Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Learning flamenco   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Resources >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Rahul

Learning flamenco 

Hi ,

My name is Rahul and i am from New delhi , India.I play classical guitar and recently i have been listening to Gipsy kings.

They play awesome music and that is called flamenco as i searched out.I am interested to play it on my guitar though i don't have any clue how to do it.

I have been playing since 10 months now and can do decent fingerpicking and strumming but i guess in flamenco they play guitar really really fast.

Any tabs , clues , suggestions or lessons (if they exist !) would help and i am amazed to find a forum dedicated to only flamenco style of music.

Play On...

The new flamenco lover ,

Rahul

I wanna learn flamenco on my classical guitar.Help !!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 29 2006 14:05:32

flyeogh

RE: Learning flamenco (in reply to Rahul

Rahul welcome to flamenco heaven. If you look back through some of the posts (try search) you will find hundreds of thoughts on learning materials. Personally I like the Juan Martin stuff but there are plenty of options to suit all types.

If you also search on the Gypsy Kings you will also find comment as to where they fit in within the varied flamenco world. There's a guy here who has played with them and knows them well.

Try http://home.comcast.net/~flamencoguitar/flamenco.html for lots of tabs and other stuff. Tom is a member here and has helped me a lot despite being on the otherside of the world from me.

Myself I picked up my first ever guitar two years ago and without the help of this forum I would have undoubtedly given up. If you have qs on technique, practise, compas, ...... whatever the guys here are really helpful. Enjoy

nigel (el raton de Watford - now Puerto de Santa Maria, Cadiz)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 29 2006 14:55:09

Gecko

Rahul:

I am relatively new to flamenco guitar myself. I have tried Juan Martin, Luigi Marraccni and Graf-Martinez and in my opinion Graf Martinez's, Flamenco Guitar Method Vol 1 & 2 is the best of these. To me he covers the basic techniques in greater detail, and gets you to playing some easy, short flamenco in lesson 1.

Be aware that in some flamenco circles, but not here, mentioning the Gypsy Kings in the same sentenance with flamenco can arouse the ire of certain flamencos.

http://www.graf-martinez.info/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 29 2006 15:44:13

Rahul

For now i only know about gypsy kings so ...you have to ignore my ignorance as i am a dirt scratch starter.I first heard 'hotel california (spanish version) which seized up my fantasy.Then i also love 'La bamba' and the lead guitar (tremolo and the riff) and the harmonics at the end at awesome.Not to undermine the rhythm guitar which can set you dancing

Now some questions -

1.Do i have to learn classical style of guitar (eg playing pieces by various composers like fernando sor etc )

2.Is flamenco really tough to play ? (that's an emotional one ..heh )

I am already seeing the nice attitude of this forum which is very encouraging.

Thanks , looking forward to dive into some fast playing ,

Rahul
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 29 2006 17:20:30

Gecko

This is just my opinion and experiences as a relative beginner. Others may have different opinions and experiences.

When younger I played a lot of 6 & 12 steel string, acoustic guitar. Then I did not play at all for about 20 years. When I retired I moved to New Mexico, USA where there is a strong Hispanic influence and a thriving flamenco community, at least in Santa Fe and Albuquerque, but it is in other areas as well, just to a lessor extent. Like you I became enamored with the Gypsy Kings, Omar Liebert, Jesse Cook and others thinking they were playing flamenco. In fact I attended and still attend their frequent concerts here. I am also able to attend Maria Benitez flamenco shows a couple of times a year.

About two years ago I decided to start to play again only concentrating on what I thought was flamenco. As I began talking about this to people I soon was told and sometimes not to courteously, that what the Gypsy Kings, Liebert and Cook normally play is not flamenco. Here their music is called fusion, gypsy or New World flamenco. Now after a period of study, playing some easy stuff and talking and listening to many others, I too realize that their music is not what is referred to, in knowledgeable circles, as flamenco. There are others here, far more qualified than myself that can tell you why it is not considered flamenco, in its truest sense. Now that is not to say that they are not great artists in their own right and I still enjoy listening to them and attending their concerts. In fact I will be attending an upcoming Jesse Cook concert as well as a performance by Chuscales.

I started out trying to learn flamenco on my own and found that for me at least it was too difficult. I searched for a flamenco teacher in my local area and could not find one, but I did find a classical guitar instructor and have been taking classical lessons for about 10 months. About 3 months ago I tried the flamenco again and found that is was remarkably easier for me and have been making, what I believe to be, pretty good progress since.

In the best of all possible worlds I would start by taking flamenco guitar lessons. If that was not possible I would take classical lessons and after a few months begin studying flamenco on my own. To me, at least, some aspects of flamenco are difficult to learn, particularly the rhythm structures which are referred to as compas. Likewise some of the techniques are fairly difficult to learn as well, particularly on your own, but here is where my classical lessons have helped greatly.

BTW do you own a guitar? I suppose you know there is a notable difference between a classical guitar and a flamenco guitar. They are not the same instrument. Can you play flamenco on a classical? Yes, but the sound won't be the same and your speed. later as you develop some, will be less, or at least more difficult to obtain (higher action on a CG, normally).

As far as "diving in and playing something real fast." Well maybe, in a year or two.

I'm just getting to the point that I can do some of Martinez's first lessons at a fair, yet not 100%, speed. At this point I refuse to sacrifice good technique for speed. I'm told speed will come naturally with practice which I do 2-3 hours or more daily (between classical and flamenco).
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 29 2006 18:51:27

Thomas Whiteley

Hello Rahul;

You can approach flamenco in so many ways. It is up to you to find what you like.

For some flamenco is a way of life, and for others it may be a type of music that they enjoy playing or listening to.

Whatever your path I would suggest first learning the basic methods of playing flamenco. Technique is very important!

The Oscar Herrero step by step series is very good for technique. There are three in the series.

I would suggest the Juan Martin two volume series. Volume one may be all you need to get a good start. This is the series that is on DVD and CD.

If you want to play rumbas then I would suggest:

http://www.graf-martinez.info/flamenco-rumba.html

You do not have to play accompaniment for balie y cante to have fun with flamenco guitar. I tend to call anything outside the realm of traditional flamenco “flamenco like music”.

Above all the music is there for you to enjoy yourself.

Tom
http://home.comcast.net/~flamencoguitar/flamenco.html
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 29 2006 19:33:45

Rahul

Yes its tough to play barre chords on my classical guitar. (but i can do it after 7 months of pain...)

But i consistently try.I have gotten some links about this style and along with it i am going to do progressive classical guitar studies.(opus by sor)

It seems that i need to find some time for learning guitar.So much to learn and so less time !
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 30 2006 11:06:24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Resources >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post