Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Tom's tutorial Manuel Reyes Flamenco negra   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 2 [3] 4 5    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Tom Blackshear

RE: Tom's tutorial Manuel Reyes Flam... (in reply to SephardRick

Rick,

I am basically off this list since I think it is time for me to give more respect to the younger builders here and retire from any of what may be considered a competitive building practice.

And although I'll continue to build, I know there has to be a balance in mutual respect for peoples feelings. And it is for this reason I wish all the best for this list.

I just got an e-mail today from one of Savage music company's sales to a fellow who took the guitar to Richard Brune to have an upgrade on the tuning machines.

I thought you would find this interesting:

Hi Mr. Blackshear,

I write you every so often to thank you for making this great guitar.
Anyway thought you would get a kick out of this. I took it to Richard
Brune's shop to have him check it over and put some Rodgers tuners on it.
So I gave it to him to play and he was blown away :) Thought it was a
stupendous guitar as I do. I have never heard it played by someone else
so that was a real treat, what a great guitar. So his son Marshall comes
into the shop in the back and can't see us and comes to the showroom and
goes what the heck is that awesome guitar. He thought it was one from
their collection, which I am sure you know Richard has some of the best
guitars ever made in his collection.

Anyway thought you would like to know.

Thanks again for all the years of dedication to your art which has allowed
me to have such a fine instrument. And yes I only use Daddario EJ46's :)

Eric

Tom Blackshear Guitar maker
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 2 2017 15:51:48

Joan Maher

RE: Tom's tutorial Manuel Reyes Flam... (in reply to Tom Blackshear

It's looking very nice Tom - look forward to hearing it.

Gracias!

Joan Josep Maher
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 2 2017 20:49:52

SephardRick

Tom,

The right people are appreciating your talent - The vendors, who market guitars.

Speaking of Savage Guitars, last year Rich Savage told me this personally about your guitars:

"...Tom is uniquely talented in all of his builds. Excellent guitars regardless of flamenco or classical genre. Best and thanks for taking the time to comment.."

I, for one, will stay tuned to your web page for updates.

Rick
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 2 2017 21:53:52

chicagoguitar

small world. I had Brune install Rodgers tuners on my Blackshear a few years back. It is the Reyes build with a cedar top. Several pros have played it and really like the guitar. It has such a sweet lyrical voice.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 3 2017 16:54:54

FERREREZAKI

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Blackshear

Rick,

I am basically off this list since I think it is time for me to give more respect to the younger builders here and retire from any of what may be considered a competitive building practice.

I was afraid it was going to end like that.
But I can understand your decision though. I think the rude attitude you've suffered is nothing but pure envy.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 3 2017 18:37:51

SephardRick

RE: Tom's tutorial Manuel Reyes Flam... (in reply to FERREREZAKI

Hopefully not.

We have seen other builders leave and return after being absolutely brutal to each other. Someone gets their feelings hurt and leave. Yet, in a few months they return. We all have one thing in common - Our love for Flamenco. There are not too many web sites dedicated to it.

Think about it for a second...Here, we have as members perhaps the greatest constructors and technical players coming together at this web page. Fortunately for all, Simon is a prince of a guy providing use of this site.

So, Tom probably needs space for now. This place is just too special to shunt. My bet is he'll return just as interesting and informative as ever.

Rick
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 3 2017 20:07:06

Tom Blackshear

quote:

Fortunately for all, Simon is a prince of a guy providing use of this site.

Thanks guys for your encouragement, and Simon should be applauded for all the fine work he has done with this forum.

I'm not offended at all from the banter of certain members, it's all a matter of playful back and forth that cannot be helped; with a group of guys who are passionate about their work.

So hang in there Amigos. Enjoy this forum for all its many benefits.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 3 2017 20:57:49

Escribano

I do it for my late friends Guy Williams and Ron Mitchell, and all the others who are passionate about the things that I believe really matter. Friendship, love, romance, travel and humour amongst others. This place is always open to those who don't abuse it.

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 3 2017 21:27:30

Tom Blackshear

RE: Tom's tutorial Manuel Reyes Flam... (in reply to Escribano

Simon,

I noticed that you are in what appears to be a locomotive picture. Were you an engineer?

I had an uncle who was an engineer in Alabama who was called at three in the morning to take the train from Montgomery to Selma and back. Later he found out that he transported Al Capone that leg of the journey, going to Alcatraz prison in California.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 3 2017 23:10:08

Escribano

quote:

Simon,

I noticed that you are in what appears to be a locomotive picture. Were you an engineer?

I had an uncle who was an engineer in Alabama who was called at three in the morning to take the train from Montgomery to Selma and back. Later he found out that he transported Al Capone that leg of the journey, going to Alcatraz prison in California.

No, I am afraid I am not. That is a recent photo that I took on a local steam line and I like the metaphor for my role here.

Cool story. The railroad is synonymous with your culture. It literally created modern America. I like the stories about the railroad workers naming geographic features and the new railroad stops along the way. Most of them are unmentionable

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 4 2017 9:46:16

Ricardo

Imagine if Felipe and Mariano Conde were members here and posted their opinions. They wouldn't last 5 minutes

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 4 2017 16:04:55

SephardRick

RE: Tom's tutorial Manuel Reyes Flam... (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

if Felipe and Mariano Conde were members here and posted their opinions. They

Ha! Ha!

That would be a volatile mix!

Rick
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 4 2017 16:30:48

estebanana

RE: Tom's tutorial Manuel Reyes Flam... (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

Imagine if Felipe and Mariano Conde were members here and posted their opinions. They wouldn't last 5 minutes

And why should they? The Conde's should face charges before the International War Crimes Against Good Taste Commission at The Hague.

The violin makers painstakingly create deep oil varnishes that are colored with sublime nuance, but the C Bros. pump in Orange Dye #37 and they are geniuses!

Tom,

You obviously have a following of members who support your work, it would be a shame to make them race all over the internet so they can keep up with your work. Consolidating all the guitar makers work who have spent time cultivating a presence on the Foro makes a lot of sense.

If you are willing to bury the tomahawk in a deep cool hole in the ground, rather than in each others skulls, I'm ready for that. I put forward a gentleman's agreement, that I'll stay off your street corner, and you stay off mine. A partitioning off of the Foro Luthery Section Cease Fire. There is plenty of space on the Foro if the boundaries of the themes and Personal Topical posts are respected. There's always enough blame to fill an auditorium should someone want to speak and assign fault, so I propose also we move on from that.

I'm not of the the school or opinion that makers of things have to be in lockstep *kumbaya feel good* relations with one another 100% of the time. It's unrealistic. Whatever personal misinterpretations or dislikes I have about our personality differences should not contribute to the Foro missing out on your contribution. The cohesion of the whole engine is more important than a few spare parts that squeak. As Mr. Spock would say "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." If I have misspoken and given myself too much credit for driving you away I'm sorry, but I suspect that you are smarting from our last exchange.

It's not time for you to deliver the 'Nixon -Checkers' speech just yet.

In artistic respect,

Stephen

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 5 2017 3:43:14

Anders Eliasson

Very good Stephen. I agree.

Let TomB and his followers have their little get-together and we´ll all be happy.
I have more or less given up on foro flamencos luthiery section because of the behaviour of the very same "club". But if that changes, I believe I will participate some more again.

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 5 2017 7:40:02

pundi64

RE: Tom's tutorial Manuel Reyes Flam... (in reply to Anders Eliasson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anders Eliasson

Very good Stephen. I agree.

Let TomB and his followers have their little get-together and we´ll all be happy.
I have more or less given up on foro flamencos luthiery section because of the behaviour of the very same "club". But if that changes, I believe I will participate some more again.

Yes I remember. I do not blame you, it is a tight nit group to say the least, a chosen few, only speak their peace and crap on the other people trying to use the forum for what it is intended to be used for, information from every body' and not name calling other .s point of view
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 5 2017 8:35:49

Tom Blackshear

RE: Tom's tutorial Manuel Reyes Flam... (in reply to estebanana

quote:

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." If I have misspoken and given myself too much credit for driving you away I'm sorry, but I suspect that you are smarting from our last exchange.

Steve,

I love you man, and I've always tried to lift you up with your building practice. I was going to leave the forum due to my own thoughts about spending too much time posting about my work. I gave you a friendly butt slap about Eugene Clark in parting, that's all.

So you guys enjoy.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 5 2017 12:24:06

yourwhathurts69

I really appreciate input from all of our Luthier members. All of you have been a wonderful source of knowledge for me regarding flamenco guitars, and I really hope all of you will continue to contribute. The forum is very fortunate to have so many experienced buildings who are willing to share their different viewpoints for the benefit of all members.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 5 2017 14:29:23

Tom Blackshear

RE: Tom's tutorial Manuel Reyes Flam... (in reply to yourwhathurts69

quote:

I really appreciate input from all of our Luthier members. All of you have been a wonderful source of knowledge for me regarding flamenco guitars, and I really hope all of you will continue to contribute.

I hope we will be able to accommodate you and the other members with this ideal.

Personally, I have reached the end of much of my association here, as my main idea was to share some of my fine-tuning techniques with the list members. My thrust was to level the playing field for all guitar builders, with these techniques, from Mexico to the farthest reaches of Spain and Europe.

I've pretty much been able to accomplish this information and I am now happy to give it a rest and continue to build my guitars, as most other master builders are doing with-in their own business's.

My visit and work here was planned to identify certain rudimentary and fundamental ways in which to share my techniques. And I think this speaks of this list as being no different in human reactions but certainly showing its valid content for its readers.

Concerning Social-anthropological concepts, we have quite a bit of that to deal with and in this genre there is a necessity to be skilled in our conversations so as not to wash out the basic ideal that needs to be the forefront of the message; namely guitars.

I wish everyone here a pleasant continuation with the hope that you go from strength to strength with one of the greatest sources of flamenco information on this planet, to date.

http://tomblackshearguitarbuilder.weebly.com/

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 6 2017 15:10:28

Tom Blackshear

For those who follow my building practice:

I am putting my home up for sale the first of this July 2017 so I'm packing for the move. I may be able to finish the 1987 Reyes style flamenco or it may have to wait until I move into a new place.

House hunting is for the birds but we need to scale down quite a bit to get ready for retirement.

It's been a fun 55+years working in this business and I hope to keep building; even a scaled down practice that has given me much enjoyment throughout the years.

Salutos Amigos.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 25 2017 17:40:59

FERREREZAKI

Good luck with the move, Tom.

55+ years experience is impressive and well proved by your work and will of course be missed by people who admire lutherie.

So, even if scaling down, I hope you keep building and sharing your knowledge....
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 27 2017 20:29:57

SephardRick

Tom,

Thanks for checking in. As we get older, it is prudent to plan for the decline in different areas of life. So, I understand your situation, planning for retirement. Hope things go well for you and your family.

-Rick

Rick
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 28 2017 12:38:42

Tom Blackshear

It's a hot housing market in San Antonio right now, with 20% increase in the past few months. The realtor thinks our home will sell the first week....Oh BOY! Now, where do we go?

I think the 1987 Reyes style will have to wait to be finished until we find another house.

And like Brian implied the other day, at our age it's best for us to finish the guitar and then call around to see who wants it. I've been doing this for quite some time now and it seems to work for me.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 30 2017 10:34:55

Tom Blackshear

The housing market is good but the realistic ideal may be that it will sell at a slower pace, so this means I might have a chance to finish out the guitar before moving.

Right now I'm working on a proprietary idea that will cause the sound to gain a natural reverb sensation. This should gain some presentation in treble sustain, etc.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 8 2017 14:49:46

Tom Blackshear

I'll be getting back to some building in about 1 week and will try to journal it on the list through the finished product, if possible.

If I don't sell the home then I'll make some small improvements and retire here, with the kids to pass this on too.

This situation has been educational for me, I've learned a lot about the real-estate market already. And like they say, it's not how many people view the property, it only takes one to buy it.

http://realestate.sabor.com/homes-for-sale/17303-Springhill-Dr-San-Antonio-TX-78232-207582548

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 20 2017 12:44:59

Tom Blackshear

OK, back in the saddle again...

Just doing some scraping on the sides to smooth things out, and tomorrow I'll try and start the routing process for the binding/purfling.

If I can maintain steady timing, things should go faster with the finish up for the bridge and fingerboard.

This particular guitar is an interesting project, as it has a pattern akin to Amigo's 1987 Reyes style and some new innovation in tonal production that I'm very excited about.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 24 2017 19:36:54

Tom Blackshear

Just finishing up with the binding/purfling and will show the work later today. The guitar is going well, so far, and I hope to sand the top and install the bridge early next week.
It seems that people are still viewing my website with 100,079.

Actually here is the latest view for the guitar at:

http://tomblackshearguitarbuilder.weebly.com/current-construction.html

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 12 2017 14:52:02

Tom Blackshear

Just a heads up that there will be some more pics today, as my wife loads them on the Internet.

The top is about ready to sand but I have some sanding to do on the sides and back before I get to the top.

Everything, so far, is good. This thing has taken so much time that I'm almost afraid to finish it out. Oh well, fools rush in where angels fear to tread.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 26 2017 14:40:44

Tom Blackshear

wife loaded one pic with sanding the side.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 26 2017 17:12:25

Tom Blackshear

A Practice bridge was just installed to test the sound... and the fingerboard is next.

Should be able to find out the tonal quality in a week or two.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 2 2017 20:05:27

Jeff H

Hi Tom,

Jeff here in So. Oregon,

I am hoping you are not in the midst of Harvey's path and all is going well.

I understand your situation, understood by those of us who have more yesterdays
than tomorrows.
We likewise are paring down, and am loath to part with a 40 plus year collection of
wood and tools.

Our real estate market has been "hot" owing to dope growers coming here from all
over the US..

And just when we decided to leave (11 1/2 acres) and put our house up for sale,
announced yesterday....
the county is banning future dope farms on rural residential property.
As a result, we have taken a 20 % hit in the price.

Maybe we'll just stay and grow dope.. far more profitable than legitimate work.

For your current build, are you going to use a Brazilian rosewood bridge?

Jeff

PS..
And best wishes for all of you caught up by Harvey. Hang in there.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 3 2017 22:55:57
Page:   <<   <   1 2 [3] 4 5    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 2 [3] 4 5    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post