantaor(a) like the video Ricardo posted.
I enjoyed the tangos but again she didn't seem to have the power or accuracy comparable with some of the greats. You can looks at Estrella Morente for a more "pretty" style, but she is technically flawless where Toledano is not.
Obviously I am being overly critical just to point out why she is no Paquera de Jerez (yet) but I'm not saying she is BAD because I did enjoy her cante, plus what do I know. I'll leave it to people like Ricardo and Morante to say things like that

Andy Culpepper, luthier
http://www.andyculpepper.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 6 2020 2:55:32

Piwin

quote:

if she wants to

Apparently she doesn't want to.
Rayito could probably become a world-class flamenco guitarist if he wanted to. But he doesn't, so he isn't.
Israel Galvan could probably be a top-name in traditional baile if he wanted to. But he doesn't, so he isn't.

You're always coming in here with strong opinions about who is "real flamenco" or "authentic flamenco". At the same time you put penas in Spain (or sorry, IIRC it has to be specifically in Andalucia for you) on a very high pedestal. It's just funny that every time you present a performance as "real flamenco", etc., it's always a performance that would not garner any particular praise from many of the people you put on a pedestal.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 6 2020 7:56:04

Ricardo

RE: Rosalía “El Mal Querer” (in reply to Andy Culpepper

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andy Culpepper

quote:

I am certainly not the most qualified person to criticize anyone's singing, but she sounded especially weak to me in the granaína video. She may develop to be a great cantaora but to my ear she is having difficulty mastering breath control, which is really critical for the melismas and vocal ornamentation of flamenco cante. She sounds "off" on the really technical stuff compared to a great cantaor(a) like the video Ricardo posted.
I enjoyed the tangos but again she didn't seem to have the power or accuracy comparable with some of the greats. You can looks at Estrella Morente for a more "pretty" style, but she is technically flawless where Toledano is not.
Obviously I am being overly critical just to point out why she is no Paquera de Jerez (yet) but I'm not saying she is BAD because I did enjoy her cante, plus what do I know. I'll leave it to people like Ricardo and Morante to say things like that

To be fair that guy Platero is one of the few that took the traditional version and significantly enhanced it not in just a personal way, but perhaps along the same lines as the creator would have. Plus he’s got tons of juice and expression. His entire program was focused about the unsuccessful no names that totally kick ass in the art world.

But to be fair to the girl, she is doing fine at copying the recording. She needs to raise the key and work on expression, projection... but honestly it’s clear that’s not her. She has the pitches but no juice, so it’s just a pretty song I guess. It’s the equivalent for me of these opera musical theater ladies that have crossed into power metal singing. They often lack the metal edge that a Whitney Houston would instead have delivered in that context, that juice. It’s taste and subjective of course, I’m sure that there are aficionados totally unimpressed by Platero. Anyway here is the original creator doing it for comparison.

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 6 2020 16:42:07

devilhand

RE: Rosalía “El Mal Querer” (in reply to Andy Culpepper

quote:

she sounded especially weak to me in the granaína video.

I think it has something to do with the way (recorded from a distance) and where it's recorded. Even Manolo's accompaniment sounds thin. To me, it sounds as if it was recorded in a big indoor swimming pool or a bathroom.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 6 2020 20:32:46
Page:   <<   <   1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote