Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Life is easy   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Arash

Life is easy 

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 3 2016 20:00:58

Piwin

RE: Life is easy (in reply to Arash

It's a nice sentiment but it doesn't really hold ground as soon as you dig a little into it.

Let's put it this way. The architect's home will still be standing when the next earthquake hits. His won't. And if the roof collapsed on his wife, she'll be crying for a doctor, not for plant balms. Fortunately there are people who work hard and "make things complicated". We'd still have a life expectancy of 30-odd years if it weren't for them.
Also, I'd always heard that rice was one of the most labor and time intensive crops there is. His account of it, working 15 minutes a day for 2 months a year, doesn't make sense to me.

I do agree though that there is an insane amount of pressure put on people to "succeed" in life and the way success is defined is rather uniform. It takes some guts to walk away from that and define success in your own terms. And I'd assume there are some on this forum who have done this very thing, leaving what was probably a more lucrative path either to make or play a guitar. Alain de Botton gave a Ted talk on this pressure to succeed. He pointed out that the "American dream" was a double-edged sword. On the one hand, it gives incredible hope to people that they can "make it", and make it big. And indeed they can. On the other hand, it also implies that if you don't succeed, then it's all on you. In other words, if the poor aren't rich, it's their fault...Which is crazy, given the amount of chance that comes into play when considering whether a person will be rich or poor.
And I'd also be the kind that would enjoy the tranquil life in the countryside. But I'd be a fool to look down on the whole of society just because I'd rather live on its fringe. I will very much need them one day. If one day I need it, I really really don't want to have to rely on a doctor who trained only 15 minutes a day for 2 months a year.

"Anything you do can be fixed. What you cannot fix is the perfection of a blank page. What you cannot fix is that pristine, unsullied whiteness of a screen or a page with nothing on it—because there’s nothing there to fix."
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 4 2016 17:33:49
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post