Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Zero Glide - Zero fret   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Product Reviews >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

mrstwinkle

Zero Glide - Zero fret 

((((First up, full disclosure. Review is based on an open packet which was sold cheap to me as it was missing sandpaper. It might in retrospect be missing one of the frets as the instructions mention 4, and only 3 came included. However as instructions seem to cover whole range and assume a non-classical in other parts, this could be misleading.))))

At 52mm wide the fret wires and nut fit almost exactly the width of my Bernal Serrania without modification. Quite a bit of filing to get it in the nut slot was needed (width-wise). It also needs ideally some sort of metal file to tidy the shape up afterwards as in the raw, it is quite tall and angular.

Installation is fairly easy as long as you're not too fussy about appearance. File it down and shove it in. They do recommend a dab of glue but I've just left it wedged in.

Setting up is also relatively easy - choose the fret which suits the height you're after. This -could- be a problem on a flamenco. On mine, it was the smallest/shortest and possibly is still a tiny fraction too high. Suspect the assumption of classical setup rather than flamenco could be the issue here.? As the fretwire butts right up against the nut, you can't file it in situ. (Reading caveat at start, my pack -may- be missing one fret however so this may be an unfair criticism. )

The frets are silver so if looking closely it doesn't match the bronze coloured fret wires on the others, which is something to consider (I hadn't thought of this...)

Another consideration is that the nut is pre slotted. In the case of mine, the slots are a tiny bit closer together than the ones on my previous nut. Only 1mm or so at outer edges, but if you're particular about this, it could be an issue. In playing, I can't say I actually noticed any difference to be honest.

Soundwise, like they claim, it sounds like you've put a capo on. Surprisingly tonally different, even considering I'd just put a new set of strings on. I like it, but can see some feeling otherwise.

Unexpected advantage is the guitar gets into tune and holds it much quicker when changing strings.

Necessity -no. If you have a really well cut high quality nut, I doubt you'll notice the difference. In my case, there was a definite improvement in clarity and consistency of tone which personally I like.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 12 2018 19:48:44
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Product Reviews >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post