Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Barras de pan - another bread thread   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Escribano

Barras de pan - another bread thread 

I love cooking from scratch and make a lot of my own bread at home. This is basically a French baguette recipe: a sticky, very lightly kneaded dough, baked with a tray of water for moisture.

Much nicer than what I could get in Granada, where I first learnt to make my own, as the bread from a bakery 200 metres from my house, was unacceptable.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 18 2018 15:46:01

El Burdo

RE: Barras de pan - another bread thread (in reply to Escribano

Looks good. How do you avoid, other than possibly by clever photography, ending up with D-shaped loaves? Is it 'the folding'?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 18 2018 16:06:58

Leñador

Looks great! You’ve inspired me to give it a go. I love a good baguette and they’re hard to come by in LA. Best ones are from Vietnamese places believe it or not.

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 18 2018 16:18:18

Escribano

RE: Barras de pan - another bread thread (in reply to El Burdo

quote:

Looks good. How do you avoid, other than possibly by clever photography, ending up with D-shaped loaves? Is it 'the folding'?

The dough is wet and sticky, so you have to put it on a tray to support the shape. I use this one. Look for a baguette baking tray.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 18 2018 16:47:52

El Burdo

I've seen those but they seem to have mixed reviews. Looks like they work OK.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 18 2018 17:05:36

[Deleted] (in reply to Escribano

[Deleted by Admins]

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 18 2018 17:12:20

Ruphus

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Mar. 18 2018 17:27:42
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 18 2018 17:16:11

Escribano

RE: Barras de pan - another bread thread (in reply to El Burdo

quote:

I've seen those but they seem to have mixed reviews. Looks like they work OK.

Oil them well or the bread will stick solid.

I remove the bread from the tray after 20 mins at 220C and put them on a rack back in the oven for 5 mins. Otherwise, they don't cook all the way through.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 18 2018 17:18:09

Escribano

RE: Barras de pan - another bread thread (in reply to Ruphus

quote:

Meaning: whatever fits in your oven, try using all the space there is.

Any more than two loaves and I would have to freeze the rest, which I don't care for. Meaning: cook what you need

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 18 2018 17:20:47

Escribano

I see you deleted your post, Ruphus. Did my reply upset you? It's just that I do not cook more than I need, as I prefer fresh bread.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 18 2018 17:48:02

Ruphus

It´s alright, Simon. Thank you for caring. :O)

Naturally, fresh one is always better.
It is only that I am lazy, so I bake more, even though air humidity here being very low / leaving bread old within very few days. But good bread retains enough of flavor for me to get by.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 18 2018 17:51:07

joselito_fletan

That is some nice looking bread! some filetitos or chorizo a la plancha would go great with that!!!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 18 2018 17:55:48

Escribano

RE: Barras de pan - another bread thread (in reply to Ruphus

quote:

It is only that I am lazy, so I bake more, even though air humidity here being very low / leaving bread old within very few days. But good bread retains enough of flavor for me to get by.

True enough. It can be always be refreshed with a little water and back into the oven for 5 mins.

If I was to depend on it, I would cook more I guess, but when I was in Spain, it was a nice way to spend an afternoon. I experiment with flat breads and pan-fried soda breads too. They are good.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 18 2018 18:07:33

Escribano

RE: Barras de pan - another bread thread (in reply to joselito_fletan

quote:

That is some nice looking bread! some filetitos or chorizo a la plancha would go great with that!!!

Certainly would. I like peanut butter, cream cheese and celery sandwiches and tonight, I will use some of it to make garlic and cheese bread to go with the spaghetti bolognese I made last night.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 18 2018 18:09:28

Ruphus

Man, I could kill for a meal with fine bread like above baguette and a plate of different cheeses, specially hard cheese and especially specimen like Appenzeller!

But there is a delicious alternative in the fresh category, and when I woke up this morning it came to mind that I must overcome the laziness and finally make quark again.

Quark is a sort of fresh cheese common in German language countries. Even in supply Cockaigne like the USA scarcely found (and if so, expensive).
This make is already truly delicious by itself, but what I´m aiming at is an emulation of herb mascarpone.

Usually that Italian dairy variety is exclusively known as a sweet ingredient, but folks don´t know what a waste it is to miss out on its salty herb variation on fresh bread.
Don´t know what herbs the Italians use for it, and couldn´t find out on the internet, but shall improvise something.

Having some acquaintances here who already dig in a big way yours truly´s mix bread (presented in a former thread), I shall invite them to increase the pleasure through a gathering with the mascarpone emulation on the table, and at that opportunity introduce them to garlic butter too, which is unknown here as well.
-

Bolognese was the first true recipe that I learned.
As you know every family there has their own recipe. Originally kind of orthodox with the kind of preparation used to, I discovered after some years that adding finely chopped carrot only late (little before the spice), so that it will retain al dente, yields a nice oral consistence.
However, only in small proportion, otherwise it will make things too sweet and override the main character of dish.

-As you know well, while warming up yours today, dishes like Bolognese do taste best when they have rested and get warmed up again. (Mentioning it for folks who might not be aware.)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 19 2018 6:55:36

Ruphus

C´mon, here´s another one while we are at cuisine.

Me had a little conversation this week with the staff from Impossible Foods.
Being totally taken by their approach to artificial meat. And they seem to be getting better day by day with the meaty quality. Now delivering their hamburgers to over 500 restaurants in the USA.

And Mr. Brown, the founder, really has some ideal.
As I learned as of late, also planing to distribute the production technology to farmers worldwide, so that they may make artificial meat products by themselves (and not just beef substitute / there will be more of kinds).

If interested in the vision: https://medium.com/impossible-foods/the-mission-that-motivates-us-d4d7de61665
-

My personal seek for a lesser perfected substitute (after having experienced two or three tasty alternatives, unfortunately without noting them down) and after lots of disappointing ready-made stuff.

As people (especially of the working class) in Central America substitute meat long since, usually through varieties of beans, I improvised something last week, and found it quite decently well tasting. And as its meatball-like smell somehow kept lingering in the kitchen, me made some again yesterday with slightly varied spicing.

If anyone likes to try:

One can use ready cooked ones like canned kidney beans (and pour off all the liquid) or cook basically any sort of beans (protein and nutrition wise most substantial are white peas). Taste wise, if you can get your hands on black beans, I would suggest those.

Procedure the way I tried:

Cooked the beans, drained off the water.
Added some rolled outs, finely chopped onions, chili, paprika, curcuma, one egg and salt and mashed the whole thing.
You´ll see that the rolled outs gives the mix a consistency like minced meat. And it even looks like a mix of minced beef and pork.
Then formed flat balls and fried them, voilá!

Simon, now I messed up your thread; sorry!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 19 2018 7:36:43
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post