Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Contratiempo exercise   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Dudnote

Contratiempo exercise 

Those of you with rock solid compas will find this a breeze. I found it pretty mind bending and am not taking my guitar out of the box again till I fix this. Here is my new rub your belly and pat your head on steroids bulerias contratiempo palmas exercise...

Set meteronome to click 3/4 time at 80 bpm. This is clicking 6, 2, 4, 6, 2, 4 etc in half compas

Left foot - tap 6,2,4,6,2,4,...
Right foot - tap 1,3,5,1,3,5...
Palmas - clap the 1/2 beats

If you think it's easy, then record it to check it's all in place. If that's good, turn up the meteronome. If you rock at 100bpm upload a video of your skills and win some respect.

Enjoy!!!

Ay compañerita de mi alma
tú ahora no me conoces.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 30 2016 2:47:47

Piwin

RE: Contratiempo exercise (in reply to Dudnote

Teenagers with a double bass drum are going to get crazy on this one

"Anything you do can be fixed. What you cannot fix is the perfection of a blank page. What you cannot fix is that pristine, unsullied whiteness of a screen or a page with nothing on it—because there’s nothing there to fix."
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 30 2016 3:30:35

rombsix

I don't get it. Make a quick tutorial video, please.

Ramzi

http://www.youtube.com/rombsix
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 30 2016 3:39:15

Dudnote

RE: Contratiempo exercise (in reply to rombsix

quote:

ORIGINAL: rombsix
I don't get it. Make a quick tutorial video, please.

And you thought my seguirias was shaky! You not seen nothin yet

tú ahora no me conoces.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 30 2016 3:46:10

rombsix

quote:

And you thought my seguirias was shaky! You not seen nothin yet

Ramzi

http://www.youtube.com/rombsix
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 30 2016 4:02:38

JasonM

Isn't this just 16th notes, If the foot taps in 1/8ths then you are clapping the "y" and the "a"
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 30 2016 16:11:40

Dudnote

RE: Contratiempo exercise (in reply to JasonM

quote:

ORIGINAL: JasonM
Isn't this just 16th notes, If the foot taps in 1/8ths then you are clapping the "y" and the "a"

Exactly. Or 8th notes if you consider the meterone is doing 1/2 notes and not 1/4 notes. Yeah, nothing revolutionary here - if you cut out the feet it's just straight forward contratiempo as on Nino Miguel's bulerias. Every musician on the foro, pro or amateur, should be able to do that. But I was kind of horfified to find I couldn't. It's got better with a bit of practice today. At 70bpm I can keep things together for short stints now.

Anyone else here found it taxing?

tú ahora no me conoces.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 30 2016 21:08:53

Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dudnote

quote:

ORIGINAL: JasonM

Exactly. Or 8th notes if you consider the meterone is doing 1/2 notes and not 1/4 notes. Yeah, nothing revolutionary here - if you cut out the feet it's just straight forward contratiempo as on Nino Miguel's bulerias. Every musician on the foro, pro or amateur, should be able to do that. But I was kind of horfified to find I couldn't. It's got better with a bit of practice today. At 70bpm I can keep things together for short stints now.

Anyone else here found it taxing?

Metronome is quarter note, feet 8th notes, and the palmas are the "e" and the "ah" off beat 16ths as mentioned. I feel the feet alternations are not so important for guitar players so much as just getting the claps even relative to the quarter note (left foot only) But drummers yes must be able to do this basic exercise. As far as my speed with this exercise, just with left foot, I can do this almost as fast as my top speed picado. I can go faster if I have have the reference of the second palmero doing the 8th note with it, assuming the other palmero is fast enough. Funny thing is, while the feeling of it is not easy for everybody, the actually speed of off beats is the exact same as the ON BEAT speed. In other words, you can easily prove to someone how fast they CAN go if you have them simply keep a fast beat. But KEEPING A BEAT is the true challenge in general.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 30 2016 21:39:35

RobJe

If you are not a natural foot tapper - tapping toes pivoting on the heel or tapping heel pivoting on the toes - try flat footed stamping (while sitting down). For me it makes the timing more reliable.

Rob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 1 2017 12:33:43

Moloko

Well, i don't know if i understood it correctly, but if it is what Ricardo explained, its quite easy doing in 100 bpm. Here in Brasil we a have a crazy rhythm manual called "José Eduardo Gramani - Rítmica", you can download it on internet. In this book there is exercises like doing 5/4 while doing 4/4, doing 3/8 while doing 2/4 and so on... If you read spanish, it should be easy to read portuguese. Back in my musical perception classes on university, we used to read it and play it, it was fun and it helped me to get a pretty solid foundation in rhythm.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 6 2017 4:15:51
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post