Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

[Deleted]   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

[Deleted] 

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 1 2006 3:29:10

sorin popovici

RE: Do you take care of your hands? (in reply to Guest

hmm ,not really .I dont take care of my hands ,I really hate them....everybody says like
i have long fingers,but I think they are too short and not that flexible.I dont like them

I use also computer ,in fact i think my right hand suffered some modifications from playing
computer games...but nothing that serious ,I didnt observe any modifications in my playing.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 1 2006 3:42:38

c

when I drive, my right hand is constantly keeping time to what ever flamenco is on the stereo
rasqiatos on the gearshift arpagios on the seat golpe on the hand rest..what ever
But you are right... the left hand cant be too tense ..or you might get cramps later when practicing. I drove for 4 hours today.

Always wear gloves when handling chains and other heavy stuff

c
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 1 2006 3:45:22

carlos soto

I do care my hands but not in that way, I just do whatever I have to do without paying that much attention to my hands in the day but I find it really useful to get a good sleep for my hands to heal after a hard practice day, there was a time that I didn't care about sleeping and I had some serious problems with my hands and ever since decided that I wouldn't touch the guitar if I hadn't had some quality sleeping hours.
I always start with a slow arpegios drill just to warm up. Sometimes I put my hands in hot water after playing to prevent injures, it really depends how much melted my hands are, I just try to not force things up and to not over analyse because eventually you'll stress for nothing.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 1 2006 4:01:30

Miguel de Maria

Interesting. I don't have to do any hard labor or anything like that. When I wash the dishes, I use a glove on my right hand.

I do notice that when I do work such as gardening, or when I do yoga which puts a lot of work on the hands, that my playing seems to be stronger.

Connect with me on Facebook, all the cool kids are doing it.
https://www.facebook.com/migueldemariaZ

Arizona Wedding Music Guitar
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 1 2006 4:02:38

gerundino63

Hi All,

I had a bad pink through the lot of practice new and stretchy things.
It troubled me for over a year, and got aware of everything i did with the hand.

Driving the car tense the hand up a lot, and little things to do are worse than big things.
F.I. put a wire through a needle can be much more tensefull than dig a hole in the ground.
using a screwdriver is bad for the hand, you close your hand a lot, and there is a lot of pressure.

Ofcourse, when you have no trouble at all, you never notice it, bu it is perhaps something to think about.

I use meridian balls to get the fingers loose up.
In the morning before playing, and in the evening before I go the bed.
It is a good practice for the fingers, it warms up good, with no tension.
Ofcourse you must not overdo it also.

For people never heared of it, here is a link to see.
http://home.tiscali.be/jp.macao/exercice.htm

I do not really believe in chinese health things, so I use stone ones with no sound.
Just for the movement for the hands.

Peter.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 1 2006 8:34:46

[Deleted] (in reply to Guest

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 1 2006 14:26:10

Ryan002

I just don't think human hands are so fragile. Surely guarding against even driving and carrying luggage is taking it a bit far. I daresay the condition my hands are in (and they have been throughly abused over the years) does not seriously affect my playing, so long as all my fingers are fine. I work in the family business and I often get scalded by hot soups or tea, or cut myself by accident. It's possible to sprain your hand while bundling large stacks of tablecloths, or to wrench off the corner of a nail. I think anyone who has worked in F & B knows what I mean. I'm sure the gauchos and gitanos who played the guitar in the past, in the harsh conditions they lived in, certainly couldn't take such good care of their hands but they were fine musicians.

I've had 2 skin grafts on my left hand, where I was pierced by a 7 inch tuber root during my time in the army. Another from an ice skate across the back of the hand. When I was a kid my old organ teacher used to rap me hard across the knuckles with a steel ruler all the time, or drip candlewax on the back of the hands as punishment. None of that in any way impaired my playing then as well.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 1 2006 14:39:06

Miguel de Maria

Ryan,
this is OT, but I wanted to ask you something. My wife went to Singapore and Malaysia before we were married for vacation. Although she is 5'3" tall, fairly small for an American, she claimed that she was a giant over there, and that she pretty much would have to go to a tall and fat store to get clothes! She also said that a typical entree might have two shrimp in it! And that if you ordered iced tea, they would give you one of those tiny tea cups with a single ice cube in it. Also if you tried to order several entrees, they would refuse. Is this true? :)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 1 2006 15:24:56

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 1 2006 15:51:41

c

As life goes on injuries add up and some day just when you have more time for flamenco
they might come back to haunt you

Be Careful

ps. never hold yer lead rope in a loop
c
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 1 2006 16:23:43

Ryan002

Well the truth of the matter is that usually, if you don't mind the noise and the crowd, the outdoor food centers give good portions at good quality for a much lower price than a restaraunt here. I am forced to admit that yes, many restaraunts here are very stingy with food and where I am we are definitely guilty of imposing rules like not allowing certain combinations of food (for money reasons).

In order to understand this you have to realize that land space in Singapore (which incidentally is small enough you can walk across it in a day) is at a serious premium. How bad is rent? Well without going into numbers, let me just point out that "doing well" for a local restaraunt usually means 6-9 months steady loss, breakeven from 10th month to the end of the third year, and marginal profits after. Most locals eat at the outdoor food centers. The only time they go to a restaraunt is usually on dates, corporate functions, etc. in which case, decor and ambience weigh more than sheer quantity of food. So we spend a bomb on decor, pay insane rent...and compromise on food quantity (though not usually quality).

Singaporeans do tend to be quite short so perhaps smaller sizes are more common in the shops.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 1 2006 16:24:18

Skai

You mentioned crowd and noise, but don't forget the weather! It's either hot as hell or wet and rainy. Humidity was ridiculously high recently and my hygrometer hit 99%!!

My only other flamenco buddy (known as Chansey on the foro) is also abit taller than an average Singaporean. If I'm not mistaken, I'm a little taller (1.83m, how tall is that in feets?). Not exactly anywhere near the tallest guy in Singapore but I've seen alot more people who are shorter.

One thing though, it's rather inconvenient when I sleep or when I take public transport etc. Most of the time my legs extend across to the next seat and that makes me look like a selfish bast**d. I wish the people who designed these stuff would stop imagining all of us here as midgets. I need my leg room!

To answer Miguel's question, you have my assurance that I myself will avoid such eateries, not to mention, give the eatery bad feedback and warn everyone I know about it. But as far as I know, there aren't any concentration of exceptionally short people here, maybe the average is about 1.6 or 1.7m?

Try some Enrique Iglesias for some great cante.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 2 2006 4:39:48

Miguel de Maria

Thanks for the info, guys. I'm fascinated by far away places, though I haven't been anywhere for awhile. I've been to Panama, New Zealand, Spain, Mexico, and Hawaii (grew up there partaways). This summer I get to go on a cruise to Alaska, and hopefully next year we'll go to Germany to visit my brother and do a Mediterranean cruise. Well, we can dream at least :)

1.7 m looks like about 5'7", which is a short man here in America. Probably the average male here is about 5'10, 5'11. The younger generation is taller, older generations shorter. I'm 5'8", which makes me a bit short. The average woman is probably 5'5". Although again, the young kids seem to be inching up, literally.

But the way Kim (my wife) described it, the average man was only about her height, 5'3". Maybe she was in a special short part of Singapore.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 2 2006 14:50:19

Skai

Whoa.. an online convertor tells me that I'm 6 feet tall! Neither am I a giant, but I do notice that I can see the top of the heads of quite a number of people, especially older generations.. But remember, height doesn't help with your guitar playing!

How about coming here for a performance? I'd try my best to make it. And maybe bring some other flamencos along with you.

To answer the question, I find that NO activity of your hands unless while playing is overdoing things. So is over-straining. Both extremes make my hands go too soft for any decent playing.

Try some Enrique Iglesias for some great cante.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2006 11:12:18

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2006 15:06:20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message