Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Keeping the pulse   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Piwin

RE: Keeping the pulse (in reply to Deniz

quote:

..but does it come in nitro finish?!

Re: konnakol, Mclaughlin has a teaching video on how he uses it for guitar. Dunno how it sounds for someone who actually practices Indian classical music though.

"Anything you do can be fixed. What you cannot fix is the perfection of a blank page. What you cannot fix is that pristine, unsullied whiteness of a screen or a page with nothing on it—because there’s nothing there to fix."
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 27 2020 9:08:14

sim999

RE: Keeping the pulse (in reply to Piwin

This one is funny too :

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 27 2020 13:49:43

Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Piwin

quote:

..but does it come in nitro finish?!

Re: konnakol, Mclaughlin has a teaching video on how he uses it for guitar. Dunno how it sounds for someone who actually practices Indian classical music though.

He meant it as a compliment to his instructional guitar video, which only has chapter 10-12 focused on odd meter examples. He steps aside and let’s Selva Ganesh teach all the konnakol on that video. And selva used the metronome.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 27 2020 16:41:07

Piwin

RE: Keeping the pulse (in reply to Ricardo

Right. I watched it years ago so maybe my memory's blurry. I remember the other guy teaching the rudiments. Not doubting his qualifications. Just wondering if, since IIRC it's designed as basics to then apply to the guitar, whether it's like videos teaching people to clap 3-6-8-10-12 kind-of-thing. Given how large a world Indian classical music is, I figured there might be experts out there disputing how Mclaughlin used certain basics of konnakol in his own music.

"Anything you do can be fixed. What you cannot fix is the perfection of a blank page. What you cannot fix is that pristine, unsullied whiteness of a screen or a page with nothing on it—because there’s nothing there to fix."
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 28 2020 17:16:19

Ricardo

quote:

Right. I watched it years ago so maybe my memory's blurry. I remember the other guy teaching the rudiments. Not doubting his qualifications. Just wondering if, since IIRC it's designed as basics to then apply to the guitar, whether it's like videos teaching people to clap 3-6-8-10-12 kind-of-thing. Given how large a world Indian classical music is, I figured there might be experts out there disputing how Mclaughlin used certain basics of konnakol in his own music.

Using the system or not for non Indian music will not be perceptible. He is simply admitting he used the system for ALL his music, not just shakti. Once you learned the rudiments it should be obvious how to apply it to any style.

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 28 2020 17:56:14

Piwin

I honestly don't remember how far they get in that video. If it's just the very basics just to show how you can use strings of syllables to match groupings of X notes, then sure, works for anything. But if you keep going at some point it starts to get caught up in larger concepts of Indian music.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 28 2020 21:08:53

Piwin

Ended up just trying to do some of those 16th-note patterns to a metronome set at more or less their speed. Got lost pretty quickly. I have trouble "resetting" between fast picado bursts if the pause between the two is that short.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 1 2020 13:51:47

kitarist

quote:

Have you tried following the score doing one-note picado?

Ha. It would have been nice if the score also had the underlying 12.4.6. hand pattern explicitly written as she gets off it with the syllables almost immediately; then it would be easier to follow and appreciate the syncopations, so to speak. At least he's divided the "staff" with bars every 7/4, and they seem accurate as far as I got following.

Konstantin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 1 2020 18:39:42

Piwin

RE: Keeping the pulse (in reply to kitarist

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 31 2023 12:46:21

Richard Jernigan

[quote0
Using the system or not for non Indian music will not be perceptible. He is simply admitting he used the system for ALL his music, not just shakti. Once you learned the rudiments it should be obvious how to apply it to any style.
[/quote]

Count this:

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 1 2023 1:47:01

Ricardo

RE: Keeping the pulse (in reply to Richard Jernigan

2/4 with several tempo changes and a couple of 6/8 over lays. The one spot with the band/piano you need to overlay the clave that “&2, 3-Ah, &…etc.” making a brief 4/4 section.

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 1 2023 17:02:28

chester

Funny, I never met anyone who also likes (or even knows) that astronaut dogs band (introduced to me by spotify's recommendations).

The Maalouf album is great! Thanks for the links.

quote:

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 2 2023 23:41:47

Piwin

RE: Keeping the pulse (in reply to chester

Nothing tricky on that last one. Just love the groovy push from 5s.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 14 2023 20:35:39

Ricardo

quote:

Nothing tricky on that last one. Just love the groovy push from 5s.

It makes me wonder if we ever become interstellar, if we will discover some alien race that had recently discovered autotune and be like “oh crap.”.

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 16 2023 11:09:10

Piwin

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 17 2023 8:03:45
Page:   <<   <   1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post