Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

UK votes out of the EU   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Escribano

UK votes out of the EU 

Sorry guys, we did our best but I feel further from my friends in Europe than ever.

The Prime Minister has resigned, Scotland will push for another independence referendum and leave, Northern Ireland will descend into sectarian conflict and Wales will not want to hang around.

Other discontented countries may well cause the implosion of the EU.

I am going to apply for an Irish passport through my ancestors, but I am not convinced there will be an EU by then.

A very sad for me, half my countrymen and thousands of EU residents in the UK.

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 24 2016 7:44:06

Blondie#2

RE: UK votes out of the EU (in reply to Escribano

Couldn't agree more Simon, heartbreaking to wake up in little England.

Ashamed to be British this morning, this is an appalling outcome for so many reasons.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 24 2016 9:11:15

tijeretamiel

Strange times.

I bet Cameron has a hangover worse than the time he ****ed a pig (he's the one to blame, he called the referendum, then resigns when the going gets bad...)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 24 2016 9:17:24

Pimientito

Crazy times upon us indeed. Im applying for Spanish passport so that i dont need a VISA to live in Spain in 2 years time, although we still might not have a Spanish government by then. Next on list is president Trump who might actually build a wall between England and France when he has run out of Mexican border to build on.........

Follow my blog http://pimientito.wordpress.com/

"Ceremonial" by Mark Shurey "Pimientito". CD and digital download vailable on Amazon and
CDbaby. http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markshurey
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 24 2016 11:08:25

Escribano

RE: UK votes out of the EU (in reply to Pimientito

quote:

Im applying for Spanish passport so that i dont need a VISA to live in Spain in 2 years time, although we still might not have a Spanish government by then

You have to relinquish British citizenship don't you? Not that it will mean anything by then.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 24 2016 12:01:25

minorthang

quote:

Pimientito
whats the process???out of interest
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 24 2016 12:06:32

Escribano

RE: UK votes out of the EU (in reply to minorthang

quote:

whats the process???out of interest

We read up on it in Spain a while back, as my wife is Mexican and they enjoy a preference, but we were completely blocked by sloooooooow bureaucracy and ridiculous documentation requirements.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 24 2016 12:36:14

Pimientito

Well its not so complex to become a Spanish citizen if you are a member of an EU country so I imagine the State secretary is going to be bombarded with a half million citizen apllications this month!!

Even though you have to reliquish your British Citizenship to Spain, a British citizen can never renounce their citizenship so what happens is that UK citizens get their passports sent to the UK government, who then send it back to you so that you in effect have dual nationality.

A Uk citizen can get Spanish citizenship if they have lived in Spain as a tax resident for 10 years, have no criminal record and can prove they speak Spanish and have integrated into Spanish society (which might prove a problem for half the Marbella residents)

"Ceremonial" by Mark Shurey "Pimientito". CD and digital download vailable on Amazon and
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 24 2016 12:51:41

Piwin

Sad news indeed.
Though after decades of politicians saving their own asses by blaming the EU, spreading lies in all part of society about the extent to which the EU "overregulates" and thereby impedes progress, it was sadly to be expected. French politicians have been playing this little game for decades too. Were we too have a referendum now, the results would most likely be the same as in the UK (the French did in fact say no to further political integration with the EU back in 2003 but our political leaders utterly disregarded the results of the referendum...ah, true democracy!).

What this means for the future is hard to tell. If other countries follow suit, then it would most likely mean the end of what I consider to have been the most promising and hopeful political endeavour of the last century. Some optimistic voices have stated that this could be an unprecedented opportunity for the EU to further progress, as the UK was one of the major forces working against any further integration (and always kept the EU at arms length for that matter: no Shengen, no euro, etc.). Though I can't say that today I feel all that optimistic... Maybe tomorrow... I have a hard time understanding how anyone considers such a step back as progress. But so goes it. Perhaps after we've gone back to strong nation-states, we can move back to religious groups, and then all the way back to tribes as the basic political unit. After all, everyone knows that all of these big international organizations only bring peace and prosperity and it was so much better back in the paleo days where you had to worry about waging war or conducting raids on the neighbors that lived in the next-door forest. I can't see how this is a step forward. The next generation of voters, those who never knew what life was like without the "borderless" internet, simply won't understand this reflex of closing the doors shut.

In the meantime, this is the part where we've broken up, and you're packing up your stuff in boxes, where we have to decide whether we can still be friends or if we really shouldn't see each other any more. That uncomfortable moment that last maybe a few days or a week but that in the political arena has to be drawn out over two full years. It'll be awkward. But you won't hear me complain. I'm the lucky one, the one who gets to keep the house.

"Anything you do can be fixed. What you cannot fix is the perfection of a blank page. What you cannot fix is that pristine, unsullied whiteness of a screen or a page with nothing on it—because there’s nothing there to fix."
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 24 2016 12:53:46

Piwin

quote:

Even though you have to reliquish your British Citizenship to Spain, a British citizen can never renounce their citizenship so what happens is that UK citizens get their passports sent to the UK government, who then send it back to you so that you in effect have dual nationality.

Makes sense
When I was growing up, some friends of mine from German parents (living in France) had to go through the harrowing process of choosing a country upon reaching 18 years of age. I think Germany has changed its policy since though and that Germans can now hold dual citizenship.

After the November 13th attacks in Paris, one of the things the French government proposed was to target dual citizens (didn't seem to matter that none of the attackers save one were all French with no other nationality to speak of...). Fortunately the bill never passed. What was interesting was the reaction of people who didn't understand the outcry of dual citizens against this bill. The main idea was that dual citizens have more passports, so they are therefore "privileged". They don't seem to have understood that it also means filling out two tax statements each year, paying more in taxes upfront than what you actually owe until both countries get it right and reimburse you, not being able to purchase any property because you'd have to pay property taxes in both countries, etc. etc. (just for my own case as dual citizen France-USA, but it varies depending on the countries involved).

"Anything you do can be fixed. What you cannot fix is the perfection of a blank page. What you cannot fix is that pristine, unsullied whiteness of a screen or a page with nothing on it—because there’s nothing there to fix."
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 24 2016 13:16:40

Pimientito

RE: UK votes out of the EU (in reply to Piwin

quote:

They don't seem to have understood that it also means filling out two tax statements each year, paying more in taxes upfront than what you actually owe

Thats because of the USA passport that you have. The IRS will never let you go!!! In Europe you are taxed in the country of residence regardless of your passport

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 24 2016 13:36:19

Piwin

Ha. Yeah the IRS is as relentless as they come!
About being taxed in the country of residence, doesn't that apply just in the EU? In other words, two years down the line, if you become a Spanish citizen but can't officially relinquish your UK citizenship and the UK is no longer in the EU, I wonder what would happen then tax wise...
Worst case scenario, you could see if Mexico still has some money left and make them pay to build a wall around Andalucia to keep the British tax collectors out

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 24 2016 14:10:03

BarkellWH

The UK's departure from the EU is, on balance, a mistake to be sure, in my opinion. I would rather have seen a vote to remain. Nevertheless, If I were British I would not be too quick to assume another nationality and give up my British citizenship. Stranger things have happened, and after everything is sorted out it may not be as bad as some think. World stock markets are experiencing volatility as a result, but my guess is they will calm down and stabilize. While international trade deals, tariffs, and other aspects of Britain's economic relationships with both the EU and the rest of the world will have to be negotiated (renegotiated), it may take time but can be done.

While the main complaint on immigration has been directed against members of recent EU members (Poles, Rumanians, Bulgarians, Albanians, etc.), I think there was a large fear-factor that Brussels would impose a quota of illegal migrants from Syria, Afghanistan, Iraq, and various African countries (many of whom are economic migrants, not refugees) on Britain in trying to distribute the load among EU countries. This fear may have been fanned by right-wing xenophobes, but I don't think it was totally irrational among many in the British public.

From my point of view, the three most important consequences of the UK vote are:

A. It may well lead to the break-up of the UK, with Scotland leaving, followed by the possibility of Wales and Northern Ireland following suit.

B. It may accelerate a movement to leave the EU among other countries dissatisfied with Brussels, eventually leading to the dissolution of the EU.

C. From a strictly US foreign policy viewpoint, the US loses a voice within the EU, provided by Britain, advocating policies on which both the US and UK jointly agree.

In any case this certainly is a historic move that may have far-reaching negative implications. Or maybe not. It will be interesting to see how it all sorts out.

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 24 2016 17:15:14

El Kiko

RE: UK votes out of the EU (in reply to BarkellWH

Living here in Ireland , the UK leaving is a massive problem ...
Because of the border ...the only land border ..took years to get it down and now one can move freely , but its a gonna be a EU to nonEU border ..it will be up again ... and thats what everyone here , north and south are dead against ..as it makes the last 20 years or more of negotiation and trouble all a waste of time ....
I really believe that many people that voted to leave were perhaps just seeing one aspect , and not looking at the big picture and things that would affect them , but not immediately ...

I also think that when the ball starts rolling , a lot of people will regret the changes that they may not want , and would vote differently if they could go back and do it again ...
This is gonna be a real problem ....course Nigel Farage and his ''independance day '' is right into all this,, its his moment and the NF will be right there to cheer him on ...until it al goes wrong ....wont be long ..that

quote:

am going to apply for an Irish passport through my ancestors

Ill put a good word in for you in Dublin when Im up there ....Jamesons whiskey may help you in your quest ..

Don't trust Atoms.....they make up everything.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 24 2016 17:44:47

Piwin

RE: UK votes out of the EU (in reply to El Kiko

quote:

I also think that when the ball starts rolling , a lot of people will regret the changes that they may not want , and would vote differently if they could go back and do it again ...

You're giving people too much credit. I think they'll find something or someone else to blame. Anything else than themselves and their own decisions.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 24 2016 19:53:29

Escribano

RE: UK votes out of the EU (in reply to BarkellWH

quote:

If I were British I would not be too quick to assume another nationality and give up my British citizenship

One cannot give up British citizenship.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 24 2016 21:38:01

El Kiko

you dont have to anyway ...I have more than one passport ....they're not mutually exclusive ,,if you have mixed parents and birth places etc .. its perfectly legal to have a few nationalities and equal rights in more than one country

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 24 2016 21:43:12

Piwin

quote:

its perfectly legal to have a few nationalities and equal rights in more than one country

As far as I know, it depends on the countries involved. Most western countries have made it easier to hold dual citizenship over the last few decades, but it all depends on the bi/multilateral agreements in place plus the domestic legislation of each country.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 24 2016 21:48:38

El Kiko

within Europe I should have typed .....your too quick ...but i think outside as well ..like australia and USA, canada etc ...surely

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 24 2016 21:50:41

Escribano

quote:

like australia and USA

Correct, if from mixed parentage etc.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 24 2016 21:56:22

Piwin

Even within the EU it varies from country to country. I think Denmark made dual citizenship possible just last year. Before that it was entirely forbidden. Estonia and Norway still forbid it. Then you have odd rules, like Spain who grants dual citizenship to any Sephardi Jew, no matter what their other nationality is. Most EU countries do allow it though. I think Ireland is somewhat unique in that they almost encourage dual citizenship. Then you have those countries like Austria and the Netherlands where you're stripped of your citizenship if you voluntarily obtain another (if Pimientito were Austrian and applied for Spanish citizenship, he'd lose his Austrian citizenship automatically). If a Spanish citizen acquires another nationality, they also lose their Spanish citizenship after a certain number of years depending on various factors, i.e. they don't loose it if it's a country with which Spain has a dual citizenship agreement and/or if the person requests to keep their Spanish citizenship. Anyways, yeah in general it's a safe bet that you can have dual citizenship in the EU and most western countries, but even there there are quite a few exceptions.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 24 2016 22:11:18

El Kiko

just to be awkward .....
what if I lived in a country that that did not recognise dual citizenship , maybe Venezuela , but had 3 valid passports , even though none of them were Vanezuelan ...?/would they recognise them ? even though its against their law ? but cant make you give up a nationality thats not theirs ....
.sorry ..just typing out loud ...

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 24 2016 22:37:48

tijeretamiel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pimientito

A Uk citizen can get Spanish citizenship if they have lived in Spain as a tax resident for 10 years, have no criminal record and can prove they speak Spanish and have integrated into Spanish society (which might prove a problem for half the Marbella residents)

That makes the most right wing UK politicians seem left wing.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 24 2016 22:47:36

Piwin

Hum.. I honestly don't know. Whenever I've lived abroad, I've only used one of my passports. As far as the Spanish are concerned, I'm French (which just made the process of getting set up here a whole lot easier than if I'd used my US passport) and I'm not going to try my luck by throwing in another citizenship. I think it'd be like throwing a pebble in a small cog than then leads to the entire machine blowing-up.
In the scenario you describe, I'm trying to think of a situation where that would even come up. I mean sure, if you applied for Venezuelan citizenship, it'd come up, but otherwise... And what happens if you get caught smuggling drugs out of Venezuela and you have 3 passports. Where do they extradite you to???

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 24 2016 23:00:48

El Kiko

yeah i should have thought about my drug smuggling trip to Venezuela a bit more first ...maybe i get a choice of extradition ...or ..eeny , meny , miney ...
assuming I get caught ...taking the drugs to a nordic country that also does not recognise more than one of my passports ...
honestly , its getting so difficult to make a living as a normal , down to earth drug smuggler these days ...persecuted for having dual nationality , I am...

Bloody EU ...

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 24 2016 23:16:52

timoteo

quote:

I am going to apply for an Irish passport through my ancestors, but I am not convinced there will be an EU by then.

How about you move to Canada and then when Trump gets elected those of us from the US can join you? http://cbiftrumpwins.com/#intro

We could establish a new community of flamenco aficionados - Escribano for mayor!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 25 2016 0:15:33

Dudnote

A very sad day. Especially when you look at the generation gap in voting behaiour.
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-36619342

Ay compañerita de mi alma
tú ahora no me conoces.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 25 2016 3:58:26

Piwin

Ugh. And don't get me going on the EU and human trafficking. Free circulation of goods they said... And now it's almost impossible for an honest human trafficker such as myself to make a living...

Sheesh.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 25 2016 8:05:25

Piwin

RE: UK votes out of the EU (in reply to timoteo

quote:

How about you move to Canada and then when Trump gets elected those of us from the US can join you? http://cbiftrumpwins.com/#intro

Trump or no Trump we should all go live in Cap Breton. The Acadians rock!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 25 2016 8:46:58

machopicasso

quote:

Sorry guys, we did our best but I feel further from my friends in Europe than ever.

Sorry it didn't work out, man. Thanks for trying. Hopefully, the activism in support of Remain will contribute to something better down the road.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 25 2016 10:15:50
Page:   [1] 2    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post