Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Jose Maria Bandera   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

AlVãl

Jose Maria Bandera 

Hi All
Such a great player
He has posted a few of these split screen guitar arrangements
He seems an underrated or not often spoken about musician
Other than his work with PDL or Sara Baras can anyone point me in the direction of ANY recordings where he is featured?
Much appreciated..
Al
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 26 2017 22:19:02

Ricardo

RE: Jose Maria Bandera (in reply to AlVãl

He is PDL's nephew. He was integral part of PDL's trio in 1991, lots of concert footage including what he does on Francisco Sanchez DVD with PDL and Cañizares. In Caña de Azucar he takes it up a notch with maybe the fastest picados ever. The only audio from that trio was the Albeniz pieces recorded on PDL's Concierto de Aranjuez album. You see him play second guitar for Sara Baras in Saura's Flamenco Flamenco, and probably his most important role was to carry the show called "Mariana Pineda" which is actually the music of Manolo Sanlucar, featuring Sara Baras again. It is odd we don't have more from him, super underrated player.

Ricardo

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 27 2017 10:18:20

avimuno

RE: Jose Maria Bandera (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

probably his most important role was to carry the show called "Mariana Pineda" which is actually the music of Manolo Sanlucar, featuring Sara Baras again.

I second that. Manolo's beautiful composition was incredibly well brought to life by Bandera. It is kinda weird that we barely hear of him now. Hopefully this will change.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 27 2017 10:55:46

Piwin

He did have a CD with some of his own compositions a few years ago. Enguaro? Something like that. It didn't leave much of a mark on me.
Part of the reason he's not that well known is that the bulk of his work was for the Ballet nacional de España. He was (perhaps still is?) the in-house guitarist there for a long time.
So you're more likely to see him in something like this, kind of outside of the typical flamenco circuit I guess:

edit: went rummaging around for that CD. Turns out, I'm not even sure if it was a CD!! All I can find are references to a show called "Enguarao" but nothing about a CD. Maybe it was some bootleg recording or something. Or maybe I'm just losing my mind.

"Anything you do can be fixed. What you cannot fix is the perfection of a blank page. What you cannot fix is that pristine, unsullied whiteness of a screen or a page with nothing on it—because there’s nothing there to fix."
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 27 2017 11:15:24

AlVãl

Thanks for the replies everyone ..
My research led me to much the same place ..
The site discography is a bit thin ...was hoping for more

http://josemariabandera.com
quote:

edit: went rummaging around for that CD. Turns out, I'm not even sure if it was a CD!! All I can find are references to a show called "Enguarao" but nothing about a CD. Maybe it was some bootleg recording or something. Or maybe I'm just losing my mind.

Thanks for the rummage Piwin . .and the clarification .. :-)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 27 2017 20:15:30

Piwin

Yeah sorry about that. I'm gonna keep on looking when I have a bit more time though.
I'm certain I listened to a full version of Enguarao and I'm also certain I never went to see it live so...
gah this is frustrating!
Anyways, if I manage to come across it I'll keep you posted.

Here, just to make things worse.
http://www.chalaura.com/2015/09/01/entrevista-al-guitarrista-jose-maria-bandera/
In this interview from 2015 he says:
“Tengo un disco hecho, finalizado. Un disco de guitarra sola. Lo estaba haciendo cuando se murió Paco y he sido incapaz de volver a ponerme con él."
i.e. he has a solo guitar CD ready, that he was working on when PdL died, and hasn't managed to put the final touches to it.
That would have to be something different than what I was thinking of and I guess this just makes it even more frustrating. He has a CD ready to go but won't release because of an emotional block I guess. Understandable but frustrating for us!

"Anything you do can be fixed. What you cannot fix is the perfection of a blank page. What you cannot fix is that pristine, unsullied whiteness of a screen or a page with nothing on it—because there’s nothing there to fix."
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 27 2017 20:26:03

AlVãl

RE: Jose Maria Bandera (in reply to Piwin

Please do .. I've managed to collate most of his work ., just find the Sara Baras concert a bit hard to watch .. Kept a note of all the guitar/ensemble bits .. The choreo doesn't quite click with me .. Too athletic for my tastes .., like she'll launch into
Javelin por buleria
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 27 2017 20:30:00

Piwin

quote:

Javelin por buleria

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 27 2017 20:44:28

avimuno

He's certainly in good company here!

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 28 2017 11:20:15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages