Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Some aircraft drawings and paintings   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

estebanana

Some aircraft drawings and paintings 

I have a semi secret practice of drawing and painting. Creative artists work in lots of media and often at the same time.

The airplane paintings and drawings have been a bit scattered and random, but feeling my way through it. There are not illustrations, but paintings that change the look and meaning of the subject as they progress. Several times I have painted over fairly good drawings or paintings as part of the process, self editing and revisions are the death of unfinished works in music or visual art. Everything is unsure, in illustration a person aims to make a representational image, in painting the thing is to try to make a 'painting', which is a much broader and less defined problem. Sometimes when you make a painting you are not even sure of what you are searching for, or why it matters, it's just a mining operation. Eventually you hit a vein of some kind of valuable art ore and follow it.

These pictures are like test mines, not sure if the dirt has anything good in it yet.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (4)

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 24 2016 1:33:40

Piwin

RE: Some aircraft drawings and paintings (in reply to estebanana

You're incredibly talented estebanana.

Of the four, the two first speak to me more, whatever that means. Take it for what it is worth, the impressions of an almost completely uninformed spectator of visual arts.

My family is a good example of how genetics come into play when it comes to artistic predispositions. On the maternal side, there is a strong strain for the visual arts, and generations of quality practicioners. On the paternal side, there is an equally strong strain for music and words and several generations of professionals. Of us four siblings, we have been equally divided between the two. In my case it was music and words (in French that is. Can't claim that in the case of English for sure). Ask me to render anything on a canvas, and it'll look like the scribbles of a 3-year old.

"Anything you do can be fixed. What you cannot fix is the perfection of a blank page. What you cannot fix is that pristine, unsullied whiteness of a screen or a page with nothing on it—because there’s nothing there to fix."
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 24 2016 3:44:50

minorthang

fantastic ,the first drawing is like how aeroplanes would have been like during Debussy's time
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 24 2016 4:16:43

estebanana

Debussy, a time I like. Alberto Santos Dumont from Brazil, the French plane called 'Antoinette'- Samuel Langley- all very interesting stuff. I've been thinking about that too, but I like the link between Debussy and aircraft.

Certain planes are iconic, the X-15 the MiG 15, the Me 262, I see them as images and ideas and not as much as warplanes, but they are warplanes. The P-51 and the Zero Sen are interesting for me personally because during WWII both sides of my family in the US and Japan encountered each aircraft. Strangely each side has a kind of admiration for the brilliance ad design of the aircraft of the opposite side. And I have long been interested in the Me 262 as a mystery, a thing that was deadly thing never really came to full usage.

I made a drawing last year which is a vertical diptych on two sheets of paper titled 'Luftwaffehansa', it's about 30"x 45" pencil, ink tempera.

An airliner and 262 drawn from a B/W photo....not sure what it means, but that's seldom important on the surface.

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 24 2016 14:01:01

Leñador

Great stuff! In contrast I actually like the last two the most.
My mom was a really great visual artist as well, I tried and tried and just couldn't, music kept pulling me because I just understood it easier. I still wish I could paint and draw.....

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 24 2016 14:40:40

Ricardo

Cool...I always felt the F104 starfighter (as seen in the right stuff movie) was the most perfect looking plane visually with that big engine pipe and short wings.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 24 2016 15:43:27

BarkellWH

quote:

Certain planes are iconic, the X-15 the MiG 15, the Me 262, I see them as images and ideas and not as much as warplanes, but they are warplanes. The P-51 and the Zero Sen are interesting for me personally because during WWII both sides of my family in the US and Japan encountered each aircraft. Strangely each side has a kind of admiration for the brilliance ad design of the aircraft of the opposite side. And I have long been interested in the Me 262 as a mystery, a thing that was deadly thing never really came to full usage.

Great work, Stephen! I still remember the ones you created over a year ago as well. You really have a knack for this art work.

A couple of thoughts. The ME-262 would have been a formidable fighter had it been introduced earlier in the war. By the time it was flying combat missions, there were too few of them, and the German pilots had not mastered the aircraft's maneuverability sufficiently to maximize its potential. For example, the closing speed, both in a frontal attack and from the rear, was so fast that it was difficult to shoot down the intended target. And by 1944, the Luftwaffe had deteriorated badly. Although the Germans still manufactured plenty of fighters, the first generation of pilots had all been killed by 1943, and the Germans never trained sufficient numbers to replace them. The Allied bombing of fuel depots wreaked havoc as well.

Regarding the Japanese Zero, the British military historian Max Hastings has written in his seminal work, "Inferno: The World at War, 1939-1945," that having so daunted the Allies in 1941-42, the Zero became wholly outclassed by 1943. Hastings writes that the Zero had been described as an "origami aircraft"--light, graceful, superbly maneuverable, but frail and offering negligible concessions to pilot safety. During the latter part of the Pacific campaign, the Japanese, like the Germans, lacked well-trained pilots. They turned to Kamikaze attacks on American ships, and for these they just needed pilots who could aim the aircraft at the intended target. Not much skill required.

Keep the art work coming, Amigo!

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 24 2016 17:54:32

estebanana

A couple of new airplane paintings. I guess these are based on Zeros and Me 262's

Inching up in scale- 14 x 17 in. People have asked when I'm going to make bigger ones. I hope they want to buy them!

Attachment (2)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 17 2017 19:20:43

estebanana

And these two are a Japanese plane called "Hayabusa" an earlier version of the Zero basically.

I sold the black and white ink drawing over the weekend to an old school mate for the San Francisco Art Institute. I'm happy about that. The other green one is being looked at by the owner of a shochu distillery in Japan.

Attachment (2)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 17 2017 19:25:21

estebanana

F-104 just made my short list of planes to paint. The short wings make it possible to stuff the image onto a square format if you foreshorten it. PLus it's a fantastic aircraft visually.

One of the books that really describe the use and downsides of the F-104 is Michaels Herr's book "Dispatches" about the American war in Vietnam. The F-104 was nicknamed "Thud" and pilots were called "Thud Studs" by the press corps. The F-104 got shot down a lot, was a fairly dangerous plane to fly. Not much glide ratio.

Interesting sidebar to the F-104, the U-2 spy plane is based on an F-104 fuselage design. The U-2's fuselage is basically an extended 104, with longer wings. The tail is changed and I think even the engines are pretty much the same with some high altitude modification. Both planes were built by the Skunk Works shop at Lockheed and when the call came in for the U-2 contract designer Kelly Johnson ripped a page out of the Russian Mikoyan shop and put the U-2 together with off the shelf parts used for the Starfighter. The American shops tended to create new planes from scratch each time a contract came up and the Russians tended to use a kind of stock part system to extend aircraft design as a form of iterations of previous birds.

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 17 2017 19:37:29

BarkellWH

More great stuff from Stephen Faulk's "Skunk Works" in Japan.

Just a suggestion, but I would like to see you make a painting/drawing of the SR-71. The SR-71 was developed to take U-2 reconnaissance capabilities a giant step forward. Originally developed and tested as a single-seater called the "A-12" at Groom Lake (Area 51) in Nevada, it finally ended up as the SR-71, a two-seater developed and tested at Palmdale, California. The two-man crew consisted of the pilot and the operator of the technical reconnaissance equipment. It is the sleekest, most magnificent machine one can imagine, capable of flying at an altitude of 90,000 feet at three times the speed of sound. It has been taken over by satellite imagery and is no longer in use for intelligence gathering.

It is not only a sleek machine, it is also wicked and ominous in appearance. You are the artist, Stephen, but in my mind's eye I envision a stylized painting/drawing of the SR-71 in flight against a background, the whole of which emphasizes not only the sleek beauty of the aircraft, but also the ominous nature of its mission and the (unspoken and unseen) potential danger to its intended intelligence targets by fighters and bombers who will use its imagery for targeting. In other words, the sleek beauty would be explicitly apparent, the ominous danger it represents would be inferred from the stylized painting/drawing and background.

At any rate, I think you could really a produce fine drawing/painting along the lines I am thinking, and I would love to see you do it sometime.

Bill

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 17 2017 21:08:56

estebanana

Bill,

I hear you, I've been working my way toward the Blackbird but waiting until I get a better handle on how I want to present and make the drawings. I've read a quite a few books about the SR-71 and its variations, and I'm especially enamored of Kelly Johnson's designs. I've even seen a Blackbird take off at Norton AFB when I was a kid living near the base.

Speaking of which, the C- 141 Starlifter is a kind a part of my family. Norton was a SAC base and the 141's were stationed out of Norton. I knew several 141 pilots that lived on my block. So eventually I want t get to that one too, even though is ain't no Habu.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 18 2017 1:19:17

Richard Jernigan

Great paintings, Stephen. Keep 'em coming.

I flew C-141s between Honolulu and Kwajalein several times from the late 1970s through the 1980s, when I went out for planning meetings or flight tests. Usually they were rigged with passenger seats that dated from the time of the Spanish Inquisition, though a couple of times they just had the sling seats that paralleled the sides, and could be hoisted out of the way to make room for more cargo.

Even with seats, there was always room for a few pallets of cargo. Woe betide the newbie civilian who innocently strolled up to take a look at the stuff. The Loadmaster would make it abundantly clear that passengers didn't cross the line.

When a civilian traveled on a military plane, they asked for your salary to calculate your rank. It was a false equivalence, since civilians typically got paid more than military with similar responsibilities. I started telling the travel people to lie, so I wouldn't get assigned to one of the two VIP seats on the plane. The C-141 had two tiny windows, one on each side of the fuselage. The VIP seats were next to them. The usual setup had a row of electric radiant heaters down the ceiling of the center aisle, and no insulation on the skin of the plane. You were broiled on one side, and only 1/16" of aluminum separated you from -65F outside.

The chief flight attendant was often a master sergeant, a woman about six feet-four, with muscles to match. She wore fatigues and combat boots. When she handed out the baloney sandwiches, you said, "Thank you!" in a loud clear voice.

On Kwaj at that time, Courvoisier VSOP was $8 per liter. Heading back to Hono I had a couple of bottles in my carry-on bag. While I wasn't looking, one of my companions "borrowed" a bottle and was furtively spiking cups of coffee from the big jug at the back of the passenger compartment. As soon as I tasted mine, I was in mortal fear of being apprehended by the master sergeant.

The Air Force Ballistic Missile Office moved from El Segundo out to Norton, so I went to meetings there fairly often.

Taking classified briefings to meetings at Norton, you were supposed to check them in overnight at the Military Air Transport Command Ops Shack. The first time I did it, I didn't know how to navigate out the flight line to the Ops Shack. A friend with me said, "Why don't we just drive out and look around?"

"You don't understand," I said. "The Air Force is very serious about their airplanes. I am not going to drive out and wander around among about two dozen C-141s and a few C-5s and get my butt arrested."

We finally found an Air Policeman who led the way. When we got there I said to my friend, "Want to come in with me?"

The Ops Shack was on the second floor of the building. Two signs flanked the broad stairway, each reading, "This is an operational facility of the United States Air Force. The use of deadly force is authorized." The signs had the desired effect on my friend.

The effect was reinforced when we got to the little window in the wall and rang the bell. One of the two majors pulling the night shift picked up his M-16 automatic rifle, came to the window, and said,"What can I do for you?"

My friend kept staring at the weapon while I checked in the package and got my hand receipt.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 18 2017 6:54:41

Anders Eliasson

Very nice. I like the black Hayabusa drawing/painting a LOT. You have captured it with very few lines. The blue Me-262 is really cool as well
And the starfighter l. Iconic aircraft. very good at flying straight and bad at turning. There´s a famous frase from a Canadian pilot that while flying the F-104 said to tower: "banking with the intent to turn" :-)
Its a petty though the whole story about the german Luftwaffe, Loockheed and the F-104

Any chance of working with civil aircraft or is it important for the experience that all these are supposed to kill man or destroy what man has made.

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 18 2017 7:38:33

Paul Magnussen

RE: Some aircraft drawings and paintings (in reply to BarkellWH

quote:

The ME-262 would have been a formidable fighter had it been introduced earlier in the war.

Also, if I recall correctly, Hitler was obsessed with reprisals and insisted on their being modified into fighter-bombers (with two bombs under the nose), which brought their speed down to that of the allied piston-engined fighters.

I still have (somewhere) a very detailed article about the balls-up the Air Ministry made over Frank Whittle, refusing to believe a jet engine could work even though (again, IIRC) he had the prototype up and running. This is never mentioned in the orgies of self-congratulation during the anniversaries of the Battle of Britain. Whittle died an embittered man.

(I see Wikipedia has been doctored to blame his health.)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 18 2017 15:46:37

estebanana

RE: Some aircraft drawings and paintings (in reply to Anders Eliasson

quote:

Any chance of working with civil aircraft or is it important for the experience that all these are supposed to kill man or destroy what man has made.

Yes.

Attachment (2)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 18 2017 18:49:19

estebanana

more

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 18 2017 18:51:39

Anders Eliasson

They are sweet. Is that some kind of Leonardo da Vinci studies?

I like gliders. Sitting on a mountain slope waching gliders is very relaxing.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 19 2017 6:37:13

estebanana

Made from photos of Otto Lillenthal's gliders, with some imaginary stuff thrown in. And from cicada and dragon flies I picked up after the cat downed them like surface to air missile. I have a box full.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 19 2017 10:56:22

Anders Eliasson

Ahh, yeah, Lillenthal. I had almost forgotten about him.
Its interesting to see how complex these early gliders were. What would persons like Lillenthal have thought if they saw the modern delta glider in all its simplicity.
But the Delta glider is a boring art object compared to these beauties.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 19 2017 15:32:47

estebanana

It's really the structure of the Lillenthal gliders and other early flying machine that attract me. Maybe you get it because it's like the small boat building and our guitar making. The sensibility for light gracile structures, and with early aircraft the direct notions of bird flight and bird skeleton. It's rich with imagery, metaphor, myth all that. Deep stuff to muck around in.

Now I seem to want to work with the modern airplanes, but it always cycles around to the first ones. It's always fascinated me that we went from the Wright Flier or French planes like "Antoinette" - Santos Dumont to the jet age in 50 years or less.

And you know at a certain point guitar making becomes about decorating and that is not interesting to me. It's kind of life draining actually; after the day of making serious non decorated on guitars I like to move paint and drawing materials around. I could also base all this on the figure and draw from the figure, but the airplanes are stand ins for figuration.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 19 2017 19:04:00

Escribano

This is my favourite civilian plane. The De Havilland Dragon Rapide. She's beautiful.

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 19 2017 19:22:05

Escribano

quote:

And you know at a certain point guitar making becomes about decorating and that is not interesting to me. It's kind of life draining actually;

Tell me about it. Electric guitar players? They spend more time and money discussing which guitar and what mods. as opposed to learning the damn thing. Me included.

I like your paintings, your sense of shape and movement. I find art very therapeutic and I love older airplanes. Not to hijack your thread (much) but I have been working on this simple object. It's my first painting since I was 8 years old (of Chinese kids flying kites, for which I actually won a town prize). I tend to get bogged down in the detail when it is the illusion of form with light and shade that is key... and shadows are difficult.

Acrylic on canvas.

Attachment (1)

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 19 2017 20:04:51

FredGuitarraOle

RE: Some aircraft drawings and paintings (in reply to Escribano

quote:

This is my favourite civilian plane. The De Havilland Dragon Rapide. She's beautiful.

My grandfather flew in those planes a few times as a passenger during the 50's in Mozambique. There is one exposed in Sintra Air Base here in Portugal. Beautiful indeed.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 19 2017 22:38:22

estebanana

It reminds me of Morandi.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 19 2017 23:32:24

Anders Eliasson

quote:

It's rich with imagery, metaphor, myth all that

I agree with your points on Lillenthals work.. But it was also the in the middle of romantisism and the poor guy crashed and died. His last words are supposed have been:
Opfer müssen gebracht werden!" (Sacrifices must be made!) I mean can it be more romantic than that.

Simon, the DH. Rapide is a beauty indeed. There´s a good freeware flightsim version of it. Slow and stable and made out of plywood.

Another IMHO beauty (and with familiarity to the Rapide), Danish built KZ 4

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 20 2017 7:58:25

estebanana

That would be anice one to draw because of the cowling that covers engines and landing gear.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 20 2017 21:02:46

estebanana

Bill,

I began looking a the SR-71, I've been making collage in my sketchbook. A drawing and some kind of aircraft printed by lazer. Then glue it all together.
The first thing I came up with was this idea of the first and the fastest. The gestural loose postcard sized image of a somthing that alludes to the Wright Brothers, and a back half of the SR-71.
Meanwhile, guitar making.

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 23 2017 13:40:07

BarkellWH

quote:

The first thing I came up with was this idea of the first and the fastest.

Interesting concept, Stephen. Not only the first and the fastest, but I believe the SR-71 attained the highest altitude (over 90,000 Ft.) of any manned, powered aircraft. It's looking good.

Bill

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 23 2017 18:10:29

BarkellWH

quote:

Bill,

I began looking a the SR-71, I've been making collage in my sketchbook. A drawing and some kind of aircraft printed by lazer. Then glue it all together.
The first thing I came up with was this idea of the first and the fastest. The gestural loose postcard sized image of a somthing that alludes to the Wright Brothers, and a back half of the SR-71.

Stephen,

As I mentioned in my comment above, it is an interesting concept. In reading your post, though, I gather that it is one idea, and you are still playing around with the final result you are looking for. Keep us posted as you refine your vision for the SR-71.

Cheers,

Bill

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 24 2017 13:21:25
Page:   [1] 2    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages