Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Toros   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1] 2 3 4    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Morante

Toros 

If you do not understand the cultura de Andalucía where toros are muy queridos and toros and flamenco are hermanos, if you don´t understand cante jondo, if you have a closed mind, do not open this video.

Sorry Piwin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 16 2017 13:44:37

Piwin

RE: Toros (in reply to Morante

Either my computer is playing tricks on me again

or you forgot the video

edit: no problem. I can see it now!

The corrales del Batan in Madrid are completely out of use now. It's overgrown with grass and looks all but abandoned. The site still hosts a school, so every now and again I'll see the kids practicing in the surrounding park, one running around with a pair of horns while the others practice their thing, but I haven't seen a bull anywhere near there in the few years I've been here. On weekends the parking lot in front of the corrales fills up. Even a few "gorilas" show up, which is fairly rare in Madrid. But they're only there to go to the nearby amusement parc. At most, they'll glance at the corrales but that's it. During the week, hardly anybody stops there. There's always the odd car parked in the far corner under the trees near the corrales, no doubt customers of the few African hookers who work there (segregation in prostitution apparently: all the Spanish girls stay a few hundred meters away up near the zoo, which is also a gay pick-up spot, which I found out the hard way one day when I was changing next to my car before going for a run...).

"Anything you do can be fixed. What you cannot fix is the perfection of a blank page. What you cannot fix is that pristine, unsullied whiteness of a screen or a page with nothing on it—because there’s nothing there to fix."
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 16 2017 13:56:02

mark indigo

the sound keeps dipping out of the vid... bulls on the hillside and the guys rounding them up on horseback is an amazing sight though.... I'm about half way through. not sure about some of the music...

when i was a kid i lived with my grandad, and he used to raise bullocks (not the same as toros by a long way I know, but read on). when they moved them from one field to another they used to stand me in the entrance way to a track to the woods and tell me to stop any of the animals from going off up the track.... i was only 8 or 9 and they were massive terrifying beasts thundering towards me!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 16 2017 16:24:13

Ricardo

Can't resist

https://youtu.be/UHUPWttyORY

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 16 2017 18:55:09

rayian

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Dec. 17 2017 6:05:28
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2017 6:05:18

rayian

quote:

if you have a closed mind, do not open this video.

I don't get it. Does this mean that if I have an open mind I would accept bullfighting as a reasonable idea that should be embraced?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2017 6:10:18

Ruphus

RE: Toros (in reply to rayian

quote:

ORIGINAL: rayian

quote:

if you have a closed mind, do not open this video.

I don't get it. Does this mean that if I have an open mind I would accept bullfighting as a reasonable idea that should be embraced?

No.
What Morante means is to be open for being provoked and then pierced in neck and upper body with swords until you suffocate from your own blood. No big deal, really, but pleasure gain for humans with a trivial self-image that takes perfidy and cruelty against thirds first, for to appreciate own intact being.

Close-minded on the other hand pussies who would scream already when touched with a knitting needle; something a true hermanos would never do. At least not for as long as the stabbing occurs to someone else.

Quite like with real titans who rock out of boxing venues after having cheered, waved and whistled at thirds who take the punches.

They have no clue of what balls it takes to separate opponents, nor as to why one could be interfering at all instead of peeping. The latter taking empathical skills which again tend to come with intellect. Both of which command efforts.
-

Being a pussy myself and too exhausted since many years for to watch ogre happenings, me notwithstandingly came to see a documentary recently in which remaining of cattle and sheep was shown which is being exported from Europe to oriental sphere that once inspired corrales spectacles.

Cows taken by cranes at their horns or single legs, with horns breaking off / the animals dropping from around 10 m height, joints separating etc. Smashed and dying from thirst and pain they get trucked to slaughter houses. There crowds of sadistic psychopaths are waiting who get a kick from working themselves off in ways that you have not seen yet. And that routinely which each delivery. They beat and stab with iron poles, then cut the leg tendons so that voluntarily the animals can´t walk anymore, which again gives the torturers another kick and reason to work up into a frenzy and make the creatures move forward on whatever way. Now they stab out the eyes, kick them in the faces full whack and terrify the screaming crawling creatures one by one into desired direction.

In the meantime hordes of children have gathered, enjoying the hours long manly hood of grown-ups and learning how to become future heroes themselves.

Manly hood at expense of exposed and defenseless is what defines a real valiant.

To hell in the meantime with psychology that states how simple minds are channeling inferiority complex. How they are especially provoked by physical superiority (cattle), exposed being (sheep / intimated dogs) or elegance (cats).

One single cows path, originating from a German breeder and family business whose dealings show by the confidingness of their superb and cute looking cattle, was tracked by the TV crew. And they showed a video to the family of how their cow ended up in Libanon (or Egypt, don´t remember exactly). The people were utterly devastated and depressed.

No life stock (nor pets) must be delivered to the Middle East and Asia anymore. No one should care about their desire to ensure cruel religious slaughtering, nor expose dogs or cats or any other creature to such realm.

Culture shows in dealing with each other and with fellow creature.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2017 8:43:18

Piwin

RE: Toros (in reply to rayian

It means that there is a relationship there that many of us foreigners like to gloss over because it makes us uncomfortable. There's a reason why arguably one of the best works of solo guitarra was called "tauromagia", and there's a reason why good cante is dying out at the same time as corrida. They're different facets of the same culture. It makes sense for someone who has gone all in and lives and breathes that culture like Morante to remind us from time to time what that culture is really like, to those of us who are sitting on the sidelines picking and choosing the aspects we like or don't like as if culture were a menu.

"Anything you do can be fixed. What you cannot fix is the perfection of a blank page. What you cannot fix is that pristine, unsullied whiteness of a screen or a page with nothing on it—because there’s nothing there to fix."
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2017 12:14:55

Ruphus

You are totally right.
I for one admit to be cherry-picking.

And am convinced that flamenco can continue without animal torture.
Even without other traditional characteristics like machismo, patriarchy or superstition.

-The blues survived without slavery too. And in fact even pretty well.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2017 12:55:48

callemunicion

Olé Ruphus!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2017 13:16:03

Piwin

RE: Toros (in reply to Ruphus

quote:

The blues survived without slavery too. And in fact even pretty well

Blues coalesced into a musical genre after the abolition of slavery in the US. Hard to argue that it survived something it wasn't even around yet to witness... The work songs and field hollers of slaves definitely fed into blues, but they're rightly considered different genres. The same way we distinguish negro-spirituals from gospel music, ante- and post-bellum music as I understand it. Since music is the product of human beings, it's hard to imagine how it wouldn't change with these cultural shifts. Change the people, change the music.

And so with flamenco. The people are changing, and so is the music. Rito y Geografia type of flamenco is soon to be something of the past. That culture is dying. Every time the name of one of the older cantaores shows up in the obituary section of the newspaper, it's like witnessing the disappearance of a language, one speaker at a time. And some of the things I've heard Morante say about what he's tried to do are very similar to what linguists do when a language is disappearing. If you know it's going extinct, then all you can do is try to document it, keep a record of it for the memory of humankind. Maybe we'll keep the name "flamenco" but it's hard to underestimate how big a change has occured. And those who are attached to that culture are entitled to mourn its disappearance.

But I'm like you, a cherry-picker. There's a very strong religious underlay in certain gipsy communities and here they are being steamrolled by American-style evangelism. But whether it's the more traditional forms of Catholicism or this new brand of Protestantism, I don't adhere to either. I'm on the fence about corrida, tending to be against it but probably with a more open mind than many who are against just out of principle but have never taken a close look at the practice (omnivores like me don't really have much of a leg to stand on when we say we're against it...). I've had drawn-out discussions with ganaderos and with a few people from the nearby school who hang out at the same bars I do. It's hard to overstate the reverence they have for bulls (and in an equal measure for horses). The point being that it's unfair to dismiss the whole thing as just a horrible practice, only in terms of animal welfare, without considering everything else it involves, and too many people are quick to doing just that.

So basically I disagree with you that flamenco will survive without the underlying culture. A simple experiment is to go to a torino bar and then go to a vegan bar. Look at the people there and tell me which will make flamenco worth a salt... Maybe the senoritos at the vegan bar will make flamenco, but nobody from the torino bar would recognize it as such. It would just be too different. That kind of flamenco is gasping for its last few breaths before it passes on. So goes it. I'm not much for the "old-school" vs. "modern" flamenco debate, not much for voicing an opinion on whether one is better than the other. But I can remain neutral about that and still observe that one is dying out, and those who held to that kind of flamenco are very fearful that the essence of their art got completely lost in the shuffle.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2017 14:03:09

rayian

quote:

those of us who are sitting on the sidelines picking and choosing the aspects we like or don't like

That's me. Anyway, that's how we evolve. Natural selection and all that. We cultivate what we consider to be positive and we weed out what is considered negative.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2017 14:24:00

Ruphus

RE: Toros (in reply to Piwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Piwin

The point being that it's unfair to dismiss the whole thing as just a horrible practice, only in terms of animal welfare, without considering everything else it involves, and too many people are quick to doing just that.

The term "only" is entirely disproportional. Because "only" is the deeming, while definite is the suffering.

No suffering should ever be subordinated to opinion of thirds.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2017 14:46:24

Piwin

Really? That's all you got from that whole post?
wow...

And here I was thinking I was making a point about how culture changes but apparently I was making a simplistic and absolutist claim about animal welfare. I hope our descendants are kinder to you and your sense of certainty than you are towards others and their own cultural certainties.

@rayian
I hear you. I'm just trying to bring out the fact that sometimes things are part of a whole, and sometimes getting rid of the "negative" also means getting rid of the "positive".

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2017 14:58:14

Ruphus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Piwin

I hope our descendants are kinder to you and your sense of certainty than you are towards others and their own cultural certainties.

You mean like continuing newborn surgery without anesthetics (as been done until early 20th centruy, for physicians until then assuming that newborns weren´t neuronal developed yet. - In spite of patient´s clear reactions), for to not hurt anyone´s feelings?

No thanks. Diplomatics come in second raw for me.
I prefer reserving empathy for actual pain and prioritizing the definite.

Pain is no culturally determined uncertainty. It just stays what it is.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2017 15:54:32

El Kiko

I get it .. Lots get it ....Lots dont get it ... if you live in Andalucia , you will be involved in the world of Toros eventually ,, more or less,, depends on yourself ...
Some dont like it , especially those from outside .. and they ask ..if this is
¿tradición o maltrato?
Its been going for centuries and the main toreros are like what here is the Football stars , However popular , traditional and even family run it is it naturally is dying away a bit anyway , without doing anything, each year now less young people want to do it .. “Los niños ya no quieren ser toreros”
Yet to watch it , it can still be full in the stadium ... and its open to all ages ...
Remember , as in all things , money moves things along , and the Plaza del Toros is still big money ...all the way down the line ,,
they need grow the right Bulls , training , publicity , transport , ambulances , food drink ... big list here ...
It also depends on if they get government support or not , at a local level.
However . el toro y el torero nunca han luchado en igualdad de condiciones..
Its just a part of life depending on where you live , . to not have it . even if you dont want it , would be ..different ...

Don't trust Atoms.....they make up everything.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2017 16:21:27

edguerin

I think Piwin has described the cultural situation very well.
Observing socio-cultural aspects isn't the same as condoning certain practices.

I for one would loathe cannibalism, but not the people who practiced it within their culture..
I detest the death-penalty, I don't detest Americans

Ed

El aficionado solitario
Alemania
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2017 16:25:00

rayian

quote:

I'm just trying to bring out the fact that sometimes things are part of a whole, and sometimes getting rid of the "negative" also means getting rid of the "positive".

I get your overall point. I guess I'm thinking on a personal level where its easy to make a choice for one and discard the other in theory. It's not for me to judge other cultures. But just as I can make choices so can those of other cultures and over time the result of those choices will bring a new culture. I know it's not so easy for people to shed what they're born into. I see it all around me but I'm the guy you'd find in the vegan bar so I know it can be done.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2017 16:49:39

Piwin

Yes Ruphus, even them.

You're in a position where you're condemning basically every single human being who came before you because noone in the past can stand the scrutiny of contemporary morality. And I sure as hell hope that this development of morality continues well into the future. In other words, I hope that my descendants will be far more moral than I ever was, that they will discover and solve moral issues that I had never even thought of because the time and society I lived in hadn't reached a point yet to make those questions accessible. I hope that we will continue to develop so that they are in a position to condemn me. If they can condemn me, that just means we've gotten better. And isn't that what we want? For things to get better?

And yet, I also hope they will see that, even though I inevitably failed to meet their own future standards, I did the best with what was available to me. I empathize with my predecessors just as I hope future generations will empathize with me.

Yours is a position where each generation is alone on the top, separating themselves from and condemning everyone else before them. My position is one of kinship with those that came before and those that will come after. Because you know what, the moral issue that we will be seen as being appallingly guilty of by future generations is something we haven't even thought of yet. We're all so certain is animal welfare or environmental issues but we simply have no way of knowing what we'll be judged on. If we continue in the right direction, there will come a day where current medical treatments will seem as arcane and barbaric as blood-letting seems to us. Whatever the moral issue is, we most likely don't even know we're doing it/not doing it. Who knows what unimaginable pain and suffering you are causing to someone/something completely unbeknownst to you. If your reaction to past generations is just "how on earth could they have missed those obvious signs?", then don't be surprised that future generations will treat you exactly the same, and there's no doubt in my mind that we have all already failed to meet their future standards of morality.

That's not to say you should act like what they did was right by your own standards. Of course not.

@rayian I think we more or less agree. It's like you said: "the result of those choices will bring in a new culture".

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2017 17:09:13

BarkellWH

Long before I had seen my first corrida I had read Ernest Hemingway's "Death in the Afternoon," which, in my opinion, is still the finest narrative explanation and historical record of the meaning and great names associated with the "art" and "ritual" in Spain (at least up to the time it was published). I appreciate what the corrida means to the Spaniard, but one must recognize that although matadors must indeed be brave, there is much more to the ballet taking place than just the brave matador facing the bull.

Before the matador even faces the bull, the picador on horseback has greatly weakened the bull by lancing the neck muscles. And the Bandarillas have further weakened the bull by placing their smaller lances in his neck. In other words, the matador is not facing a bull with full strength. Now that's something that would really take courage. Instead, he faces a bull that has been deliberately weakened to give the matador a much greater edge. With this in mind, one can conclude that the matador may not be as brave as he appears to be.

Although it is a ritual, the corrida is as sadistic a piece of entertainment as were the gladiatorial contests in Rome, or bear baiting, or cock fighting and dog fighting are today. Any endeavor, whether it is considered "ritual" or not, that depends on taunting and tormenting animals and resulting in their death, cannot be considered civilized entertainment in today's more enlightened world.

The corrida was banned in Catalonia by a vote of the Catalan Parliament in July 2010. The ban came into effect on 1 January 2012. The last bullfight in the region took place in Barcelona in September 2011. The Catalans are ahead of their other Spanish compatriots in recognizing that the practice has no place in civilized society today.

I expect that the corrida will eventually die out (albeit over a long period of time) in the rest of Spain. Ironically, like the Spanish language as it was spoken in an earlier era, the corrida may continue to be found in Spain's New World ex-colonies such as Colombia long after it has died out in Spain. Although my guess is it will die out in Mexico before Colombia, at some point in the distant future it probably will be banned everywhere.

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2017 17:42:11

Piwin

RE: Toros (in reply to BarkellWH

And yet, if when I die I end up in front of Vishnu and he gives me the choice between being reincarnated into a toro de lidia in Spain or a cow in the US farming system, I'd choose toro de lidia without a doubt. Concealing a death far away from the eyes of the public doesn't make it any more humane. And, even if it's very very slim, I would still have a chance at getting out of it alive, which my counterparts in the farming system don't have, and a slim chance is better than none. Of course, if Vishnu was kind enough to include a third option: growing up wild, I'd take that one!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2017 18:25:01

Ricardo

quote:

-The blues survived without slavery too. And in fact even pretty well.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2017 19:53:47

BarkellWH

The death of cattle in the U.S. cattle industry is not deliberately "concealed" from the public. Moreover, cattle are killed as quickly as possible in order to avoid suffering and for efficiency, and the ultimate purpose is to provide food.

To provide food for a population is the purpose of the beef industry. That is a far cry from the Corrida, which is to provide "entertainment" for the public. And the "entertainment" the Corrida provides is accomplished by weakening the poor beast so as to give the matador an edge, as I noted above. There is no comparison between the U.S. cattle industry and the Corrida, neither in terms of raison d'etre nor how the process is carried out.

Bill

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2017 20:01:57

Piwin

Admittedly I'm playing devil's advocate, since I'm not much of a corrida lover.
I'm just passing on arguments I've heard from aficionados.

I would disagree however that what goes on in slaughterhouses isn't intentionally concealed from the public. Ever since slaughterhouses and markets were moved out of city centers, there's been an ever increasing disconnect between the consumer's idea of meat and the reality of what goes on. In today's climate, it's really not in the interest of the meat industry to shine a spotlight on what goes on in slaughterhouses (it does seem notoriously difficult to obtain legal footage inside a slaughterhouse these days). Western consumers just aren't equipped anymore to look their meat in the eyes and kill it. (oh and I said US just because I was answering your post, but of course it applies to any form of factory farming anywhere).

so, amongst these arguments I've heard, here are a few:

- the "purpose argument" is a red herring, since toro de lidia is eaten, and is in fact considered to be some of the most "organic" meat out there. Although I agree that it looks like a pretty sly manœuvre, an aficionado can very well turn the optics of corrida on its head and say that the purpose is consumption, just with a smart monetization scheme around the actual slaughtering. They're celebrating the life and death that feeds them.

- those who are against corrida always point out that that cattle for human consumption dies faster on the day it dies, that it suffers less at that moment of death. Leaving out all the scandals that come out all the time showing the discrepancy between how things theoretically work in a slaughterhouse and how they actually work, we could just notice that the anti-corrida always leave out everything that happens before the animal's death. Toro de lidia are reared in semi-wilderness, in outstanding living conditions compared to what is reserved for most of our cattle for consumption. It's built into the system. After all, the ganadero's honor and pride is at stake if he doesn't provide a bull that is in perfect health (and you can really tell the difference. Toro de lidia tastes more like wild game than regular beef). If our issue is animal welfare, then it is not enough to focus only on how the animal is put to death. One must consider how the animal is treated from birth all the way up to its death. And when you factor that in, the balance shifts pretty clearly to the side of the ganaderos de lidia.

All I can say is that conversing with aficionados is a risky business. They're used to arguing this stuff and they have some pretty solid points. Oftentimes they force us to reconsider our own position if we are "omnivores" against corrida. Beware talking with aficionados, they just might make you go vegan!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2017 20:37:37

BarkellWH

quote:

- the "purpose argument" is a red herring, since toro de lidia is eaten, and is in fact considered to be some of the most "organic" meat out there. Although I agree that it looks like a pretty sly manœuvre, an aficionado can very well turn the optics of corrida on its head and say that the purpose is consumption, just with a smart monetization scheme around the actual slaughtering. They're celebrating the life and death that feeds them.

I realize that you are channeling the argument of the "aficionado" of the Corrida, Piwin. Nevertheless, it would be easy to debate the "purpose" argument with the aficionado. His argument, as you state it above, that the "purpose is consumption," is the red herring. The purpose of the Corrida is clearly cultural in nature. That the Toro is taken away and eaten after being killed in the Corrida is secondary. The Corrida itself, with all of its pomp, "excitement," and cultural significance, so well stated by Morante over the years, is its own justification. I'm afraid the aficionado would lose the debate to a high school sophomore if he persisted in that argument.

Bill

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2017 21:01:17

Piwin

I agree. There is a pivot on that one, although a pretty unfair one. They move to discussing whether the purpose matters at all. Hearing an aficionado bring up consequentialism vs. deontology is pretty surprising, but it's happened to me before...

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2017 21:13:58

Richard Jernigan

For insight into the culture which supported the last great era of popularity for the corrida, you might try the extended and detailed biography "Or I'll Dress You in Mourning," of the famous matador Manuel Benitez Perez "El Cordobes."

The book details the long and painful escape of Benitiez from oppression, prejudice, and not just hunger, but starvation. El Cordobes was one of hundreds, perhaps thousands of young men who walked from village to village, hoping for a chance to perform in the makeshift corridas of village fiestas to make a little money, in hopes of finding a way out of the beastly life of the landless peasant.

The occasional hour of cruelty to a bull was the direct result of centuries of cruelty to millions of humans. So was cante.

We condemn cruelty to the bull, as I for one believe we should, but we tend not to dwell on what produced the likes of Agujetas--who narrowly avoided starvation by singing for bread crusts as a boy at the restaurant tables of the prosperous.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2017 21:47:50

Morante

I am a little surprised by the violent reaction to my original post, since it was about the care of toros in the campo and did not feature scenes from la corrida. Still, it seems that the word "toro" is sufficient to bring out the self righteous hate brigade.

If you eat any kind of meat or chicken, you are condoning the dreadful cruelty of today´s slaughterhouses: try a google search on abattoir cruelty if you do not believe me. And I do not believe for one moment that the slaughterhouses of the U.S. conform to the rosy picture painted by BarkellWH.

If you are of sensitive nature, do not open this link, but it is one of many:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/harrowing-undercover-footage-butchers-abattoir-5124981
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2017 22:15:14

BarkellWH

RE: Toros (in reply to Richard Jernigan

quote:

The occasional hour of cruelty to a bull was the direct result of centuries of cruelty to millions of humans.

The culture of the Corrida was, and is, much more than the "direct result of centuries of cruelty to millions of humans." The culture of the Corrida has more to do with the Spanish concept of perceived machismo, honor, and courage than it does with some sort of reaction to cruelty to humans throughout the centuries. No one who attends a Corrida does so thinking he is responding to the perceived "cruelty" visited upon his ancestors. The Corrida is a spectacle that justifies itself to the aficionados in Spain in the same way that the Super Bowl justifies itself to fans in the U.S.

Bill

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 18 2017 1:23:59

BarkellWH

quote:

And I do not believe for one moment that the slaughterhouses of the U.S. conform to the rosy picture painted by BarkellWH.

Had you written this 60 years ago you would have had a case. Morante. In fact, today the slaughterhouses in the U.S. are as I have described them. They are much more efficient and humane. There will always be those who condemn the killing of any animals for food. Nevertheless, I would argue that killing animals to provide sustenance for humans is a much more noble activity than the spectacle of killing them for "entertainment."

Just a rhetorical question, but why would anyone think that the killing of a Toro by a Matador who has taken advantage of the bull weakened by the picador lancing the Toro's neck muscles and the banderillas placed in the neck weakening them even more is more noble than a cockfight in which two cocks fight with razor-sharp blades on their spurs, ending with one killing the other with a slashing blade?

Bill

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 18 2017 1:40:51
Page:   [1] 2 3 4    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1] 2 3 4    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages