Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Soundhole blockers   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

mrstwinkle

Soundhole blockers 

Currently unable to practice after 10 pm as it will annoy the neighbours!

I used to be able to fit one of those plastic soundhole covers in my old guitar, but the distance between the strings and the top of the guitar on my new (to me) Bernal is approx 9 mm so most of those I can see on Amazon / ebay etc are too deep and won't fit under the strings. Anyone recommend something other than a lot of butchery with a scalpel?

(
For reference, I mean something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Guitars-Gear/SODIAL-Acoustic-Guitar-Soundhole-Cover-Screeching-Rubber-Black/B00LHN1P3U/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1497200513&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=soundhole+blocker

)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 11 2017 17:05:44

Piwin

RE: Soundhole blockers (in reply to mrstwinkle

Have you tried just rolling up some toilet paper under the strings or using a sponge?
I've never tried a soundhole blocker so I don't know how it compares soundwise, but just a suggestion in case you hadn't thought of it.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 11 2017 17:14:54

mrstwinkle

I tried. While soundhole blockers undoubtedly make the sound quite bad (flat / dead), I find damping the strings directly changes the playing characteristics even more adversely.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 11 2017 18:28:22

Leñador

What's wrong with the one you posted? Your strings are flexible and the blocker is rubber, seems like it should work.....

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 11 2017 18:52:10

Piwin

Interesting. I might give this type of thing a try just to see (since it doesn't look to expensive )
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 11 2017 20:25:16

mecmachin

Hi there,

the device goes inside the sound hole, and only the upper border lays on the top of the soundboard.
I have the one from Firestone on an ugly plywood guitar. It dampens out mostly the basses, and makes it sound more flamenco in this particular case. The guitar isn't really muted, these devices are normally referred to as "anti-feedback" for amplified acoustic guitars. So it is up to your neighbors if they hear a difference.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 11 2017 21:09:06

Escribano

You might know of the English expression "put a sock in it!" meaning "turn it down!". I guess it is related to practising a brass instrument or the non-amplified gramophone speaker horn.

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 11 2017 21:28:54

estebanana

Lot of older Spanish players and many non Spanish use the sponge trick, and also taught it to students. There are special ways to practice with a sponge that can build certain areas of technique. Slow practice with ligado arpps, and picado among them.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 12 2017 2:59:44

mrstwinkle

RE: Soundhole blockers (in reply to Leñador

In response to Leñador's comment: "What's wrong with the one you posted? Your strings are flexible and the blocker is rubber, seems like it should work.....
"

High tension strings and, at least on the one I have, fairly stiff rubber. Plus the top of my guitar isn't 100 percent level so there is a bit of a bulge on one side. If I could find one that is less deep and a bit more flexible, I might be in luck.

I know the tissue paper or sponge trick works, but in terms of pure personal preference or the response of the strings/guitar, I like the bung better.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 12 2017 10:02:38
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post