Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Luthiers - can y'all help this dude?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 2 [3]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

pink

RE: Luthiers - can y'all help this dude? (in reply to Piwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Piwin

quote:

There we go little man....everyone's happy.You can pat yourself on the back too when you've finished manipulating those pieces of wood. Don't get a splinter now.....otherwise there may be some more capital letters. X

how about we stowe this one away for another time pink? It seems we've both stooped down to schoolyard level and neither of us are helping move the conversation forward at this point. I'm sure we'll find something else interesting to disagree about in another thread.
In the meantime, sorry Lenador, can't make out what the guitar is. Ni idea.

Sure thing Piwin.... that sounds reasonable!
Welcome to the foro and you've been a quality sparring partner!

Lenny I think he was using one of the more expensive Alhambra flamenco models from memory.

Best

pink

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2016 15:04:15

Piwin

RE: Luthiers - can y'all help this dude? (in reply to pink

quote:

Sure thing Piwin.... that sounds reasonable! Welcome to the foro and you've been a quality sparring partner!

Thanks! You too. I look forward to round 2

"Anything you do can be fixed. What you cannot fix is the perfection of a blank page. What you cannot fix is that pristine, unsullied whiteness of a screen or a page with nothing on it—because there’s nothing there to fix."
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2016 15:07:41

drhildr

Sounds like the kid has a result regardless of the (mixed) opinions on the method and integrity of hi approach. Hope it works out for all concerned!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2016 16:03:10

Leñador

quote:

Lenny I think he was using one of the more expensive Alhambra flamenco models from memory.

Oy, he does deserve better than that for sure.........

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2016 18:08:58

Mark2

I guess I'm old school too. I was a full time musician when I was in my 20's. The internet didn't exist so the present situation would not have been possible. If it was, I still wouldn't have taken to the internet to make the offer the guy in question did. I guess it's cultural. I'd have sold something, would have gotten a day gig if need be, bought a beater till I could afford a better one, etc. The fact that the fellow is a good guitarist has little to nothing to do with anything in my view. If he's a pro, then he knows how to make money with his playing. As to his offer, let's get real-the likely benefit to a builder is unknown. Maybe he will promote the heck out of the builder in gratitude. I really don't know. I do know that if I was a full timer who was a relative unknown I'd not expect a free guitar, because I'd realize it's not an attractive deal for the maker. That Stephen has offered a new guitar to this gent -well, he hit the lottery in my view. And I hope he talks up Stephen's work every freakin day for the rest of his life.

quote:

ORIGINAL: pink

Now I can totally understand anyone of us questioning an online piece of film footage from a person asking total strangers to fund a trip around Spain and a new guitar for them to learn flamenco on ....not many people would throw a penny a that let alone hundreds of euro's , however this is a totally different request based on an immediate need from a professional musician who is using this channel of enquiry to facilitate sponsorship as a business proposition which will have the potential to benefit two parties ....much like a racing driver seeking sponsorship for tyres and engine parts to get through a season. Any prospective sponsor/luthier is going to,in the first instance ,check out the credentials of the musician in need and in this case a 10 minute Google search brings up loads of checkable info . First port of call...contact where he works and when verified consider the benefits of perhaps hundreds of guitarists during the course of a year being exposed to one of your guitars at every lesson they take with this guy. Secondly then find out that he is a performing flamenco with a grounding in classical guitar from a very young age and then in his middle teens he finds flamenco ,studies it and then ends up teaching it at one of the places he was once a student. Then you find out that he also travels extensively to perform at venues and also performs through busking. Furthermore you find out he has recorded two self funded albums , has also studied and become fluent in four languages and really does on finally meeting with him exude integrity. At this stage, (as too it was after a ten minute Google search ),its totally obvious that this guy is a total slouch who purely wants to freeload his way through life!! The young man is using this online platform as probably ONE OF MANY ROUTES to help him continue to perform and earn a living. From experience of meeting with him on several occasions, he is very likely to have another job too to help him through although I can't verify this. Why would he ask for help in such a way? Maybe he is trying to do this without leaning on family and friends,I understand his family live in UK so he doesn't have a home base in Seville to my knowledge and also I'm sure he would expect any business person to be pretty thorough when checking him out so why would he need to explain every element of his life at this stage....those questions would definitely follow!!
Now if I've upset anyone by using the 'fukked' word then good....also I stand by my statement about some people being ungracious and some people need things capitalizing ,often more than once , to help then move back to being a little more reasonable.
Love and kisses

Best

pink
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2016 18:09:51

Ricardo

RE: Luthiers - can y'all help this dude? (in reply to Mark2

The original mal treated guitar was V. Bernal. I am surely in the dark humor minority when I say, I can't wait till he breaks his new guitar.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2016 20:36:27

koenie17

Don´t forget that if your not one of the top guys over here, especially flamenco artist are being paid really bad! If You´re lucky between 50 and a 100€ a night.
So saving up money for a decent guitar can be very dificult for starting musicians.
If he manages to make a deal with Stephen he got really lucky! Good for him.
Very generous of this great builder, Ole tu Estebanana!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2016 20:47:38

Anders Eliasson

RE: Luthiers - can y'all help this dude? (in reply to estebanana

quote:

Why don't you call him and tell him you can repair it?

Trust me, I have my reasons....

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2016 21:59:32

rombsix

RE: Luthiers - can y'all help this dude? (in reply to Anders Eliasson

Stephen - any updates about this?

Ramzi

http://www.youtube.com/rombsix
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 10 2016 3:36:21

pundi64

RE: Luthiers - can y'all help this dude? (in reply to rombsix

I guess you can't really blame this guy for at least trying to make a deal,
never tried, never done.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 22 2016 22:57:07

Echi

RE: Luthiers - can y'all help this dude? (in reply to rombsix

I'M simpatetic with this guy and if I was a pro-maker I'd make for him a 2nd class guitar (a good, not ornate one) or give to him a guitar I cannot sell or not use.
This guy is honest, goes straight and openly to the point and is not begging for a gift. He clearly said that he's offering the advertising coming from his work for a guitar. Up to the luthier to say yes or not.
Manuel Ramirez - Andres Segovia says something to me.
By the way This or similar kind of businesses (but secretly made) made great many famous flamenco guitar makers. This is not a secret: years ago many flamenco players never had the money to pay fully for their guitars.
Next step was to sell guitars they had been gifted. There's a post here in Foroflamenco when someone spoke of Sabicas and Marote doing these things.
Gerundino is a great maker but it's not a secret that people like Paco Pena sold Gerundinas in London either to students of interested people. Maybe all the money went to Gerundino, maybe not.

Arcangel told a friend of mine that at a certain stage he just decided to stop with this kind of business and didn't want anymore to deal with guitaristas without money to pay him back (others did the same): shortly after he had to look for other customers and other businesses and for 20 years almost never made a flamenco guitar.
It's a common motif often said by Contreras that in the old Madrid it you used to make mostly flamenco guitars you were considered a luthier of a lower league.
After Paco the things are different.
I'm not saying it's right.
I'm saying that this is the way I think this business is.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 23 2016 9:06:28
Page:   <<   <   1 2 [3]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post