Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Divisive ignorance   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1] 2 3 4    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

FredGuitarraOle

Divisive ignorance 

Almost 7 AM over here, stayed up all night and it looks pretty clear now. I'm going to bed with a very grim feeling, always believed common sense would prevail...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 9 2016 5:59:04

Piwin

RE: Divisive ignorance (in reply to FredGuitarraOle

Nah, common sense is lying in a ditch somewhere on the side of the road, crying. But we threw it out of the car a long time ago, not just last night.

"Anything you do can be fixed. What you cannot fix is the perfection of a blank page. What you cannot fix is that pristine, unsullied whiteness of a screen or a page with nothing on it—because there’s nothing there to fix."
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 9 2016 7:27:02

estebanana

Nate Silver is out of a job.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 9 2016 7:52:51

Piwin

RE: Divisive ignorance (in reply to estebanana

There's always baseball. He got the Cubs right. So there's that.

On the bright side we know there's going to be a lot of construction work on the southern border so our foro friends who work in construction are in for a good business year.

"Anything you do can be fixed. What you cannot fix is the perfection of a blank page. What you cannot fix is that pristine, unsullied whiteness of a screen or a page with nothing on it—because there’s nothing there to fix."
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 9 2016 7:59:24

ToddK

potus is just a figure head. They wont let him do anything of great note.

I'm more worried about my lawnmower being left out in the rain last nite.

This country has been run by idiot criminals from the get go.

Adding one more is'nt going to change anything. It'll be business as usual.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 9 2016 9:05:17

Piwin

RE: Divisive ignorance (in reply to ToddK

And this is probably to some extent why he won. I see it as a false equivalency, as if they were all the same, no one better or worse than the next. There is a sense in which it's most likely true to say that power corrupts, but as long as people consider everyone in politics as criminals, as long as they imagine bankers in a dark room secretly plotting the demise of the working class for their own profit without any sense of morality, they'll fail to see where the actual problems lie, to see that if you replaced all of them by regular citizens, gave them the same money and influence, you'd have the same proportion of well-intended people, ill-intended people and people who just didn't care. The issues are systemic and complex, not just an easy good/evil them/us. Some are jaded because they know too much. Most claim to be jaded because it is the easiest route and doesn't require even bothering to look into things.
In the meantime, it is an odd thing that those of abroad just might have more reason for concern than those in the US, as indeed the checks and balances are much stronger in domestic policy than they are for foreign policy.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 9 2016 9:25:07

Leñador

It seems scarier than usual as he faces no opposition in the house or the senate. I feel like I can hear the rest of the world laughing at us. So embarrassing, looks like the fall of Rome will be a reality show.....

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 9 2016 9:30:17

estebanana

I'm quite a bit worried. The GW Bush presidency set a precedent for executive powers that Obama carried on. And the power of the fillibuster that has become a common act in congressional procedure- The deck is one sided now and anything can be dismantled and any act of aggression can be ratified.

It may be that a president has checks and balance on power, and we have had people come and go in the office who have questionable pasts. But here we have a total unknown, a person with no political track record. The volatile nature of this situation is gong to cause some instability in the US and abroad. Some instability we don't really need globally. And if the president is an ineffectual figure head, which the office is not, what pulls the strings is much, much worse.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 9 2016 10:49:46

Blondie#2

Truly appalling.

For us in the UK this is just about the worst end to an already politically disastrous year, Fred's title to this thread sums up our Brexit vote also. The two situations unfortunately have much in common, very worrying.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 9 2016 11:45:54

[Deleted] (in reply to FredGuitarraOle

[Deleted by Admins]

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 9 2016 13:18:18

Leñador

Same demographics as the Brexit too I believe.

