Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Best way to practice in short time frames?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

bbfifas

Best way to practice in short time f... 

Hi Guys,

So having a 1 year old and a 3 year old sure does kill my practice time on the guitar! I am looking for some tips or idea for things to practice. A little bit about me, I am still a beginner but not a complete one I can play right hand techniques some better then others. I usually pick of the guitar and have no DIRECTION and play a few solea falsetas, work on a few rumba strums chord progressions, or whatever and then it seems my time is needed else where.

I think I have over loaded my brain with guitar books, tabs, and studies and I am having a hard time focusing on just one thing at the moment considering my time is no longer endless. I was hoping someone has been in this situation of limited time and can suggest some exercises (or a plan) that would be great to practice for 5-15 minutes at a time? I usually can get a quick practice session in the morning, maybe at lunch, and at night. Maybe a cool picado sequence or rumba chord progression. Some fairly simple things but worthwhile to play. Or maybe I should be focusing on something else?

I'm just feeling stuck at the moment and do not want to lose motivation to keep learning. I know others on the foro must have gone through similar situation with kids, school and jobs getting in the way. Any help or tips would be appreciated.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 30 2018 19:14:13

El Burdo

RE: Best way to practice in short ti... (in reply to bbfifas

Hi bbfifas - you can practice your rasgueados any time you have a free hand. You don't even need a guitar :-) [Edit: hah. Your strumming hand though]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 30 2018 20:49:09

Dudnote

RE: Best way to practice in short ti... (in reply to bbfifas

When my kids were babies I'd play guitar to help the fall asleep. It became a routine and they were even asking for it 9 years later (but not 11 years later ). When they were older and going to different clubs and classes outside school time I'd always take my guitar to practice whilst waiting. Don't use kids as an excuse not to practise and remember flamenco at it's roots was a family affair. Don't waste time talking to other parents out side clubs, take your guitar to the side and work at getting better.

Regarding direction, work on 'improvising' in the sense of moving back and forth between some basic compas variations and some basic falsettas in no pre-planned order. Include in that all the typical chord progression used to accomp cante. Perhaps keep a meteronome click in you head phones to be sure you're devloping solid compas. Keep it musical and they should sleep like babies

Ay compañerita de mi alma
tú ahora no me conoces.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 31 2018 6:46:53

bbfifas

RE: Best way to practice in short ti... (in reply to El Burdo

El Burdo, Thanks yes that is a good tip I picked up on here. Things I strum on daily basis - my desk, keyboard, steering wheel, belt, cell phone, leg....
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 31 2018 11:48:57

bbfifas

RE: Best way to practice in short ti... (in reply to Dudnote

Dudnote, thats awesome that you put your kids to bed with guitar. My daughter just turned one and she will sit next to me while I play and then she uses my guitar to pull her self up and she is learning to walk. She will mute the strings but I try to keep playing a little bit. My 3 year old son will pluck a few strings here and there with me which is fun but then he loses his attention quickly like most things.

Great idea with basic compas variations. Actually, I just got Kai's Flamenco Explained book and it has some good teachings on how to count out the compas with some typical variations. I have just started to try to count out bulerias compas and it seemed so confusing at first but now I am slowly getting a better rhythm but I have not incorporated a simple falsetta. That is something I will try next.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 31 2018 11:55:10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post