Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

July 4th advice,,,   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

El Kiko

July 4th advice,,, 

As July the 4th approaches , i was thinking , or rather my wife was ... ( i gave up thinking ages ago )
Sometimes we eat food to do with world events and occasions just for the hell of it , and because we are stuck for ideas of stuff to cook ...

So we'll make a good ole' U, S , of A meal for the 4th ....
but what ??....not burgers and fries ...
so ..
...instead of an internut search I thought ... well theres plenty of yous yanks on here....

So tell me ...fairly typical food, drink , music, dance , clothing ..?
is the food regional ?
(Please tell my wife it MUST involve beer in some way ...just so i can point at this screen and say ..
'' See , my dearest darling .. that nice American chap has insisted its not authentic without Budweiser , jack daniels or whatever ..)
So ... what have you got for us ??

Don't trust Atoms.....they make up everything.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 28 2016 17:00:02

tri7/5

RE: July 4th advice,,, (in reply to El Kiko

Anything cooked on the grill or smoker is typical for the 4th. Hamburgers, steaks, BBQ, hotdogs etc. Throw veggies on the grill too! Corn and zuchinni are great grilled.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 28 2016 17:33:14

El Kiko

RE: July 4th advice,,, (in reply to tri7/5

Zucchini or courgette to us over here ,,,, I had to look that up just to be sure..
you forgot to mention beer , i wont get any ow

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 28 2016 17:59:22

Escribano

I'm not American, though I lived there for a while. I remember the burgers with Monterey Jack cheese, great steaks, Bud, more Bud and lots of fireworks. Sounds like fun.

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 28 2016 18:03:19

BarkellWH

As has been noted, grilled steaks, hamburgers, and hotdogs are July 4th fare.

Alas, Budweiser was bought out by a joint Belgian-Brazilian company named Anheuser Busch Inbev and can no longer be deemed truly American. Nevertheless, the Belgian owners have claimed they will temporarily rename Budweiser "America" until the November election, after which it presumably will revert to Budweiser. Very patriotic. You can stand up and salute each can as you drain it and toss it into the recycle bin.

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 28 2016 18:05:59

Piwin

quote:

Zucchini or courgette to us over here ,,,, I had to look that up just to be sure..

Throw in some eggplant just to be safe.

"Anything you do can be fixed. What you cannot fix is the perfection of a blank page. What you cannot fix is that pristine, unsullied whiteness of a screen or a page with nothing on it—because there’s nothing there to fix."
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 28 2016 18:09:52

Kiko_Roca

quote:

ORIGINAL: El Kiko

you forgot to mention beer , i wont get any ow

Beer is part of the grilling process. You pour a little over the meat as you start grilling. Just a smidgen. It goes bad quickly though, so you have to go ahead and drink the rest of the beer in the bottle asap. Every time you flip the meat, you have to crack a new bottle and pour just a bit more on. I find it best to flip frequently, despite what the grilling guides may say.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 28 2016 18:35:17

El Kiko

RE: July 4th advice,,, (in reply to Kiko_Roca

I'll take that as an official American guide to July 4th

print it and hand it over to the wife with the meal suggestion ....
whew ..close call that ......

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 28 2016 19:28:36

Mark2

I consider myself a fairly good BBQer. Baby back Pork Ribs and chicken are my favorites. Put the ribs in the oven at 350 degrees for an hour, then put them on the grill with fairly low heat and lots of smoke for about 30 minutes minimum. Longer at low heat even better. Of course rubs and BBQ sauce are crucial. Leon's BBQ sauce is the favorite, however, it can be difficult to obtain. Leon was a huge black guy who ran a BBQ joint by Ocean beach when I was growing up in SF. He's passed on, and the place has been gone for 30 or more years, but the sauce survives and can sometimes be found in some markets. Chicken the key is to keep the temp of the grill fairly low and take your time. Lots of smoke. No propane grills! Charcoal, or even better mesquite wood chips.

San Francisco style burgers are served on sour dough French rolls. Difficult to come by outside of SF proper. Chop onions and mix into the ground beef(80% lean), add salt and BBQ over fairly high heat. Sharp or medium cheddar cheese! If you like drag it through the garden with avocado, lettuce, tomato, more onion, and bacon. Pickles on the side.
Side dishes include corn on the cob, boiled for only a few minutes or cooked on the grill wrapped in foil. Serve with butter and salt. Baked potato as well, or some kind of pasta salad. Appetizers can be tortilla chips with guacamole, which fortunately for me, the wife makes expertly. No tomato in the guac-onions, lemon, salt, cilantro, oregano are added.

