Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Harmonic questions?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Schieper

Harmonic questions? 

I have 2 "technical" questions.

- If I play my guitar on the 12th fret. I recognized that the A string, drops suddenly down in volume very steep and completely dies out in 2 seconds. The other strings gradually decrease in 5/6 seconds. Why?

- I tried in a store a blanca (great service in the shop/great guitar). However, playing the D string, 2nd fret (a minor chord) I believed that every time there was some dis-harmonic in the background which annoyed me tremendously. Obviously it was no normal string buzz nor where it the string ends rattling on the front. But like there was a small ringing in the background. When the sales guy played, it was gone. But he had a more gentle classical guitar playing style. Any thoughts what this is?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 28 2017 10:46:37

Ricardo

RE: Harmonic questions? (in reply to Schieper

As a player, not builder, I would have to have it my hands or see you play to be sure. Could be the issue of overtones, the mathematical ones that clash with the equal tempered scale. For example playing an E note gives you overtones of B natural and higher up a flat G#....this clashes more harshly with a regular old E major chord than with an A minor chord, but still, that is probably the issue. When playing with loud amplification these problems grow exponentially, and I guess players deal with it technique wise somehow.

As for the open A harmonic at 12th fret....could be the top tuning? Sounds odd, but the other strings could be getting reinforced by the others (for example E and B strings are three that reinforce each other), so you need to mute all the other strings when playing one alone, for a fair comparison.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 28 2017 13:24:24

Schieper

Thanks Ricardo.

Overtone, sounds feasible. It became apparent when I played strong thumb apoyando. I will re-check with my own guitar as I never noticed it there. Also only on the G note (3rd string 2nd fret) which made me wonder. It is to do with settings/string or has it to do something in which the guitar is constructed?

I will check with muting. What is top tuning?

Thanks again
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 29 2017 9:20:25

Tom Blackshear

quote:

What is top tuning?

It's basically regulating the top to comply with an even and synergistic allowance between the top and strut balance. This is done in different ways, so there is no one way to accomplish it.

My techniques are taught in my shop for anyone who cares to spend a lot of money to learn the process; otherwise you can visit most of my threads on this list to glean certain information about it.

Tom Blackshear Guitar maker
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 29 2017 14:11:24

jalalkun

RE: Harmonic questions? (in reply to Tom Blackshear

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Blackshear

My techniques are taught in my shop for anyone who cares to spend a lot of money to learn the process

knowledge/learning something should never be something to spend "a lot of money" on...knowledge is a treasure that belongs to everybody. education isn't reserved for the elite only that have too much money at hand. but unfortunately it has always been like that in the music business. v_v

My name is Jalal.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 29 2017 16:36:16

Tom Blackshear

RE: Harmonic questions? (in reply to jalalkun

I was being facetious but then I had to be strong enough to travel and get information, then learn how to use it to the best of my abilities.

Nothing is free but God's love and support for us to learn, and this will cost us in this universal scheme of things.

So, when a student is ready, a teacher will appear, but be warned, the teacher has to earn a living.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 29 2017 17:45:18

jshelton5040

quote:

ORIGINAL: jalalkun

knowledge/learning something should never be something to spend "a lot of money" on...knowledge is a treasure that belongs to everybody. education isn't reserved for the elite only that have too much money at hand. but unfortunately it has always been like that in the music business. v_v

Have you checked the price of a college indoctrination (sorry education) lately?

John Shelton - www.sheltonfarrettaguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 29 2017 22:23:11

estebanana

RE: Harmonic questions? (in reply to jshelton5040

quote:

Have you checked the price of a college indoctrination (sorry education) lately?

Yeah Donald Trump's "college" was pretty expensive and in the end, even though there was a class action suit against him his lawyers settled and he still was able to rip off a good portion of the tuition of 6000 students who came to his school in good faith. His company walked away with a profit after a class action lawsuit. Three weeks later he was inaugurated. He sold meaningless paper, he's verifiable con artist.

But that was not enough, the old white males of the country had to elect the rip off artist as president instead of the woman who had a viable plan to lower the cost of education from accredited schools. When is comes to education there are various way to pay for it, but when it comes to guys who have some proprietary angle to sell, caveat emptor. Then they complain about the "cost of education". I guess, and I'm being facetious here so I get a pass, when we go to college we learn about sexism, I guess that's a bad thing cause it hurts old mens' feelings. Just being sarcastic here, and that's ok.

Let's have a conversation about education, honesty and cost, shall we? If that does not hurt anyone feelings...it's not like the people who bought an education at Trump University got hurt feelings were hurt or anything like that. Again just being facetious, 'cause that's fair, right?

Ricardo's answer was correct. But as he said you have to have the guitar to find out where the harmonic stresses are. All guitars have that to some extent, some are more strident than others. Sometimes different string sets can even calm certain overtone combination.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 30 2017 0:41:19

Piwin

RE: Harmonic questions? (in reply to jshelton5040

quote:

It's actually pretty cheap in jalalkun's and my own part of the world.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 30 2017 0:55:27

estebanana

Have you checked the price of ignorance?

I went to Jr. College for 15.00 dollars per unit, a class is 3 units, 3 or 4 classes per semester. Total needed for AA degree 35 units. Clinton plan was to make that possible again. 1980 s cost Jr. College. but the old white males said no.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 30 2017 2:51:50

jalalkun

RE: Harmonic questions? (in reply to Tom Blackshear

well, as with everybody learning stuff. everyone goes through the hardships of attaining information and internalizing it.
I taught myself to play guitar and I wouldn't take money from anybody because I don't need to earn a living from it. but I wouldn't take money for that especially because I believe that this is not my knowledge or anyone's knowledge. it's everyone's knowledge. Maybe I'm just really idealistic about this stuff.

John, college tuitions in the united states are ridiculously expensive and stupid. attending university in piwin's and my world doesn't make you go in debt for half of your life after graduating college.

My name is Jalal.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 30 2017 11:38:51

Fitz63

quote:

well, as with everybody learning stuff. everyone goes through the hardships of attaining information and internalizing it.
I taught myself to play guitar and I wouldn't take money from anybody because I don't need to earn a living from it. but I wouldn't take money for that especially because I believe that this is not my knowledge or anyone's knowledge. it's everyone's knowledge. Maybe I'm just really idealistic about this stuff.

John, college tuitions in the united states are ridiculously expensive and stupid. attending university in piwin's and my world doesn't make you go in debt for half of your life after graduating college.

I don’t know if it’s an idealistic view, but it seems an odd one for me. If you extend that to all subjects, then math, science etc teachers shouldn’t get paid, as it’s not their knowledge. And if you’re just meaning for Flamenco guitar, then why? I think if you get to a certain level at playing music, you should get paid, and I think teaching is the same. Some people are very good teachers, why shouldn’t they base a living around it?

https://ontheshouldersofgiants2017.wordpress.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 30 2017 12:01:42

Schieper

So me getting all exited on having 11 replays to my post to enlighten me; is is a rant about US tuition fees and Donald Thrump.

A smarter person than me told me once that you do not need an institution to learn something. All is out there in books and on the webs... I actually followed quite some free online courses on mathematics, statistic software, image processing software etc. You can even get a degree... So do not limit your own potential by whining about price of schools... :-). Luckily in my country education is relatively cheep. But we pay a **** load of taxes. IN total about 50-60% of our income.

And on Thrump: I love the man! hell of a lot more entertaining television than any other world leader. "and guess what; the wall just got 1 feet higher"; it just cracked me up. Is he good for the states or the world? We will only be able to tell in time and even then will not know for sure. So in the mean time my real world problem is that I still have not the slightest idea what top tuning is so guess I have to google :-)

I send you all, all the love and health you need!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 30 2017 12:54:47

Tom Blackshear

quote:

I can't speak for other cities but in San Antonio, my wife searched the Internet and found scholarship money for my son and he received his 2 year Jr. College studies for free. Later, He went on to use his military money for graduate degree in business at a 4 year college, with a masters in business while working part time to supplement his college costs.

Where there is a will, there is a way.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 30 2017 13:15:26

Tom Blackshear

quote:

We will only be able to tell in time and even then will not know for sure. So in the mean time my real world problem is that I still have not the slightest idea what top tuning is so guess I have to google :-)

The last time I looked there was little to no information on top tuning that an average layman could follow with any understanding, without a degree in science. And then it hardly explained how to tweak sound in a synergistic fashion to achieve total harmony.

But then you have to take into consideration that there are many ways to tune tops, and then adjust your search for the easiest way to accomplish it, that is if you can actually find enough info to support your search.

So the bottom line is that we all have to pay our dues to learn this craft that took me over 30 years to accomplish, and it is certainly acceptable for you to ask for information if you are not just having a passing fantasy to cost builders time; and this is judged by each builder here who has the time to help.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 30 2017 13:27:10

jshelton5040

quote:

I'm not interested in getting into a political discussion.

I put myself through college by working just short of full time during three terms and then working in construction all summer for several years. College is (or should be) an introduction to ideas, concepts and knowledge that improves a person but you have to educate yourself. It's never free...someone is paying for it even if it's not you.

John Shelton - www.sheltonfarrettaguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 30 2017 14:31:41

jalalkun

i see that this escalated into a big debate which is not part of this thread, and I apologize for that. I'd love to discuss such a topic though, but I wouldn't want to bash in and drown the actual topic I was about to write a reply to everyone but I stopped midway.

Back to the topic: regarding the 12th fret, this might just be how the top of your guitar resonates. some guitars have certain strings that are weaker than the other.
regarding that harmonics thing: when tuning I often find that plucking two tuned strings gently won't let the strings' frequencies interfere as much, when I hit them a little harder it does make that wavy noise in the harmonics. maybe the strings were old/out of tune? Maybe the string just swings very intensely when you hit it a little harder and then it cools down. I know that happens when tuning electric guitar strings, when you hit a string too hard the gauge would go crazy low the first 2 seconds but then it'll go back to its normal pitch. that'd be an exaggerated example but this might be what's happening.

My name is Jalal.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 30 2017 14:55:55

Mark2

RE: Harmonic questions? (in reply to estebanana

When? It's still the same price. I put two kids through college and JC is almost free. In SF, it is free I believe. University-different story.

quote:

ORIGINAL: estebanana

Have you checked the price of ignorance?

I went to Jr. College for 15.00 dollars per unit, a class is 3 units, 3 or 4 classes per semester. Total needed for AA degree 35 units. Clinton plan was to make that possible again. 1980 s cost Jr. College. but the old white males said no.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 30 2017 15:13:23

estebanana

quote:

I have 2 "technical" questions.

- If I play my guitar on the 12th fret. I recognized that the A string, drops suddenly down in volume very steep and completely dies out in 2 seconds. The other strings gradually decrease in 5/6 seconds. Why?

- I tried in a store a blanca (great service in the shop/great guitar). However, playing the D string, 2nd fret (a minor chord) I believed that every time there was some dis-harmonic in the background which annoyed me tremendously. Obviously it was no normal string buzz nor where it the string ends rattling on the front. But like there was a small ringing in the background. When the sales guy played, it was gone. But he had a more gentle classical guitar playing style. Any thoughts what this is?

The question is why are you playing the A string on the 12th fret? The answer is really, who cares? Is there a solea accompaniment falseta you need that must have that particular note? Probably not. So no one really owes you a free answer, basically, because if the guitar otherwise plays well, who cares?

The answer is complicated, but it boils down to this, the high partials are built ona platform of intonation that is made of compounded errors. The guitar intonation system is not perfect, so in conjunction with a myriad body modes and resonances, an imperfect system of compounded intonation error creates odd harmonic phenomena. The only way to understand why your particular guitar does that particular kind of harmonic stuff on the high frets is to have it in person and look at the intonation carefully. Usually the the basic reason a string dies out at the 12th fret is because the saddle is not in the right place and this sets up some other overtone phase cancellation that is hard to pinpoint, unless you actually have the guitar and can unravel it with the right sound analysis program.

So the answer is take it to a guitar maker who is deep into computer analysis of high partial effects and pay them to spend 90 minutes with the guitar. If the guitar does not burp and fart, or otherwise have cross phase overtone or distracting overtone activity in the root positions then you're good to go.

If you can play the open A string and it does not fart, or barf, then why are you fussing with the 12th fret?

Asking people to sort out an upper partial phenomena without the guitar and being able to check saddle intonation first is not really fair. It's a hands on business, guitar making, and solving problems in the abstract is not practical or maybe even possible without collecting data on the instrument in person. I doubt very seriously you'll get an answer off the internet.

I speculate that it is possible on guitars that have main top resonance that is on the note A, that the A can cause in concert with intonation cumulative error, havoc on the guitar in several places. That is why we as makers back away from making guitars with main top rez up near A. It's death for flamenco guitars in general so we stay in the vetted zone of F through almost G and maybe hazard G#, but square on A is generally not helpful. Of course without having the guitar it's near impossible to tell, unless you know how to evaluate and understand the difference between main air resonance and various modes of top and back. To get even more esoteric, the back resonance could also be a culprit and causing weird cancellation, but again an analysis of where the main back mode is in relation to the top is important to establish and that means having the guitar in person. If the main back mode is too close to the main top mode, trouble.

So really asking why your A string is taking a dive at the 12th fret is not a practical matter unless you need that note. And establishing a firm notion as to why it happens would take a mode saavy maker several minutes if not a half hour to parse out, with the guitar in person.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 31 2017 2:15:18

Schieper

Thanks for the time to write your answers Estebanana.

A remarkable art, guitar making is. My crafting skills are limited to "waking stuff with hammer, gluing it with duc-tape" I tried broadening my skill set but by doing so realized that some things are just not meant to be.

As to why on the 12th, I just noticed it while I was horsing around and found it remarkable and so it puzzled me.

As on the overtone on D, 2nd fret, we will try and re-string guitar. The rest is far to high level :-)

\thanks all for broadening my horizon.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 31 2017 9:29:20

Schieper

Just for fun:

- I measured the top frequency and between 103,9 and 104,5 hz, neatly above the G#
- 12th fret A drops of in less than 0,1 sec. What remains after that is mumble jumble frequencies. It does not bother me. Just funny.
- Open E and open A string have nice frequency spices at 162 and 326 resp 218 and 328 Hz. Never realized that open E is actually a harmonic of 3th and 4th octave. The high pitches (12th fret) have just a single octave dominating.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 31 2017 11:59:31

estebanana

quote:

I measured the top frequency and between 103,9 and 104,5 hz, neatly above the G#

This in itself is difficult to interpret. There are two things happening which often get confused. Main air resonance and main top note. The main top mode and the main back mode are the key. You have to separate them all out. For building flamenco guitars you don't really need a lot of theory if you have a feel for it, but checking the main top and main back modes to make sure they don't couple is not a bad idea.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 2 2017 2:19:48
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote