Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Get them young   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Escribano

Get them young 

One of my lovely great-nieces learning the electric style. She wants to be a rock star and she just might be, one day. She's only eight

She likes the Strat. Apologies for the hat and the crocs. Chillin' at home.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 10 2018 21:16:08

Pgh_flamenco

RE: Get them young (in reply to Escribano

quote:

She wants to be a rock star and she just might be, one day. She's only eight

Good for you, Simon and best of luck to your niece as she starts her musical journey!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 10 2018 23:05:07

kitarist

I am admiring the quality of the photograph. So well done!

Konstantin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 11 2018 1:02:58

julianev

My 4 yr old getting to grips with a Jim Dunlop wah wah pedal and valve amp distortion for the first time - he had a very, very large grin on his face afterwards! His normal weapon of choice is a 1/4 size Yamaha guitalele

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 12 2018 12:17:46

Sr. Martins

No spanish wood boxes for them?

"Ya no me conoce el sol, porque yo duermo de dia"
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 12 2018 12:24:35

julianev

quote:

Or you could bypass the quarter-sawing, etc and go straight to the source - behold "the guitree", aka electric pedal steel treetrunk guitar. This was part of my educational effort to explain how the distinction between instrument and non-instrument is an arbitrary human construct, and that in fact everything can be music!

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 12 2018 14:22:32

Escribano

RE: Get them young (in reply to Sr. Martins

quote:

It is self-evident that non-Spanish flamenco guitarists start on the electric guitar

If you look closely you will see the headstock of her 3/4 classical in the background.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 12 2018 17:04:32

Leñador

Awesome stuff!
My nephew just started classical guitar, I think he's 13. I keep sending my brother Paco and Sabicas youtube videos to try and bring him to the dark side.

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 12 2018 17:10:15

tele

I bought a small nylon stringed guitar to my young cousin, but it was visible very soon it was waste of money, even though he wanted to play a lot. It takes a certain kind of person to be able to play guitar and have the determination to learn, even if just for own enjoyment.
I think each kid should have the chance to discover an instrument, some poor guitarists could actually become killer drummers or something else.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 22 2018 19:41:44

Ruphus

RE: Get them young (in reply to tele

quote:

ORIGINAL: tele

I bought a small nylon stringed guitar to my young cousin, but it was visible very soon it was waste of money, even though he wanted to play a lot.

Unfortunately all of the guitars that I donated (six, plus one which a friend of mine presented to the daughter of my cousin) have been a waste, and some even pearl before swine, as valuable instruments were ruined in no time.

After the last case with a classical guitar for children (man, would I had appreciated such as a kid!), she called me to ask what I could tell her about strats. I replied something in the way of: "Seeing how your passion with the classical guitar diminished in short time, I assume that you are thinking of the glory on stage instead of of the music. Don´t trouble your dad with the quest for a new guitar for matters of prestige."

Anyway, in the future I shall think twice and make sure that the person be truley passionate in the first place. There is no support for the arts through wasting instruments. (Like with that Torres which got scraped as toy for a spoiled Argentinian girl.)

During my education as a Wing Tsun teacher, we were reminded all the time to give no lessons (around 80 EUR per 45 min. at that time) for free, for people were just not able of appreciating things that come in for free.

Remembering the maltreated instruments, I guess there being something to the idea indeed.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 23 2018 12:22:55

mrstwinkle

Crocs and socks - you cheeky fashion rebel!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 23 2018 15:11:52

Escribano

RE: Get them young (in reply to mrstwinkle

quote:

Crocs and socks - you cheeky fashion rebel!

I tried a number of slippers without success, so the Crocs won and the socks because it has been cold here I got them in Palermo, though. So they are kind of cool.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 23 2018 16:41:16

Escribano

RE: Get them young (in reply to Ruphus

Many truths here. I gave my nephew my nice 1970 Gibson SG when he was 16, only for him to quit his 'band' and never play again. I asked for it back but he said he was proud of it, on display in his house.

Then I find out that he dumped it with my niece years ago, so I am going to get it back without his knowledge.

Ungrateful little bastard. My great-niece isn't getting the Strat, either.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 23 2018 16:44:46

Piwin

Maybe I'm a bad person but for me that's where the cheap store-bought guitars come in. My girlfriend expressed interest in learning to play folk guitar a few years ago. The guitar I got her cost me something around 100 euros. And tbh it was a very decent instrument for that price. Don't think I could have found that kind of quality for so little when I started learning. Anyways, now it's a decorative piece... and a nagging piece of furniture for her new fiancé.

"Anything you do can be fixed. What you cannot fix is the perfection of a blank page. What you cannot fix is that pristine, unsullied whiteness of a screen or a page with nothing on it—because there’s nothing there to fix."
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 23 2018 17:00:22

Mark2

I guess that's one of the few advantages of playing left handed-no one wants my guitars.....I don't have to worry about some kid losing interest and spray painting my PRS. OTOH, when I leave the guitars to my kids, they will most likely be sold. I have bought a few right handed guitars and given them away-no one ever did anything with them that I know of.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 23 2018 17:29:29

tele

RE: Get them young (in reply to Mark2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark2

I guess that's one of the few advantages of playing left handed-no one wants my guitars.....I don't have to worry about some kid losing interest and spray painting my PRS. OTOH, when I leave the guitars to my kids, they will most likely be sold. I have bought a few right handed guitars and given them away-no one ever did anything with them that I know of.

I'd rather be cremated with my favourite axe than let someone sell it after I'm gone

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 24 2018 12:14:05

gondorbell

nice pic :)

“I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.” -Tom Waits-
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 24 2018 13:36:27
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages