Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

NEED A GOOD GUITAR   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Useful Stuff >>Classifieds >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

steve123

NEED A GOOD GUITAR 

Hello everyone, I am pretty new on here, but wanted to ask a few questions. I am looking for a concert quality guitar. Now, I have only $1500 dollars to spend. I know what everyone is thinking, "thats nearly impossible dude" well its worth a shot. I am attending Texas A&M International University and need something right away, and seeing that I am a flamenco guitarist, I was looking into a negro which would be more versatile while in school. I love the Conde Hermanos Negra that Paco plays and would love to buy that model, but it doesnt seem like that would be happening in the near future. So I am looking for the same sound, alot of volume and sustain. I would love to hear from everyone. Please try to stear me in the right direction, I dont want to jump into something that I will not like. Thank you for your help. STeve
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 30 2006 4:00:44

Ron.M

RE: NEED A GOOD GUITAR (in reply to steve123

Hi Steve,
Welcome to the Forum!
The truth is that even if you had $7,500 to spend, you still might not be able to find the guitar of your dreams. You can only buy what's available at the time, unless you want to place an order with a luthier and wait a year or more.
Folk spend years buying, selling and trading guitars, still looking for the "right" one.
Unless you are giving concerts etc, a nice, well made proper Flamenco guitar that feels comfortable to play is what you should be looking for....not a "great" sound.
Your technique will be the biggest factor in your overall sound, not the guitar.
Have a talk with Tom Nuñez at www.lafalseta.com
He's also in Texas.
Tom's got a lot of experience with guitars and has a great reputation.
I'm sure he'll be able to find what you are looking for.
Also I've heard a lot of good things about the Yamaha although I've never seen one.
It's very reasonably priced and sounds like a great practise instrument.
That'll leave you plenty money to buy things like CDs and Encuentro DVDs etc.

cheers

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 30 2006 9:26:04

Gecko

You may want to check out a Hermanos Sanchis Lopez 2F, though I don't know if you can get it in a negra. I have heard good things about them and if I'm not mistaken there is a member here who is located in TX and handles them.

http://www.lafalseta.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 30 2006 10:53:41

steve123

Hey thanks alot guys. Yeah I arleady got a hold of Tom and he suggested the Sanchis Lopez. But wanted to see if anyone else had one or has heard one. Just wanted to get and idea of how this guitar sounds.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 30 2006 16:13:02

Patrick

quote:

Yeah I arleady got a hold of Tom and he suggested the Sanchis Lopez.

Tom is leading you in the right direction. Great guitar with a Conde sound, without paying the Conde price. Don't look any further, just get one from Tom and be done with it so you can spend time on the most important stuff (playing).
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 30 2006 18:22:36

All the above advice is great. Buying local and playing on the guitar is best for many reasons, but many of us can't do this so we depend on sound clip and dealer reputation and their opinion. Shipping cost money, so their is added expense.

Everyone likes a different tone quality in their guitars. Here are my suggestions given the limited information you provided.

1. Get a lacquer finish . French polish is easier to damage.
2. Consider a used guitar. Many new guitars depreciate for a few years. Some dealers sell the same player a different guitar every few months and the ones they take in return are discounted considerably. A few unsightly scratches won't hurt the tone, but might drop the price.
3. Just because the guitar is signed by a famous maker doesn't mean it is the same guitar sound you hear on a recording. Look for a little known maker.
4. Instead of a concert guitars, look at student models....
5. If you buy on ebay find out something about the seller before buying. There are some nice guitars from honest folks on there, but also some dealers unloading the "pound puppies" from their inventory.

I have three flamenco guitars. I never can decide which one I like best, so I am trading off one and selling another to buy one guitar that is superior to either in my opinion. I will always keep the negra I made in 1974 although I don't prefer the negra sound for flamenco.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 31 2006 12:09:32

hello steve you should try a benito huipe negra or a blanca i know you can buy one for 1500 dollars and that guitar is a great quality guitar... if you are interested contact this guy ... he's email is mojoalex@hotmail.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 1 2006 8:14:16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Useful Stuff >>Classifieds >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post