Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Other aspects of carbon vs nylon strings   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

2xbass

Other aspects of carbon vs nylon strings 

I think carbon vs nylon is an age-old topic and I feel like I’ve read pretty much everything about it. I’m currently playing carbon (D’Addario EJ46FF) strings on all my guitars and I like them very much for the volume, tone (without being too bright), and stability of tuning. Additionally for certain guitars, I can get really high tension from the EJ46FF that I can’t get from other strings, at least on the first string which seems to have the highest tension of any string I’m aware of.

However there are two things that are making me wonder about going back to nylons and I’ve never seen anything written about these. They are:

1) Are (thicker gauge) nylon strings easier to execute hammer-ons and pull-offs? “Easier to execute” mostly meaning that they sound more clearly.

2) Are (thicker gauge) nylon strings easier to deal with in the left and right hand when one finds the string spacing already a bit narrow?

Without having yet tried the experiment, I’m not entirely sure what I would expect to be the behavior in both cases. For 1), on one hand I tend to think that perhaps thicker strings should make for better hammer-ons and pull-offs but then I think about electric guitar strings where it’s dead easier to do those things and have them sound clearly. For 2) I’m thinking that perhaps if the strings are thicker, the tops of the strings also sit marginally higher away from the instrument which should make it easier to fret/grab the strings.

Thoughts? I will probably try the experiment today anyway.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 5 2018 13:29:34

kitarist

RE: Other aspects of carbon vs nylon... (in reply to 2xbass

To me what you describe are issues pointing towards your LH technique. Improving it will solve both. I wouldn't mess with thicker/nylon strings as a "fix" - it is like treating a symptom rather than addressing the underlying issue.

As to details - from your somewhat general description - the string spacing/finding string issue definitely sounds like you have to work on your precision and consistency of landing LH fingers on strings. Not sure what your LH setup and approach to fretboard is though - there might be several things compounding.

The slurs issue - for clear sound you have to execute quick sudden movements cleanly - snap it on/off but with precision. That does not depend on how thick the string is - if anything, thicker nylon is likely harder to make a clear sound on when slurring. (the metal string on metal fret slurs are easy but not because of how thin the strings are)

Konstantin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 5 2018 16:37:49

2xbass

RE: Other aspects of carbon vs nylon... (in reply to 2xbass

Hi Konstantin. Thanks for replying. I’m not looking for different strings as a fix but for certain I’m always trying to improve my technique. I’m just wondering about other aspects of these different types of strings that I don’t see ever discussed. I personally prefer wider spacing - like 44 or 45 mm at the nut but sometimes that’s not possible especially on older guitars with necks narrowed than 52 mm.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 5 2018 18:52:32
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post