Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Bad notes in classical guitars   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

NorCalluthier

Bad notes in classical guitars 

Hello All,

It would be nice to be able to make just flamenco guitars as I play flamenco, and can judge their quality from a player's perspective. Though I listen to classical guitar all the time---flamenco is too distracting in the shop---I don't play any.

Classical guitarists are, shall we say, particular? They want even response up in the high treble region where I hardly ever venture---I only get to the 10th fret in one falsetta in Granadinas.

So, presuming that you flamenco builders build classicals as well, what do you do to avoid bad notes up in the treble, or to fix them when they do occur?

My bracing pattern is a variation on the Romanillos//Elliott open cross bar design.

Cheers,

Brian

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 9 2017 21:28:10

Ricardo

RE: Bad notes in classical guitars (in reply to NorCalluthier

quote:

ORIGINAL: NorCalluthier

Hello All,

It would be nice to be able to make just flamenco guitars as I play flamenco, and can judge their quality from a player's perspective. Though I listen to classical guitar all the time---flamenco is too distracting in the shop---I don't play any.

Classical guitarists are, shall we say, particular? They want even response up in the high treble region where I hardly ever venture---I only get to the 10th fret in one falsetta in Granadinas.

So, presuming that you flamenco builders build classicals as well, what do you do to avoid bad notes up in the treble, or to fix them when they do occur?

My bracing pattern is a variation on the Romanillos//Elliott open cross bar design.

Cheers,

Brian

As a player, I have to question this "bad note" phenomenon that only classical guitarists seem to have. "Wolf note" etc, I think players suddenly notice that their guitar soundboard has been "tuned" and it bothers them. Flamenco players tend to be more aware of this probably because we use amplification so often where certain frequencies might become problematic.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 10 2017 22:46:02

NorCalluthier

Hello Ricardo,

I didn't mean to imply that flamenco guitarists don't notice bad notes in their guitars. I made a matched pair of ultralight flamencas, one with a Spanish cedar bridge that weighed just under 11 grams. The other had my standard Brazil rosewood bridge. The one with the cedar bridge had some super strong notes that jumped out at you---first time that has happened to me, and it was annoying! The one with the rosewood bridge had a more even response.

What classical players seem to want much more often than flamenco players is sustain---particularly up in the high treble area.

The bracing system that I use makes for a lot of resonances the higher up you go into the treble. That's great for tonal richness, but it increases the chance of having a resonance land right on a scale tone. When that happens the sound box draws all the energy out of the note, and you get a loud pop, but no sustain.

A solo player can sometimes fix that by tuning a quarter tone sharp or flat. Stefano Grondona when playing that collection of historic guitars for his two CD's---wonderful player!---"tuned them to where they sounded best".

Cheers,

Brian
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 10 2017 23:20:06

Tom Blackshear

Brian,

If you have followed any of my fine-tuning threads on this forum, you would see how I manage to cause a synergy with the strings highs and lows, thereby creating close to total harmony. Generally I try and use the bass as support for the treble end but there are other ways you can use it.

There is a lightly played 2013 Blackshear classical #321 for sale at Savage music....

170707-blackshear-321 –

https://www.savageclassical.com/product/tom-blackshear-classical-guitar-321-reyes-spruce-eirw/

Tom Blackshear Guitar maker
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 11 2017 15:00:28

Tom Blackshear

Just for a point of interest is the person of Arthur Overholtzer, which his ideal plan was a forerunner of these two plans

http://www.luth.org/memoriams/mem_arthur-overholtzer.html

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 11 2017 16:04:17

benros

RE: Bad notes in classical guitars (in reply to Tom Blackshear

sounds not very balanced to me, more like weak in the basses and very dominant trebles, but its probably just my headphones or the savage player ;)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 11 2017 20:10:00

Richard Jernigan

RE: Bad notes in classical guitars (in reply to benros

I was listening to some guitars on Savage's site yesterday. My computer plays into a pretty good sound system. I thought the sound was very "trebly." Couldn't tell whether it was the recording or Savage's playing. Maybe it was both.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 11 2017 20:19:54

Escribano

RE: Bad notes in classical guitars (in reply to Richard Jernigan

quote:

Couldn't tell whether it was the recording or Savage's playing. Maybe it was both.

Sounds like a weak thumb to me.

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 11 2017 20:59:44

Ricardo

quote:

The bracing system that I use makes for a lot of resonances the higher up you go into the treble. That's great for tonal richness, but it increases the chance of having a resonance land right on a scale tone. When that happens the sound box draws all the energy out of the note, and you get a loud pop, but no sustain.

As I said I have heard about this thing many times, but never come across it myself as a player....I would really need to experience it first hand myself. For example with your cedar bridge, did you try different strings brand and tension before deciding the notes are bad?

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 11 2017 21:21:30

Tom Blackshear

RE: Bad notes in classical guitars (in reply to Escribano

quote:

Sounds like a weak thumb to me.

You are correct. The guitar has bass if the thumb can manage it.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 11 2017 22:21:23

estebanana

I agree with Ricardo. Most of the problems classical players find with guitars are because they are weak at tone production. Most classical players are weak at bringing out all the potential of a guitar because they are not robust players at drawing out projection. They tend to blame the guitar if they can't master every area on the fingerboard map.

Guitars are always based on a series of trade off qualities and many guitar players don't understand their own sound enough to work with all guitars. They expect the guitar will perform for them without putting in the work to learn how that particular guitar needs to be worked.

Advanced classical players get this stuff, but in general I think Flamenco players learn better tone production faster than classical players. I pretty much don't listen to classical players any longer unless they are highly accomplished players, or unless the have figured out technique to achieve really big beautiful tone. Until they attain that level most of things they say critically about guitars are not worth much to a builder. They just don't have the technique to really pull the sound out of a guitar and they are not a good judge of the way the guitar works. Flamenco students attain a deeper understanding of tone production and projection sooner, they have more reasonable things to say about tension and playability.

I've had so many bad experiences with classical players with various guitars I've made, and them blaming the guitar for having 'wolf tones' or bad notes, only to find out it's a minor set up issue or a non existent problem. Or simply that the player is poor at tone production, clawing at the strings for example. Or just plain prejudiced against those to mainly build flamenco guitars. One particular guitar I took to a dealer who soundly pooped on it, but he could not play very well. Later a professional player borrowed it to make a recording. Many years ago I showed a guitar to a hot shot child player who was about ten years old. The child whined and dissed the guitar, said is was bad. The parents were supportive of the child and said if he says it's bad, it's bad. About a week later a gigging adult professional player bought the guitar. He thought it was very nice.

The moral of the story is: Spank a child, starve a therapist.

And bear in mind that classical guitarists may suffer from 'Princess and the Pea' syndrome and feel lumps where there are no lumps. If you show your work to "Classical" players with a capital 'C', be prepared for a litany of neurotic judgments from about one third of them.

From classical players, only take heart in a critique given by a top level player. " I know what I like." from a player usually translates as "I like what I know."

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 12 2017 2:25:37

Stephen Eden

I'm quite surprised that you haven't had a good answer yet.

I find that controlling the cross stiffness of the top can have a good effect on limiting and lessening the effects of Wolf notes and Dead notes.

However I don't think you can achieve a completely balanced guitar. You could pick up any guitar in the world and find either one or the other if not both. I usually do just to satisfy my inner ego that even this great maker doesn't have all the answers! There are always going to be some resonances clashes.

If you are talking about the entire upper register being dead than I would think there is a bigger issue with the construction. Usually I would suggest the top is too thin or under braced as to have the effect of choking the trebles or the top is over built so the strings aren't strong enough to drive the top. That's just my experience of it though.

Classical and Flamenco Guitars www.EdenGuitars.co.uk
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 12 2017 7:49:28

Ricardo

RE: Bad notes in classical guitars (in reply to Stephen Eden

quote:

However I don't think you can achieve a completely balanced guitar. You could pick up any guitar in the world and find either one or the other if not both. I usually do just to satisfy my inner ego that even this great maker doesn't have all the answers! There are always going to be some resonances clashes.

Whoa, wait a minute...what about Stephen Faulk and um, Conde Hermanos?

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 12 2017 14:06:21

Tom Blackshear

RE: Bad notes in classical guitars (in reply to benros

quote:

sounds not very balanced to me, more like weak in the basses and very dominant trebles, but its probably just my headphones or the savage player ;)

Thanks for the feed back but I think Brain understands this phenomenon when corrected with alzapua technique. I recently had the guitar in my shop and can attest to the fact that it has a strong bass.

But then it's all a matter which part of guitar tone you are motivated to play. The treble basically tells the story to where the bass gives its support. In a concert hall, it's the treble that projects with its mid-range as the story teller.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 12 2017 14:34:03

estebanana

There's really no comeback for that, other than to say what Maude used to say: "God will get you for that one Walter."

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 12 2017 14:38:44

mark indigo

RE: Bad notes in classical guitars (in reply to estebanana

quote:

And bear in mind that classical guitarists may suffer from 'Princess and the Pea' syndrome and feel lumps where there are no lumps.

In the story the Princess feels a pea that is there. Her sensitivity enables her to feel the pea through a pile of mattresses, and this proves she is a "real" princess. I'm not sticking up for classical guitarists imagining problems with guitars when it's them at fault, but just saying, wrong story!

quote:

The moral of the story is: Spank a child, starve a therapist.

I thought therapists were kept in business by adults previously spanked, beaten or otherwise abused in childhood....? I guess the complete lack of boundaries of the "liberal parents is just as bad....

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 13 2017 12:47:45

NorCalluthier

Hello All,

Thanks very much for all the replies!

To answer your question Ricardo, I didn't try different strings on that ultra-light that had the extra loud notes. Since it has a Euro-spruce top, I figured that its response was going to change a lot in a few months, and that I would re-visit it then. That guitar was bought by an exclusively classical player who doesn't play flamenco at all! Go figure (;->)...

Classical players are notoriously fussy, but I certainly can hear what they are hearing when a treble note has little sustain. Jeff Elliott says that a bad note will often "play out" over time, but an advanced classical player that I spoke with had a Ramirez that he loved and played for years. It had a bad C#---9th fret of the 1st string---that stayed dead.

I've made a cedar topped classical that has delighted a number of good players, except for the D#---11th fret of the 1st string---which has little sustain. Whether I play that note picado or pulgar, really punch it or play it softly, it's quite obviously weaker than the surrounding notes. I've tried "mass loading" the top in various places with Poster Tac, but with little effect.

Hello Stephen, I think that adding cross grain stiffness to the top as a means of controlling wolf notes and "bad notes" is a good idea. My bracing pattern produces a killer "cross tripole" resonance up in the high treble region. In final voicing I try to get that resonance to move to exactly halfway between two scale tones, but it seems to affect notes anyway.

Cheers,

Brian

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 13 2017 15:50:04

NorCalluthier

Hello again,

You may have noticed that the cross tripole in the photo is very close to that C# at the 9th fret at 554 Hz.

If you look closely you will see that the back is taped on, not glued on. The photo was taken during my "final voicing" process, and I remove the back, and reduce the height of braces---or glue reinforcements on to them---until I have the resonances coming out where I want them to be.

Notes on my wood testing and voicing processes are available on request:

brian@lessonsinlutherie.com

Cheers,

Brian
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 13 2017 17:08:29

Ricardo

quote:

To answer your question Ricardo, I didn't try different strings

Well, in all cases, please try it. You might be surprised. I find strings to be the number one culprit as far as guitar "faults" are concerned. Fingers, number 2. Humidity number 3.

I have "fixed" various guitars' actions, intonation, brightness, warmness, sustain, percussiveness, volume,"pulsation", responsiveness, "flamenconess", etc, whatever adjectives, simply by experimenting with different string brands and tensions.

Ricardo

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 14 2017 14:15:15

NorCalluthier

Hello Ricardo,

I will take your advice.

I recently "fixed" the first classical I've made to a "larger" plantilla by switching strings. My standard brand and tension is good old normal tension D'Addario J45's, with a Savarez Alliance third string. With those on the "larger" model guitar, the treble just couldn't keep up with the big bass.

My "larger model" is not only about 2% larger in every dimension than my "standard" model, it is voiced a half step lower. I was trying to see if I could make a more modern style instrument that would compare favorably with the larger classicals.

I get strings from Strings by Mail, and they were praising Dogal's new "Mastrales", so I swapped in a set of those---in spite of their hefty price. That did the trick, and the treble came up to match the bass in volume---with one caveat:

Dogal supplies one of their regular nylon first strings for replacing the Mastrale first string, and a good classical player, who played the guitar for a time, preferred the standard nylon first string. Though I don't play classical, I'm inclined to agree with him that the Mastrale first string sounded a bit "tinny". The Mastrale trebles are opaque blue in color, which is a bit disconcerting visually.

By the way, I didn't notice any difference between the D'Addario basses and the Mastrale basses. I should try just using the Mastrale trebles with the D'Addario basses.

I have to guard against getting involved in yet another research project, so trying out different strings has not gotten much attention---the "boy scientist" in me is readily seduced, while the bills are crying out to be paid (;->)...

So what advice would you give for brands and tensions to try, and for what problems?

Many thanks for taking the time and trouble to post answers to my question.

Cheers,

Brian
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 14 2017 15:50:22

NorCalluthier

Hello again Stephen,

After sleeping on your advice to try changing the cross grain stiffness of the top, I think I will try making a copy of Jeff Elliott's bracing pattern which uses seven fans instead of my five. His design is covered in an article in the Fall 2016 American Lutherie, and the Guild sells full size drawings.

I took a class from Jeff and Cyndy perhaps twenty years ago, and Jeff said that he liked the open crossbar design, but that it was "more difficult to control". He advised that we stick with the 1942 Hauser pattern.

I didn't see a reason to change to the open cross bar design until I ran across a page of holograms in "Engineering the Guitar" by French. It showed a resonance that I hadn't seen in my guitars, and it was right up in the high treble region where Jeff's guitars really shine. Trevor Gore's words of wisdom are that the more resonances, the richer the tone, provided that you can keep them off of a scale tone.

I checked with the author of the book, and the guy that took the holograms, and neither of them knew anything at all about the guitar. I surmised that to get that much activity in the upper bout---it seems the strongest---the guitar must be using the open cross bar bracing of Romanillos//Elliott---a guess, I know.

So I came up with the design in the drawing that you see earlier in this thread. It has been working very well for me on my flamencos, and except for the occasional bad note well up the first string, on my classicals as well.

Cheers,

Brian

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 14 2017 16:31:10

kitarist

quote:

I am not a luthier, but recently came across a PhD dissertation from 2015 by William Roberts which has a whole chapter on 'wolf notes' as well as summarizes and references all relevant research on this and other areas to do with physics and psychoacoustics of plucked-string instruments. As you know, the wolf note phenomenon has to do with coupling/coinciding of string and guitar body modes at particular frequencies (modes on a string is just referring to its fundamental and partials).

I put it on google drive for download here as it was freely available after a free registration at a UK library/database site. Perhaps some of it may be of interest or even use to you.

Below is an image grab from the discussion section toward the end.

Attachment (1)

Konstantin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 14 2017 18:56:13

NorCalluthier

Hello Kitarist,

This is great! While I'm not fluent in "engineer-speak"---too much math---I did come under the influence of engineers and physicists at a tender age. I would really appreciate knowing about the "free registration at a UK library/database site" so that I can read the whole article.

Thanks very much for your post (:->)...

Cheers,

Brian
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 14 2017 20:05:50

kitarist

quote:

... so that I can read the whole article.

I already included a link to download it directly - where it says "download here" in my post above the image - you can click on that. :-)

It is 178 pages in total; but I like reading PhD dissertations because they go methodically through a subject area in a textbook fashion..

Konstantin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 14 2017 22:08:15

NorCalluthier

Hello again Kitarist,

Got it! I zipped right on past the download link the first time I read your message. Thanks again!

I've tried a couple of strategies for saving it to disk, but haven't found a way to do that. Any suggestions?

I'll have to postpone reading it until about mid August as I'm doing final voicing on three instruments to be ready to play for videos at the end of July---two classicals and a Brazilian negra with a redwood soundboard---I think that one is going to be a "cannon".

I don't like working to deadlines, but a good classical player and a videographer are able to come for the last weekend this month for videoing. I'm trying to get eight guitars to the playable stage.

Cheers,

Brian
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 15 2017 0:11:55

kitarist

quote:

I've tried a couple of strategies for saving it to disk, but haven't found a way to do that. Any suggestions?

Once you click on the link above, you get to a page on Google drive which shows you the first page of the thesis. In the top right corner, click on what I have circled here in the image - it is the download button. You should get a download dialog asking you if you want to save the pdf document.

Attachment (1)

Konstantin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 15 2017 0:40:57

estebanana

Brian, some unsolicited advice on model, don't build those open bar models to figure out the cross grain stiffness stuff. The straight forward Torres model or that drawing that REB made of the 1939 Hauser is better.

If you build the Hauser with a good top good trebles are a slamdunk.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 15 2017 1:16:50

NorCalluthier

Hello Stephen,

I think the open cross bar design has little to do with cross grain stiffness. My version of it deviates from Jeff's in that I get cross grain stiffness with the two little "wing braces", and I'm thinking that doesn't make up for eliminating the traditional bridge patch. In Jeff's latest version of his bracing pattern he has widened his bridge patch somewhat. Also I'm using five fans instead of his seven.

The best treble that I ever heard in a classical was at a GAL convention, in 1995 or 1997. There were 33 guitars played in a classical guitar listening session with about a hundred in the audience. Jeff's guitar was the only one applauded. It had that clear bell like treble that I only dream about producing. Everybody could hear it!

That guitar used Jeff's version of Romanillo's open crossbar design. The question is whether that great treble was because of, in spite of, or was not affected by his bracing plan. I don't pretend to know.

By the way, when I worked for Gene Clark in 1963, he was trying to get activity into the upper bout. On Freddy Mejia's all spruce flamenco he ran the four fans from under the bridge, through the two cross bars, and into the upper bout. He showed me on that guitar how salt would bounce up and down in the upper bout when he plucked a string.

On a maple flamenco that he built for Dave Borson in 1964 he left off the upper cross bar altogether. At that time he "wasn't ready" to open up the cross bars, and I don't know if he ever did try opening them up.

With the bracing plan that I'm using I'm getting good treble, with the exception of one or two weak notes---not necessarily the same ones from one guitar to the next. I think there are a number of things that help to produce good treble, with high quality soundboard wood being the most important. I would add perhaps half a dozen others like hide glue, shellac finish, split bracing, well quartered bridge wood etc...All the usual suspects.

Cheers,

Brian
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 15 2017 16:01:59

Ricardo

RE: Bad notes in classical guitars (in reply to kitarist

quote:

ORIGINAL: kitarist

quote:

I am not a luthier, but recently came across a PhD dissertation from 2015 by William Roberts which has a whole chapter on 'wolf notes' as well as summarizes and references all relevant research on this and other areas to do with physics and psychoacoustics of plucked-string instruments. As you know, the wolf note phenomenon has to do with coupling/coinciding of string and guitar body modes at particular frequencies (modes on a string is just referring to its fundamental and partials).

I put it on google drive for download here as it was freely available after a free registration at a UK library/database site. Perhaps some of it may be of interest or even use to you.

Below is an image grab from the discussion section toward the end.

Interesting the three points highlighted are exactly what I was referring to earlier....humidity change, fingers (intonation when playing), and strings brand/tension differences.

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 15 2017 16:51:20

NorCalluthier

Hello Ricardo,

I think that the second thing that Kitarist highlights---the width of the wolf note---is out of the control of the player, and is a characteristic of the particular guitar.

Cheers,

Brian
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 15 2017 17:17:44
Page:   [1] 2    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll