Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Guitar names   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

El Becko

Guitar names 

Hi there!

Here I come with a dummy question... I could not find the answer on the web...

I am just wondering what do flamenca guitar names mean ? They are usually a letter and a number: 3F, 1A, 7F or whatever...

Are they specific to each brand/luthier or is this a common code ?

Cheers,
Philippe
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 9 2006 11:05:06

frhout

RE: Guitar names (in reply to El Becko

I think it is not scientific. Normally C means classical and F means flamenco. 1A is normally the top model or 1A especial for the over-the-top model! The most expensive in the Conde range is Felipe V, because it's the original address. Others use names just like car models, Buleria or Mustang, Andalucia or Alpine.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 9 2006 17:03:56

El Becko

Merci Francis. I makes sense.

One day, I'll have a TestaRossa F...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 10 2006 9:33:53

Or a TestaRossa F... 1A extra

The ones ending with A´s are 1A primera (first) 2A segunda (second) etc. The rest is just...........

Some of us just build guitars

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 10 2006 10:45:31

TGerman

Becko, I can one up ya in the dumb question department so here it goes; can someone expain what is meant by blanca and negra guitars? I know it means white and black but do the terms refer to a certain type of wood used, or do they produce different sounds? Or is it simply the deep orange finish that is used on some guitars? Can anyone refer me to a site where it explains all these things, like width at nut, scale length, wood types and sounds, what is preferable, etc...

Thanks,
Todd
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 10 2006 10:47:52

Patrick

quote:

I know it means white and black but do the terms refer to a certain type of wood used, or do they produce different sounds?

Todd,

That is exactly what the difference is. Blanca's are traditionally built with backs and sides of cypress and negra’s are typically East Indian or Brazilian rosewood. Cypress will normally give a guitar a brighter, sharper tone versus rosewood. Think of a negra as a cross between a classical and a blanca. Negra’s will normally have more roundness to the tone with greater sustain.

If you were to observe the waveform of a note played on both you would see the note will rise sharply and tend to die off very fast on the blanca (less sustain). The negra note will tend to rise and die off slower (more sustain). These are just generalities as ever guitar has it's unique characteristics. I have owned several negra’s and they have all been like night and day.

More and more top players are recording with negra’s to achieve more depth of tone. Vicente Amigo is recording with DeVoe negra's and PDL has recorded with his Conde negra for years.

Here is a picture of three world-class negra’s (not mine). The one on the left is a DeVoe and in the middle an old Conde. On the right a Brazilian rosewood Aaron Green.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 10 2006 17:51:10

TANúñez

RE: Guitar names (in reply to frhout

quote:

The most expensive in the Conde range is Felipe V, because it's the original address.

frhout,

Just to clarify, the Gravina shop is the original Conde shop.

Tom Núñez
www.instagram.com/tanunezguitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 11 2006 0:30:59

TGerman

Thank you for the explanation Patrick, that really helps. What type of finish is on the Conde? I really like that color.

Which type do most people prefer? And what brand? I know that is a matter opinion but right now I have a Cordoba 30f it's a beginners guitar, ~$450 with humi-case, and I notice when plucking certain chords or doing some scale runs the guitar sounds flat and dead, so I may be in the market for a new guitar soon, any recommendations? I also looked at DeVoes web site and he currently has a 3 year waiting list! That's a long time, plus how can one justify spending thousands of dollars on a guitar without first playing it and seeing if you like the sound, basing the purchase solely on the luthiers name seems to me a risky move.

Todd
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 11 2006 12:00:48

frhout

RE: Guitar names (in reply to TANúñez

Thanks for the clarification.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 11 2006 14:14:18

Thomas Whiteley

RE: Guitar names (in reply to TGerman

quote:

how can one justify spending thousands of dollars on a guitar without first playing it and seeing if you like the sound

Toddl

I know many people that own a guitar made by Lester and they are all jewels! Sabicas liked his very much.

I do agree with you but sometimes you take a chance and are happy. I think anyone would be happy with one of Lesters guitars.

By the way I got to play the guitar Lester made for Sabicas. It is a great instrument.

Tom
http://home.comcast.net/~flamencoguitar/flamenco.html
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 11 2006 15:36:12

XXX

The violins also look very nice

The most expensive violin is worth 3 Mio. $, as ive recently heard. I started saving today, in 500 years it will be mine.

Todd, I would recommend you, if you dont have a blanca, to buy one. It is more useful to find out the flamenco tone, as opposed to classical. Most negras sound like classical. Of course however, the decision is up to you.

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 11 2006 15:50:26

Garyw1960

I have a cedar toped classical with rosewood back. I am buying a spruce fronted cypruss/sycamore backed guitar. I want to sound Flamenco even though my technique is not up to standard yet...........Negra= smooth tone. Regards Gary
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 12 2006 6:45:46

JBASHORUN

RE: Guitar names (in reply to XXX

quote:

The violins also look very nice

The most expensive violin is worth 3 Mio. $, as ive recently heard. I started saving today, in 500 years it will be mine.

LOL! Good luck saving up for that Stradavarius, Deniz! Apparently Janine Jansen plays one worth over a million £, but its just on loan to her... I guess she has to give it back at some point!

Jb
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 15 2006 20:23:32

Patrick

quote:

What type of finish is on the Conde?

That's refereed to as "Code Orange". Conde has used an orange tint in their lacquer for years. The one in the picture has a cedar top, which enhances that shade even more.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 15 2006 21:21:15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post