Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Specs in a guitar plan   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 2 [3] 4 5    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Echi

RE: Specs in a guitar plan (in reply to Ricardo

The thing is that some builders make the box first and after they join it to the neck, as common in the bows family.
Ruck and Brune are a good instance. This method presents many advantages, even though it’s not the traditional Spanish way and I’m not familiar with it.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 10 2018 13:45:03

JasonM

RE: Specs in a guitar plan (in reply to Echi

Richard J,

What Anders said mainly applies to the Spanish heel method. If you use a bolt on neck like Echi states, you don't have to worry about the assembly shifting things around. I would assume this is what Collings uses with their steel strings. Do they make classicals as well? I looked at their guitars once and had a sticker shock on the price.

Echi, your English is pretty good Amigo! Are you sure about that Solera being the same as what bagdonovich uses? Because this Solera is only dished behind the bridge, not centered on the bridge. What did you do when you built your guitar from the Reyes pattern? How did it turn out?

I'm wondering if I can just build the bottom block up/shim instead like Tom does but build face down instead. Flat Solera. Maybe there's no point in building face down then.

Tom, I found your other YouTube channel. I didn't know you had two after all this time! I can see your method a lot more clearly. Yes, I've seen some other videos of guys assembling top up too. Using mattress springs as clamps with a caul.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 10 2018 15:21:56

Richard Jernigan

RE: Specs in a guitar plan (in reply to JasonM

quote:

ORIGINAL: JasonM

What Anders said mainly applies to the Spanish heel method. If you use a bolt on neck like Echi states, you don't have to worry about the assembly shifting things around. I would assume this is what Collings uses with their steel strings. Do they make classicals as well? I looked at their guitars once and had a sticker shock on the price.

I'm not aware of Collings making classicals. I speculate that the tolerances on the dovetail neck to body joint may be such that a little hand fitting or shimming might be required to get the neck angle just right, but I really don't know whether this is the case.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 10 2018 16:37:18

Echi

The picture is not very clear. Usually these soleras are made with plywood, so that you may at a glance understand the geometry and how deep you go, as the layers are of different colours.
Bogdanovich adds a shim on top of the flat solera and then scoops it down towards the center of the lower bout.
I’m not sure what kind of solera is the one of the picture but the concept is that in the guitars of Reyes there is not a doming behind the bridge and therefore the solera cannot be just scooped in the centre.
In truth, in my opinion Reyes uses a flattish solera and gets a lateral coming in a different way, but this is just my opinion.
I have a couple of png pictures of Reyes’ solera I found in internet and will try to post them here later.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 10 2018 17:36:28

Echi

Here we are

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (2)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 10 2018 17:49:43

Echi

Interestingly in those years Reyes used the Santos bracing

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 10 2018 17:52:58

constructordeguitarras

Interesting photos. Thanks for posting.

Ethan Deutsch
www.edluthier.com
www.facebook.com/ethandeutschguitars
www.youtube.com/marioamayaflamenco
I always have flamenco guitars available for sale.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 10 2018 17:58:25

estebanana

In the book 'The Flamenco Guitar' by David George there is an interview with Herr Reyes. He, Don Reyes, extolled the virtues of Santos as the master of the form and says he modeled his instrument on Santos. Then he tells him he as a beginning maker sent a guitar to Madrid as part of a correspondence with Barbero for Marcello's opinion on his work and to evaluate how faithful his work was to the spirit of Hernandez's work.

Unfortunately Barbero died before the correspondence could advance to the point of Reyes getting Barbero's feedback.

It's pretty safe to say that anyone who's anyone in Spain who made flamenco guitars had to deal with Santos one way or another. Which us why his work is such a brilliant place to begin. Almost all the lessons are in Santos, instilled in his work by 1925.

Bypassing Santos early work is like trying to play chess without learning the Ruy Lopez opening.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 11 2018 4:48:28

Ricardo

RE: Specs in a guitar plan (in reply to estebanana

quote:

ORIGINAL: estebanana

In the book 'The Flamenco Guitar' by David George there is an interview with Herr Reyes. He, Don Reyes, extolled the virtues of Santos as the master of the form and says he modeled his instrument on Santos. Then he tells him he as a beginning maker sent a guitar to Madrid as part of a correspondence with Barbero for Marcello's opinion on his work and to evaluate how faithful his work was to the spirit of Hernandez's work.

Unfortunately Barbero died before the correspondence could advance to the point of Reyes getting Barbero's feedback.

It's pretty safe to say that anyone who's anyone in Spain who made flamenco guitars had to deal with Santos one way or another. Which us why his work is such a brilliant place to begin. Almost all the lessons are in Santos, instilled in his work by 1925.

Bypassing Santos early work is like trying to play chess without learning the Ruy Lopez opening.

I compared Santos to esteso from the same period.....Santos felt a little better, especially that particular neck/bridge set up...soundwise I prefered esteso however. Clearly they were both on to something they learned from Manuel Ramirez...who for me was the true innovator for flamenco guitars IMO.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 11 2018 15:50:29

Ricardo

RE: Specs in a guitar plan (in reply to constructordeguitarras

quote:

It seems to me that bending the note this way can only raise the pitch relative to the non-bent not

Absolutely correct...my father pointed this out to me as a teen as to why he coudn’t tolerate my favorite Rock players at the time! Although you can cheat this issue by fretting a note a half step below your target note (or more if you are really a rocker) and bend it up then exaggerate your vibrato...your release will therefore go below target pitch, emulating side to side vibrato. A Couple of electric players were on to the side to side thing however, it’s interesting to notice...

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 11 2018 15:55:48

JasonM

Echi,

From the picture of Reyes Solera, it looks to me like the workboard slopes down at the tail block. Of those two Soleras sitting on the shelf, you can see the side profile (the one on the left) sloping down.

You are right about the Bogdanovich Solera, but correct me if I'm wrong, the taper is the inverse of Reyes. He tapers above the horizontal plane. The back of the guitar is shorter than the mid section. See the picture below of Bogdanovich

I'm trying to calculate the geometry for neck angle, dome, and fretboard taper myself so I can really understand what's going on for myself. I may then make some modifications.

I considered switching to the santos plan. Got to learn Newton before Herr Einstein

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 11 2018 16:01:43

Ricardo

RE: Specs in a guitar plan (in reply to jshelton5040

quote:

ORIGINAL: jshelton5040

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricardo

I had been aware since a teen how “sweet” or “Flat” the high position notes on my dad’s Hauser were compared to all my other guitars, so much that I tend to pull back on notes in upper position....and when Brune told me how far back Hauser liked to position his bridge relative to other builders, it all made sense.

So you prefer that a guitar play slightly flat in the upper positions? That's what happens when you reduce compensation. You can stretch the string or pull it on a single note but it gets much more complicated if you're playing chords with open strings next to fretted ones. No criticism implied or intended, we all know that there is no guitar that plays perfectly in tune hence all the various compromises to try to get it at least close by spreading the "out-of-tuneness" across the entire fingerboard.

No, I think you have it exactly backwards...increasing the string length (placing bridge a hair farther back than exact double of 12 fret distance) is what I understand is compensation, to make strings play flat as you go up the string to higher positions. Zero compensation results in notes sounding sharp as the string is depressed, shortening the intended distance, especially as action height is relatively increased (hence the zero compensation used on old low action flamenco guitars as it was deemed unnecessary)....not to meantion the bend of the string over the fret wire that shortens the string even more.... so to answer “I prefer to play guitar flat in upper position”...the answer is “no” although my point is that I will have to play in tune REGARDLESS of the amount of compensation the builder puts in, and I have come to NOTICE this compensation depending on how I intonate when playing by either pushing or pulling to harmonize better. About chords, especially upper position chords...unfortunately my pet peeve about those clumsy finger players reveal themselves most obviously when doing exactly that. So yes I am attempting to also intonate when playing chords....easier to do in high positions than down low.

Finally I want to point out that strings are not ever 100% perfectly built and as I said trebs go sharp as they wear, so my first suspicion when noticing a guitar that is taking effort to intonate is the STRINGS, not the builder.

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 11 2018 16:06:26

Richard Jernigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: JasonM
What Anders said mainly applies to the Spanish heel method. If you use a bolt on neck like Echi states, you don't have to worry about the assembly shifting things around.

Brune tells me he does not use a bolt on neck. His building method is described in the American Lutherie journal, volume 52. He also builds using the Spanish foot.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 11 2018 19:42:08

jshelton5040

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricardo

No, I think you have it exactly backwards...increasing the string length (placing bridge a hair farther back than exact double of 12 fret distance) is what I understand is compensation, to make strings play flat as you go up the string to higher positions.

You're right Ricardo, I had it backwards. We use a compensated fingerboard so our compensation at the bridge is done by shortening the string rather than lengthening it. Sometimes I forget that other builders do it differently from us. Our 660mm scale guitar is actually 657.5mm rather than 661 or so others use.

John Shelton - www.sheltonfarrettaguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 11 2018 20:11:53

Echi

@ Jason
Yes it’s correct.
@Richard
It doesn’t have to be fixed with bolts.
Bruné builds first the box (with the inner foot) and then glues the neck to it with a tenon joint (or at least I think this is the name in English). I saw it done by Ruck and Oberg as well: simple and effective.
Same principle used by many acoustic guitar makers, who usually make use of a dovetail joint.
In Spain the traditional method is to glue first the top to the neck and then the sides and back.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 11 2018 22:03:56

constructordeguitarras

Echi, your English is fine.

Richard Brune gave me a tour of his shop in Evanston, IL, USA, around 1987. He used a stroke sander--a machine that is around ten feet long--to sand the part of the neck that would join to the box so that it would be the correct complementary shape. So I think it may not be so simple to attach the neck this way.

Ethan Deutsch
www.edluthier.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 11 2018 22:46:06

estebanana

quote:

quote:

I compared Santos to esteso from the same period.....Santos felt a little better, especially that particular neck/bridge set up...soundwise I prefered esteso however. Clearly they were both on to something they learned from Manuel Ramirez...who for me was the true innovator for flamenco guitars IMO.

You get my point, partly. Yes, Manuel was important too. However, Santos became the gold standard and Esteso also important. The point is NOTHING CHANGED after them, but people today act like it did. The flamenco guitar was fully developed in 1925, everything else is an esoteric personal stamp.

So my point is why begin the discussion with a far reaching esoteric version when it's more solid to begin with the UR version and teach/learn the fundamental structure and let everyone go off and figure the rest out?

Esteso and Santos built essentially the same guitar, the reason they are different is because they are TWO different people. If you teach or learn the basic design principles you'll make a guitar that reflects you because you will make choices that only you will make. Pushing this or that sound based on later iterations of design is ok, but why? WHY? It just creates problems. I'm against plans for beginners because beginners should learn to DRAFT their own plans based on the fundamentals, not have some shiitty pre-drawn concept marketed to them. Plans are useful AFTER you can draft your own plan because it tells you dimensions of someone else's design, it does NOT tell you the information you learn by Drafting your own plan first.

Ranty part*

So now we have guys that drop plans of this or that guitar and then run away from explaining how it goes together, when if they would just teach how to draw the basics with a compass, a triangle, and a yard stick on fuuuucking paper, but NOOOOOOOOOOOO, we live in a culture of lazy mother Fuuuuckers who want everything handed to them, because GOD FORBID anyone ever pick of a GOD DAMMED pencil.

I still own the drafting set my Grandfather gave my step father, who in turn gave it to me, and I'm apparently the only fuccker who remembers what a mother fucckkiiiiig pencil is.

TEACH PEOPLE TO F-ING DRAW!!!!!!! ..........................Not ram plans at them.

Ranty part over*

Would you like me to clarify? LOL The truth is we've lost any sense how to design these things because today it's all spoon feeding and missing the answers that are visible by drawing it yourself. If I were to write a book about guitar making it would be an anthology of makers essays, not one point of view, but the opening would be learning to draw the plan yourself, not copy a guitar 70 years removed from the primary source.

Get it now?

You understand the design of the guitar by drawing a line three feet long. That is the string. Under that you draw the bridge. Follow the string to the nut, it stops at a certain scale length....How high off the top do you want the saddle? Now draw in the rest of the guitar. The problem solves itself once you draw the guitar beginning with the bridge.

And by an extension of the act of buying plans we're also losing a fundamental idea in creativity, it's become focused or fixated on someone else's sound, not exploration and discovery of your own natural sound. Everyone has an individual sound, and chasing other sounds is only part of learning. We're bordering on a decadent kind of aesthetic that requires only Official sounds or Historically correct sound, because makers are encouraged to work by jumping in mid stream, and that can be very beneficial, but it's bypassing the concept of basic design. Basic design teaches the better questions to ask and also sets up the idea that there is a natural sound that everyone has, not a forced manufactured sound. Guitar making will get like violin making soon enough, it will reach the point where there are only a couple sounds permissible because the market fixates on signature sounds of past makers. The market signifies off of big names, and all these guys began with a simple basic concept, then the individual sounds grew out of their exploration; now you can buy a pre-packaged 'set' of ideas, but it misses the place they started and does not chart the moves they made to arrive at that iteration of the basics.

Jumping in midstream might put you on some great makers shoulders, but it's also a long way up off the floor where the essential lines are drawn in the dirt. Of course my view point is totally ignored, and thats ok. I have all the sashimi.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 12 2018 0:23:37

JasonM

quote:

You understand the design of the guitar by drawing a line three feet long. That is the string. Under that you draw the bridge. Follow the string to the nut, it stops at a certain scale length....How high off the top do you want the saddle? Now draw in the rest of the guitar. The problem solves itself once you draw the guitar beginning with the bridge.

This is exactly what I've been doing today, drawing it to scale on a piece of mdf to see for myself. I'm glad my master is making me do this rather than just follow a recipe. But, as a total noob I think some directions are needed. Its pointless to reinvent the entire wheel. For example, I don't know whether this dome is important for sound or something else - I don't know what I don't know. And the biggest problem is lack of learning resources.

I admit I was chasing the after the Reyes sound at first (not a bad thing). Now I don't care about it really. I realize i have my own personal preferences with sound, and aesthetics.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 12 2018 2:07:02

constructordeguitarras

At this point I want to caution you about aiming for really low action at the bridge. It's not fun when the string height at the bridge is really really low and it turns out you need to lower it more to get the strings closer to the fingerboard, only you can't without shaving down the wood of the bridge....

And I don't know whether people who put the top on right side up put the back on first, before the top. But if the back goes on last, that's what controls the neck angle. That's why I use a very straight and very stout piece of wood clamped under my solera when I glue on the back. It's an oak board two inches thick and about six inches wide and forty inches long, standing on edge. I check it's straightness every time and run it over the jointer as needed.

Ethan Deutsch
www.edluthier.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 12 2018 2:15:31

Ricardo

quote:

The flamenco guitar was fully developed in 1925, everything else is an esoteric personal stamp.

Oh come on....they weren’t even orange!!

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 12 2018 2:44:56

estebanana

If you don't mind me kibitizting about drawing materials- mdf is lousy at holding a sharp line, it has binders and crap that allows graphite to smear around.

Go get some paper. Art stores and some drug stores have rolls if cheap drawing paper for 5 bucks. About a foot wide or wider. Get a roll. Get an HB pencil too, it's a harder drafting pencil that will mark a better line. Some white erasers and a fine piece of sand paper for putting a razor sharp point on the pencil after you sharpen.

The mm differences you will draw to understand the details will be more accurate with these tools. Take the drawing seriously and learn to be a careful craftsman at the drafting. When a good guitar comes to you, you'll have the skills in place and the material to make your own drawings of the instrument. You'll go farther faster by drawing guitars you like, rather than buying plans. I ****t you not.

BTW, that solera up page with the ramp at the tail is a Romanillos thing. For a basic Santos- Domingo-Manuel R. Solera, don't do that. See the Courtnall book for a basic solera idea. The top is all in plane, then the neck moves forward a tiny bit. The other variations are good, but maybe not the most solid starting point because they complicate the geometry a bit, and might have intentions that are at cross purpose to the Santos-Manuel concept.

Just keep in mind when looking at old guitars that the bridge and string is where the design begins. The fixtures, solera, are made to reflect that logic. Romanillos developed a way of dropping the tail by jacking up that part if the solera, but he had a certain action in mind that's not really flamenco ideal geometry. That's why it's pretty important to stay with the primary source of the Manuel -Santos- Uncle Domi era. That said, Torres himself used wacky techniques, but we have a more clear picture of how to reconstruct the Ramirez shop methods. Courtnall text seems to hold closest to that path.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 12 2018 3:08:46

estebanana

Ricardo, you really deserve a round of Yo Mama jokes, but I respect your mother too much.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 12 2018 3:11:44

Echi

I bought the plan of Santos drawn by David Merrin and noticed a couple of important things.
The first one is that the doming is radically different from the plan of Esteso. Santos has practically no doming behind the bridge while Esteso quite a lot. The sound of the guitars of Esteso I tried is is also softer than Santos.
Second aspect is that the plantilla is the same of a guitar of Arcangel I examined: when I put the plan of Arcangel on top of the plan of Santos, many things of the Design turned clear. Arcangel is just brilliant, even though I find his guitars a little bassy and a little too soft form me ( at least until you dig).
In my opinion Manuel Ramirez offered a kind of guitar conceptually close to Torres.

Then, my 2 cents as aficionado: I noticed that the design of flamenco guitars, since the late seventies has been turning towards a more ibridized flamenco guitar.
I had for many years a nice Gerundino and it was a great guitar. It had a robust tone and great volume which at the end of the day was more satisfying for me than many snappier old design guitars.
Unfortunately for me I sold it and I bough a (nice) guitar made in Granada which eventually made me start a never ending trip looking for the right guitar for me.
Anyway, tastes are tastes, but I for one am looking for a kind of Gerundino sound but with a little more presence in the middle freqs. any suggestion?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 12 2018 8:39:39

estebanana

quote:

I bought the plan of Santos drawn by David Merrin and noticed a couple of important things.
The first one is that the doming is radically different from the plan of Esteso. Santos has practically no doming behind the bridge while Esteso quite a lot.

You have to be careful making conclusions from small sample groups. I used to think, in te beginning of my building, all flamenco guitars that sound good only have five fans, then I ran into a spectacular guitar with nine. I used to think there were "old style" and "new style" guitars, but as ran into more guitars I changed my mind.

The condition of the arch on a guitar can vary through the life of the guitar; what the maker intended could mean different things. They may have meant for the arch to stay put behind the bridge and it goes against their will a pooches up. It may even, despite being heavily braced, deform in front of the bridge. The maker may have planned or anticipated some humping up behind the bridge, but it stays more flat then they wanted. Wood has a mind of it's own and you can find guitars by different makers with different arch conditions as well as find different arch conditions in the same maker.

I think it's very difficult to make observations based on small sample groups. I myself have not seen enough Santos guitars in person, but I have seen many Gerundino's, de la Chica's and Barba's, and tons of good Conde's but I still hesitate to make rules about how each maker did it. Conde's are a weird world in themselves. They can often sound similar and have a familiar sound envelope, and be made 30 years apart by different hands, but not be braced or arched the same way. There are other things in balance....

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 12 2018 10:27:24

Echi

I agree on this.
I didn’t mean to make a general rule on Santos and I myself would consider not appropriate to express a definitive judgement on Santos. Just respect for him. .
I tried a Santos though and quite a lot of guitars and inevitably build up some opinions.

I understand your point when you say that Santos put the foundations of the flamenco guitar. This is very clear looking at Reyes.
Nonetheless it’s undeniable that Reyes (from the late seventies) made a different flamenco guitar than Santos.
I’m not sure Vicente would find comfortable to play a Santos....and the reasons why he probably wouldn’t explain why Reyes is a more modern guitar than a Santos. Santos put the foundations but then flamenco today is not anymore that played by Ramon Montoya. Always Imho.
Btw my 81 Conde has the same plantilla of Reyes. Who copied whom?

Same concept for Paco: there’s a nice YouTube video of Paco playing a piece from Cositas buenas on an old Esteso. Lovely but it makes clear why Paco in concert plays a different kind of guitar.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 12 2018 11:06:58

RobF

Echi, thanks for posting the pictures of Reyes. I appreciate the perspective you bring to your posts.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 12 2018 12:56:45

RobF

Jason, I think you have already passed one of the first hurdles in the path to becoming a guitar maker, in that you have shown a willingness to do over a component when you realized your first attempt did not meet your standards.

You’ve been getting a lot of great advice in these threads but I suspect it could become a little overwhelming. It might be time to step back and return to the base premise, which simply is that you want to build a guitar. To that end, you have already selected a plan, bought wood and started to build.

There are many valid ways to assemble a guitar, all that can result in a good instrument. You’re getting a little stuck at this phase, so perhaps keep it simple and follow the traditional Solera method, as Stephen is suggesting. To that end, picking up a copy of Roy Courtnall’s book and looking over the back sections can help give you ideas on how to build one. It’s a nice book to have around anyways, regardless of whether you use his methods or not.

Drawing out the side elevations of the guitar to get the angles right is a good idea, I would go so far as to say it’s a requisite step. It doesn’t have to be full scale and the x and y axis can even be to different scales, as long as you can extract the geometries. I’ll often expand the y axis just to make things more obvious to me.

To my mind, with the original game plan you already have a nice plantilla to work with and a fan bracing layout scaled to that plantilla. Echi made a good point a while ago about adjusting the cross length of the plan’s bridge patch depending on the stiffness of the top. But, for your first build, maybe don’t worry about all that stuff, just stick with your original strategy, follow the plan you selected, make a simple solera and full steam ahead.

It’s all fun.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 12 2018 13:03:26

RobF

Jason, I thought I better clarify that the side elevation drawing is done to extract the offsets, not the actual angles. That's what allows the use of different vertical and horizontal scales.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 12 2018 16:04:05

Ricardo

quote:

Ricardo, you really deserve a round of Yo Mama jokes, but I respect your mother too much.

That’s not what SHE said....oh!!!!!

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 12 2018 17:21:15

Ricardo

quote:

Same concept for Paco: there’s a nice YouTube video of Paco playing a piece from Cositas buenas on an old Esteso. Lovely but it makes clear why Paco in concert plays a different kind of guitar.

Probably you mean “Antonia” from flamenco flamenco movie? If so...I am pretty sure that is Sobrinos de esteso with a 50’s era Rosette and tie block. Nice looking guitar with HD close up camera shots....however that sound I found surprising as it sounds EXACTLY as his live big fat/bright negra....I am sure it is (like the the rest of Saura’s movies) “playback” to a pre recorded track with his regular guitar...IMO.

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 12 2018 17:25:36
Page:   <<   <   1 2 [3] 4 5    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 2 [3] 4 5    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll