Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

This will be of no interst to flamenco people* video fixed   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

estebanana

This will be of no interst to flamen... 

A guitar in the series on Hot off the Bench videos I ma making.

This a classical guitar built on my small 'Torres' pattern a small body 18.5" long. The scale is 640 mm.

Of course no flamenco person in his right mind would be interested in a small classical guitar with a cutaway made of un-Godly wood like maple.....etc.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 31 2016 12:46:43

SephardRick

RE: This will be of no interst to fl... (in reply to estebanana

Interesting...

I always like seeing your innovative designs, Stephen. That build you did last year with colorful angular details was and still is my favorite all time design. I know I'm just one person, but I am major fan of your work.

Hope to see more soon...

Rick

Rick
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 31 2016 13:57:26

Leñador

Keep getting a playback error :/
Sounds pretty interesting though!

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 31 2016 18:32:29

Richard Jernigan

"An error occurred. Please try again later. (Playback ID:01LIJv0mJeMYX7LB)"

I tried later. Same deal.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 31 2016 19:58:06

Stephen Eden

yeah same here. I just looked at the video on his channel instead.

Nice looking guitar and great sound too. Good to hear it's an order too. I am sure your customer will be delighted.

Classical and Flamenco Guitars www.EdenGuitars.co.uk
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 31 2016 20:17:13

El Kiko

RE: This will be of no interst to fl... (in reply to Richard Jernigan

"An error occurred. Please try again later.....me too
a bit like a comment on my guitar playing

Don't trust Atoms.....they make up everything.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 31 2016 22:42:59

JuanDaBomb

I tried to also view it via your YouTube channel link in your sig, but that doesn't work either!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 31 2016 23:44:44

estebanana

Ok thank you everyone who sent the message that it played an error message.

All disinterested parties can now watch the video of non flamenco content.
And as per usual I declaim the disclaimer that the sound is sub par and that I am saving for a new recording device. However @ 1:45 you can still hear good treble quality.

Thank you for your disinterest, it is greatly appreciated.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 1 2016 0:42:03

Leñador

It's sexy! I really dig the maple look. Is the small scale typical of bossa nova classicals or was that a special request? I have trouble discerning 650-660 by sight alone but that 640 seems noticeable.

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 1 2016 2:12:49

estebanana

Thank you Lenny for your severe and unrelenting disinterest! LOL

The maple was a request, and as for a " bossa nova guitar" that was just me saying to the customer this one will work for your kind of music.

He ordered the small scale because he wanted it to be similar in length to his string guitars, he has a few old Martins which he mainly plays. This is his first nylon guitar. I stayed small on the nut width as he directed and the string width at the saddle.

The only difficulty I have with smaller scale guitars is the bass E string, they don't quite get enough tension for my taste and can be a wee bit wobbly and take to much of an excursion. They can swing wide due t less tension, I put high tension E's and regular tension for the rest of the set on shorter scales.

It has a small guitar sound, but by that I mean not expansive and big and wooly. It is compact, tight, but has a lot of power and guts. It's also metallic not soft and cottony. I think the metallic part is important and the initial tightness and compact sound. All that opens later and if it is loose to begin with you get a mushburger guitar a year later. The upper mid area of the fret board I feel develops slowly and I don't mind if it is slightly closed now. It will ring open later. I've gotten to the point were I have confidence to build tight and know that it will open significantly. One knucklehead bought a guitar from me and rejected it 15 minutes after it was strung up. Then played it for three days and thought is was a dog. That was foolish because that guitar will turn into a little monster, but someone will have to play it for 6 months to a year. That kind of snap judgment used to put me off my game, but I learned not to listen to it. Some guys just refuse to believe that guitars change as you play them, that's too bad.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 1 2016 3:49:00

Leñador

That certainly makes sense, I suppose that's why someone's making money selling "guitar opener upper" devices. This lil guy already seems to be pretty powerful though.

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 1 2016 4:30:32

gerundino63

Very nice guitar Stephen!

Sounds very good for the purpose.

Maple is very flamenco! in the old days it was used a lot.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 1 2016 9:51:56

BarkellWH

This disinterested party always appreciates your builds and the ways you accommodate and compensate for certain features. Clever that the 640 bass E string swings wide, and you compensate for that by stringing the bass E with high tension, leaving the rest medium. I followed with great interest the progress of the Bulgarian Tambura you built a few years ago. Keep up the interesting and exotic work, maestro. Disinterested parties want to know.

Cheers,

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 1 2016 11:01:59

estebanana

Genundino,

yes indeed I am a fan of Maple, I'm going to make more maple guitars this year, both classical and flamenco. My first guitar was maple back in 1998, and several since then. Most people love maple guitars. Santos also made a fair number of maple guitars.

Bill,

Speaking of projects my Arco Seco the baritone guitar tuned in fifths had to take a back seat to finishing the maple cutaway, but I will have a half day to do finish the fret work and set it back up sometime by the end if next week. I'm going to practice something nice by Bach and try to record it on Yukos macbook pro. It might be a bit better sound.

Next up I get to make two Santos copies, the gravy work I love making Santos' - Barbero pattern guitars I'm going to base them on the 1924 Santos Steve Kahn allowed me to study in 2012. I'm going to show some of that project soon.

Until then I look forward to a return to the US hopefully in the Fall or early Winter to visit and show guitars. Perhaps we should book ahead at the DC Alphonso Trece Hotel and make sure we are ushered into the Jernigan Suite so we can check up on those cold young ladies whom El Sr. has so kindly allowed to warm up in his namesake suite of rooms.

Thank you both for your continued and supportive disinterest!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 1 2016 13:22:07

BarkellWH

quote:

Perhaps we should book ahead at the DC Alphonso Trece Hotel and make sure we are ushered into the Jernigan Suite so we can check up on those cold young ladies whom El Sr. has so kindly allowed to warm up in his namesake suite of rooms.

My sources tell me that if we were to approach Mr. Jernigan, he might arrange for us to not only have full use of the Jernigan Suite at the Alfonso III, but also to arrange for a showing of your guitars at the Spanish Embassy. Apparently Mr. Jernigan, exercising his usual modesty, has failed to mention that the Spanish Ambassador bestowed upon him "La Cruz Oficial de la Orden de Isabel La Catolica," an honor that admits him to the Order, of which the King of Spain is the Grand Master, and which is the equivalent of a knighthood.

It is a rare honor. The only other recipients of whom I am aware are Paco de Malaga and his wife Ana Martinez, who actually did receive it and were inducted into the Order as members in 2008 for their services in promoting Spanish culture. The services Mr. Jernigan performed for Spain that led to his induction into the Order are shrouded in mystery and probably have something to do with suppressing the Basque separatist movement, although that is just conjecture. One hesitates to probe too deeply into such sensitive matters.

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 1 2016 14:28:47
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages