Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

preamp into preamp   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

laughingstock

preamp into preamp 

So I'm having an LR Baggs Dual Source put into one of my guitars. Should be pretty straight forward. I have another guitar that I'd like to electrify and use for gigs. It has a cut-away and is good for Gypsy King like jams that I've been sitting in on with a group that only does THAT. Not my thing but it can be fun. Anyhow, it comes with a "hexagonic" pickup. I bought a Barcus Beeze IV pre-amp since it seemed to have everything I want (on-board, tuner and it accepts 2 sources). I'm currently looking for a good internal mic as a second source. Some mics have preamps. I heard that plugging a preamp into a preamp can cause preoblems. Anybody have experience with this and does anybody have a good recommendation for an internal mic?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 7 2017 8:37:01

AlVãl

RE: preamp into preamp (in reply to laughingstock

Hi
I figure ultimately once your pickup is going into an amp or mixer it's being feed via another preamp
I've been using a fishman presys system (onboard) on my classical guitar- blended into an irig stage - into a Boss AD-2 (preamp) - guess that's a chain of three preamps before hitting the mixer ( getting the gain structures to work together is key to getting it to work )
If anything I noticed the sound is more 'compressed' - nothing else of concern
Which seems to help in some ways
I actually kind of like it but very 'electric' or treated sound - good for the Latin/Samba/Tango groups I work in from time to time
Maybe someone here is more technically minded but sound wise, to my ear, no real problems just a more 'compressed' tone
Phasing options on your system can also help

Good internal mic systems I've used
1 mini flex dual mic ( top pick )
2 bartlett mic pro
3 if you can locate an early b band clamp mic ( think they superseded these with transducers )

The irig stage is also good but kind of cheaply made so not sure how long mine will last

Hope that helps
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 8 2017 0:16:14

laughingstock

Interesting. Thank you for your response. What do you mean by "getting the gain structures to work together is key to getting it to work"? Also if all three components (on-board preamp, USP and mic) use batteries, and different ones at that, does that mean I'll have to use 3 different batteries or can the other systems feed off the battery on the pre-amp?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 8 2017 3:05:26

Blondie#2

quote:

I'm currently looking for a good internal mic as a second source. Some mics have preamps. I heard that plugging a preamp into a preamp can cause preoblems.

Yes you can plug a guitar with an onboard preamp/pickup into another preamp, and indeed as many as you like before you plug into your PA/amp (what Alval describes).

But if you want to fit an internal mic wired directly into your Barcus Breeze dual source onboard preamp (which is what I think you mean) then you will have to consult your manual to see what is compatible in terms of things like impedance and whether the mic you want to fit requires phantom power, whether your preamp supplies this. ... and yes I suspect you would hit problems if the mic itself has some kind of preamp built in.

Good miniature internal condenser mics for guitar: Baggs, K&K, Barlett.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 8 2017 11:24:14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post