Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Saddle intonation and string buzz   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

JasonM

Saddle intonation and string buzz 

I'm about to cut a new saddle, but the existing saddle doesn't have a clearly defined break angle to reference as in where the strings touch . It's kind of rounded at the treble end, and I'm hoping to eliminate some buzz from The treble strings ocurring at the saddle, and they kind of have a dull sound. I think the Intonation is ok. But a flamenco friend remarked that something was off with the G string especially.

Any guidance on how I shape the top of the saddle? I know this topic has been covered a lot, but the old saddle seems a bit worn out to just make a carbon copy.

I might see if I can take a pic or some video.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 23 2016 20:39:08

jshelton5040

RE: Saddle intonation and string buzz (in reply to JasonM

Before you make a new saddle why don't you just put a shim under the one you have and see what happens?

John Shelton - www.sheltonfarrettaguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 24 2016 0:58:47

Leñador

quote:

Before you make a new saddle why don't you just put a shim under the one you have and see what happens?

My friend wanted better action and sanded his saddle too far down and it buzzed a ton, I put a flat toothpick under it and there it stays. Worked like a charm.
When I went to install an LR bags anthem in my guitar I popped the saddle off and found it had a rosewood shim under it, the previous owner had German Vasquez do a set up on it, I'm guessing he put it there, what a classy shim! Lolol it was luckily the exact thickness as the piezo.

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 24 2016 2:17:06

Cervantes

I have made exactly one saddle but it turned out pretty well.
I would measure the string height at the 12th fret and see how much each string needs to change, or just check the high and low E string and make the saddle a straight sloping line between them. If the G string intonation is off (I think usually it is sharp) then you need to add compensation to the saddle by putting a ramp in it so the G string contacts the saddle further back. I will be making another one soon as I have a new guitar and the bass strings are too low with excessive buzz.

Ah well, there was a fantastic passion there, in my case anyway. I discovered flamenco
very early on. It grips you in a way that you can't get away - Paco Pena
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 24 2016 3:58:07

JasonM

RE: Saddle intonation and string buzz (in reply to Cervantes

My action is about 2.7mm/2.3mm as best I can measure. I guess I'm wondering if the top of the saddle is the culprit, or the lack of a nice ramp. Normally the string contacts the apex of the ramp and then tapers back a little towards the tie block correct?

I made a saddle a while back wnere I raised the trebles a hair, but I lowered the bass too much. I can't remember what effect it had, but recently I noticed the break angle was too shallow so I drilled a 12 hole tie block and that made an improvement.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 24 2016 17:25:11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post