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 9 2016 13:21:52

Goldwinghai

The majority of the Americans thought the country is on the wrong track. Why continue? The answer is there.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 9 2016 13:44:42

estebanana

I'm thinking about an becoming an alcoholic. I thought until last June I hate Mitt Romney. Then it hit me, oh compared to Trump he is a reasonable guy, more or less. I agree Trump is child or a boy, he is at this point oblivious to reality in terms of that which you cannot manipulate. His adult life has been defined by how he can manipulate the media.

The problem is, will politics become the realm of the master of popular media? Or see this as an anomaly and stay a wonkish nerd game? Journalism has already modeled an out of control nonprofessional elite of powerful editors and propagandists- will politics in this most wonky form follow the Trump model of manipulation and extreme spin, or will it go back to being self referential and nerdy?

It's not simply a question of what Trump will do himself, but how has he changed the way officials get elected.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 9 2016 13:56:48

Piwin

And you know it's bad when the Mormons start looking like the less unreasonable voters...
On the bright side, this does mean that, at the exception of those clad in magic underpants and a few others, the so-called religious "value voters" no longer get a pass. Now that they've voted en masse for the most ungodly man we've seen in the political arena for quite a while, they no longer have the right to say they're voting for someone who represents their values. Or alternately, they have to agree to replace John 3:16 by "WWJD? Grab'em by the pussy." I'd settle for that.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 9 2016 14:18:16

estebanana

The Southern Baptist Convention and most Catholic organizations did not endorse Mr. Orange Hair- he is not a Christian phenomena really in the sense that Christians were used in the early 1980's by conservatives. He is a white secular phenomena, and a few may also go to a bit of church.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 9 2016 15:02:18

mark indigo

Trumpocracy.....? Trumpocalypse....?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 9 2016 15:12:25

Piwin

No I wasn't talking about endorsements (which wouldn't lend itself to any type of comparison since the Mormon Church isn't known to endorse political candidates of any kind). I was referring to individual voters. According to exit polls, the percentage of US evangelicals who voted for Trump was higher than the percentage who voted for any Republican since Bush in 2000, around 80-85%. And yes, I understand the irony of citing a poll today...
Nor am I saying that Trump is in any way a religious phenomenon. Merely that this vote points to something in that particular segment of voters. "Their" narrative so far has been that they vote for "values". This election suggests otherwise as the candidate they voted for represents the exact opposite of what they claim to stand for so hopefully from now on we'll expect some clarification on this narrative. But this is really a detail in the larger scheme of things, just one that is of particular interest to me.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 9 2016 15:26:32

BarkellWH

The pundits will earn their pay over the next few days attempting to explain Trump's victory and why it was such a shock. As someone who will remain unpaid, I would like to offer my thoughts herewith. There are several reasons for the election results, not the least of which is the baggage Hillary carried with her. But I think one of the main reason's for Trump's victory and Hillary's defeat is the rebellion of the white working class. It had a much larger effect on the election than anyone imagined.

I come from a WASP background. (Yes, we WASPs existed in Arizona. All are not produced on the East Coast!) Nevertheless, although not a member of the white working class, I have noted that for a long time the intellectual and cultural elites in the United States have looked down upon the white working class, trashing their culture, values, and beliefs.

There is much more behind the revolt of the white working class than just “Neoliberalism” or the fact that the Democratic Party is not sufficiently Leftist. Looming large was a cultural component that liberals, intellectuals, cultural elites, and others on the Left are loathe to acknowledge.

Liberals, intellectuals, cultural elites, and those on the Left have very often exhibited a smug attitude toward the white working class, sneeringly referring to them as “clinging to their guns and religion,” as Obama did, or as a “basket of deplorables,” as Hillary Clinton did. One does not have to agree with white working class attitudes and beliefs to at least debate them in a civilized manner without shutting them down as ignorant and deplorable.

What we are witnessing is, in part, the rebellion of a class of people in America who are tired of being put down by a smug segment of American society who makes no bones about the fact that they think they are superior, and that the cultural mores and beliefs of the majority of the white working class are unworthy. I think members of the white working class are tired of this smug attitude that writes them off instead of trying to understand their concerns.

We saw the same thing when much of the white working class voted for Ronald Reagan in 1980. They were called “Reagan Democrats” then, and they bolted the Democratic Party for many of the same reasons, cultural and otherwise, that they bolted today. The smug, sneering attitude of the intellectual and cultural elites in America toward the white working class is now reaping what it has sown. One hopes we learn from it.

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 9 2016 16:19:28

Paul Magnussen

RE: Divisive ignorance (in reply to BarkellWH

quote:

What we are witnessing is, in part, the rebellion of a class of people in America who are tired of being put down by a smug segment of American society who makes no bones about the fact that they think they are superior

I’ve been keeping an opus in the car by Thomas Sowell, against the times that I find I need a book to read and have gone out without one. It’s called The Vision of the Anointed, the latter being politicians who think they know better than the electorate what is good for them, and what they should want.

While I certainly don’t agree with everything he says, he makes some very telling points, and backs them up with factual examples. It’s an interesting read.

(Of course, the counter-argument is that sometimes the electorate are too stupid to know what’s good for them; I’m sure everyone can provide their own examples.)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 9 2016 17:04:52

Piwin

RE: Divisive ignorance (in reply to BarkellWH

Not that I don't think there's anything to that narrative, but I'd suggest it doesn't give the full picture. That there is such a perception among the white working class is undeniable. That some of the elite are smug is equally undeniable. However, I would add misinformation, or at the very least "selective information" to the mix. IMHO, part of the problem is precisely that what got the attention of those who convey the information to the rest of us are the easy jibes and sneers, that quite possibly may have been understandable in a given context, and not what is actually being done or proposed by said elite. To take just one example, it's mind-boggling how the little that Obama proposed on gun regulation was turned into "Obama's coming after our guns"I've had my share of discussions with friends that belong to the white working class on hot topics like gun control, gay mariage, the separation of Church and State, etc. What I've personally found is that we often didn't share the same baseline of facts. Once that baseline is established, conversation becomes much easier but getting to that baseline is no mean feat.. In any linguistic situation, there are (at least) three components: the emiter, the receiver and the medium. Which is responsible for the breakdown in communication is unclear to me, though my suspicion is that it has a lot more to do with the medium than with anything else.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 9 2016 17:15:48

Mark2

There is also the issue of taxes. Obama increased taxes on high earners to pay for Obama care. Hilary planned to increase taxes on people who earn over 250k. Many people during the campaign expressed that only uneducated poor white folks were going to support Trump, but I have two friends who do very well financially who expressed support for Trump. Another friend who is highly educated did the same. I'm pretty sure the constant drumbeat in the media vilifying Trump supporters was offensive to them.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 9 2016 17:43:35

estebanana

Hold the phone while I vomit.

I'm from the white working class and I have actually worked. I have gone to college, and I have done a range of jobs from dish washing to carpentry to support myself through college and to keep my workshop going. I've lived in Indiana, Texas, Wash D.C. and California. it's been my personal experience that many of the people from the Midwest are not this nice wholesome people.

I've heard more unnecessary xenophobia from the times I've lived in Texas and Indiana, more intolerance, and intolerance from white working class folks than I have from anyone anywhere else I have lived. Snobbery from intellectuals, elitism? How about WWC folks are just dumb and bigoted. My uncles were, and the few alive are horrid racists, and my grandmother called black people niggers openly, she hated civil rights. White supremacist groups flocked to Trump.

I'm disgusted with the white working class, a bunch of fat ignorant racist ****s who never educated themselves, and have the hubris and lack humility in the face of those of us who paid to go to college- and taunt college educated people with epithets and harassment "Hey boy you think you know sumthin' college boy?" yes as a matter of fact I do because I cracked a few books.

Now they have installed a buffoon as the leader of a great country which serves as a bellwether for science, education , economy, trade markets and rule of law. He has flouted some of our greatest traditions of elected officials and harnessed the power of ignorance. The white working class should be ashamed of themselves.

Willful ignorance is not a cause, is not a movement worthy of our democracy. I'm pretty dammed angry that I pushed myself to get an education only to have it overridden by misogynist and racist idiots. What an embarrassment to those who have striven through education to make the United States a great country.

I suppose if someone from the White Working class becomes sick with cancer or a neurological condition that requires surgery that we the educated "snob class" should not operate on them because we are elitists? If a corporation is taking advantage of a group of people and an educated lawyer saves their asses by prosecuting a difficult class action suit on their behalf, that is snobbery? If an engineer creates a protocol to run cell phones, or make sure a bridge is strong enough to hold up under the weight or traffic that is more snobbery? Have dirt roads.

The reason the white working class has a level of life quality. physical infrastructure and legal protections better than that of many other other people around the world is because someone paid to become educated ; and in return we get shat upon by the ignorant for trying to make society stronger. and safer We get called elitist by a false narrative that was created by a manipulative conservative media. The white working class is welcome to live without doctors or lawyers- the intellectual can hike his or her sleeves and run the farm just fine.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 9 2016 18:52:02

Mark2

First, I didn't vote for Trump but I kinda have a habit of playing devil's advocate. Second, why are you so convinced that no doctors, lawyers, or Indian chiefs did? They obviously did. Third, you are really angry about the fact that you educated yourself? Where is the empathy for those who couldn't find their way to a college education? Is a lawyer more valuable to the country than a construction worker? I know you are upset with the result but I told my daughter months ago that life will go on without much change. And Obama just said the same thing. If he can accept the destruction of parts of his legacy, I think flamenco aficionados can live through trump.
quote:

ORIGINAL: estebanana

Hold the phone while I vomit.

I'm from the white working class and I have actually worked. I have gone to college, and I have done a range of jobs from dish washing to carpentry to support myself through college and to keep my workshop going. I've lived in Indiana, Texas, Wash D.C. and California. it's been my personal experience that many of the people from the Midwest are not this nice wholesome people.

I've heard more unnecessary xenophobia from the times I've lived in Texas and Indiana, more intolerance, and intolerance from white working class folks than I have from anyone anywhere else I have lived. Snobbery from intellectuals, elitism? How about WWC folks are just dumb and bigoted. My uncles were, and the few alive are horrid racists, and my grandmother called black people niggers openly, she hated civil rights. White supremacist groups flocked to Trump.

I'm disgusted with the white working class, a bunch of fat ignorant racist ****s who never educated themselves, and have the hubris and lack humility in the face of those of us who paid to go to college- and taunt college educated people with epithets and harassment "Hey boy you think you know sumthin' college boy?" yes as a matter of fact I do because I cracked a few books.

Now they have installed a buffoon as the leader of a great country which serves as a bellwether for science, education , economy, trade markets and rule of law. He has flouted some of our greatest traditions of elected officials and harnessed the power of ignorance. The white working class should be ashamed of themselves.

Willful ignorance is not a cause, is not a movement worthy of our democracy. I'm pretty dammed angry that I pushed myself to get an education only to have it overridden by misogynist and racist idiots. What an embarrassment to those who have striven through education to make the United States a great country.

I suppose if someone from the White Working class becomes sick with cancer or a neurological condition that requires surgery that we the educated "snob class" should not operate on them because we are elitists? If a corporation is taking advantage of a group of people and educated lawyer saves their asses by prosecuting a difficult class action suit on their behalf, that is snobbery? If an engineer creates a protocol to run cell phone or make sure a bridge is string enough to hold up under the weight or traffic that is more snobbery? Have dirt roads.

The reason the white working class has a level of life quality and protections better than that of many other other people around the world is because someone paid to become educated and in return we get shat upon by the ignorant. We get called elitist by a false narrative that was created by a manipulative conservative media. The white working class is welcome to live without doctors or lawyers- the intellectual can hike his or her sleeves and run the farm just fine.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 9 2016 19:25:12

estebanana

I came from a very poor family and I found my way. In grade school I had clothing that had holes in them in when I was in elementary school I put cardboard in my shoes. I've gone to school without breakfast and no lunch bag.

I don't have to justify this for you.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 9 2016 19:27:25

Piwin

RE: Divisive ignorance (in reply to Mark2

quote:

life will go on without much change

Yep. That's the illusion everyone's under. It may not be Trump, it may not be the next guy or the guy after him or whatever. But we're still very much part of history and things do change, sometimes dramatically and in a very short time span. I hope you're right that it won't change anything but I see no reason to believe it won't. And of course Obama is trying to ensure a smooth transition. Even if he did believe Trump's mandate was going to be a disaster, what else would he do? It's not in his hands to do anything except try to keep the bits and pièces together for as long as he's still around.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 9 2016 19:46:54

Mark2

RE: Divisive ignorance (in reply to Piwin

It may or not be an illusion. I'm as uneasy as anyone but I got up and went to work today, just like every other day. Trump won't be calling to offer me a cushy job in his administration so I don't have much choice.
My college aged daughter called to express her dismay and we talked for about 45 minutes. I advised her to keep moving forward with her education. Kid said she was going surfing.......

quote:

ORIGINAL: Piwin

quote:

life will go on without much change

Yep. That's the illusion everyone's under. It may not be Trump, it may not be the next guy or the guy after him or whatever. But we're still very much part of history and things do change, sometimes dramatically and in a very short time span. I hope you're right that it won't change anything but I see no reason to believe it won't. And of course Obama is trying to ensure a smooth transition. Even if he did believe Trump's mandate was going to be a disaster, what else would he do? It's not in his hands to do anything except try to keep the bits and pièces together for as long as he's still around.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 9 2016 20:11:59

BarkellWH

RE: Divisive ignorance (in reply to Piwin

quote:

things do change, sometimes dramatically and in a very short time span.

Among other concerns, I fear that Trump's ignorance and recklessness will upend the international order that has more or less existed since the end of World War II. The United States has always been in the lead on international trade. Although NAFTA has resulted in job losses in the U.S., the net gains have been greater than the losses. And export-related jobs generally pay more than those targeted domestically. If he pulls the rug out from NAFTA, it will be our (and Mexico's and Canada's) loss. Likewise with other trade agreements he has targeted. Of course, Bernie Sanders on the Left (and Hillary Clinton pandering to the Left), as well as Trump, are all against the Trans-Pacific Partnership, a trade agreement that would bind us to 11 other Pacific countries. Populists of both the Left and the Right misrepresent the effect of these trade agreements in an attempt to pander to unions and their ill-informed constituencies.

Likewise, I worry that Trump's (superficially) cozy relationship with Vladimir Putin will result in Putin pulling the wool over his eyes, to the detriment of the U.S. national interest. It's bad enough watching Secretary of State Kerry almost genuflecting to Russian Foreign Minister Lavrov over attempts to reach an agreement on Syria. I fear that Trump will have a false sense of confidence in his ability to come to terms with Putin. What Trump will be dealing with will be a Russian leader whose career as a KGB Lt. Col. has steeped him in intelligence tradecraft and deception. Trump will not know he's been taken until it is too late.

While the checks and balances inherent in the U.S. system work pretty well in domestic policy, they are less effective in foreign policy, as the Constitution grants the President wide latitude in dealing internationally. Trump's threat to pull the rug out from underneath our NATO responsibilities is another concern. NATO is a treaty, so the Senate would have to get involved, and one hopes cooler heads would prevail.

This whole mess remains to be sorted out, but it confirms in me my view that populists (of the Left and the Right) are never in the U.S. national interest.

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 9 2016 20:33:17

Piwin

RE: Divisive ignorance (in reply to Mark2

I hear you. As far as illusions are concerned, I had something more general in mind. Only time will tell what will happen with Trump. But in general I find many people seem to believe that we are somehow immune to the dramatic events that we read about in the news elsewhere in the world or in our history books. And I just don't see any reason to believe we are immune from that. I guessed we're wired that way, to think that nothing will happen until something does. But even if all hell broke lose, I think it'd still be a good idea to go surfing.

@BarkellWH There is also the risk of a sort of domino effect of populisms that isn't dependent on Trump per se but on the mere fact that he got elected. The first person to publicly congratulate him on his election in France was the leader of the extreme-right party, Marine Le Pen. It's given populists and autocrats renewed impetus in their "us vs. a corrup system" narrative. Though perhaps, just perhaps, Trump being elected might also be a wake-up call for voters in other countries who are dealing with similar forms of populism.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 9 2016 20:35:18

estebanana

This comes from a dear friend who prefers that her posts not be shared, but copying/pasting is okay and her words touched me. If you feel 'safe' because of where you live, the money you have-

"...what you're REALLY saying is "I'll be fine" because the color of your skin or your religion or your sexual preference or gender identity dictates you will be, and you may need to check that privilege right quick because the time has come for you to do so."
"I don't much pontificate online (anymore), but let me step up on my soapbox for a moment because I'm seeing some dangerous comments and rhetoric from individuals who believe we're all "safe" or "we'll be just fine" because we live in California. You feel safe out in those streets in that skin, don't you? Untouchable even?

I don't, and I didn't the day a truck full of men drove up to me in a parking lot and called me "Aunt Jemima" a few years ago. And, neither did the woman in the hijab standing next to me at the bus stop one day when a drunk man and his friend walked up to us in the middle of the day. We both looked at one another, wondering which of us would be his target for bigotry... because we knew he had a problem with one of us, or both of us, for just daring to stand on a street in San Francisco as people of color. And, what could I do when he drunkenly reached out and tried to pull her hijab off her head when his equally big ass, drunk and belligerent dude friend was standing not five feet from me? Nothing, except stand there in shock and pray he didn't reach for me next.
So, it's nice you feel safe because you live in California. It's great you feel you can walk up and down your streets in relative safety because you live in California. The privilege to feel that way must be nice. And, your ability and audacity to actually type such a thing (when a gaggle of you have people of color connected to you via Facebook) shows me exactly why the 45th President of the United States is who he is and why we haven't learned a damned thing in this country and have taken a step back 60 years in one night.
So, you go on and feel safe. You go on and skip down the streets thinking "we'll all be fine" because we live on the West Coast. Your sisters and brothers of color don't and won't. The fact a number of you on my list don't seem to understand that is not only troublesome, but disheartening and dangerous.
If you're one of those people thinking and saying "We'll be fine," what you're REALLY saying is "I'll be fine" because the color of your skin or your religion or your sexual preference or gender identity dictates you will be, and you may need to check that privilege right quick because the time has come for you to do so.

We are here. This is happening. It is time. Get with the program. Get in a room and have a real conversation with some of your more marginalized peers, friends and acquaintances and learn why we, indeed, won't be fine at all.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 9 2016 20:39:18

estebanana

Trump being elected will force Japan's hand to alter its constitution to assure it can protect itself without the help of the US in the case Trump manages to alter our relationship with Japan. This makes China edgy and now has put even more pressure on the difficult relationships between Asian countries. Japan is very uneasy and not looking forward to Trump and the uncertainty he will bring to bear. China and South Korea the same, shaken. Not at the power, but at the stupidity.

You guys think this is a game? That things will remain the same? Trump just made my part of the world a hell of a lot more dangerous. Americans are insulated from real threats they don't really understand them. Yet a change in US policy effects smaller countries n profound ways, while the American snooze away and feel safe on the big moat surrounded island of the Midwest.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 9 2016 20:55:58
Page:   [1] 2 3 4    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1] 2 3 4    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote