Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Hello from London   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Intros >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Inglés

Hello from London 

Hi everyone

I'm from the UK, live in London - actually born and brought up in Salisbury but reckon I've been here long enough to call myself a Londoner by now. I've been listening to flamenco for a few years, technically speaking, but only in the sense that I had one Paco Peña CD that I listened to repeatedly. Loved all the pieces, loved the Flamenco style but never really got round to listening to other performers until recently.

I'm now listening to flamenco more seriously, including trying to learn and distinguish different palos/hear the compas, and am taking my first steps to try to learn flamenco guitar. I've played the guitar to a decent standard for 20 years now (although that's probably better described as 10 years playing obsessively then 10 years playing occasionally to be fair) - so I have decent hand-eye / hand-hand coordination and reasonable generic guitar technique etc.

Flamenco's another world though, Jesus Christ. I'm sure I'll need help, advice and encouragement. I'd love to get lessons with a proper teacher, there's no substitute for a good teacher but unfortunately it isn't feasible right now, so youtube tutorials, a bit of googling and hopefully some help from more experienced flamenco lovers on here.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 27 2017 12:57:46

Escribano

RE: Hello from London (in reply to Inglés

quote:

I'd love to get lessons with a proper teacher, there's no substitute for a good teacher but unfortunately it isn't feasible right now

Welcome. When you're ready there are a few good ones in London and some gigs to go to. Just give us a shout here.

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 27 2017 19:31:21

Piwin

Welcome to the foro!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 27 2017 20:24:01

Inglés

RE: Hello from London (in reply to Escribano

quote:

ORIGINAL: Escribano

quote:

I'd love to get lessons with a proper teacher, there's no substitute for a good teacher but unfortunately it isn't feasible right now

Welcome. When you're ready there are a few good ones in London and some gigs to go to. Just give us a shout here.

Thanks. I actually went to a gig last night, after joining here I did a quick google to get an idea for what the London scene is like and turned out there was a show half an hour from my house, so I rocked up - a guitarist called Ramon Ruiz in Quecumbar in Battersea, he seemed really good to my uninitiated ear. I enjoyed it anyway.

Do you know what the main flamenco venues or regular nights are in London? I'm really keen to go to more live shows
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 28 2017 8:27:48

Escribano

quote:

a guitarist called Ramon Ruiz in Quecumbar in Battersea, he seemed really good to my uninitiated ear

He was my first teacher and is very good. You should keep in touch as he will know of the best gigs and classes.

http://www.flamenco-london.com

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 28 2017 9:01:08

Flamingrae

Hey Inglés,
Ramon is good - there are a few on the scene here.
Tony Clinton is great to get into the compass and vibe. (Francisco Antonio)
When you get better, Tito Heredia is just awesome - he takes no prisoners, but is such a nice guy. Catch most Sundays up at Bar Gansa, Inverness St. in Camden.
The Pena has a meeting once a month, second Sunday usually. Sign up and get their magazine. It has all the teachers for guitar, dance and singing. It will also list events.
Chris Clavo who plays with Flamenco Express here is another and they are worth seeing as La Joaquina and team are getting a good load of dancers and singers over from Spain. Catch them now before Brexit crashes it all.
A few web pages to keep you in the loop - Facebook :- Flamenco - London
www.flamencoinlondon.com
and then just get out there..........hope this helps.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 30 2017 0:07:06

Inglés

RE: Hello from London (in reply to Flamingrae

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flamingrae

Hey Inglés,
Ramon is good - there are a few on the scene here.
Tony Clinton is great to get into the compass and vibe. (Francisco Antonio)
When you get better, Tito Heredia is just awesome - he takes no prisoners, but is such a nice guy. Catch most Sundays up at Bar Gansa, Inverness St. in Camden.
The Pena has a meeting once a month, second Sunday usually. Sign up and get their magazine. It has all the teachers for guitar, dance and singing. It will also list events.
Chris Clavo who plays with Flamenco Express here is another and they are worth seeing as La Joaquina and team are getting a good load of dancers and singers over from Spain. Catch them now before Brexit crashes it all.
A few web pages to keep you in the loop - Facebook :- Flamenco - London
www.flamencoinlondon.com
and then just get out there..........hope this helps.

Thanks flamingrae, very useful. I'll try some of those out
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 31 2017 21:21:34
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Intros >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote