Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

link to flamenco/food articles   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

mdiago

link to flamenco/food articles 

Hello Forum,

I'm a former flamenco guitarist (I posted on her once or twice, I did the Summer 2011 Malaguena challenge as Cedar). I stopped playing due to injury but have been filling the void with food. I hope this isn't seen as soliciting (because I'm certainly not making money), but I thought people may be interested in checking out some of the flamenco related articles (and food/music pairings) on my blog, https://themusicalingredient.com. My latest post pairs Segovia (I know not Flamenco) with Fisherman's eggs. I talk a bit about my flamenco journey and I sure some of you could relate to it. Please check it out and comment/share if you get a chance.

Mike
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 26 2017 23:27:43

Leñador

RE: link to flamenco/food articles (in reply to mdiago

Thanks! I can surely appreciate this.
You may enjoy this little article where Diego del Morao is paired with different Sherrys.
http://www.sherry.wine/nl/copa-jerez/blog/copa-jerez-forum-the-harmonisation-of-sherry-flamenco

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 27 2017 0:23:44

mdiago

RE: link to flamenco/food articles (in reply to Leñador

thanks for sharing that! I just added it to my facebook page. Diego Del Morao, and the Jerez tradition, in general, has created some of my favorite Flamenco. I've never been a big sherry drinker, but I may pick up a bottle.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 27 2017 1:58:18

Leñador

Start with fino, then work you're way up to the darker sweeter stuff. At this point Oloroso is about as sweet as I can get.

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 27 2017 2:19:40

mdiago

Good to know, I'll do as suggested. When I was about nineteen a friend and I got into a habit, during a vacation, of trying to finish a bottle by the time we walked from the top to the end of the Barcelona Rambla. I'm sure we weren't appreciating the flavors at that time, although we did have a great time.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 27 2017 2:27:15

Leñador

Haha, I had a habit while on vacation at the festival de jerez of finishing a couple of bottles worth a day. It was a glass here, a glass there and glasses with everyone at night and when I counted it up it was usually close to 2 bottles. Good times though.

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 27 2017 3:28:53

BarkellWH

quote:

I've never been a big sherry drinker, but I may pick up a bottle.

By all means do so. Sherry can be an acquired taste for some, but it is great as an aperitif before dinner. My favorite sherries are fino (very dry) and amontillado (medium dry). I particularly like the "nutty" flavor of a good amontillado. Manzanilla is a type of very dry sherry produced around San Lucar de Barrameda that has a hint of sea air in its flavor. Stay away from the sweet sherries like oloroso and so-called cream sherries. Those are for old ladies.

Although it has no relationship to flamenco in the way sherry does, as long as we are on the subject of drinks I would like to put a plug in for a good tawny port. There is nothing that finishes off a satisfying dinner so much as a postprandial port. I have a long-standing love of both sherry and port that results from a sort of Anglophile background more than anything else. But when I took up flamenco late in life I found the sherry fit right in.

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 27 2017 12:23:32

estebanana

I was with David Serva in Sevilla, he was living there while his wife was working on a Fulbright scholarship doing research about Gitano famiy lineages.

This gave David and I plenty of time to hang out. One late afternoon we happened to meet in a bar and have a little bit to eat. We had a potaje in a cup and some jamon and a few other things, maybe olives and a beer. I was running out of money getting near the end of my trip and David spend all the money I gave him for lessons taking me out to drink and eat. I tried to pay, but he just said no. Told the bar owners not to take my money. He taught me some things. Gentleman.

We were eating and I took a few spoonfuls of potaje, and then made a sour face. I asked him to try the potaje.. He tasted it and spit it out. He cussed a little at the bar owner and told him to bring us two finos. He told me to rinse my mouth out with fino and spit it out. He said the potaje had turned and the alcohol in the fino in the mouth would kill the bacteria.

Scientifically I have no idea if this is true or not, but I did not get sick. I thought this was very fun, and once I expelled the first gulp of fino, I poured the rest of the glass down my maw. I think the only drink which could have have packed more medicinal punch would have been a shot of Machaco.

Sometimes it's so ferking hot in Japan on summer mornings that I wish I had a shot of Machaco to go with my morning coffee, just to give my head a little chill.

I like some pork chops too, cooked with pimenton and onion. Hold the bacteria.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 27 2017 13:21:03

Morante

RE: link to flamenco/food articles (in reply to BarkellWH

quote:

Stay away from the sweet sherries like oloroso and so-called cream sherries. Those are for old ladies.

Little do you know An oloroso seco is a maravilla and a real oloroso with 50 years in cask cannot be considered on the same level as Harvey´s Bristol Cream or Canasta, both of which are artificial. If you like manzanilla, look for Barbiana or Goya. If you prefer Fino de Jerez, look for Inocente.

Then there is Palo Cortado, which is a great accompaniment for salmorejo and the amazing Pedro Xímenez which is great with strawbwrries and helados.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 27 2017 13:24:10

estebanana

RE: link to flamenco/food articles (in reply to Morante

quote:

ittle do you know An oloroso seco is a maravilla and a real oloroso with 50 years in cask cannot be considered on the same level as Harvey´s Bristol Cream or Canasta, both of which are artificial. If you like manzanilla, look for Barbiana or Goya. If you prefer Fino de Jerez, look for Inocente.

Then there is Palo Cortado, which is a great accompaniment for salmorejo and the amazing Pedro Xímenez which is great with strawbwrries and helados.

Fukckign show off! Next you'll show us how to tie Atlantic Salmon flies!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 27 2017 13:25:29

mark indigo

quote:

Start with fino, then work you're way up to the darker sweeter stuff. At this point Oloroso is about as sweet as I can get.
never had a "dulce" (Pedro Jimenez) with dessert? or poured over vanilla ice cream? yummmmmmm!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 27 2017 14:01:46

mark indigo

quote:

At this point Oloroso is about as sweet as I can get.
Morante got there first, but I've only ever had dry Oloroso

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 27 2017 14:05:27

Morante

RE: link to flamenco/food articles (in reply to estebanana

quote:

Fukckign show off! Next you'll show us how to tie Atlantic Salmon flies!

Anytime you like In a previous life I was a professionally qualified game angling instructor. But I still havn´t made a guitar to show off.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 27 2017 15:19:40

BarkellWH

quote:

Little do you know An oloroso seco is a maravilla and a real oloroso with 50 years in cask cannot be considered on the same level as Harvey´s Bristol Cream or Canasta, both of which are artificial. If you like manzanilla, look for Barbiana or Goya. If you prefer Fino de Jerez, look for Inocente. Then there is Palo Cortado, which is a great accompaniment for salmorejo and the amazing Pedro Xímenez which is great with strawbwrries and helados.

To each his own, but after drinking sherry for most of my adult life I long ago settled on fino and amontillado (primarily amontillado) as my favorites. Oloroso not so much, and never cream sherries. In the U.S. most restaurants and watering holes do not serve sherry in a copita. They tend to serve it in everything from an "Old Fashion" glass to variously-shaped after-dinner drink glasses. I ordered a set of six actual sherry copitas from a firm in California in order to drink my sherry as it should be drunk--from a Spanish copita.

As an aside, adding sherry when preparing lobster or crab bisque really adds to the taste.

Cheers,

Bill

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 27 2017 15:32:25

Ricardo

Manzanilla and fino needs to be fresh....unfortunately here in the states that fact is little understood. I have received gifts of bottles of La Gitana that have been stored in some wherehouse for years or got too much sun on it's journey and it's turned a nasty orange color...turning into Amontillado. Yuck.

I am quite lucky to have a liquor store near my house that imports fresh sherries from Barbadillo bodega, a large bodega where we have enjoyed many Juergas and mini Conciertos with Gerardo Nuñez in Sanlucar. The manzanilla and other sherries are always fresh, pale green in color etc. And of course I have my copitas (two left that have not yet broken in my collection, but still, it's a must).

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 27 2017 17:13:21

mdiago

Thanks for all the feedback. It sounds like years of pleasure and memories have poured from those bottles of Sherry.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 28 2017 2:56:00

mark indigo

I have heard various Celeb chefs, foodies, and just the other day a wine expert on TV recommend fino with fish and chips.... seems like a waste of fino given the greasy stodge most chip shops serve up....

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 28 2017 11:10:06

estebanana

I was too drunk to remember which person told me this or where I read it, or I might have even hallucinated it, but.....

There is an account of Anzonini bitching about having to take a bottle of manzanilla out of Jerez over some mts. in a taxi and in a kevtch fest saying the trip was ruining the
manzanilla. He said once you take manzanilla ot of Jerez it is no longer any good. And that a bouncy taxi ride is bad enough for the sacred beverage.

And the proper glasses to drink fino is a must. My dear Keni Parker gifted me a set of Spain made fino glasses in 2011. Essential gear.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 28 2017 11:52:57

mrstwinkle

I'd advise specifically not starting with Fino unless you already like extremely dry whites. Personal faves are palo cortados, followed by amontillados and olorossos. Small sip of Pedro Xeminez now and again but it is very sweet.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 28 2017 13:48:47

estebanana

I advise going to a place where you can still get mosto and drinking aplenty.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 28 2017 14:02:10

BarkellWH

quote:

nd the proper glasses to drink fino is a must. My dear Keni Parker gifted me a set of Spain made fino glasses in 2011. Essential gear.

Absolutely! The Spanish sherry copita is essential gear. I gave myself a set of six as a Christmas present about 12 years ago. It's frustrating in the US to go to a first-rate restaurant, order sherry, and have it served in an Old Fashion glass. I have to restrain myself from delivering a lecture to the sommelier on the proper way to serve sherry.

Bill

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 28 2017 16:13:29

Leñador

Anyone know where you can buy legit glasses online? While I was out there I thought "Oh I can get these glasses when I get back home." Now I can't find them anywhere.....
And now I can't remember, do they use a different glass for amontillado vs fino?

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 28 2017 19:35:29

BarkellWH

quote:

Anyone know where you can buy legit glasses online? While I was out there I thought "Oh I can get these glasses when I get back home." Now I can't find them anywhere.....And now I can't remember, do they use a different glass for amontillado vs fino?

I ordered mine about 12 years ago from Marjorie Lumm's Wine Glasses, a firm based in San Anselmo, CA. It was the only place I could find that had authentic copitas.

The copita can be used for both fino and amontillado.

Bill

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 28 2017 20:27:50

estebanana

I looked at the Spanish Table http://www.spanishtable.com

No glasses, but for Spanish food everyone should know about them. You can order things like pimenton.

I stopped ordering fino is restaurants because I got tired of the strange glasses it would come to the table in. And that if they had it in the wrong glass, they were not aware of how to treat fino, it was probably old because they did not sell much.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 28 2017 21:21:35

Leñador

Damn, best I can tell Marjorie Lumm is no mas :/
Yeah Spanish table, they always have a booth at the bigger events here in LA. I don't know if there's a single restaurant in LA that even serves fino.....
Luckily there's a great wine shop by me and the fino and amontillado seems to be pretty on point, doesn't taste corked or old to me....

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 28 2017 23:50:07

estebanana

The best next thing to fino glasses are the small water glasses that old time italian places serve red wine in. I've had mosto in those glasses. It is the best alternative I think.

Even better find mosto made by old Italians!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 29 2017 3:38:24

Escribano

Pretty close and at least they are made in Europe

https://www.amazon.com/RONA-Gala-Sherry-Glass-Set/dp/B01LOIQUBE/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1501317313&sr=8-8&keywords=sherry+glasses

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 29 2017 8:37:16

Leñador

Ah thanks Simon!
I've got one more local spot to try today, if fruitless amazon it is!

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 29 2017 15:20:39

mark indigo

quote:

He said once you take manzanilla ot of Jerez it is no longer any good.

surely you would first have to take the manzanilla to Jerez?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 31 2017 12:26:32

Morante

RE: link to flamenco/food articles (in reply to mark indigo

quote:

surely you would first have to take the manzanilla to Jerez?

Quite right Not easy to find manzanilla in a Jerez bar, nor fino de Jerez in a bar de Sanlúcar.

Though Tío Pepe seems to be universal.

Beware of the recent fad for manzanilla y fino en rama: horible!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 31 2017 14:54:27
Page:   [1] 2    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post