Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Catch the flamenco player on Sky Arts?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Goldwinghai

RE: Catch the flamenco player on Sky... (in reply to Escribano

I just went to one of his shows in London last month. I really enjoyed his show and thought his flamenco playing was excellent.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 19 2016 21:25:59

mark indigo

RE: Catch the flamenco player on Sky... (in reply to Goldwinghai

the vid of ramon is edited really badly, you can tell each tiny segment is ok on it's own, but stuck together sounds really bad. should be something like this

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 19 2016 23:21:31

Piwin

RE: Catch the flamenco player on Sky... (in reply to mark indigo

It'd be interesting to see the unedited version of what he played on the show. I don't know if there is anything he could do about it now but the editing is appalling. Having never heard of him before, when I first listened it sounded like he had zero sense of compas when clearly he does, as seen in these other vids.
At the very least, now I know this is a show I don't want to watch...

"Anything you do can be fixed. What you cannot fix is the perfection of a blank page. What you cannot fix is that pristine, unsullied whiteness of a screen or a page with nothing on it—because there’s nothing there to fix."
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 20 2016 3:42:32

Ricardo

RE: Catch the flamenco player on Sky... (in reply to Piwin

We can bombard the show with email complaints about the editing of Ramon Ruiz video, and demand the editor be burned at the stake?

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 20 2016 6:11:51

Piwin

RE: Catch the flamenco player on Sky... (in reply to Ricardo

Or, to use Dudnote's idea, we could demand that his "genitalia be mutilated by hordes of rabid mongoose from now until the end of eternity".

I looked around for an email address and can't seem to find any way of reaching them.
If however one of the members who know Ramon thought it was appropriate to bring it up with him and suggest writing or co-signing some kind of letter of complaint to support him, I'd be on-board with that. Though I guess nowadays the more effect ways of getting results would be through hashtags and facebook messages but I haven't got around to joining those plateforms yet.

"Anything you do can be fixed. What you cannot fix is the perfection of a blank page. What you cannot fix is that pristine, unsullied whiteness of a screen or a page with nothing on it—because there’s nothing there to fix."
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 20 2016 15:40:23

orsonw

RE: Catch the flamenco player on Sky... (in reply to Piwin

I emailed Ramon he hasn't seen it yet.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 20 2016 18:24:53

Ramon

RE: Catch the flamenco player on Sky... (in reply to orsonw

Hi Guys. It is really comforting to hear your support. I may have been a little nervous but the overall performance was quite good and the reaction of the audience even better! However, the editing was worse than amateur. It almost makes me think that it was deliberate. They cut out all the good sections and left a disjointed performance out of compas and without a structure. I sent a complaint to the producer but as expected they haven't replied. There is not much I can do at this stage because the programe has already gone on air. I just have to put up with the embarrassment and hope that is dent damage my career....
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 22 2016 21:52:49

Leñador

RE: Catch the flamenco player on Sky... (in reply to Goldwinghai

You indeed got robbed a bit. Maybe you can seek compensation on the grounds of loss of income due to misrepresentation? All your other videos look great man, ole tu!

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 22 2016 23:26:34

Ricardo

RE: Catch the flamenco player on Sky... (in reply to Ramon

Flamenco police need to go harass the editor of that one. The other guy really hacked through, but the cute girl tapping her acoustic noodles didn't get cut up like that.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 23 2016 4:06:56

Piwin

The way they edited your performance, disjointed and with no idea of compas, but also the fact that they clearly didn't have a judge in any capacity whatsoever to judge a flamenco performance (I'm also referring to the other flamenco performance mentioned in this thread where they somehow found it amazing..) shows a deep lack of respect towards the music, rather ironic for a music show.
If there's any way you think we can help, by writing in or whatever, I'm happy to do so.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 23 2016 8:02:01

Blondie#2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ramon
Hi Guys. It is really comforting to hear your support. I may have been a little nervous but the overall performance was quite good and the reaction of the audience even better! However, the editing was worse than amateur. It almost makes me think that it was deliberate. They cut out all the good sections and left a disjointed performance out of compas and without a structure.

Personally I doubt it was deliberate, and more a case of the editor being completely clueless on any meaningful 'start' and 'end' to the cut due to lack of knowledge of the compas (which is to be expected). Without any appreciation of structure they dive in randomly with the end result you describe above.

Caught your show in Totnes a few years ago, great stuff. We don't get much authentic flamenco in the westcountry.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 23 2016 8:26:07
Page:   <<   <   1 [2]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post