Beer at my house is often Corona with lemon and salt. Take the lemon and rub it around the neck of the bottle, squeeze some of the juice into the bottle, then pop the lemon piece right in the bottle. Then sprinkle salt around the top part of the bottle neck. Of course we also drink other beers as well. And wines from
Sonoma. Cabs and merlots mostly. Attire is casual-flip flops, t shirts and board shorts. Surfing, swimming, and relaxing in the hot tub all part of the day's recreation. Blast salsa music, hang out on the deck, burn some weed, and there you go. San Francisco Bay area style BBQ. Just had one last Saturday.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 28 2016 19:34:27

El Kiko

RE: July 4th advice,,, (in reply to BarkellWH

quote:

BarkellWH

bud isn't American !...how about Coors light ?.... i can get that over here..
Waffles for breakfast ?..maple syrup??

Beer can chicken ..sound promising ...

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 28 2016 19:47:12

El Kiko

RE: July 4th advice,,, (in reply to Mark2

wowo... Mark2 ..
very detailed recipe and ideas to be from SF for a day ....
course I'm in Ireland ..the chances of getting sun on Monday are about as small as me learning to have a good tremolo by Monday .....
However .
Much appreciated .. I will definatly incorporate some of those ideas in the day , pal ..buddy ? partner ... ?
and I will try to make it as good a grill as my wife can ....
corona I can get here too ...

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 28 2016 19:55:07

Mark2

quote:

ORIGINAL: El Kiko

corona I can get here too ...

Then you are on your way-just don't forget the lime or lemon and salt! we just say "Dude!!!"
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 28 2016 19:59:23

Escribano

RE: July 4th advice,,, (in reply to Mark2

Great tips on BBQs here but remember that a proper US grill has a cover, to smoke the meat with Mesquite and not cremate it, as folk do over here.

Bud and Coors are horrible but ubiquitous. I used to drink Red Dog from the Miller Plank brewery but not sure you can get it here.

Even better is a Michelada beer cocktail

http://www.chowhound.com/recipes/michelada-10662

More Mexican than American but delicious!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 28 2016 20:29:53

Mark2

RE: July 4th advice,,, (in reply to Escribano

Absolutely-to smoke the meat and regulate the temperature

quote:

ORIGINAL: Escribano

Great tips on BBQs here but remember that a proper US grill has a cover, to smoke the meat with Mesquite and not cremate it, as folk do over here.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 28 2016 20:45:16

El Kiko

Good looks’....dudes ...
Dunno if I can get all t hat ... its more a case of tryna putting what i can together with what i have available here ....dude,, so like ...fasho ...coo...

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 28 2016 21:49:29

timoteo

Apple pie!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 28 2016 21:56:13

Richard Jernigan

I've had one of these since at least 1975.

The grill itself is heavy cast aluminum, so it will last a long time.

I build a hot charcoal fire in it and grill steaks, five minutes per side. You can control the burn rate of the charcoal vie vents in the top of the grill, so the fat cooking out of the steaks doesn't flare into flame.

Apple pie is a great idea.

For picnics, fried chicken and watermelon are a good combo. In Texas the peaches from Fredericksburg are ripe, and they make wonderful home made peach ice cream. When I was a kid, the bigger boys' job was to convince the younger boys that they could demonstrate their manhood by turning the crank on the ice cream freezer when the ice cream started to get stiff....

RNJ

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (2)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 28 2016 22:13:01

Paul Magnussen

quote:

course I'm in Ireland

You’re in Ireland, and you’re longing for Bud, and Coors Lite? Eeek!

If you want an American beer, how about Sierra Nevada, or Sam Adams?

(Last time I was in Ireland [Galway], I found a wonderful bitter, but now I can’t remember its name: Mac-something?

Everybody looked at me at me as if I’d sprouted an extra head, and said “D’ye not drink pints of Guinness, then?”)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 28 2016 22:42:29

Morante

quote:

.. its more a case of tryna putting what i can together with what i have available her

You are in Ireland. What about scallops, oysters, turbot etc. All can be grilled if you know how to cook
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 28 2016 23:18:25

Leñador

Nice Kiko! BBQ, grillin and beer?? Now you're speaking my language!

Beer:
Indeed Bud, Coors, and Miller seems to be the beer of choice for the country folk and working class but if I'm gunna drink p*ss water I'd rather pay a bit less and get Pabst or Milwakees best. Ideally I get a nice microbrew from somewhere close by, to me nothing more patriotic than supporting small business. Aside from that I'd say Paul is spot on, have a Sam Adams or Sierra Nevada, Sam is very patriotic.

Food:
It is indeed a regional thing. In LA for instance most common things you see are grilled tacos(carne asada/pollo asado) or Korean short ribs. Me personally I go a little more fancy and do some 2-zone smoking in my weber kettle. Low and slow with lots of smoke, it takes a fair amount of practice to get good at but once you master it NOTHING beats a low slow smoke on charcoal and wood. My favorites to do are kansas city style ribs, I use this rub:
http://amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/meatheads_memphis_dust.html
with this sauce:
http://amazingribs.com/recipes/BBQ_sauces/kansas_city_classic_BBQ_sauce.html
and these directions:
http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porknography/best_BBQ_ribs_ever.html
I love that amazing ribs.com website, it's great for learning how to smoke, a lot of science.
My other favorite is santa maria trip-tip since it's also a very "california" cut of meat. I just salt it a few hours before, go low and slow till I hit 120 center then scorch the outside. Let it rest a good 15 minutes and start cutting. Contrary to what they think in Spain & most latin american countries, COWS ARE MEANT TO BE SERVED RARE! lolol The juice that comes out can be mixed with fresh chopped herbs to make an awesome board sauce.

Whatever you do, all that matters is what you eat is cooked outside and you drink a lot of beer! Happy 4th Kiko!

Some very LA sides:
Grilled corn with mayo and chili pepper
Chopped up fruits with lime juice and chili pepper

Just saw Simons Michelada bidness, good stuff, I usually save those for the hang over.

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 29 2016 0:42:47

Piwin

Don't forget that if you want the authentic experience, at some point you're going to have to crack some fireworks in the backyard, preferably the biggest ones you can find and in the most dangerous fashion possible. It just ain't the 4th of July if nobody leaves with a serious injury.

"Anything you do can be fixed. What you cannot fix is the perfection of a blank page. What you cannot fix is that pristine, unsullied whiteness of a screen or a page with nothing on it—because there’s nothing there to fix."
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 29 2016 9:01:48

Leñador

Hahaha yeah, you gotta real drunk and play "who can hold it the longest" Lolol I've got a picture of my hands somewhere after a night of that. I'm so glad I'm older and calmer now......

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 29 2016 13:37:32

El Kiko

RE: July 4th advice,,, (in reply to Leñador

well hi y'all that just sound , so like , terffic , and , like , far our....dude ...

I will make it as American as i can with what i got ...hence Coors n that ...
I got a BBQ but it has no top ... i will make something ....fireworks are strangely hard to get in Ireland ...something to do with the IRA and explosives i think they are illegal ...
pity , i used to like them when i was a kid ...

Anyway, I probably need a large 40 piece marching band with them girls that spin batons at the front .....look on EBay for that ....

we do have loud explosive charges for scaring crows off newly sown crops seeds .....that'll do ....dude ..

so like ..its gonna be , like BBQ stuff n burgers with homemade bread stuff and roast veg ,,cool , and a crate of beer .. or two ...

So music ...HillBilly ??....chicken picken? ...Hendrix playing the star spangled banner ?
I tell you dudes this is gonna be more American than George Washington wearing a baseball cap eatin apple pie in a pickup truck...

erm ....

Y'all

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 29 2016 16:28:41

Escribano

quote:

So music ...HillBilly ??....chicken picken? ...Hendrix playing the star spangled banner ?

I remember a lot of Springsteen

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 29 2016 16:40:32

El Kiko

it would be '' Born in the USA ''then ...

edit ..play list ...
Beach boys ..california girls ..
Billy joel ..new york state of mind .
sweet home.. alabama
miley cyrus ..party in the USA ..( my daughter suggested that .... honest...)
simon and garfunkel ...America
Lenny Kravitz ...American woman
erm....
Kim Wilde . were the kids in America ..

ermm..
erm,...

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 29 2016 17:37:00

Leñador

quote:

it would be '' Born in the USA ''then ...

Just blast that on level 10 all day, it never gets old and your neighbours will love you! hahahaha

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 29 2016 17:40:04

El Kiko

RE: July 4th advice,,, (in reply to Leñador

see edit previous

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 29 2016 17:44:17

Piwin

And for the more relaxing moments, there's always this:

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 29 2016 17:54:50

Ricardo

McDonald's and/or KFC.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 29 2016 21:54:41

El Kiko

RE: July 4th advice,,, (in reply to Ricardo

yup ...

July 4th ...in a box

simple

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 29 2016 22:05:55
Page:   [1] 2    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post