Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Rasgueo abanico vs Rasgueo Morote (Triplet)   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Ilir

Rasgueo abanico vs Rasgueo Morote (T... 

Hi there,

I have started playing guitar/flamenco three years ago. As probably the most of flamenco beginners I was very fascinated by the triple rasgueo resp. by its sound. I started learning it by watching a couple of youtube videos, most of them entitled "flamenco triplet" or what so ever. I consider triplet to be the thumb up, m+a down, thumb down thing.

In the meantime I also learned about the rasgueo abanico which rythmically is the same but its played as all of you know usually with thumb up, a down, i down. But as to me the triplet seemed to be easier back then, I kept playing it the triplet way. Recently I learned where it has its origin:

A few weeks ago I hooked up with this new flamenco teacher and he said that no "serious" flamenco player would use the rasgueo triplet/morote and that it doesnt allow one to use accents and I should focus on the abanico.

At the end it is usful to know both I think. But I really would like to have your thaughts in this regard. Which one do you prefer and why?

Best Regards
Ilir
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 5 2017 7:42:48

Piwin

RE: Rasgueo abanico vs Rasgueo Morot... (in reply to Ilir

quote:

he said that no "serious" flamenco player would use the rasgueo triplet/morote

Ridiculous. It's like saying no serious flamenco player would use ami arppegio, only ima. Of course you can use marote. In fact, most of the time (at least in my environment) when people refer to abanico it can very well be a marote. Abanico just means you're doing that "fan" movement with your hand, marote is just a specific way of doing that, but it's not really two different techniques IMO.
Which finger set-up you use depends on what you're going for. For me, marote is good for hiting all the strings, and particularly useful when accompanying dance. Other abanicos make it easier to focus on just one group of strings (say, if you want to bring out the trebles but not so much the bass for example). At least that's how it is for me. Ask your teacher to try to bring out ALL the strings without doing a marote and see if he can.

edit: oh, and welcome to the foro!

"Anything you do can be fixed. What you cannot fix is the perfection of a blank page. What you cannot fix is that pristine, unsullied whiteness of a screen or a page with nothing on it—because there’s nothing there to fix."
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 5 2017 9:20:29

Dudnote

Posted on the nail thread recently. Pay attention at the end

I prefer thumb, index, pinky because I'm better at it than marote.

Ay compañerita de mi alma
tú ahora no me conoces.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 5 2017 11:14:17

Piwin

RE: Rasgueo abanico vs Rasgueo Morot... (in reply to Dudnote

You've changed techniques then. I distinctly remember you saying that you played marote with your teeth! Why did you change? Was it wearing off your gums maybe?

"Anything you do can be fixed. What you cannot fix is the perfection of a blank page. What you cannot fix is that pristine, unsullied whiteness of a screen or a page with nothing on it—because there’s nothing there to fix."
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 5 2017 12:08:12

Morante

A few weeks ago I hooked up with this new flamenco teacher and he said that no "serious" flamenco player would use the rasgueo triplet/morote and that it doesnt allow one to use accents and I should focus on the abanico.

Change your teacher.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 5 2017 15:27:40

mark indigo

quote:

ask them to watch their copies of Encuentro videos again, Tomatito, Chicuelo...

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 5 2017 15:42:07

Mark2

I never realized Marote wasn't serious-he sure sounds serious to me.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 5 2017 22:05:30

Leñador

Serious flamencos use a pic. :P

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 5 2017 23:00:43

Ilir

Thank you very much to all you for your thoughts - and for the jokes!

This is confirming the way I use to see this.

Regards!
Ilir
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 6 2017 13:34:23

Dudnote

RE: Rasgueo abanico vs Rasgueo Morot... (in reply to Piwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Piwin
You've changed techniques then. I distinctly remember you saying that you played marote with your teeth! Why did you change? Was it wearing off your gums maybe?

You remember all the secrets of my most modern toque Piwin!!

I'm still a big fan of the tooth alzapua - even though in dance class I chip teeth quite often. I make emergency fixes with silk wraps, superglue and UV gels. This can slow down class a lot because when drying you have to pull a real crazy grimmace to avoid gluing your jaws together and that can scare some of the younger students. So it's good to still have so more traditional techniques at hand incase the modern stuff pings out a canine or two.

No serious flamenco player today can consider themselves modern without the tooth alzapua and incisor marote.

Ay compañerita de mi alma
tú ahora no me conoces.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 7 2017 0:57:17

Piwin

RE: Rasgueo abanico vs Rasgueo Morot... (in reply to Dudnote

Everyone thought PdL was revolutionizing flamenco.
Meanwhile the real revolution was silently being brought about by Dudnote and steadily gaining ground.
You have some followers. This guy's not yet using his teeth, but you can tell he's got the chin down, which is a good start:

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 7 2017 4:45:24

constructordeguitarras

I learned the Morote way first, a long time ago. I switched to abanico because I find that it wears the nails less and can be done with either pai or psi (s being the little finger).

Ethan Deutsch
www.edluthier.com
www.facebook.com/ethandeutschguitars
www.youtube.com/marioamayaflamenco
I always have flamenco guitars available for sale.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 7 2017 19:15:52

jalalkun

I learnt the way Marote did it first aswell, because it's so much easier to just engage the whole wrist than separate fingers. Both can be very useful depending on the situation. But no one ever told me that the Marote Rasgueo was in any way not serious. In fact, I believe if you wanna make really serious loud noise the Marote Rasgueo is THE way to go.

My name is Jalal.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 8 2017 6:05:22

Ilir

RE: Rasgueo abanico vs Rasgueo Morot... (in reply to Piwin

LOL Piwin

Dont mean to disrespect the player in the video, but what the heck is he doing there with his chin?

Regards
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 9 2017 15:34:43

Piwin

Yeah I know he looks ridiculous. But to be fair he does manage to play some stuff that might not be possible otherwise.
Some players like Rafael Rabello would use the backside of the fretting-hand thumb when they were out of fingers (passing over the neck from the bottom, so the opposite of what electric and folk guitarists do). It's pretty cool though when you think about it. They have a particular voicing in their head and they'll shuffle the technique around and even use ridiculous things like their chin just to get that voicing!
And then there's always the infamous nose harmonic (right before 2:00)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 9 2017 16:09:05

Ricardo

Marote is certainly an over used and abused technique by flamenco students, particularly outside of spain. I don't shy away from teaching it, however I make it clear to students that there are reasons to use certain techniques vs others having to do with the already mentioned chord voicings, and also tempo and dynamics. Simply put both techniques p-a-i and marote have versatility but taste will dictate what are the more appropriate applications for one or the other. I also feel that a player can get away with avoiding doing Marote technique ever, but forever avoiding the p-a-i might leave something to be desired about the players personal style. Hence my first sentence above.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 10 2017 15:10:27
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll