Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: I'm kind of over solo guitar   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 2 3 [4] 5    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Leñador

RE: I'm kind of over solo guitar (in reply to Piwin

Yeah that video right there got me into cante. It's from the rito y geographia series. You should really check all of them out if you haven't yet. Best series of videos ever.
http://www.flamencoexperience.com/blog/?p=1334

It was actually El Turroneros voice that got me into it, now I'm obsessed with Camaron so I watch it with changed eyes and ears.

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 9 2016 0:39:51

BarkellWH

RE: I'm kind of over solo guitar (in reply to Leñador

I would have forsaken all the performances I've seen over the years of Paco Pena, Paco de Lucia, Vicente Amigo, Canizares, and others for one evening of being with those guys in that video. To me, that's real flamenco the way it should be enjoyed. None of the polished, programmed performance one sees on a stage while sitting in an auditorium. And I would be sitting there with a copita of jerez fino in front of me, just like Turronero. For one evening, I could even put up with all the smoke from their incessant smoking. No polish, no "fusion." Just straight up flamenco.

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 9 2016 1:49:39

Leñador

I'm with you, that's a moment I would kill to have been a part of.

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 9 2016 2:54:06

estebanana

I'll tell you I really dislike smoking or being around it,but there are a few people who I know who smoke who I make an exception for because they are exceptional people who happen to smoke. It makes me sick to breathe because I have asthma, but if I have my Abuterol inhaler and the flamenco is good, ok I will put myself through that. Japan is behind the curve on designating smoking areas or creating all out bans in public, but I deal with it.

Someday I hope flamenco has an anti fuma generation that want to disassociate music from smoking. Nothing great about it for me, but I really hate to be a person who steps on the personal liberties and pleasures of others so I accept that some of my friends like to smoke or are for the time being stuck with smoking.

One thing that really did upset me was to see the son of a famous guitarist who died of a smoking related cancer at an after show party smoking a big cigar. I thought boy you are a great guitarist too don't smoke yourself to death like you papa did.

His daddy would have lived another 30 years and been here with us had it not been for the smoking.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 9 2016 11:36:14

BarkellWH

RE: I'm kind of over solo guitar (in reply to estebanana

quote:

I'll tell you I really dislike smoking or being around it,but there are a few people who I know who smoke who I make an exception for because they are exceptional people who happen to smoke.

I'm with you on smoking, Stephen. I have never taken up smoking, even as a teenager. Nothing to do with morality or anything else, other than it just did not appeal to me, and I did not like the taste when I tried it a couple of times. But I would put up with others smoking if they were special friends. And I certainly would have put up with the smoke to have been able to sit in on the session caught in the video of Camaron, Turronero, Paco Cepero and Paco de Lucia. Still, I do not understand the lure of smoking with its proven connection to lung cancer and other diseases. Seems to me to be a pretty risky activity, but individuals have a right to their pleasure, even when it involves risk.

Bill

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 9 2016 13:42:35

Leñador

I don't know if it's because of its abundance or maybe because it DOESNT get you high but smoking is the HARDEST thing to quit. I've been quit for 3 years but lately been puffing a few more cigars and hookah than I should. Gotta stop that ****. When your a real smoker it runs you, your nearly powerless, it's a weird feeling when you realize how bad it's got you.

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 9 2016 13:45:30

Brendan

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Apr. 9 2016 14:32:12
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 9 2016 14:30:42

Richard Jernigan

I started smoking when I was 16, to be a cool guy in high school and with the older musicians I hung with. Maybe 4 or 5 cigarettes per day until I was 28. Then I got my first 8 hours/day desk job, solving math and physics problems that nobody else in the company could, except for my boss and one of my pals. Spent a lot of time staring at the ceiling thinking, "OK, that didn't work, now what do I try next?" Cigarette consumption shot up to a pack a day. Made me feel bad, so I quit.

But my sweet and pretty young wife smoked. Saturday morning over a second cup of coffee, I would reach for one of hers. Before long I would be back at it.

Finally I asked her if she would quit for me. In an amazing act of generosity, she did.

Years later we were driving down the street when she said, "Do you know what day today is?"

Crap, what have I done now? "Um, no, can't say that I do."

"It's been ten years since I had a cigarette."

"And you still want one?"

"Yes."

I bought her a dozen roses and took her out to a nice dinner.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 10 2016 4:13:55

estebanana

You're such a gentleman Richard.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 10 2016 4:57:12

gerundino63

RE: I'm kind of over solo guitar (in reply to Richard Jernigan

And your wife a gentlewoman lovely couple.....

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 10 2016 7:08:57

DavRom

the accompaniment in this video is tops! great ebb and flow with the singers. the best guitarists punctuate phrase endings just right to flow out of and into the next phrase (or into a falseta)

The Rito series is so well done. The documentary style used fits the genre like a glove. if i was studying such things it would be at the top of my list

quote:

ORIGINAL: Leñador

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 10 2016 12:16:29

BarkellWH

RE: I'm kind of over solo guitar (in reply to DavRom

quote:

the accompaniment in this video is tops! great ebb and flow with the singers. the best guitarists punctuate phrase endings just right to flow out of and into the next phrase (or into a falseta)

Well put, DavRom. As I mentioned in my post above, I think Paco Cepero is as fine an accompanist as they come. And yet I think he is under-rated. No one brings up his name (except perhaps me, and now you) when we speak of very good tocaors and accompanists. Particularly his earlier play is first-rate. As I mentioned in the same post, I also think Ramon de Algeciras is under-rated. His play is also first-rate. But he played in the shadow of his brother Paco de Lucia.

Bill

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 10 2016 12:34:14

Leñador

quote:

I think a big part of it is look how much fun he's having. He's enjoying there performance and just right there with them.

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 10 2016 12:42:24

BarkellWH

quote:

I think a big part of it is look how much fun he's having. He's enjoying there performance and just right there with them.

Agreed, Lenny. The combination of first-rate flamenco and the fun they are all having around a cafe table creates a synergy that can't be replicated in a formal performance venue. I must have viewed that video a hundred times over the years, and every time it makes me think how much is missed in performances in an auditorium. I feel like I have spent my life attending flamenco performances while strapped into the seat of an A-300 Airbus.

Bill

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 10 2016 15:06:28

Leñador

quote:

every time it makes me think how much is missed in performances in an auditorium. I feel like I have spent my life attending flamenco performances while strapped into the seat of an A-300 Airbus.

Definitely! I get that sometimes it has to be that way because the artist is very famous but it's not really flamencos home. Last night I went to see some flamenco friends perform in a small cafe and it was great. There was a moment when it was just Jose Tanaka and Briseyda Zarate just jamming bulerias and it was magic. She sounded like La Macanita to me. I got to yell and bang on the table, it was great, the grin on my face was a mile long. Flamenco is an intimate art, best heard intimately.

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 10 2016 15:49:29

Richard Jernigan

RE: I'm kind of over solo guitar (in reply to BarkellWH

quote:

ORIGINAL: BarkellWH

Well put, DavRom. As I mentioned in my post above, I think Paco Cepero is as fine an accompanist as they come. And yet I think he is under-rated. No one brings up his name (except perhaps me, and now you) when we speak of very good tocaors and accompanists. Particularly his earlier play is first-rate. As I mentioned in the same post, I also think Ramon de Algeciras is under-rated. His play is also first-rate. But he played in the shadow of his brother Paco de Lucia.

Bill

Cepero is the heir to a long tradition in Jerez. He is among the last students of Javier Molina (1868-1956). Javier, his brother the dancer Antonio Molina and Antonio Chacon all grew up together in the Barrio Santiago. They went on a walking tour of nearby provinces in 1885, supporting themselves by performing in bars and taverns along the way. Later Javier worked in Sevilla, Extremadura and Madrid. He worked with the near-legendary figures Patiño and Paco Lucena.

Javier Molina owned a tablao that employed both Niño Ricardo and Manolo de Huelva. These two can be heard in recordings playing the same falsetas, but each with his individual style.

Molina taught the Morao brothers Manuel Moreno (known both as Moraíto and Manuel Morao) and Juan Moreno (known as Moraíto Chico), the father of the recently deceased Moraíto Chico II.

So Cepero was off to a good start on the excellence he has so brilliantly displayed.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 11 2016 5:41:41

Ricardo

quote:

quote:

Bill

We have discussed Cepero tons in the past. Remember this one?
http://www.foroflamenco.com/tm.asp?m=219705&mpage=1&p=&tmode=1&smode=1&key=cepero

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 11 2016 13:39:23

Richard Jernigan

RE: I'm kind of over solo guitar (in reply to Ricardo

Found some documentation for a story about Manolo Sanlucar I remembered:

http://tinyurl.com/gwmk7yr

"Nació y creció en un ambiente flamenco, ya que su padre fue un gran aficionado a la guitarra, hasta el punto de que buscó como maestro a uno de los guitarristas más importantes de aquella época, como lo fue Javier Molina. "Afortunadamente, esa fue la decisión que marcaría su vida y la de sus hijos", dice el propio Manolo Sanlúcar en sus memorias.

Las enseñanzas recibidas por Isidro Muñoz, padre de Manolo, le habían obligado a desplazarse en bicicleta cada día de clase desde Sanlúcar a Jerez de la Frontera, ciudad donde residía el maestro Javier Molina.

El joven Manolo Muñoz recibió de su padre toda la sabiduría guitarrística que éste había asimilado durante las clases recibidas en Jerez. Mirando hacia atrás en el tiempo, el actual Manolo Sanlúcar considera las clases con su padre "un tipo de enseñanza seria y rigurosa que aún hoy me sirve como ejemplo a seguir". Y fue un ejemplo que fructificó espléndidamente en el joven "Sanlúcar", ya que desde muy pequeño mostró hallarse extraordinariamente dotado para seguir la senda marcada por el padre."

Manolo's father was a guitarist as well. He took lessons from Javier Molina, going daily from Sanlucar de Barrameda to Jerez on his bicycle. (25 or 30 km, much of it up hill--but you could coast a bit on the way back.)

Manolo's father Isidro Muñoz was his main teacher. Manolo was working professionally with Pepe Marchena before he was 14 years old.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 11 2016 23:58:11

BarkellWH

RE: I'm kind of over solo guitar (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

Actually, I had forgotten it, Ricardo. In spite of the derogatory nature of the thread's title ("Cepero Elevator Music"), there were quite a few comments (including yours and mine!) praising Paco Cepero's playing. He's always good, but I really like his earlier playing better than some of his later stuff. Nevertheless, a few years ago he came out with a CD entitled "Morrongo," in which he accompanied the old cantaor (and blacksmith by trade) Santiago Donday to great effect.

Overall, Paco Cepero probably will never be counted among the very top tocaors (PDL, Sabicas, etc.) but I don't think he can be topped as an accompanist. He probably will take his place, as Somerset Maugham once described his place among authors, as "not in the very top tier, but in the very first row of the second tier." Not a bad accomplishment for a fine artist.

Bill

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 12 2016 11:27:05

Ricardo

quote:

quote:

Actually, I had forgotten it, Ricardo. In spite of the derogatory nature of the thread's title ("Cepero Elevator Music"), there were quite a few comments (including yours and mine!) praising Paco Cepero's playing. He's always good, but I really like his earlier playing better than some of his later stuff. Nevertheless, a few years ago he came out with a CD entitled "Morrongo," in which he accompanied the old cantaor (and blacksmith by trade) Santiago Donday to great effect.

Overall, Paco Cepero probably will never be counted among the very top tocaors (PDL, Sabicas, etc.) but I don't think he can be topped as an accompanist. He probably will be take his place, as Somerset Maugham once described his place among authors, as "not in the very top tier, but in the very first row of the second tier." Not a bad accomplishment for a fine artist.

Bill

Again, I must point out at least I gave my opinion that the guy was not only the best accompanist but also had the fastest picado I have clocked:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grisha

I thought Juan Manuel Canizares was very good at improvising judging from his videos with Paco and Bandera. You can see Paco looking at him with admiration at times during his solos. I only saw him give that look when he played with McLaughlin.

I think Cañizares inspired Paco because of his modern approach. After all I personally never got into his sound or style. When he plays with Paco it's very nice harmonies and such, but when they improvise I feel he doesn't keep up with Paco or Banderas interms of control of tone and speed. He often bends notes but they are always sharp pitchwise...as coming from electric school I think it is a lot nicer to fret a flat note and bend into a chord tone or whatever, but even still it sounds kindof silly on nylon.

I often forget about THIS guy's ridiculous speed on picados, mainly because in my mind he is the ultimate cante accompanist. A little crazy control wise but the expression and speed he always had was amazing. I clock him at 117-120 plus with these picados:

http://youtu.be/lO3BRotMufY

in case you all want to argue again that he isn't making 32nd notes ( ) here is a slower groovy version you can hear it more clearly how fast he is going on those same runs at 102 or so:

http://youtu.be/3b2uDrB9ggk

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 12 2016 16:49:33

orsonw

quote:

And yet I think he is under-rated. No one brings up his name (except perhaps me, and now you) when we speak of very good tocaors and accompanists.

In the flamenco world Paco Cepero is generally considered very highly. The foro is not that representative because of the solo guitar focus. Even so Paco Cepero is mentioned on the foro often, by many people, he's often being highly rated. Try a search on his name, you may find some other discussions that interest you.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 13 2016 9:34:25

Escribano

RE: I'm kind of over solo guitar (in reply to orsonw

And so he is...

http://www.foroflamenco.com/searchpro.asp?topicreply=both&message=both&timeframe=%3E&timefilter=0&top=300&criteria=AND&minRank=10&language=single&phrase=Paco+Cepero

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 13 2016 10:07:07

BarkellWH

RE: I'm kind of over solo guitar (in reply to Escribano

Thanks Simon and Orson (and Ricardo above) for reminding me that there have been some good discussions on the Foro paying homage to Paco Cepero's fine playing and accompaniment. In reviewing them, I find that I even contributed to some of them. I guess there has been so much praise for PDL, Vicente Amigo, Tomatito, and others over the years that I tend to think Paco Cepero has been under-rated. I still think he may be under-rated by many, but it is good to be reminded that there are many who consider him a first-rate tocaor and accompanist.

Bill

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 13 2016 11:39:27

Piwin

quote:

I guess there has been so much praise for PDL, Vicente Amigo, Tomatito, and others over the years that I tend to think Paco Cepero has been under-rated. I still think he may be under-rated by many, but it is good to be reminded that there are many who consider him a first-rate tocaor and accompanist.

Add me to the list of P. Cepero fans. Though to be honest I discovered him fairly late in the game. IMO, he simply didn't reach the same level of fame as some of the others you mentioned. Though I'm not sure fame and how you are "rated" as an artist necessarily go hand in hand. There often seems to be a disconnect between the two. There may be other factors that explain his being less known.
And perhaps there is that "solo guitar" distortion that leads some to forget about those who excel at accompaniment. Another example that comes to mind is El Viejin who is similarly praised for his dance accompaniement but is lagging far behind in the fame game (at least outside of flamenco circles). I'm not comparing their playing, just saying they seem to have the same "problem" of being extremely well regarded yet barely known outside of a rather small circle.

"Anything you do can be fixed. What you cannot fix is the perfection of a blank page. What you cannot fix is that pristine, unsullied whiteness of a screen or a page with nothing on it—because there’s nothing there to fix."
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 14 2016 16:24:41

Leñador

Y Pedro Bacan hombres!

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 14 2016 20:09:32

jshelton5040

quote:

Y Pedro Bacan hombres!

I drove 200 miles to see Pedro Bacan play and left at intermission due to boredom. In fairness, I understand he was hitting the bottle pretty hard at the time but honestly it was the only time I can remember walking out of a recital by a flamenco guitarist.

John Shelton - www.sheltonfarrettaguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 14 2016 20:18:08

Leñador

Ouch! Sounds like a rough experience......ssshhhhhh don't tell anyone but I walked out on Vicente the other week. Still think of him as one of the greatest on earth, I was just bored. I'd prefer to see Pedro with a singer than solo.

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 14 2016 20:32:45

DavRom

quote:

I walked out on Vicente the other week.

you deserve 40 lashes with a wet noodle

his nearest concert to me was 12 hours round trip (and mid-week) so i didn't get to see him at all

shame on you!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 14 2016 21:00:41

Leñador

Hahahaha, I love Vicente's albums and he's absolutely top 5 best guitarists ever, I just wasn't prepared for a recital. Last time I saw him he had two dancers two singers, it was a whole show. This was a guitar recital. It's like expecting Sprite and getting Tonic. Tonics fine when I expect it, not when I was looking forward to Sprite.

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 14 2016 21:10:56

Nito

RE: I'm kind of over solo guitar (in reply to Piwin

Paco is considered one of the best (or perhaps the best) guitar accompaniment for some generations (For me it's Moraito and Cepero). As it has been said in this forum, his trajectory is brilliant, not only like accompaniment guitarist, if not composer and productor.

After a long time waiting, last month we could enjoy Paco Cepero on my Peña. 100 people, no more. Each cante was a perfect lesson how the guitarist must assist.

He came with Samuel Serrano, young 'cantaor' (mentored by Paco).

Listen the mythical 'falsetas' was absolutely spectacular...

7 8 9 10 1 2
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 15 2016 6:29:43
Page:   <<   <   1 2 3 [4] 5    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 2 3 [4] 5    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote