Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Happy Mole Day!   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Kiko_Roca

Happy Mole Day! 

Avagadros Number is a mole of something. A "Mole" is also a little animal that digs. And Miners dig. So here is Camarón and Tomatito with mineras:

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 23 2016 18:49:48

Leñador

RE: Happy Mole Day! (in reply to Kiko_Roca

I thought you meant this stuff.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 23 2016 19:12:37

Escribano

RE: Happy Mole Day! (in reply to Leñador

Yum, I love mole.

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 23 2016 21:29:47

Richard Jernigan

Mole poblano is one of the things in Mexico I really miss a lot.

Fonda San Miguel is an excellent Mexican restaurant here in Austin. The mole poblano has been excellent at times, other times just OK. A good mole poblano serves up a long slow curve followed by a fast break. The first two or three bites, you think, "This is pretty good, but not spicy enough." The last few bites you have a little sweat on your forehead and you're thinking, "Wow, this is great, I hope I can finish it before it completely sets my mouth on fire."

I haven't eaten at Manuel's here in years. I hear they still serve chicken enchiladas with mole poblano. But I never thought they were that great.

El Meson serves a mole rojo with chopped chicken that's reliably tasty, but mole poblano it ain't.

I still remember sitting in a restaurant in 2000 on the smaller of the two town squares in Cuernavaca, across from the theater where the International Guitar Festival was going on. At the next table were some well known classical guitar people, and we got to talking. But what I really remember is being served two large steaming turkey breasts bathed in a really excellent mole poblano.

Yes, and on the same trip, the turkey breasts with mole poblano at Cafe Tacuba in Mexico City....aaahhh!

Driving from L.A. back home to Santa Barbara I used to stop at the Familia Diaz Restaurant in Santa Paula for some of the best ever bistec ranchero, but I'm pretty sure there was no mole poblano on the menu, or I would remember having tried it.

There used to be, maybe still is, a store on the southwest corner of Avenida Guerrero and Mosqueta in Mexico City. In front there were a lot of herbs and spices. A little further back there where quite a few herbs and things used by curanderas, the white magic healing women. On the back wall there was an array of shelves forming a 10 by 20 array of spaces. Each space held jars containing the ingredients for a different kind of mole. Two-hundred kinds of mole, yellow, green, orange, brown, pipián, poblano....

We used to buy a half dozen jars each of pipián and poblano to take back to Texas.

Leñador, where can I find some good mole poblano next time I'm in the L.A. area?

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 23 2016 23:07:00

Leñador

RE: Happy Mole Day! (in reply to Kiko_Roca

quote:

Leñador, where can I find some good mole poblano next time I'm in the L.A. area?

Guelagetza for sure, and you can get a side of chapulines, Mezcal con Gusano and the best arroz con lèche. the Oaxacan places seem to really specialize in moles. After them I'd say "El Nopal" or "Monte Alban".
I prefer red mole myself.

Very funny you mention family Diaz, that's not right off the 101, you have to go out of your way a bit for that. I dated a girl from Santa Paula and we'd go there, I nearly stayed with her to have an excuse to go there haha TexMexy but tasty tasty stuff, lots of places off wagon wheel in Oxnard that'd be quicker if you're on that journey again.

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 23 2016 23:30:05

Kiko_Roca

quote:

ORIGINAL: Leñador

I thought you meant this stuff.

That works for me!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 24 2016 17:39:11

Richard Jernigan

....actually, when I went to meetings in Redondo Beach I would just drive up the Coast Highway to Oxnard, take 101 to Santa Barbara. There used to be a Mexican place I would stop at in Oxnard, but I don't remember the name of it.

I used to go to Norton Air Force Base at San Bernardino. Going back home I would take I-15 north, cut over to Palmdale through the Joshua trees, Cal 14 to i-5, jog north to the road through Santa Paula and the orange groves, come out on the coast at Ventura, then 101 to Santa Barbara.

Some times I had to take an armed plainclothes guard in the car with me due to papers and stuff I was carrying, and have a chase car tailing us.

One day I stopped off at the Harley dealer in San Bernardino to buy a battery for my bike. I still had on my suit and tie from the meeting at Norton. One of the chase car men came in with me. The man behind the parts counter had on his Hell's Angels colors, and started to give me a hard time. The Berdoo Angels had an even worse reputation than Oakland.

I told him, "I came in here to buy a battery, not to listen to your sh1t."

For a minute he looked like he was going to come over the counter. Then he studied my companion a little more closely: 6' 3", big shoulders, blond crewcut, cheap blue suit, white shirt and skinny black tie, shiny black shoes, an ear piece in one ear with a wire going down his neck, a bulge under his coat from the .45 in an X-back rig.

The parts guy brought me my battery and said no more.

We all stopped off in Santa Paula for some bistec ranchero.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 24 2016 20:41:33
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote