Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Harmonic bars   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 2 [3] 4    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Echi

RE: Harmonic bars (in reply to RobJe

Interesting stuff, but at the end of the day each and every guitar is a compromise.
Often it is also a matter of taste as a guitar that maybe play well in theory but it's not very pleasant in fact (as Anders pointed out).
The easiest way is to play as many guitars we can and find the guitar we really like.
After that we can discuss what exactly we like of that guitar.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 14 2016 13:28:53

Richard Jernigan

RE: Harmonic bars (in reply to estebanana

I enjoy handing my favorite flamenca to classical guitarists. The Arcangel Fernandez spruce blanca likes to play flamenco, and nothing else. To most classical guitarists it seems a bit dull at first. But when you use flamenco right hand technique it barks the way you heard Ricardo play it, a while back.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 14 2016 17:29:16

BarkellWH

RE: Harmonic bars (in reply to Richard Jernigan

quote:

I enjoy handing my favorite flamenca to classical guitarists. The Arcangel Fernandez spruce blanca likes to play flamenco, and nothing else. To most classical guitarists it seems a bit dull at first. But when you use flamenco right hand technique it barks....

That is not unusual among well-made flamencas. Flamenco right hand technique, attack, and lack of sustain all combine to create and play the "flamenco" sound, as opposed to the classical sound anticipated by classical guitarists. And if they attempt to play it as if it were a classical guitar, using classical techniques, it will not render a satisfactory tone and sound for either the flamenco enthusiast or the classical enthusiast. Flamenco guitarists should stick with flamencas and classical guitarists should stick with classicals. I think most do.

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 14 2016 17:47:59

Echi

RE: Harmonic bars (in reply to Richard Jernigan

quote:

The Arcangel Fernandez spruce blanca likes to play flamenco, and nothing else. To most classical guitarists it seems a bit dull at first. But when you use flamenco right hand technique it barks the way you heard Ricardo play it, a while back.

I had for a certain time a Manuel Caceres/Arcangel Fernandez very similar to yours.
I actually played and studied it carefully and it plays exactly as in the YouTube video posted by Ricardo.
I think that what you call dullness is just a perfect example of "soft attack" flamenco guitar.
You need to push the note out of the box with your right hand technique.
In this case it's not only about the attack but also about the whole balance as the guitar has a very strong bass range and harmonic content of the note.
I really like it.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 14 2016 18:42:19

RobJe

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at May 14 2016 19:03:45
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 14 2016 18:53:36

RobJe

quote:

so I have hatched this novel plan to ask guitar players about how to build guitars

Faustino Conde might have used dialogue with the great players that hung around the Gravina shop in the 70s. They had the advantage of being able to play and listen as well as talk. This is a great thread but very hard with just words!

I have collected together all the ideas but I am unsure what to do with them.

(1) count how many phrases I think I understand and speculate on whether my understanding is the same as the author.

(2) Use this as a spec for commissioning a new flamenco guitar.

(3) Use it as the basis of a flamenco guitar rap.

punchiness in the basses and lower sustain .. a little stiff and tense .. relax the bass register ..more high partials activated .. flamenco color .. spare and reductive .. enhances the overtones .. boxy, dry, punchy kind of sound .. tone.. flamenco sound .. treble sound .. over tone activity .. fire cracker .. not a LOUD instrument.. an instrument with voice .. speak like great actors, not scream .. raw or sweet in its dynamic range .. inter-dimensional voicing.. loudness and sweetness .. big dynamic range .. vowel tone, like a human voice .. big tough guitars .. tubby sounding .. the open tone .. flamenco edge .. amazing .. low "pulsacion" .. soft attack .. responded crisply .. very nice guitars .. kind of his stamp .. sound .. noticable rumble .. bass production .. bold trebles .. string/nail attack noise .. stiffer articulation .. certain tonal aspects and/or sustain value .. stronger trebles .. very traditional sound .. brighter and stronger .. a firm E string .. powerful .. voice .. sustain .. brightness .. attack .. treble strong pattern .. metallic core sound .. low frequency of the box air .. vibrational modes .. overly bright sound when dying .. stronger mid range .. scooped mids .. brightness and deep punch .. power and projection .. poor articulation .. bass string tight and sturdy .. high frequency activity is not ……. Sympathetic .. out of phase .. higher partials are out of whack .. over active extraneous noise .. healthy round strings .. overtone series ……. out of control .. string overtone generation .. power that is projection .. instant gratification under your ear .. sound enormous 20-30 feet away .. not blown up sound .. penetrating sound .. highly focused at long range .. under the ear not "explosive” .. up close living tonal aspect .. vibration of the guitar's integral parts .. projection by its vowel tone in the middle register .. it barks.

Rap wins I think.

Rob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 14 2016 19:02:19

BarkellWH

quote:

punchiness in the basses and lower sustain .. a little stiff and tense .. relax the bass register ..more high partials activated .. flamenco color .. spare and reductive .. enhances the overtones .. boxy, dry, punchy kind of sound .. tone.. flamenco sound .. treble sound .. over tone activity .. fire cracker .. not a LOUD instrument.. an instrument with voice .. speak like great actors, not scream .. raw or sweet in its dynamic range .. inter-dimensional voicing.. loudness and sweetness .. big dynamic range .. vowel tone, like a human voice .. big tough guitars .. tubby sounding .. the open tone .. flamenco edge .. amazing .. low "pulsacion" .. soft attack .. responded crisply .. very nice guitars .. kind of his stamp .. sound .. noticable rumble .. bass production .. bold trebles .. string/nail attack noise .. stiffer articulation .. certain tonal aspects and/or sustain value .. stronger trebles .. very traditional sound .. brighter and stronger .. a firm E string .. powerful .. voice .. sustain .. brightness .. attack .. treble strong pattern .. metallic core sound .. low frequency of the box air .. vibrational modes .. overly bright sound when dying .. stronger mid range .. scooped mids .. brightness and deep punch .. power and projection .. poor articulation .. bass string tight and sturdy .. high frequency activity is not ……. Sympathetic .. out of phase .. higher partials are out of whack .. over active extraneous noise .. healthy round strings .. overtone series ……. out of control .. string overtone generation .. power that is projection .. instant gratification under your ear .. sound enormous 20-30 feet away .. not blown up sound .. penetrating sound .. highly focused at long range .. under the ear not "explosive” .. up close living tonal aspect .. vibration of the guitar's integral parts .. projection by its vowel tone in the middle register .. it barks.

Actually, Rob, it looks like a coded encryption that you are using to send a secret message to a counterpart who has the decryption book at his end. You are using the Foro as a conduit to send secret codes to your fellow conspirators, and this is the encrypted code for Saturday, May 14, 2016.

Bill

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 14 2016 21:17:30

estebanana

RE: Harmonic bars (in reply to Echi

The flamenco enigma machine

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 15 2016 0:19:17

estebanana

quote:

(3) Use it as the basis of a flamenco guitar rap.

Rap wins I think.

I think it is a rap, more than a recipe. And just now indicates to me guitar making is still a kind of structural poetry. Guitar is a poem made of small slivers of wood glued to bigger warped panels, all under some tension. There seems be no right way or wrong way to do it as long as the reader agrees and the basic grammar of constructions is mostly correct.

All the people I know who build that have backgrounds in physics and aerodynamics don't bother to come with a grand theory of how it works because it is too complicated for that kind of overview. They seem satisfied to take it as part poetic and part hard engineering. The ones who try to see it as all empirical and little poetry are, for me, difficult to suffer.

I like the metaphor of the guitar bracing system as a chess opening. Each opening has fundamental character and thrust into the middle game, but after that it's deep water. Each maker plays the middle and end game differently, but with diverse styles of elegance and beauty. More than one beautiful kind of guitar, as there are thousands of beautiful games of chess derived from one opening.

If only our beautiful thoughts and words would pay our elegant rents.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 15 2016 2:45:23

norumba

just have to say, this is a fascinating thread. I have no insight to add, but have learned much. thank you all the builders for sharing your thoughts and providing us with a great glimpse into the process!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 15 2016 4:49:52

RobJe

RE: Harmonic bars (in reply to BarkellWH

quote:

it looks like a coded encryption

OK - I'll come clean - if you can solve it you will find the location of the secret underground bunker in Valencia where everything will be made clear! It might be in the suburbs of a city, just past a factory making large carnival objects for the rest of Spain but I could be misleading you.

I was also trying to make a serious point about the difficulties of communicating in words the characteristics of guitars. The different preferences of guitarists and unreliability of their subjective judgements makes matters even more difficult.

Does it matter? I think that it does for many different reasons. I think that it matters for luthiers, for experienced players and for beginners buying their first guitars. When I am interested in a luthier I always try to find out what they say or have said about their work. I like to find out about their dreams and their goals. The most refreshing thing I have ever heard was Reyes half admitting that he made mainly blancas because that was what he was good at.

There is more to say but I don't want to divert this interesting thread.

Rob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 15 2016 9:58:22

RobJe

quote:

I like the metaphor of the guitar bracing system as a chess opening. Each opening has fundamental character and thrust into the middle game, but after that it's deep water. Each maker plays the middle and end game differently, but with diverse styles of elegance and beauty. More than one beautiful kind of guitar, as there are thousands of beautiful games of chess derived from one opening.

Sometimes I wonder if you have ever read Douglas Hofstadter's Godel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid - or perhaps just flicked through the pages as most people do.

Rob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 15 2016 10:32:48

BarkellWH

quote:

Sometimes I wonder if you have ever read Douglas Hofstadter's Godel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid - or perhaps just flicked through the pages as most people do.

I read it when it was first published and couldn't put it down. Hofstadter's ideas, examples, and illustrations using Godel, Bach, and Escher, of "self-referencing" and "strange loops," not to mention all the other ideas presented, as well as M.C. Escher's illustrations, were a real treat.

But we had better not continue with Hofstadter here, as it will surely lead this thread astray into "Off-Topic" material, which is verboten.

Bill

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 15 2016 11:33:43

orsonw

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 15 2016 11:49:06

Tom Blackshear

quote:

The most refreshing thing I have ever heard was Reyes half admitting that he made mainly blancas because that was what he was good at.

His goal of making good guitars was always with a direction of different experiment; slight adjustments and major changes that gave us different choices.

Some of his work was akin to Barbero and much of it was to elaborate on the 7 fan designs with open bottom end. But the basic knowledge gained in this was to present the best instrument possible.

I think the best way to emulate his work is to strive for the best of all aspects in his guitar designs and try to replicate that.

Manuel Adalid, one of the Principles of the Esteve Guitar Factory in Valencia, and I worked on this principle and I think Manuel has now achieved this ideal.

So, from an aficionado's point of view, I recommend Manuel's guitars, as his french polish is better than mine. His higher line of guitars, that I've seen, are certainly more than worthy, as factory built instruments, as Manuel personally works hands on with his top designs.

Note: This does not detract from other independent builders on this list worth their salt.

Tom Blackshear Guitar maker
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 15 2016 15:21:56

Tom Blackshear

RE: Harmonic bars (in reply to Anders Eliasson

quote:

I also constantly work with the goal of getting stronger trebles while keeping the very traditional sound...
But.... After having met some guitars that i made years before, I have kind of changed my visions. Some of these traditional guitars devellop very strong and specially very singy trebles over the years. But it takes time and a lot of playing on them.

I may have missed some of your new builds so how have you changed some of the ideals in tone? Are you still building basically a 7 fan style?

Are you doing any different tuning and/or design plan to make adjustments toward a certain character of voice?

I've always been interested in your progression as a Luthier who planned his path to Spain to make something unique. I consider you a Luthier and myself as a guitar maker. You've demonstrated your ability to construct different instruments.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 15 2016 16:17:20

RobJe

RE: Harmonic bars (in reply to orsonw

Thanks Orsonw!

As the man says: "Repeated analogies expand concepts." So my list (the words of this forum) is pure gold dust!

Rob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 15 2016 19:26:21

estebanana

Orson, thanks for that. I watched it this morning. Analogy as building block of cognition.

I'll soon come up with an analogy to explain this.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 16 2016 13:40:43

RobJe

Luthiers should return to their harmonic bars. Perhaps analogy should migrate to "General".

Rob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 16 2016 13:49:26

Tom Blackshear

It seems that Ramirez started the popular treble diagonal brace back in the 60's and Miguel Rodriguez followed that concept in 1970. I've seen a Contreras flamenco guitar made in 1965 that had a diagonal treble brace with an open bass through the harmonic bars. Good guitar.

I think the best classical Ramirez I've ever played was a guitar in for slight repair that had a great affinity for flamenco. It's top was thinned toward the middle of its top area.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 17 2016 14:40:48

estebanana

After reading this the partial bar on the Bellido design we have been discussing has more meaning. And temped to redesign the later braces on classical guitars with this in mind.

http://www.platetuning.org/Installing_a_bassbar_-_Curtin_-_StradArticle_1577-2010-6-25.pdf

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 18 2016 9:22:45

RobJe

RE: Harmonic bars (in reply to Tom Blackshear

quote:

It seems that Ramirez started the popular treble diagonal brace back in the 60's and Miguel Rodriguez followed that concept in 1970. I've seen a Contreras flamenco guitar made in 1965 that had a diagonal treble brace with an open bass through the harmonic bars. Good guitar.

Your observations about Contreras and Rodriguez sparked off a thought about the Cont/Rod cannibalism incident as recorded on the Harris Guitar Foundation site.

http://harrisguitarfoundation.org/hernandez-y-aguado-1969/

Also, reading the Curtin article reminded me that Fleta made violin family instruments before starting on guitars.

Rob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 19 2016 10:48:01

Echi

The guitar made by Fleta was somehow revolutionary for the time.
I'd say the main novelty wasn't so much the 2nd slanted transverse bar (conceptually a derivation of the ideas of Santos or Lacote before him) but the whole stiff bracing and the whole stiffness/heavyness of the box.
Imho there was a new way to balance all the parts of the guitar and to assemble them, probably influenced by Fleta's experience in violin making.
Just as an instance, he was one of the first (in my knowledge) to 'kill' the upper bout area of the top with a huge top thickness, in the attempt of having a solid up register.
While he was already a great traditional guitar maker, as proved by the guitar after Torres owned by Guitarsalon, I'd say that after the meeting he had with Segovia he definitely felt free to make something completely different.

In the case of Rodriguez my understanding is that the main problem of the guy at the time was to adapt his guitar to the successful Madrid model (cedar top/ treble slanted bar a bigger plantilla exc.).
All considered it was a good idea just to try to replace the top, as possibly this is the fastest way to learn.
My understanding is that the Romeros played a big role in connecting Contreras and Rodriguez.
As an instance, Contreas for few years used a suspended second transverse bar, with just a point of contact with the top (at the central strut) as Rodriguez alone was doing in Spain at the moment.
The story was that Yuris Zeltin repaired a Rodriguez guitar (probably Pepe's one) with a collapsed top by installing a suspended bar, just fixed on the sides.
Later that very guitar was showed to Rodriguez himself.
Rodriguez found this a good idea and started using the bar also in his new guitars but in the meantime Pepe had shown the guitar also to Contreras inviting him to try it as well (as Contreras did for a couple of years).
Eventually the 2 makers abandoned it.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 20 2016 7:20:21

Tom Blackshear

quote:

My understanding is that the Romeros played a big role in connecting Contreras and Rodriguez.
As an instance, Contreas for few years used a suspended second transverse bar, with just a point of contact with the top (at the central strut) as Rodriguez alone was doing in Spain at the moment.

The story was that Yuris Zeltin repaired a Rodriguez guitar (probably Pepe's one) with a collapsed top by installing a suspended bar, just fixed on the sides.
Rodriguez found this a good idea and started using the bar also in his new guitars but in the meantime Pepe had shown the guitar also to Contreras inviting him to try it as well (as Contreras did for a couple of years).

The 1977 Miguel Rodriguez that I drew a plan of, actually had the middle brace added by Yuris due to its need for structural integrity. However, while the guitar was in my hands, for a fair amount of time, I noticed that the added brace slightly interfered with the voice. I found this to be the case when I temporarily removed it to examine the top.

So, what M. Rodriguez did after that, is far from my estimation. But what I do know is that Pepe Rodriguez did experiments with his top thickness' even to 1994 to try and prevent the top from collapsing. One of his I viewed was 2.8 mm around the edges and 2.4 mm in the middle areas under the bridge. This was, in my estimation, too much against a good tonal response.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 20 2016 16:46:39

Richard Jernigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Echi

A friend of mine had a Contreras doble tapa with the suspended bar. I always thought it was a bit "tight". The construction looked as though it would tend to kill the top dipole mode, rocking about the bridge as axis. A few months ago I was making spectral analyses of a few guitars I had recorded. For single strings the first harmonic was always notably stronger than the fundamental. The suspended bar seemed to kill the fundamental even more, though I never looked at spectrograms for that guitar.

My friend and I were in Madrid and went together to the Contreras shop in Calle Mayor. It was after the death of Manuel Sr. My friend was describing the guitar to the nice woman behind the counter when Pablo ("Manuel II") came in the door off the street. He paused for a moment and listened, then said, "Bring the guitar to us and we will remove the bar."

I asked whether his father had made the tops differently for the guitars with the suspended bar. I was assured that he had not. The guitar was brought to the shop, and presumably taken away to the workshop elsewhere. When it was returned a few days later, I thought it was notably improved.

Pablo sadly passed away before I had an opportunity to see him again, so I never had the chance to ask him whether they had done anything besides removing the bar.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 21 2016 3:28:48

Echi

Probably they just took away the suspended bar as there was not the structural need to replace it with something else.
As they correctly told you the top thickness was the same of the standard model.
Interestingly enough a couple of very good luthiers are actually replacing the lower transverse bar with a kind of "suspended" bar like that one.
At the end of the day is more or less what Torres had done with the leona and Jose' Ramirez 1 used to do at the beginning of the 20th century.
Few new things under the sun.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 21 2016 7:44:31

Richard Jernigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Echi

As they correctly told you the top thickness was the same of the standard model.

The Contreras, both father and son always impressed me as open and accurate in their responses to any questions. The guitar was dated 1991, so Pablo may have had as much or more to do with its construction as his father.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 21 2016 20:45:54

estebanana

Are there any photos of this suspended bar?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 23 2016 4:33:35

Echi

Take a look here for the pictures of the Miguel Rodriguez

http://schrammguitars.com/inside.html

And here for a general explanation:

http://scottclassicalguitars.blogspot.ie/2015/03/the-floating-brace.html?m=1
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 23 2016 13:19:25

estebanana

Oh that thing has a name. Yeah I have seen that on a Warren White guitar from about 1967- 68, White built it that way. That is a messed up idea.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 23 2016 21:34:47
Page:   <<   <   1 2 [3] 4    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 2 [3] 4    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote