Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Do Vicente Amigo and Antonio Rey not grow out their thumb nails??   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

nikgogl

Do Vicente Amigo and Antonio Rey not... 

I came across these photos on Facebook. If you zoom into the right hands of Vicente and Antonio it appears that they barely have any thumb nail. Which is weird because I thought having a long nail is crucial to the flamenco style.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (4)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 3 2017 16:41:20

mrstwinkle

RE: Do Vicente Amigo and Antonio Rey... (in reply to nikgogl

Short-nailed photobomber?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 4 2017 1:56:43

Dudnote

quote:

ORIGINAL: nikgogl
I thought having a long nail is crucial to the flamenco style.

Size isn't everything Nikgogl. This is the flamenco analogy of it ain't what you got, it's what you do with it.

Juan Martin has the longest thumb nail of any flamenco I ever saw. Moraito had a pretty hefty thumb nail too.

Those long nails seem to force those guys to really use the side of the thumb, even for alzapua. I don't think they're getting their thumb anything like as close to 90 degrees to the strings as some of the more virtuoso technical monsters like to go for pulgar and alzapua.

Horse for courses - hefty nails slow ya down. The guys you mention are so precise they can hit that nail and get great tone even if it ain't gonna win any whopper nail contest.

I'm about as precise as the goat in my avatar - and you should see the size of my....

Ay compañerita de mi alma
tú ahora no me conoces.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 4 2017 2:37:14

Richard Jernigan

RE: Do Vicente Amigo and Antonio Rey... (in reply to Dudnote

Sabicas had relatively small hands. The nail of his right thumb was unlike any other I have seen. Instead of sticking out straight, it curved over the end of the thumb, conforming to the shape of the thumb's end. He didn't grow it very long.

Sabicas often played with his thumb nearly perpendicular to the strings. His alzapua was lightning fast, like the rest of his playing could be, and unfailingly precise and musical.

There's a story drifting around somewhere that Segovia saw Sabicas playing, and remained for a long time, fascinated with watching Sabicas's thumb.

But remember what Borges said, with false modesty, about his collaboration with Bioy, in the Autobiographical Introduction to one of his books: "I take no credit for those stories, since they are almost inherent in the structure of language."

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 4 2017 20:42:37

estebanana

RE: Do Vicente Amigo and Antonio Rey... (in reply to Richard Jernigan

quote:

Sabicas had relatively small hands. The nail of his right thumb was unlike any other I have seen. Instead of sticking out straight, it curved over the end of the thumb, conforming to the shape of the thumb's end. He didn't grow it very long.

Sabicas often played with his thumb nearly perpendicular to the strings. His alzapua was lightning fast, like the rest of his playing could be, and unfailingly precise and musical.

There's a story drifting around somewhere that Segovia saw Sabicas playing, and remained for a long time, fascinated with watching Sabicas's thumb.

But remember what Borges said, with false modesty, about his collaboration with Bioy, in the Autobiographical Introduction to one of his books: "I take no credit for those stories, since they are almost inherent in the structure of language."

RNJ

Small handed Don Trump could have done us all a favor if he had just tripped into a night spot in NYC when he was a late teen and taken a look at Sabicas. Perhaps he too would have seen the master dominate the instrument with his small hands and like you, the estimable Mr. Jernigan, become an aficionado of depth and wisdom.

The chance was there, but history did not take it. But sad is it not, that we could have had such a rich and influential aficionado as El Donald. His sello propio could have been short hooked nails and like Sabicas a beautiful peluca. We could call him Peluca de Oro, but never Manitas de Oro. No never.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 5 2017 7:26:40

JasonM

In general, many modern players keep their nail shorter than the old school players.

I saw that picture and also took notice of how extra short his thumbnail seems to be. I then thought I'd try and file mine down to a similar size and shape, just to see... And... no. Sound is weaker for me, alzapua was harder. Benefits seem to be less resistance with triplet rasg and I can really get a nice golpe sound when hitting the soundboard with a thumb up stroke. But I've noticed that sometimes just a days more growth can make a big difference.

I've always thought that pics of nails can be misleading. Because it's hard to see shape, and relationship of white nail to flesh.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 5 2017 16:20:32
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post