Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Classicals to flamencas ratio?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

NorCalluthier

Classicals to flamencas ratio? 

Hello fellow guitar makers,

I love making and playing cypress guitars! In fact, I've even tried to stir up some interest in cypress classicals, and have built one, so as to have it in stock.

I would be interested to hear what your experience has been with what players are buying. I've always assumed that the flamenco guitar market was a fraction of the classical guitar market, but I really haven't a clue as to how big a fraction.

Cheers,

Brian
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 25 2017 15:21:19

Stephen Eden

RE: Classicals to flamencas ratio? (in reply to NorCalluthier

Hey Brian I guess no one is willing to send you there numbers. They are more than likely to differ across the world but here in the UK I pretty much get to build 1 Flamenco guitar a year! With Spain being so close most people just go get a Conde directly from the shop or want a Spanish name on the Label.

It's also not a particularly popular music here. Classical guitar on the other hand is well established here so I build a lot of classical guitars. Just recently I finished my 200th guitar. Maybe 30 of those are Flamenco guitars.

Classical and Flamenco Guitars www.EdenGuitars.co.uk
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 28 2017 8:44:27

NorCalluthier

Hello Stephen,

Thanks very much for the reply (:->)...

I'm finding much more interest in classicals here on the west coast of the US as well. My first love was classical orchestral music, but I heard flamenco when I was about 18, and had to have THAT!

So, I 'm a fan of classical guitar music, and have it going in the shop for background music---flamenco is too distracting! Also, I do like making Indian rosewood guitars, especially now that I have passed on the French polishing job to someone else, and don't have to fill pores anymore!

I'm going to spend some more effort on promotion of my flamenco guitars, as that is what I care about the most. When I get several in stock I'll hire a local player, Mark Taylor, to make demo videos of them.

My playing chops have deteriorated to an embarassingly low level, and Mark plays wonderfully well, and with taste! Tasteful flamenco? Sounds like a contradiction in terms---but it does exist here and there.

Cheers,

Brian
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 28 2017 14:38:17

keith

Brian, you try sending an e-mail to places that sell both types of guitar and ask them for historical data. GSI and Savage come to mind as well as other places here and abroad. You could try on-line stores that sell lower end guitars as well. You could do a search at E-bay to see how many of each type are currently listed. This may be of some help albeit these are guitars on the block vs. guitars already sold.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 28 2017 23:10:35
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post