Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Is Manuel Reyes Sr. overrated?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 2 3 [4] 5    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

estebanana

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Mar. 12 2017 3:06:54
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 12 2017 3:05:24

RobJe

RE: Is Manuel Reyes Sr. overrated? (in reply to Echi

The most important messages are (i) The original post which questioned the price of Reyes guitars is a trivial one in the grand scheme of things. (ii) You can get an excellent luthier made guitar at a reasonable price if you avoid the most fashionable. (iii) If you are just starting out, spend your time, energy and money on learning to play first or you will just end up as a collector!

It took me some years before I discovered that you could get a fabulous guitar from a relatively unknown maker for a modest amount of money.

I want to return briefly to Reyes. Dear old Manuel really wanted to spend his life perfecting the blanca – he managed to avoid making more than the occasional negra for the first 30 years of his working life. He was never a ruthless self-publicist. By the mid 70’s the familiar pattern and characteristic qualities were more or less there. It is well known that he got a lucky break meeting, and being championed by Pepe Martinez who introduced him to Barbero in the 1950s. Serendipity accounts for a lot of what happened thereafter – mainly time and place factors. However, Pepe Martinez was far more entrepreneurial than Reyes and saw in this young luthier an opportunity to make a few pesetas for himself. He played frequent concerts (official and unofficial) abroad, visiting the UK frequently. I was there! In the UK he gave lessons to aspiring flamenco guitarists, promoted the qualities of Reyes’ guitars and usually arrived with one or more to sell (pre-ordered), often playing his concerts on one before handing it over to the person who had ordered it. It is not unusual to see Reyes guitars for sale in the UK described as “ex Pepe Martinez”.

Rob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 12 2017 10:14:08

Tom Blackshear

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Mar. 21 2017 17:41:27
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 12 2017 11:47:53

Tom Blackshear

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Mar. 21 2017 17:42:07
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 12 2017 12:21:44

Leñador

RE: Is Manuel Reyes Sr. overrated? (in reply to estebanana

quote:

This is true but the main investment potential stays pretty much the same unless the guitar builder raises his prices.

I suppose that's the difference between players and collectors. A hundred things go through my mind when dropping thousands on a new guitar but resale value is not one of them.

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 12 2017 13:00:40

Anders Eliasson

quote:

quote:

I've said this before, if I put my prices down around 6 to 7000, I would not be able to fill all the orders, so what does this prove? The age old problem with some players is that the great makers seem to raise their prices before the economy of the poor can catch up, and then the poor complain that they can't afford it so they trade among the lower cost builders from guitar to guitar........

......instead of saving their money and trading up to a style that they would enjoy playing. For example: Antonio Marin is a good maker but honestly, I build a stronger guitar, not because I'm a better builder, but due to the fact that I use a stronger plan.

The poor? You mean like a Republican politician who recently said the poor should not spend money on an iPhone and expect health care? If I had a lifetime list of people who want to buy a guitar for $4000.00 I would take it and not complain.

This kind of talk about pricing is vulgar.

Ay ay, I totally agree, I could use a 4000,-$ lifelong list as well, or whatever list for that matter :-).

I also agree in that this pricing talk is vulgar and I believe that both you Stephen and TomB shoud be above all this and stay away from this kind of babble where the ooohhhh so wise guys put prices on other peoples hard work. Just let them do that in peace. They only show how respectles and vulgar they are.

Prices are only numbers and as such, totally uninteresting. This Luthier thing is the wild west. Get what you can get and step on whoever in order to survive. All the romantic blah-blah that some, especially non-builders like to write on forums like this one is nothing but emptiness.

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 12 2017 13:05:35

Tom Blackshear

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Mar. 21 2017 17:42:43
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 12 2017 13:45:16

estebanana

RE: Is Manuel Reyes Sr. overrated? (in reply to Anders Eliasson

quote:

Ay ay, I totally agree, I could use a 4000,-$ lifelong list as well, or whatever list for that matter :-).

When I secure the lifelong list at $_____.__ I'll share it with you. Sorry to disturb your hibernation my lord. It will not happen again I assure you.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 12 2017 13:54:09

constructordeguitarras

For the record and at the risk of being vulgar, my best blancas are priced at $4000 and I too would be happy to spend all my working time building them. It is a price at which I could make a very good living, without taking any shortcuts in the construction of the instruments.

Ethan Deutsch
www.edluthier.com
www.facebook.com/ethandeutschguitars
www.youtube.com/marioamayaflamenco
I always have flamenco guitars available for sale.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 12 2017 13:58:13

estebanana

$ 4 grand is such a vulgar number, I'd be happy to have a steady vulgar income.

This reminds me of Earl Shieb the car painter, I'll paint any car for 39.95! Or my name ain't Earl Shieb.

Or Cal Worthington -Who was a great car salesman, and also a B-17 pilot who flew 29 missions.

I just need a lion, a big lion and guitar players will queue up, checkbooks in hand.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 12 2017 14:13:56

Echi

quote:

The original post which questioned the price of Reyes guitars is a trivial one in the grand scheme of things

Not really.
The original question was about the qualities a good Reyes guitar has or should have in order to be worth 14000 Euro.
The quality of a question is determined by the quality of the answers.
I don't see the point to discuss here how much Tom Blackshear prices his guitars.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 12 2017 14:29:07

constructordeguitarras

quote:

I just need a lion, a big lion and guitar players will queue up, checkbooks in hand.

I think it was the free dinners that did it for him. I'll have to consider that.

Ethan Deutsch
www.edluthier.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 12 2017 15:29:32

Ricardo

RE: Is Manuel Reyes Sr. overrated? (in reply to Echi

I once compared a $99 yamaha with my Dad's Hauser II. My dads guitar was certainly a little bit better. That little tiny bit had to justify $30,000 price difference. So it goes for all guitars to certain degrees. Availability is the main issue. So we ask ourselves, does a Reyes = trade for two condes? Or a Conde + a Ramirez? Would I trade my dad's guitar for 300 yamahas?

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 12 2017 15:59:56

Tom Blackshear

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Mar. 21 2017 17:43:24
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 12 2017 17:19:05

Tom Blackshear

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Mar. 21 2017 17:43:45
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 12 2017 17:23:58

Richard Jernigan

RE: Is Manuel Reyes Sr. overrated? (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricardo

I once compared a $99 yamaha with my Dad's Hauser II. My dads guitar was certainly a little bit better. That little tiny bit had to justify $30,000 price difference. So it goes for all guitars to certain degrees. Availability is the main issue. So we ask ourselves, does a Reyes = trade for two condes? Or a Conde + a Ramirez? Would I trade my dad's guitar for 300 yamahas?

I'm pretty sure you like your Conde better than my Arcangel. My preference is the opposite. I'm certainly happy with what I paid for my guitar, but I doubt you would even look at it for half the price.

I don't think arithmetic is anywhere near the whole story.

....and I'm a big fan of arithmetic.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 12 2017 20:51:59

estebanana

Some things in business are irrational, we take them as market realities, but really they are irrational. Cost has some determining factors, but components of the equation are irrational. A lot of crazy talk could be avoided if that were universally acknowledged. For example brand loyalty to an extent is about uniformity of product, or style as it effects performance.

Another aspect of brand loyalty is peer acceptance and family piety to certain brands. Mom used this kind of bath soap and I know this brand therefore I'm buying it too. My mom uses Dove bar soap, but I switched to liking a less creamy white bar soap, then I veered into Dr. Bronners in my 20's, then I became hopelessly lost on bar soap and liquid soaps became my main everyday soap. When traveling I began the odious habit of collecting hotel mini soaps, I once had a shaving kit full of business card sized hotel soaps from China. Some of them were from a hotel I stayed at in Ningbo, near Shanghai, called Public House Hotel. The bar soap packages were slightly off, they read Big Pudlick House, I thought it was funny, the label. I stashed half a dozen in my shaving kit bag to give as gifts. Humor is also irrational.

Eventually I brought them back to Oakland and left them in my shaving kit. I gave a few away as gifts to some guffawing over the spelling error. And forgot about the soaps. Eventually, I began to run my bank account low because I had become disenchanted with the idea of a career path that involved doing architecture and started hanging out at the Albatross flamenco night and drinking Guiness and Harp half and halfs. The Dr. Bronners bottle ran dry one afternoon in the shower, when shopping the next day I had to make a choice between a new bottle of premium liquid soap and peanut butter and bread or peanut butter and jelly and bread and save the Dr. Bronners money for drinking at the Albatross. The thing that clinched taking the decision was remembering the Big Pudlick house mini soaps in the shaving kit.

All was good, until I actually got into the shower and was about to break through the paper wrapper when I was seized by nostalgia for Ningbo and the little island of Puto Shan next to Ningbo where I went on a Buddhist pilgrimage for a day walking on a path between temples that were built in the 6th century and having a saffron yellow pilgrimage bag stamped with a large block with a commemorative red ink seal of each temple in the complex. I could not remember where I put the bag, but I had the Big Pudlick House soaps to remind me of the pilgrimage and the slow train ride to Ningbo when I bought dumplings from a girl walking down the aisle with a basket full of hot dumpling.

Flamenco is evil sh*t as it drives one to buy guitars and use up sentimentally valuable items like motel soaps with labels that would delight Dr. Freud.

This is truly how the market works.

And one correction, Picasso, not Rembrandt set the auction price for the highest price ever paid for a work of art. Rembrandt is not even in the upper tier, Jasper Johns paintings have sold for more money than some Rembrandt's, and Titian also beats Old Rumblossom the Dutchman on some auction blocks. And don't pronounce Titian as Tit - ee - ann. That is vulgar.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 13 2017 1:19:41

estebanana

That is some damn fine writing if I say so myself. I think my posts are worth $1.00 per paragraph to all readers.

I have a PayPal account, and I take direct bank deposits, and bank checks. You can use your credit card via PayPal. I will barter my words and counsel for dental work, cello bows and vintage Hustler magazines in mint condition. I am looking for issues from 1975 specifically.

I also make guitars on the side.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 13 2017 4:22:53

Anders Eliasson

It is totally absurd to compare prices of dead artists and artisans.
Is Stradivarius overrated compared to Guarnerius del Gesu or Jacob Stainer?

we could start comparing other things
Do I, Stephen and most other builders earn to little compared to those working in my local supermarked or those in the bank? (yes) Is cheese overrated compared to butter? (sometimes) Is Cordoba guitars underrated? (no IMHO) Is Cordoba capital overrated compared to Huelva capital? (could be) Are bulerias an overrated palo (definately)

Yes, Stephen, its good writing. But its so long. (back to hibernation zzzzzzz)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 13 2017 10:10:00

Tom Blackshear

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Mar. 21 2017 17:44:21
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 13 2017 11:12:04

Leñador

quote:

According to good commerce and business habits, and the probability that I could sell the Hauser faster than the 300 Yamahas, it would be a bad trade

You could likely mark up each Yamaha $50, earning you $15,000 profit. Even if you sold the hauser immediately at a $7,500 profit and it took you ten years to sell the yamahas and you kept your $37,500 from the hauser sale in a VERY generous 1.5% interest you'd still be a couple thousand ahead on the Yamaha sale. Now.....storage of 300 yamahas, unless you've got a space that costs you $0 this is where the hauser sale would take the advantage....that and the work involved in each sale, marketing, shipping etc..... you'd have to charge closer to $200 a Yamaha for it to make sense.....
Rant over, killing time alone at a taberna in Sevilla.

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 13 2017 11:50:16

avimuno

RE: Is Manuel Reyes Sr. overrated? (in reply to Leñador

quote:

You could likely mark up each Yamaha $50, earning you $15,000 profit. Even if you sold the hauser immediately at a $7,500 profit and it took you ten years to sell the yamahas and you kept your $37,500 from the hauser sale in a VERY generous 1.5% interest you'd still be a couple thousand ahead on the Yamaha sale. Now.....storage of 300 yamahas, unless you've got a space that costs you $0 this is where the hauser sale would take the advantage....that and the work involved in each sale, marketing, shipping etc..... you'd have to charge closer to $200 a Yamaha for it to make sense.....
Rant over, killing time alone at a taberna is Sevilla.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 13 2017 11:53:57

avimuno

Seriously though, some of the questions being raised here through the logic of guitar valuation would require going back to Marx's Das Kapital where he analyses the question of the value of labor and it's translation into capital... which would itself require a serious confrontation with Ricardo's theory of labor... fascinating stuff really!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 13 2017 11:58:13

BarkellWH

RE: Is Manuel Reyes Sr. overrated? (in reply to avimuno

quote:

Seriously though, some of the questions being raised here through the logic of guitar valuation would require going back to Marx's Das Kapital where he analyses the question of the value of labor and it's translation into capital... which would itself require a serious confrontation with Ricardo's theory of labor... fascinating stuff really!

Marx's "Labor Theory of Value" was, and is, fatally flawed because he concludes that the value of a good or service is determined by the amount of labor required to produce it. He left demand entirely out of the picture. In fact, demand is far more a determinant of a good's or service's value than the amount of labor that went into its production. One can put in 100 hours of labor to produce something, but if there is no demand for it it has no value in the market, which is to say it has no value.

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 13 2017 13:15:48

constructordeguitarras

RE: Is Manuel Reyes Sr. overrated? (in reply to BarkellWH

Well stated, Bill.

Ethan Deutsch
www.edluthier.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 13 2017 13:32:49

estebanana

quote:

. One can put in 100 hours of labor to produce something, but if there is no demand for it it has no value in the market, which is to say it has no value.

Bill

If that is the case in business it's wasted labor. Then it becomes art. Art is something into which you put a lot of labor, but there is no demand. HAHAHA

---------------------------------

I would give the 300 Yamaha guitars away to middle schools that need music programs and talk Ricardo into teaching them for free one day a week.

That way in ten years he will have students and I will build their guitars.

That's called The Candyman business plan. Get them hooked in Jr. High and they beg you for product when they are 20.

While you land lubber geniuses were hashing out whether or not your navels are worth picking the lint out of for the last 48 hours, I made this:

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (2)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 13 2017 13:45:29

estebanana

quote:

Do I, Stephen and most other builders earn to little compared to those working in my local supermarked or those in the bank? (yes) Is cheese overrated compared to butter? (sometimes) Is Cordoba guitars underrated? (no IMHO) Is Cordoba capital overrated compared to Huelva capital? (could be) Are bulerias an overrated palo (definately)

I like: Is Pizza overrated compared to sushi? No, if all you have is a bucket fish, the pizza looks pretty damn good, and vice versa.

So Mr. Bear, what did you make or play this week while you hibernated and read about arty farty stuff? I rolled up my trousers so the BS would not get on my pants and then made a rosette. I'll make another rosette tomorrow and then write an especially long post here about cheeses.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 13 2017 13:58:40

Anders Eliasson

quote:

quote:

Marx's "Labor Theory of Value" was, and is, fatally flawed because he concludes that the value of a good or service is determined by the amount of labor required to produce it. He left demand entirely out of the picture. In fact, demand is far more a determinant of a good's or service's value than the amount of labor that went into its production. One can put in 100 hours of labor to produce something, but if there is no demand for it it has no value in the market, which is to say it has no value.

Bill

Your analisis of Marx is useless because you analyse from a liberalist point of view. Marx was never interested in demand but in need. Thats something completely different.

Stephen, thats a lovely goo-filled rosette. Nothing beats goo even though its highly underrated to paint with HHG

This weekend, I planted 2 trees and a bush, polished some layers of Shellack and watched ladies Biathlon on the telly while I farted because I had lentejas.
(gee, the guy likes ladies biathlon)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 13 2017 14:46:24

BarkellWH

quote:

Your analisis of Marx is useless because you analyse from a liberalist point of view. Marx was never interested in demand but in need. Thats something completely different.

If there is a need for something, there will be demand. There is a need for irrigation water in Arizona. If Arizona suffers from a drought, and less water is arriving via the Central Arizona Project and the Colorado River, the cost of the water to irrigate the fields will rise because the demand for it will increase as it becomes more scarce. It is the demand, coupled with the level of supply, that creates value and therefore the cost. Marx was good at describing the conditions of nineteenth century industrial Britain, but he was a very poor economist. And he certainly failed with his "Labor Theory of Value," which is now taught only by aging Marxist professors whose faculty tenure keeps them afloat while they await retirement.

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 13 2017 15:02:20

Leñador

quote:

I would give the 300 Yamaha guitars away to middle schools that need music programs and talk Ricardo into teaching them for free one day a week.

Brilliant!! Now that's good long term business.

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 13 2017 15:02:47
Page:   <<   <   1 2 3 [4] 5    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 2 3 [4] 5    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote