Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

french polish colors   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Vince

french polish colors 

Is there a rule for FP wen using different colors (Blonde, Garnet)?
I usually apply a body coat of blonde or super blonde and finishing with orange or garnet if i need a darker color.
I read that some people do it vice versa?

Vince
http://www.gitarrenbau-held.de/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 6 2016 12:40:49

Tom Blackshear

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Mar. 21 2017 18:46:23
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 6 2016 13:24:02

Jose Marques

RE: french polish colors (in reply to Vince

quote:

Is there a rule for FP wen using different colors (Blonde, Garnet)?
I usually apply a body coat of blonde or super blonde and finishing with orange or garnet if i need a darker color.
I read that some people do it vice versa?

yes you can do that or just start with the orange, but must be careful if you will have to sand a bit because that can be a mark.

my way is apply a color one with a brush and then continue with the moñeca, I do other different thing, I finish with bond one, I found out that can be easier to do the final steps
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 13 2020 15:49:42

Tom Blackshear

I spray a very thin clear coat, then color it with very thin spray coats to build the desired color, then spray a few clear coats to seal the color, then french polish over the entire pray coats to a final finish, then compound out the final finish to a shine.

These coats are sprayed fairly dry, not too wet.

Take into consideration that I use just enough shellac to bind the coat to adhere to the wood and other coats. The major part of the mix is 190 proof Ever-Clear alcohol.

This mix makes the shellac very thin, about as thin as one coat of Lacquer for the final finish.

Tom Blackshear Guitar maker
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 13 2020 17:38:32

constructordeguitarras

I used to seal with blonde and use more highly colored shellac on top of that. I have found that when there are layered colors, repairing damaged areas can be very difficult, so I now use only one color on a surface.

Ethan Deutsch
www.edluthier.com
www.facebook.com/ethandeutschguitars
www.youtube.com/marioamayaflamenco
I always have flamenco guitars available for sale.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 13 2020 17:56:17

Jose Marques

RE: french polish colors (in reply to constructordeguitarras

quote:

I used to seal with blonde and use more highly colored shellac on top of that. I have found that when there are layered colors, repairing damaged areas can be very difficult, so I now use only one color on a surface.

i have done like that as well, I just found that wen you have the color and you are moving the shellac in final steps you can finish with a darker spots , most of the time just you will note that but it can happen.

anyway my opinion is , if works for you then great theres a lot of different way to do it :)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 13 2020 21:22:17

Tom Blackshear

RE: french polish colors (in reply to constructordeguitarras

quote:

I have found that when there are layered colors, repairing damaged areas can be very difficult, so I now use only one color on a surface.

Ethan,

To correct my post a little; is that I use an Ethan Allen style of shading spray that darkens with each continual coat of color; meaning that I do a continuous pray technique that blends into one final color.

I don't wait for each coat to dry and then add different pray coats. In other words all of the continual spray coats melt into each other to form one darker shade of color.

Normally I will store the additional color or color mix for any repair that may be needed. This way I have an air brush that works well by using a clear plastic cut out of the size repair the guitar needs, and then use the same color shading to bring the color into a near perfect match with the original color scheme.

Sorry for my previous explanation.

Tom Blackshear Guitar maker
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 13 2020 21:24:28

Jose Marques

RE: french polish colors (in reply to Tom Blackshear

quote:

I spray a very thin clear coat,

thats another thing I never done, spray shellac :) I saw that even exists some spray cans
o dear I'm to old I need a reboot :P

https://josemarquescustomguitars.jimdo.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 13 2020 21:36:42
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll