Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Plugging tuner holes   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

JasonM

Plugging tuner holes 

As predicted, I messed up drilling the tuner holes in the headstock. For a patch, I preferred to use Spanish cedar over an oak dowel. I found this cool idea for a dowel cutter on YouTube and it worked pretty good.

I drilled a 13/32 hole in 1/4 mild steel. Then two overlapping 1/4 holes which act as the cutters. Followed by two divots for the chips.
Chuck the wood in a drill and drive it through the hole and you get a custom dowel!

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (2)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 27 2017 23:49:01

estebanana

RE: Plugging tuner holes (in reply to JasonM

There's a better way. And it's possible to make it invisible.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 27 2017 23:55:08

JasonM

RE: Plugging tuner holes (in reply to estebanana

Invisible? Surely not as fun as using the dowel cutting jig! I was concerned about how it will look exposed by the slots- which I'm sure will be visable on my headstock.

Is it a trade secret?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 28 2017 1:30:22

estebanana

I'm away from home today, when I get back I'll show

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 28 2017 3:36:40

estebanana

It looks like fun to make dowels.

The grain orientation is the thing. Get a plug cutter a little over 10 mm, like 12mm or so. Use the drill press to cut plugs from the same stock as the head of the guitar. Take the plug form the side of the board, the same side you drill into to make the hole for the tuners roller.

get a 30:1 reamer or make one with rough sandpaper wrapped and glued over a dowel that you taper with a plane and file carefully. You can pick taper. I have a small lathe for making a tapered sanding dowel.

Then hold the plug in a vice and file it to the same taper, it's not hard. Or chuck the plug up in a drill or drill press on low speed and use a file. You should taper it slightly. Make a few of them.

Take the sandpaper reamer, and taper the roller carefully so it's slightly larger on the outside. The tuner plate will cover it. Now fit your tapered plug into the roller hole, it should stick out on the inside. You'll cut it off later with a sharp chisel. The twirl the plug until the grain aligns with the existing grain in the headstock. Then pull out see the places it rubs and pare them off with a scalpel ot some really hyper sharp knife and fit it again with the same grain orientation.

Once you're happy the grain is aligned and the fit is tight, put hot hide glue on it and push it in quick. It probably doe snot need a clamp. Leave it over night and trim it the next day with the hyper sharp paring chisel.

Theres one more way too that is faster. I can tell that one too. But the way I explained is a route an invisible repair.

( EDIT) I did not see your picture. I thought you had already cut the front of the headstock open with string slots.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 29 2017 8:57:32

JasonM

RE: Plugging tuner holes (in reply to estebanana

Ahh I see. That sounds like a solid smart solution with the taper. I didn't have a plug cutter that was long enough but I also didn't want to enlarge the middle hole too much because it was already at the veneer.
I made my dowels with the same grain orientation and they fit perfectly but a plug cutter would be faster because I had to trim them to fit through the die.

None the less, my second go at drilling them was better but still above the centerline. I remade my jig for the other side which worked out. I'm gonna shovel on at this point though, there will be new mistakes to conquer. I will say though, my anxiety over being able to fix mistakes has lessened so far.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 29 2017 16:25:26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post