Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

is it possible to stop play music ?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

St33

is it possible to stop play music ? 

I like to play the guitar, but that's not what I want to do in my life. have you ever tried to stop playing?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 7 2017 14:39:56

Stu

RE: is it possible to stop play music ? (in reply to St33

Hahaha. Tempted to hit the 'report as inappropriate' button.

I'm slightly confused by the question.
Do you want to 'give up' playing the guitar??

Here's how I did it. Move into a really expensive flat and have a baby.

I suspect youre talking about desire to play. How does one turn that off. It's that right?
But I don't see why you'd want to turn it off.

Ok maybe if its getting in the way of your personal life. Like your wife left you cos you only wanna spend time with the guitar...or you failed your degree....cos you just played the guitar.

If that's the case and its a real problem. Then that's easy. Get rid of your guitar.

If its not that serious and you just want to play less then find another hobby.
Thing is though.....if you can't stop playing then you must love it so why try to cut it down?

Id enjoy it while you can.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 7 2017 15:22:27

gerundino63

I feel guitarplaying, sculpturing, writing, comes from the same source.
I can stop playing guitar, but than I start sculpturing in a week or two, if I do not sculpt then, I start writing or make poems.
One way or the other, the "egg" have to come out....otherwise I get unpappy......once I sailed for two months nothing to do to express myself, and I ended up whistling all day.......

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 7 2017 15:55:00

Escribano

RE: is it possible to stop play music ? (in reply to gerundino63

Same here. If I don't play, I take photographs, paint or write a computer program for fun.

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 7 2017 16:13:53

Dudnote

I haven't played much since June, when I helped a local dance school with 3 theatre shows. I stopped temporarily to make room for other stuff in my life - like moving house and rediscoverring who my wife is. It won't last, once the dust of moving has settled it's just a matter of time before the old addiction rears its ugly head, I relapse and the divorce threats return again

Ay compañerita de mi alma
tú ahora no me conoces.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 7 2017 18:24:49

Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: St33

I like to play the guitar, but that's not what I want to do in my life. have you ever tried to stop playing?

Never

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 7 2017 21:24:23

Marco de Rueil

quote:

St33 : I like to play the guitar, but that's not what I want to do in my life. have you ever tried to stop playing?

If you are reaching a moment when you feel your desire to play guitar is decreasing, I can share my own experience : after having dedicated lots of time to flamenco guitar playing, I went fed up with it. The point was that, going improvising all the time, there came a moment when I couldn't take my guitar and pick a single phrase without saying to myself : f... I already played this stuff too many times. Was that a lack of imagination or an overdose ? I don't know.
But I ended stopping guitar playing.
That was nearly six years ago, at the time when I posted my first videos on this forum, which were kind of an unsuccessful attempt to find a new motivation.

Thought that was forever.

Then a year ago I ended up starting a new metal band for fun, and my buddies asked me to play a little flamenco piece as an interlude for a concert. I obeyed and must say I got some pleasure sharing my music. This encouraged me to go on playing a little more flamenco, and now I must say, even if I'm sometimes struggling a little bit to create something new, that I had some pleasure back.

Don't know how long it will last, but for the moment I can annoy members of this forum posting new videos

Hope my answer isn't off topic

Marco de Rueil

http://www.youtube.com/user/MarcodeRueil?feature=mhum
https://soundcloud.com/marc-de-rueil
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 7 2017 22:20:06

BarkellWH

quote:

Why do you want to stop playing? You can enjoy playing the guitar (as you suggest you do) without allowing it to dominate your life. I had a professional career and still do some consulting in a field that had nothing to do with music. Moreover, I developed and pursued many interests, and the guitar, specifically flamenco guitar, was just one of them. Nothing wrong with playing the guitar as an interesting avocation while pursuing other interests. Not everyone needs to pursue professional level playing. Relax and enjoy your guitar as one among many interests to keep you occupied.

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 7 2017 22:21:48

Piwin

If your priorities are elsewhere then just make sure you put those first. There will probably still be some place left for music.

It's like that cheesy metaphor your hear at weddings sometimes:

Life is like a jar. The big things are rocks and the small things gravel or sand.
Put the sand in first and you won't be able to fit the rocks in so you'll say to yourself that it can't all fit and that the only way to get the rocks in there is to to get rid of the sand. That's when you ask questions like "is it possible to stop playing music?"
But if you put the rocks in first and the sand later, you just might be able to fit it all in.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 7 2017 22:28:14

St33

I think I'm just tired. when i started play music, I felt a sense of magic and wonder from the tone of my guitar, but now, many years later, I get no pleasure from music. Maybe this is a crisis? I play every day many hours (7-8)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 7 2017 22:44:52

Dudnote

Just out of curiosity... are you playing solo, or with others? Are you gigging and managing to live off this?

tú ahora no me conoces.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 8 2017 0:19:03

Piwin

RE: is it possible to stop play music ? (in reply to Dudnote

Yeah if it's 8 hours a day just playing in front of a wall without any outlet, you'd eventually burn out, at least I would. Only play in front of walls that have a power outlet.
Seriously though, I'd need to play with others or for an audience from time to time or else that kind of investment of time would feel like it was a waste.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 8 2017 0:26:15

Leñador

Yeah, you're burnt out. If you are playing with & for people than pull back and explore other hobbies, if you're not then try that first.
Practicing all day for no one to hear it is a recipe for resentment.

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 8 2017 0:40:23

Richard Jernigan

For a number of years I traveled extensively on business: I have nearly 2-million miles on just one of my frequent flyer accounts. It seriously interfered with practicing. Technique degenerated to the point of frustration. I decided to quit playing, but found that I could not.

I bought a stout flight case and started taking a guitar with me when I traveled.

Many years later I began to experience occasional sharp pain in the neck, and persistent numbness in fingers 3 and 4 of the left hand, probably the result of an old injury from a motorcycle wreck long ago. I actually did give up playing for about 5 years.

When I retired, I had plenty of time on my hands, so I decided to see whether I could play again. When I started, the left pinky would not even go to the right string. After more than five years of careful and systematic practice I can now play again, in some respects better than ever. The numbness in the left hand has largely disappeared. It's amazing how the brain and peripheral nervous system can re-wire themselves.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 8 2017 1:05:25

jshelton5040

I played and taught professionally for over 40 years until arthritis invaded a left hand finger and made playing the guitar impossible (the finger had been accidentally dislocated years before). After a couple of years of musical inactivity I couldn't stand it so I bought a piano and embarked on learning another impossibly difficult instrument. I haven't regretted a minute of the hours I've spent learning the piano and now am able to play an admittedly amateurish version of some lovely classical pieces. I love Scarlatti and Chopin among others. My 75 year old fingers are still moving surprisingly fast since I don't have to bend them tightly for the guitar and we're already on our third piano and considering the next one. Music is life!

John Shelton - www.sheltonfarrettaguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 8 2017 2:29:27

scottszone

Instead of quitting, try lowering your expectations. Also, simplify your playing and focus on producing a sound that is pleasing to your ears.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 8 2017 4:25:53

St33

I play which dancers. Sometimes i try compose falsetas, but it doesn't help
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 8 2017 7:14:23

Stu

You get no pleasure from it?

Then stop. Or at least have a break.
Or maybe you've lost inspiration.

How old are you? And how long have you been playing?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 8 2017 9:00:41

St33

I am 20 years old. the experience of the game - 6-7 years.maybe I need to stop to practice the technique and just play music for fun? I have very good rasgueados, pulgar, arpeggios. I'm sick of technical exercises. What do you think, guys?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 8 2017 11:07:04

Dudnote

quote:

What do you think, guys?

Did you ask any of those dancers out for a date?

tú ahora no me conoces.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 8 2017 13:59:20

Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dudnote

quote:

What do you think, guys?

Oh noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.................................

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 8 2017 14:10:42

Stu

Ditch the technical exercises then. Transcribe some cool falsetas from artists you like.
That always gets me motivated. some new material, listen to a new album, make music.

Or don't....

It sounds like your have an evil master standing over you with a whip, forcing you to play. Of you've had enough. Have a break.

Yeah ask a dancer on a date. get laid, get high, get drunk. You're only twenty dude. Unless your being lined up to be a pro, I'd just chill.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 8 2017 14:38:58

St33

RE: is it possible to stop play music ? (in reply to Ricardo

Hahaha. Why?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 8 2017 14:55:06

St33

quote:

quote:

What do you think, guys?

No. it's worth it?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 8 2017 15:01:37

Stu

'Why' what?

Maybe I've read your post wrongly or maybe you haven't been clear with what you are actually asking.

But it's simple....if you don't want to play any more. Stop
If you do want to play but you're feeling frustrated with the practice /playing you are doing, then you need to change it.

Find something to inspire you again. A new album or artist, new material to study or play, different dancers, Other musicians. A new guitar !!!

Good luck
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 8 2017 15:06:19

Stu

RE: is it possible to stop play music ? (in reply to Stu

In the first post you say that playing guitar isn't what you want to do in your life.

So why are you practicing 8hrs a day???

What DO you want to do?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 8 2017 15:16:45

Dudnote

Hasa! Eso es!! Eso es!!! E-E-Eso es!!! Yes! YEESSSS!!! OMFG!!! O-O-OoooolllllllllllleeeeeeeEeeeeEEEeeeEEEE!!!!!!!

quote:

quote:

quote:

What do you think, guys?

No. it's worth it?

Dunno.

Guess it depends which one you ask

tú ahora no me conoces.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 8 2017 16:15:56

Erik van Goch

quote:

I am 20 years old. the experience of the game - 6-7 years.maybe I need to stop to practice the technique and just play music for fun? I have very good rasgueados, pulgar, arpeggios. I'm sick of technical exercises. What do you think, guys?

If you study smart and use your time well 2 hours of quality time (exploring/maintaining yourself and your instrument) can beat 8 hours of mindless repeating/playing (which only cements existing habits, both the good and the bad ones).

The smaller the object of your focus the bigger the result.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 8 2017 17:10:20

jalalkun

music is a passion of mine, stopping won't be an option. for me at least *shrugs*
I also do draw and write stuff, but my major artistic activity is by far music. piano (if I had a good and authentic one, no keyboard or any of that s#it), guitar, a little singing, i have two arabic lap drums, this is passion man. can't turn that sh!t off once it hits you.

a lot of people start playing music, but they stop because they don't feel it sizzle in their fingers when they make music. and it doesn't matter how long you keep playing (6 months or 12 years), if you don't do it for your own self-realization you WILL eventually stop. when I practice i practice stuff that I love to do, I have fun, I doodle around, and then i train with a little more discipline, a little finger stretching here, a little picado there, I try combining technique and repertoire in my practice. e.g. when I want to train my arpeggio (which i'm doing rn) i take a piece that incorporates a lot of these thingies. and the most important thing is: i don't do it for the sake of anyone or anything, but for the sole purpose of my own pleasure. i love it. everyone faces a little lows here and then and they don't play as often as they normally would. but they will get back to it, because the passion inside your heart calls for it man. it shouldn't be mere interest that drives you while learning an instrument. it has to be sheer infatuation, passion. it's the urge of an artist to express himself honestly. if this urge isn't existent then you can basically just stop right now.

BUT !!!

when you find yourself going back to your curvy bonita...you know it has to be love

My name is Jalal.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 8 2017 18:13:41

Leñador

quote:

Yeah ask a dancer on a date. get laid, get high, get drunk. You're only twenty dude. Unless your being lined up to be a pro, I'd just chill.

Eso.

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 8 2017 19:21:36
Page:   [1] 2    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll