Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

.   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

VAHE

Attachment (2)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 25 2016 18:51:31

Ricardo

RE: MANUEL REYES GUITAR / BY LUTHIER... (in reply to VAHE

AMAZING
CANT WAIT TO PLAY IT
LETS SEE IT

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 25 2016 19:02:31

VAHE

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Apr. 27 2021 2:00:57
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 25 2016 19:28:45

Leñador

GOOD JOB, SOUNDS GREAT.

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 25 2016 19:50:07

Piwin

RE: MANUEL REYES GUITAR / BY LUTHIER... (in reply to Leñador

Stop it you guys. That's a capital offense.
OK
I'm out

Nice guitar btw!

"Anything you do can be fixed. What you cannot fix is the perfection of a blank page. What you cannot fix is that pristine, unsullied whiteness of a screen or a page with nothing on it—because there’s nothing there to fix."
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 25 2016 19:54:42

VAHE

RE: MANUEL REYES GUITAR / BY LUTHIER... (in reply to Leñador

THANK YOU
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 25 2016 20:20:06

Tom Blackshear

Bravo!!

Nice guitar, the head stock peg holes look a little wider but the guitar is beautiful.

How did you apply the color???

Tom Blackshear Guitar maker
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 26 2016 14:09:37

VAHE

RE: MANUEL REYES GUITAR / BY LUTHIER... (in reply to Tom Blackshear

HELLO TOM.

Its french polish amber.
I do have your manuel reyes blue print I've build many guitars based on your blue print. and they sound great. all my guitars are based on your blue print with a littile variation in the fan bracing length.

This guitar measurement is based on a manuel reyes guitar that i have , that the father made. yes you are correct about the pig holes i made it little wider for the strings not to touch the wood .
-----------------------------------------------
vaheguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 26 2016 17:57:18

Tom Blackshear

quote:

Its french polish amber.

Yes, but I was wondering if you used a spray gun to get the even color or hand padded it.

I have to use a spray gun to get my colors even.

This is one reason I switched to rosewood and cedar so I wouldn't have to use color.

But there will be times when I have to resort back to it.

Can you tell us how you got started in this business, as I must confess I don't have a very good memory of all the builders out there.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 26 2016 18:54:44

VAHE

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Aug. 1 2016 2:45:12
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 26 2016 19:54:00

Tom Blackshear

quote:

i use first coat of french polish clear with a brush without using oil, thin cut applying it very heavy to raise wood grain.after 48 hours smoothing it with steel wool. applying amber french shellac with spray very thin without using oil. after 48 hours applying clear shellac over the amber with oil and pad to trap the color under and finishing it with clear shellac.

Yes, that makes sense...I spray a thin coat of clear shellac, then spray it with thin color coats to get the desired color build up, then spray clear to lock in the color, about 5 thin coats, then let dry and hand pad the finish until it is smooth; sanding in-between hand coats until everything is polished out.

But I have to tell you this way takes a long time to dry and I'm going to have to eliminate some of the process to get it to dry faster, even though it makes a beautiful finish.

Where are you living now..what part of the country?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 26 2016 20:58:49

VAHE

I live in Los Angeles Ca. Palmdale 93551
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 26 2016 21:04:48

Tom Blackshear

This should make it easy for your US sales.

It seems that all my sales are in the US now.

Do you plan to expand your guitar business or stay as an integral part of your other businesses?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 27 2016 7:42:54

VAHE

yes i would like expand and make it my priority . i thing i need some one to handle my marketing.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 27 2016 9:34:08

Tom Blackshear

quote:

yes i would like expand and make it my priority . i thing i need some one to handle my marketing.

There are several ways in which to market guitars. I have tried practically all of them and wound up with selling most of my instruments to music companies and to have them spread my name base world wide.

This is certainly a good way to market but you have to be careful not to let any company ask for an exclusive, simply because it could wind up with them thinking that they own your name and this could be disastrous in your ability to move merchandise when needed.

My idea for that is to locate music stores based in three parts of the country like California, Midwest and East Coast areas to secure your sales but not over populate the competition, by allowing the companies to have some sales area protection, even though the market should be open nationwide.

Another way is to see if a well known player would endorse your guitars. This is somewhat risky as there are not too many well known players who would be agreeable to do long term endorsements.

And the third way would be for you to set up your own sales through a website.

Perhaps this is to say you could do all three and manage to sell enough guitars to earn a living. And if you have the room for teaching this art, then incorporate it into the whole of business to accumulate enough help from your students to help with the out put.

I have the distinct advantage with Manuel helping me with my neck and bridge production. Everything seems to go faster this way; a whole lot less hassle.

However, there is no way everything comes together very fast, as it takes time to make things work. One thing I see very clearly is to make a guitar that most players love to play, with its sound and motif. This is the reason I chose to develop the Miguel Rodriguez and the Manuel Reyes styles.

They have been a good seller for me, and although there are other popular styles, the key to sales is to capture the market's attention with the best you can supply, at a reasonable price. So, it's important to figure out what price range you want to be in.

My talks with Manuel centered around him building a quality guitar to compete with the $10,000 level and sell it for $5,000 to $6,000 or a basic mid level price range to get into the market with a new brand/model.

He understood that this is pretty much getting into the market with a new model but that the prices will come to an accepted level of what the market will bear for future sales. This is an accepted marketing idea to see what the market will bear, as far as prices go. So, it doesn't take long to find out where your price should be.

Most competent music companies can help you with this. Just be careful what their motives are, and their level of expertise for marketing your specific product.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 27 2016 14:34:52

VAHE

Thank you very much with your help , i thing i will try a few of your suggestion hopefully will work for me .

Were are you located what state ?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 27 2016 17:38:13

Tom Blackshear

I live in San Antonio Texas but sell most of my guitars nation wide.

You can google my website by typing in Tom Blackshear Guitars.

I don't take orders anymore but I still build guitars and then call around to different places of business to see if anyone would like to buy.

This is less stressful for me at my age.

I teach fine tuning the voice of guitars. My last client was Manuel Adalid, one of the principles of the Esteve Guitar Factory in Valencia Spain. He came here to San Antonio for the class.

So it appears you are doing well with the Reyes model. I would like to see one some day.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 27 2016 20:29:09

VAHE

THANK YOU
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 27 2016 21:30:29

Tom Blackshear

Also, I might add that it would be good to see your work in progress on this forum, as it is good exposure for all builders to keep their work in view for aficionados who find guitar work interesting.

There is no more efficient way to advertise guitar building than free exposure on chat lists.

And if the product is good then you will get orders.

Personally, I don't look for orders here because my prices are too high on the average, but on occasion, someone will e-mail me and we'll talk about it.

There are other builders here who have made great contributions to this forum, and we welcome you to our group of friendly competition; sharing a wealth of information for all.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 30 2016 14:45:54

VAHE

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Apr. 27 2021 1:59:20
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 30 2016 17:19:46
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages