Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Ethan´s story   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Ruphus

Ethan´s story 

Everyone has his own ways of getting through. Some seem taken by themselves, trying to push forward, others are rather humble, unobtrusive and maybe not taking chances as due.

On my professional way I have seen mediocre performers and narcissistic types getting up there in no time just by ingratiating with leading staff or owners. And on the other hand there have been true work-horses who would do their bunch of work plus helping out others, only to die away lonely and not even be mourned much by co-workers (in fact with colleagues laughing and joking same day of the passing away).

I think there is not much as ungrateful and unjust like the professional world as we know it.

Just the more I feel sympathy with quiet individuals who do their best at getting a grasp and who invest all the struggle to learn their craft. Often thrown back, picking themselves up and continuing their way. Never pampered, still keeping up.

As a guy who reached to advanced level in several disciplines, yet letting life push me off the trail, I have great respect and admiration for the way of the persistent and passionately hanging on.

And having come across Ethan´s vita on GSI today, I was touched reading it. In case you havn´t read it yet, here it is: https://www.guitarsalon.com/blog/?p=8134

In our conversations he didn´t mention even once that he used to be a flamenco guitarist, let alone professionally. Nor would I had guessed that he was seeking for the art in Spain in times already before I and most people in Europe had even noticed that there exists a virtuous genre called flamenco, not flamingo.

He is a brave valiant from early on. Never pampered, still keeping up.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 1 2017 4:20:22

SephardRick

RE: Ethan´s story (in reply to Ruphus

Rufus,

Thanks for the link.

IMHO I agree with all you mentioned about Ethan. Plus, he produces a sensational sounding guitar.

Rick
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 1 2017 13:11:22

Ricardo

I was not surprised to learn he was pro....his playing demoing his guitars exemplified that long ago, not even counting recent offerings of Punta del Faro and such which were also excellent. The true testament however was a short while back I was honored to be selected along with Ethan, Atrafana, Grisha, and Sabicas by the amazing educator R. DIAZ as guitarists whose technique should be analyzed (not going to mention for WHAT ). Congrats to us all!

Finally, I was forunate to play one of his blancas in spain and it was indeed a top class instrument.

On a personal level I enjoy his postings on facebook about animals and such, and of course I love to challenge all his favorite conspiracy theory crazy things too.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 1 2017 17:31:11

Ruphus

One more proof for how lucky those are who have access to youtube whenever they want, and if wanted to facebook as well.

All blocked from here, plus seeing local provider´s tarifs for throughput, streaming being one expensive thing too.
-

I have no working VPN since quite a while, and besides, the Chinese now too, as Apple removed VPN apps from its domain, bowing to regime & profits.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 1 2017 18:58:38

Erik van Goch

That was some pretty nice reading. Checked his Facebook page but unfortunately was not able too find the animal and conspiracy stories Ricardo mentioned.

Acces to youtube is indeed a blessing, when i started to investigate flamenco in the 70-ties and 80-ties you had to go to a concert to see a flamenco guitarist in action.

Speaking about youtube, here's an other fan of Ethan and actually i'm a bit surprised he was not on the invite list of the amazing educator R. Diaz :-).

The smaller the object of your focus the bigger the result.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 1 2017 22:43:45

rombsix

RE: Ethan´s story (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

The true testament however was a short while back I was honored to be selected along with Ethan, Atrafana, Grisha, and Sabicas by the amazing educator R. DIAZ as guitarists whose technique should be analyzed (not going to mention for WHAT ).

Me too!

Ramzi

http://www.youtube.com/rombsix
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 1 2017 23:00:16

jalalkun

Actually, Ethan mentions on his website that he is a professional flamenco player. His CV is still very interesting, dropping out of high school and having a Ph.D. is a huge leap. and I want to know which video by Mr. Diaz that is, I'm too curious

My name is Jalal.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 3 2017 11:56:54
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote