Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: The Sophistication of Flamenco Guitar   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

BarkellWH

RE: The Sophistication of Flamenco G... (in reply to Paul Magnussen

quote:

Ah! Good old Fernando Sirvent! I remember a record of his getting a rave review from Discus (Jack Duarte) in BMG, which dates me as much as you. Whatever happened to him?

Paul and Richard,

I had vaguely heard of Fernando Sirvent but didn't know much about him. At the time he was playing at the Club Zambra in the early '60s, I was just getting into Carlos Montoya and Sabicas in Phoenix, Arizona.

Nevertheless, although I maintain a healthy skepticism about information culled from the internet, and certainly from Wikipedia (which is often not so much wrong as it is incomplete), I thought I would look up Fernando Sirvent. There is a website founded by Raquel Pena called "Flamenco for All," and there is a page dedicated to Fernando Sirvent. He spent 45 years in the U.S., but returned to Spain when he contracted Alzheimer's Disease. According to the article, he died in 1996.

The article concludes with the paragraphs below.

"Fernando Sirvent has left us with many wonderful recordings, many LPs that are currently being transposed onto CDs - in their time they where all international best sellers. He also was instrumental in the production of three historic records recorded during the 1964 Worlds Fair in New York City. On these recording are the following artists: Fernando Sirvent, Raquel Peña and Juan Maya "Marote", Paco de Antequera, Emilio de Diego (guitarists) and singers, Juan Varea, Pepe el Culata, Calderas, Manolo Vargas and Tomás de Huelva.

"Fernando always played the guitars of José Ramirez; and in memory of Fernando, Ramirez donated one of his top guitars as a prize, in Fernando's name, to an outstanding young guitarist."

Hope this helps to complete the circle of your knowledge of, and association with, Fernando Sirvent. I found out more than I ever knew about him.

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 2 2016 18:44:48

[Deleted] (in reply to Mark2

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 2 2016 19:22:07

Leñador

RE: The Sophistication of Flamenco G... (in reply to BarkellWH

Pedro Sierra hombre! Go back and look at my previous post, he's where it's at.

quote:

Amor nodded, then started talking about her dance students. "These American girls," she said, "they always say they want to express themselves!. They don't understand that flamenco is rules, rules, rules!"

That's awesome, hilarious, and true. lol

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 2 2016 21:49:15

[Deleted] (in reply to Leñador

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 3 2016 8:57:55

Kiko_Roca

RE: The Sophistication of Flamenco G... (in reply to Dudnote

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dudnote
If you haven't got a dancer with you do it yourself (14:00). I gotta try that!!

I hope you have better luck than me!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Leñador
Actually even better this solea por buleria

That was actually the piece of his I wanted to find, but I was rushed. I really like that.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 3 2016 13:07:47

JasonM

RE: The Sophistication of Flamenco G... (in reply to Ricardo

Django was playing jazzy flamenco long before PDL. What made him "jazzy" was throwing in lots of chromatic passing tones to his falsetas and arpeggios, and lots of minor 6 inversions when accompanying or "comping" as the those gitanos called it. Check out his Bulerias Minor Swing.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 25 2016 14:56:08
Page:   <<   <   1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post