Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Drying Ebony   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Stu

Drying Ebony 

Hi folks
So I'm almost finally getting a round to fixing my sketchy, warped fingerboard (I've written about it here)

I have a new piece of ebony (bought from Madinter)
but im scared to start. I had advice from a luthier that I should dry the ebony myself before I use it (so i know exactly what im working with), and I'm sure he mentioned a method involving radiators and news paper....( imay be mistaken though)

What do I need to consider when starting to work with wood bought from an online supplier? I don't have a drying room just a humble workshop.

I want to fix my guitar and dont want to have an even worse situation in few months cos the wood wasnt ready to use.

does that make sense??

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Stu
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 4 2016 12:06:37

jshelton5040

RE: Drying Ebony (in reply to Stu

Ebony takes a long time to cure. I prefer to let it sit in my workshop for several years before considering it safe to use.

If you want to buy fingerboard material that is ready to use I'd suggest a piece of the synthetic stuff. There are a couple of manufacturers who make fingerboards with resin, wood fiber and black dye. I've read that it is indistinguishable from ebony and extremely stable. I plan to try it myself soon.

Here's a link to one supplier: http://rctonewoods.com/RCT_Store/rocklite-ebano-c-174/?zenid=o40n9lsku9i886aumtn2gnt8f7

John Shelton - www.sheltonfarrettaguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 4 2016 14:05:34

Stephen Eden

RE: Drying Ebony (in reply to Stu

Dave dyke in the UK has dry ebony. He uses a kiln to dry it. I think I remember him saying he leaves it in there for at least a year year. Apart from the usual winter shrinkage on newer instruments I've never jade any other issues with it.

Classical and Flamenco Guitars www.EdenGuitars.co.uk
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 4 2016 19:22:42
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote