Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Cedar top on Hinoki back & sides   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

estebanana

Cedar top on Hinoki back & sides 

This is think the 7th Hinoki guitar....

Anyway, back and sides Hinoki with a Cedar top. All the other Hinoki blancas have been Spruce toppped, so this is combination I have been wanting get into for some time.

The model is evolving a a bit. I'm working with two main ides, the infamous, and notorious, but ever so awesome 51' Barbero and this five fan baring pattern that is mine. It looks very similar to what some other Foro makers have been doing, and frankly it is. Good ideas are good ideas. I drew that pattern in 2014, but it is as old as the hills, influenced by older guitars from the 1950's -60's I have seen with that basic five fan pattern, but arranged a bit wider. The strap braces between the lower trasverse bar and bridge are a newer idea I use to stabilize that area a bit.

Those who have played the guitars I've made this way have simply said, "Funky, gitano sounding" and that's it. Which tells you really not much, so you'll have to wait and see. I like being told it sounds funky rather than someone trying to describe something that sounds like a wine tasting. "Fruity, with hints of Cedar and canela, smooth finish with a acid overtone glow" ......Uggghhh......

This one is possibly for a customer who already has one of my blancitas with a spruce top, and he is a very good player. This musician has had in his possession three of my blancas, but he covets one of mine that belongs to another pro player. He expressed an interest in hearing a Cedar top with this bracing, so I'm doing it. He's looking for something very specific and he's well heeled enough to wait for it. He'll snatch it up as soon as he hears it. Where this one will ultimately end up, I'm not sure. It's possible the care and feeing of this one is open to kind animal lovers, depending on its purr.

Further note on this one, I took it right to the edge of where I understand it is stable. It'll be a like skin pulled over a dry box. That is what the player asked for, I'll see if I can deliver.

Follow along if you care! I take the making of a guitar very seriously, but there's still Plenty of Sarcasm to go around!

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (2)

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 14 2017 22:32:06

estebanana

RE: Cedar top on Hinoki back & sides... (in reply to estebanana

Multi panel back.

Attachment (2)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 14 2017 23:08:02

Leñador

Lookin sweet Stephen! Can't wait to hear it! Work is doing well right now, if it keeps up this way I may have to hit you up for some sort of negra/hybrid thing for the south american folk I like playing.
In the mean time I'm loving my hinoki blanca and so is everyone I'm showing it to.
Recently showed a country finger picker I know and he was super impressed, he'd only ever played classical nylons, he had no idea a nylon could be so aggressive, he couldn't put it down. He's got you're name, he may be giving you a "ring" some time.

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 15 2017 5:30:18

estebanana

Len, thank you. I'm happy work is good for you. Take that nice girl of yours to Italy first, then if there's anything left put down a deposit, Remember how we did it last time.

My bossa playing composer in Japan is very content with his Hauser style madagascar rosewood back and sides, but all the talk about 'Coral' is interesting to me. I understood from a dealer many years ago, 1980's, that non blanca or non negras are called 'Rosas' that is a nice way of getting at it, but I like Coral too.

You should double date with Jernigan when he takes his babe to Italy, he knows the food shops and tells long interesting tales. I'm very happy your work is going well.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 15 2017 6:57:04

estebanana

...Santos Fernandez?

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 16 2017 3:44:11

estebanana

Centering the back to begin mortising the back braces and gluing on the back.

I utilized some flamed maple rib trim pieces to make back strips.

Attachment (3)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 20 2017 3:08:26

estebanana

RE: Cedar top on Hinoki back & sides (in reply to estebanana

Flip phone, Kirk to Enterprise.

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 20 2017 3:16:40

estebanana

Here is the mosaic tile I went with for this one.

A note on the braces- I did think about the Bellido of Robje's, that he posted here last year, when I was making this one. Although the basic top bracing is my own, there are additional strap braces that are included which are an influence from Robert Rucks' guitars I have seen with flat straps between the fan braces. The arrangement of the strap braces owe something to the Bellido.

I've used the strap braces successfully in the past about 10-12 years ago, but I am looking at them again when working with Cedar top blancas. There is a kind of voice I'm looking for and I think this is a good route to it by way of giving more top support and stiffness along the grain.

The cost is 2 grams. Each of the larger straps bring 1 gram of weight and increase regional stiffness a great deal. Right where I wanted extra stiffness, I get it for two grams. Let's see what happens.

The player who is asking me to build this way, if I could encapsulate his idea of voice into one phrase it could be taken from Ali's pre fight trash talk- 'Floats like a butterfly, strings like a bee.' He wants his guitars to play like that. It's a challenge. He wants guitar that effortlessly treads water and sounds out when marking time, but can lay into it and have it bite hard. He said he values this and even 'homogenized' sounding guitars are boring him. It was some of the best feedback I've ever gotten, he preferred unsophisticated and raw over refinement and polish in the voice. It gave me renewed faith in the idea that we make the way we make and the guitarist chooses what they like no matter the brand on the label.

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 21 2017 6:08:34

estebanana

I put some shellac on it, i usually do before I glue the fingerboard on. I like the color combination of the cedar and hinoki separated by the black ebony binding.

Tomorrow the fingerboard then and lotta French polishing and pegs and set up.

Attachment (3)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 28 2017 8:02:18

estebanana

More rushes-
French polish begins-

Attachment (3)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 2 2017 5:36:04

HemeolaMan

SF = Super Fresh.

or

Strangely Funky

or

Subtle Friction

[signature][/signature]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 2 2017 15:38:50

Echi

Very pretty.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 2 2017 16:18:22

SephardRick

Your designs have always been a breath of fresh air and eye catching. You adapt the instrument to user. I really admire that. But...my curiosity is killing me on this one...I have to stayed tuned for this build.

Rick
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 5 2017 17:32:43

estebanana

RE: Cedar top on Hinoki back & sides... (in reply to SephardRick

quote:

Your designs have always been a breath of fresh air and eye catching. You adapt the instrument to user. I really admire that. But...my curiosity is killing me on this one...I have to stayed tuned for this build.

Interesting to hear. I do make off the wall stuff, but not as often as you think. My basic idea is to make Spanish work like the Santos, de la Chica, Barba, Reyes etc. guitars my friends have that I've spent a lot of time with. I work for really light Spanish sounding guitars that are informed by those makers, but I take off from there and make some components with my own sello propio, like the rosette with the simple square tiles.

Other than that, the headstock design and the way I carve a heel and shape the neck, brace, and overall conceive of a flamenco is traditional Andaluz stuff. I'm using Hinoki about half and half now as Cypress, and I'm out front as an advocate of changing the guitar world to normalize new kinds of woods and back and sides material.

All that, but my work is ground deeply in a close and long study of Spanish work, and I think that is most important.

I'm waiting for a special shipment of viola pegs, I made a rather large quantity order of pegs. They should arrive in about a week. I plan on making more wooden pegged guitars, as I get feedback from players who feel like it's time to bring that back after a decade of people being scared of pegs. I'll be making instruments with tuning machines, but also pushing the pegs.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 6 2017 0:38:06

Leñador

Yup! I'd say the most radical thing about you is the woods. You're making people realize many other woods can accomplish the same thing as traditional woods. I've got a hinoki b&s and every player I show it too says "Wow I've never played anything like that outside of old Spanish guitars." It's a total old school blanca. But that's exactly what I requested. To me, you're true talent is predicting the outcome of the guitar and giving the client EXACTLY what they've asked for. Being in LA I've got to play a lot of guitars and am pretty picky about my feel/sound balance so I was worried about ordering sight unseen. I expected something close to what I requested but I got EXACTLY what I requested and more to be honest. When I sneak my right hand up closer to the fretboard it does some great sweet South American stuff. Thanks again Stephen, it's kept me playing during times I probably would have stopped.

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 6 2017 1:25:11

estebanana

Gee I think I need shot of tequila after that to bring me back down off my expanded head trip lifting me off the ground.

Mostly glad that you are going to the guitar for solace when things are bumpy. It's the best route through the poop.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 6 2017 3:07:18

estebanana

Sideshow:

I'm making a fleet of ukulele with used fish shipping boxes- they are washed and unstinkified. I made a stamp so I could make smaller more playful labels for the uke. Watercolor and stamped labels-

Attachment (2)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 11 2017 8:54:28

SephardRick

Cool block graphic.

Rick
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 11 2017 16:39:14

estebanana

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at May 20 2017 4:30:25
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 20 2017 4:30:02

estebanana

W waiting for order to arrive with material I need to finish guitars, I built a concert size ukelele-
This one worked out really nice. Mexican Cypress back and top with Swiss Pear sides, keyaki neck and pegs. It sounds great.

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 20 2017 4:34:51

estebanana

Reporting back on this one. Finished is except for gluing on the golpe.

I say directly in the video how to contact me, but I'm not mentioning price or anything. I just want to show how the guitar came out, but I included more information about what I do than folks on the Foro may need. I have not really taken final photos of it, but I'll put up a few later.

More trigger warnings ----- I wear Crocs brand clogs in the video, if you have a problem with that I can't help you. Seek professional therapy for shoe intolerance. My sound rig is still jacked up, I am aware of the situation and working on getting new equipment.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 14 2017 14:32:18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote