Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Picado is Impossible!   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1] 2 3 4    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

rombsix

Picado is Impossible! 

I have listened to several of Paco de Lucia's tunes, and have come to the conclusion that he can play sixteenth notes picados (clean and quite staccato) at tempos faster than 208 beats per minute. I have been trying for about a week (and have been playing flamenco for about four years) to go beyond 140 beats per minute (and come up with clean sixteenth-note picados) but it just seems anatomically impossible. My fingers just will NOT move that fast. I am not even playing actual notes (at 140 bpm), but simply alternation I and M fingers on one string at a time to see just how fast I can go. Is this normal? Will my speed improve eventually?

Second of all, I have heard a lot of flamenco players (really good ones and "kinda ok" ones) tell me that picado should be played staccato. I can't really notice any difference between staccato and non-staccato. Can anyone post a video or audio clip to clarify? When I try to play staccato by muting one string (after plucking it with the I finger) with the other finger (in this case, the M finger), it works out well, but that makes going from string to string quickly quite difficult. What am I doing wrong? Or should I just give it some more time for me to adjust to this new way of playing?

rombsix

Ramzi

http://www.youtube.com/rombsix
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 14 2006 21:08:02

XXX

RE: Picado is Impossible! (in reply to rombsix

For staccato picado:
http://www.foroflamenco.com/tm.asp?m=27973&p=1&tmode=1&smode=1

For how to play like Paco:
http://www.foroflamenco.com/tm.asp?m=27279&p=1&tmode=1&smode=1

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 14 2006 21:20:35

Miguel de Maria

There is a lot of information on this website about picado. I recommend searching for posts by Grisha, Toddk, and Ricardo, as their technical advice is uniformly excellent.

I'm not sure they would agree with me, though, that in order to play fast, you need to convince your fingers that they can play fast.

One trick for sprinters is to run downhill. This gets the feeling of fast running into the legs and helps them develop that speed.

The trick that helped me break through to play fast (I can alternate im in excess of 200 bpm sixteenths for bursts), is to just learn how to play two notes fast. The way I did it was to play the first note, and as I was playing it, already start playign the other. It's hard to describe, but what you're looking for is a flam. A flam is when two percussion hits happen almost simultaneously, with just a slight delay on the 2nd. You can get your fingers going with flams on the string.

If you can play two notes really fast, then you just add another. And then you can do the Scott Tennant Pumping Nylon stacatto exercises (get the DVD, it's very good), which will help you control it a bit more.

But please read the recent post by Grisha in the picado thread in Audio Uploads. A lot of useful info there.

Connect with me on Facebook, all the cool kids are doing it.
https://www.facebook.com/migueldemariaZ

Arizona Wedding Music Guitar
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 14 2006 21:34:52

duende

hey calm down a bit will ya. nobody goes fast as paco in 4 years time. to have a solid and GOOD technique you´ll have to be at it for at least 10 years

don´t hurry or you´ll damage yourself

This is hard stuff!
Don't give up...
And don't make it a race.
Enjoy the ray of sunshine that comes with every new step in knowledge.

RON
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 14 2006 21:39:12

Florian

I agree with Henrik, if you could have that kind of picado in 4 years , we would all have it, dont be so hard on yourself.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 15 2006 2:50:59

Chansey

Sometimes I wonder if PDL's picado was in him the moment he was born. True, he did practise for 12 hours everyday, so that could be part of it. I mean, take a look at the picados of Amigo, Tomatito or Nunez...some of the greatest names in flamenco now. They have some great picados, far far above the average player(though I always felt Tomatito was somewhat lacking in his picado and tremolo...no offense) Yet, somehow none of them come as clean or as fast as PDL. Hell, he was even keeping up note for note with the jazz pickers on "Friday Night In San Francisco", and though that was more of a circus act thing, in terms of speed it is mind blowing. The physics of flatpicking mean that with small wrist movements you can play more notes with minimal effort, and for single line playing it is difficult to match it with IMO the less "muscle efficient" picado. Furthermore, Al Di Meola and Joh Mclaughlin are not exactly slow jazz players...I have heard them rip before, and they are as fast as most 80's rock players.

This technical mastery is probably the reason why I love his Aranjuez performances. No classical guitarist whom I heard perform Aranjuez so far has had the chops to pull off the quick picados in the first movement at that insane tempo...well ok Pepe Romero is pretty fast too. Except that I am guessing he is using tirando picado which to my ears sound weak. Maybe I am wrong, though you have to agree that Paco's version is one of the most technical.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 15 2006 4:57:40

duende

RE: Picado is Impossible! (in reply to Chansey

I read in a book that Pdl thought that picado is the easiest of all flamenco techniques and that it takes the least effort to maintain ,for him.

This is hard stuff!
Don't give up...

RON
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 15 2006 5:08:54

Chansey

RE: Picado is Impossible! (in reply to duende

Such is the difference between gods and men.

Btw Hendrik I enjoyed the videos of you playing some PDL pieces. How long did it get you to get some of those picados smooth? The position changing picado in Guajiras De Lucia gave me headaches for a long time. Guess that's why I am going back to learning compas and easy falsetas rather than learning big PDL solos. 2 years of playing won't cut it for that.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 15 2006 7:25:38

duende

RE: Picado is Impossible! (in reply to Chansey

i wouldn´t call it smooth net yet.

This is hard stuff!
Don't give up...

RON
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 15 2006 8:59:08

rombsix

About my last posting: I have been playing for 4 years but I don't actually practice that long everyday (for about one hour max. per day). By now, I have reached about 140 bpm sixteenths. How long do you guys think it would take me to get to PDL speed at this rate? What I mean to say is that I am currently studying biology (as undergraduate) and plan on going to medical school next year. So basically, flamenco guitar is a hobby of mine, not my profession. I am guessing you guys are all like that (I mean you are not professional flamenco players that do ONLY that for a living, right?). What I fear is that when I get to medical school (if I eventually get accepted), I am going to have less time to practice. Then, I might get into my thirties (I am currently 20 years old) and eventually I may lose my playing ability because I would have gotten too old. So basically, the questions to be asked are:

1- Are all you guys pro flamenco players or just play flamenco as a hobby?
2- Is it possible to be able to play PDL pieces if flamenco is only a hobby? or does it need like five hours of practice daily?
3- What age (approximately) would you expect that one will start regressing in terms of technique and playing-ability due to age?
4- How long should one practice (on average) if one aims at playing PDL pieces?

Let me know what you think.

rombsix

Ramzi

http://www.youtube.com/rombsix
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 15 2006 11:47:48

Miguel de Maria

quote:

ORIGINAL: rombsix

About my last posting: I have been playing for 4 years but I don't actually practice that long everyday (for about one hour max. per day). By now, I have reached about 140 bpm sixteenths. How long do you guys think it would take me to get to PDL speed at this rate?

2- Is it possible to be able to play PDL pieces if flamenco is only a hobby? or does it need like five hours of practice daily?
3- What age (approximately) would you expect that one will start regressing in terms of technique and playing-ability due to age?

Rombsix,
I find this line of questioning odd. Anyway, to answer you, I don't think you can learn to play at a pro level without 2-4 hours of practice a day. There are exceptions, a guy named Jerzy in Mexico plays very well and if I recall he is extremely busy. However, he is also very focused and patient--can you be that?

Pro guitarists? There are several here. Pretty much the ones who play really well.

Can you play PDL pieces if you are a just a hobbyist? Not unless your name is Jerzy.

What age do you regress? Well, I'm 31 so I guess I'm one foot into the grave! Paco must be almost 60 and he still rips. A lot of flamenco guitarists can still play fast picado at that age. However, Gerardo Nunez said in an interview that we're more virtuosic when we're 19 or so, if I recall. So it might all be downhill from here! Realistically, from listening to CDs it seems guys can retain good technique at least until their 50's, if not much longer.

How long should one practice? I would be shocked to find a great player who did not practice at least 2-4 hours a day. Often teh good ones will go through phases where they practice for 8-10+.

But you are putting the cart before the horse. You don't start from nothing and start busting out PDL pieces. This is like you saying, I've been in school for 4 years now, when do I get to start operating on people's brains? When do I get the cranium? I would say that playing high-level guitar is at least as challenging (if not as messy or stressful) as what a surgeon does. It would follow that you would need to acquire a comparable level of knowledge.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 15 2006 14:29:13

Ricardo

quote:

1. some of us are pro, some for hobby. Remember "pro" just means we get paid to accompany or perform solo. One could be on a "pro level" and still have it as a hobby. Ottmar Leibert is a "pro" flamenco player who plays at an embarrasingly low level. I have a friend who is an "amature" who works for DOE as consultant for nuclear waste disposal...he PERFORMED ONCE with Paco de Lucia in the 70's. Obviously he is at a "pro" level even though it is a hobby.

2. Of course. You can buy the music and start working on it right now, anyone can, no practice. But will it be good? You have to decide how well or close to "pro" you want to play. You should understand that real "pro" flamenco players understand you don't and SHOULD NOT be approaching flamenco from the point of view of "pieces" of music to master. It is more simple, just falsetas, rhythm. Almost all pros can play SOME of Paco's falsetas. What separates "pro" from "amature", and even "good" from "great" playing, is COMPAS. No harm with an amature having fun hacking through a piece by Paco. But a "pro" can't waste his time with that. Just getting one useful falseta tight and solid is all you need to work in the pro flamenco world.

3. Entropy, all things are breaking down NOW. But honestly, it is about when you have time to focus. Young teenagers have no job, liscense, or toys to worry about so it is a perfect age to focus on music. Adults have bigger responisabilities in life than learning to play perfectly in rhythm.

4.As long as it takes to play at an acceptable level for YOU. Paco practiced 12 hours a day when young. If you want to play LIKE him, you should do the same at least, until you have the compas very natural. Most important is to play as much as you want to and can. Remember to get feedback on your playing. Practice does not make "perfect". Practice makes perminant.

As far as SPEED. Well, gypsies born in spain, practicing 12 hrs like Paco, have been chasing his speed forever. A lot get close, but no one has "beaten" him really. Plus he has something extra interms of sound and feeling behind those speedy notes. Modern players have given up on the speed thing and focus on rhythmic sophistication. You will probably never match him either, but you can learn A LOT trying. Just be aware of your limits and progress, you will get faster. Be in control regardless. The fastest I have heard him on CD is his Farruca with the dancer where he speeds up. The fastest recording in tempo with a song I know of is "Chanela", a rumba around 115 bpm and he plays long i-m picados as 32 notes (16th at 230). His nephew JM Banderas does a short run that fast in the DVD Francisco Sanchez ("Cana de Azucar"). So good luck chasing them amigo!

Ricardo
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 16 2006 0:48:08

gshaviv

quote:

How long do you guys think it would take me to get to PDL speed at this rate?

You are approaching this the wrong way, in my oppinion. It completely doesn't matter if you get to play PDL speeds, you said it, you are doing this as a hobby, its not what you plan as your profession, so you don't need to be the best/fastest guitar player in the world. What is important is that you sound good and you enjoy your self. Speed and sounding good are not necessarily the same thing, to sound good in flamenco you need to understand the compas and live it. Focus on that, on understanding what flamenco is and then you'll enjoy it.

quote:

I am currently studying biology (as undergraduate) and plan on going to medical school next year.

Good for you, take that seriously and strive to be the best doctor you can. However, don't do the mistake I did. I played classical guitar from the age of 10 to about 25 when I stopped and abandoned it. I was studying engineering in the university and the playing got in its way. I never considered playing my career, however I had to practice about 3-4 hours a day just to maintain my playing skills. That didn't go well with the busy schedule of an engineering undergrad which caused me to stop.

I picked up the guitar again 3 years ago after 10 years of no playing and that's when I also picked up the flamenco (if you made the calculation you would derive I'm 38 today). Playing guitar brings me so much joy today, I don't understand why I ever stopped playing. The best part of my day is when I get back from work and relax by practicing for an hour. If instead of stopping playing altogether I would have just reduced my practice to somethine more manegable, even an hour a week is better then stopping.

What I mean to say is that remember its a hobby, its purpose it to bring you joy. If you enjoy it, keep doing it and don't worry about trying to beat PDL, its not what you are in it for.

Guy
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 16 2006 3:18:30

Chansey

RE: Picado is Impossible! (in reply to gshaviv

Gshaviv that's truly a tale of inspiration. At first I thought that because of the two years of national service I have to go through(starting this Friday), I will have to give up my playing as the break will ruin my skills permanently. Now I hear about you picking up the guitar again after a 10 year hiatus, it is really quite inspiring. 2 years seem nearly nothing in comparison. Maybe I might even bring a guitar into camp and entertain my fellow bunkmates
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 16 2006 7:33:42

Skai

This Friday eh..? Every guy in Singapore has to go through this stage, we're FAR luckier than previous batches who had to spend 2.5 years at least! Remember that you're the 2nd year where this reduced policy came into place, I'm the first.

I'm finally out of the 'no fingernails' phase but while I can't play for nuts without my nails, I still really really STRONGLY advise you to bring your Yamaha C40 in the next time you book in. You can barely practise right hand techniques, but you can still practise your left hand, sight reading etc. Plus it's enjoyable just playing abit every night.

Anyway, cut your nails off before going in. While you're nail-less, try playing without nails. While your nails finally grow back, you tend to have better accuracy and it teaches you the art of gripping quite effectively. At the moment, you tend to 'brush' rather than grip. You'll have problems playing louder if you don't fix this. Very short nails will force you to grip with whatever small bit of fingernails you have.

Enjoy yourself, it's your turn now.

Try some Enrique Iglesias for some great cante.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 16 2006 10:05:16

Miguel de Maria

I have heard a few teachers say that it's best to learn the foundational techniques without nails anyway.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 16 2006 14:58:01

Ryan002

I thought NS was 1.5 years with the new amendments. Hmm.

Anyway, you are allowed to bring a guitar to camp if you get permission, even during BMT. It is rarely declined. I know we had 4 guitarists all with their instruments in my platoon. Whether you will have the energy to play after hours at the firing range or IFC is the main question here.

Don't forget that practice time is secondary to raw desire. If you really, really want the music very badly, you can quickly outpace even veterans who do not have the same drive. I have seen half-interested players repeat something 50 times before they get it, whereas someone with true drive can do it around 10 times or so and very quickly pick it up. It has been suggested that sheer will to do something can actually inflict chemical changes in the brain that heighten response time and sensory input and allow faster development.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 17 2006 4:24:30

Chansey

RE: Picado is Impossible! (in reply to Ryan002

4 guitarists? That's fairly impressive! I pity those who play instruments like piano or double bass. No way they will be able to lug those in for practice. The only thing I am just a little antsy of is the possibility of my bunkmates shouting for Chinese Pop chords which is unfamiliar ground for me. Plus it feels a little showy to bring in an instrument. As for time, I have plenty as I am after all a PES C recruit, so training sessions shouldn't be too long or tiring!
Just wondering Ryan, as a fellow Singaporean, what's your background with music and flamenco? How long have you been playing and studying, and do you do any dance accompaniment? You seem very knowledgeable about flamenco and music as a whole
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 17 2006 7:42:55

Grisha

I think that Paco's top speed is somewhere far in excess of 250 bpm sixteenths. I can actually hit a bit more than 250 using i,m but only with select short scales (under 20 notes). Paco's scales are just much much better. Period.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 17 2006 17:04:40

ToddK

I remember Ricardo mentioning something about a close up
shot of Paco's picado, i think it may be Live in Germany, i dont know.
But he was saying you could see Paco's entire guitar moving/pulsating
in picado runs.
I think this is part of the big thing Paco has, that very few if any have.
He seems to be able to go into a run, and where ever the dynamics
are, he can always seem to take it up higher. Thats what really
blows me away.
He has this certain combonation of super tight staccato, with perfect eveness,
but there's also a firey, frantic side. Like he's right on the edge, yet he's
perfectly in control. ITs very hard to describe. He's the only one.

Grisha, your picado is out of this world.
You could share the stage with Paco any damn day.
Or maybe you have already?
TK

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 17 2006 17:59:15

Miguel de Maria

I wonder how much of this has to do with strength after all. Obviously at these levels we are talking about great muscle speed, optimization of your resources, probably even a lucky genetic draw as far as how the bones and fingers are configured, but what about strength. We are after all, moving something, doing work, and all things held equal greater strength would equal greater speed. It would seem that Paco must have very strong fingers, in a very specialized way. And Grisha, of course, your fingers must be strong too.

If I lower the tension on my strings, I can play a lot more quickly.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 17 2006 18:14:47

XXX

RE: Picado is Impossible! (in reply to Miguel de Maria

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miguel de Maria
If I lower the tension on my strings, I can play a lot more quickly.

When the tension is lower than medium, I have problems to grab the g-string especially without that it slips away, during a run.
Also with right hand is more difficult coz the string vibrates more.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 17 2006 18:48:09

Grisha

Well, I can say that my forearm is very strong, like weight-lifter's. But I never had a good handshake grip, and my fingers have an average power at best. They are also very thin. I guess, it has to do with a different muscle tissue, the one used for speed, not strength.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 17 2006 18:54:01

ToddK

Though less tension, equals less resistance, i believe you would
hit a wall, due to the string not snapping back to nuetral fast enough.
With a extra low tension string,It would probably start to feel wobbley around 190 or so.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 17 2006 18:54:48

Grisha

I don't know how you can play faster on lower-tension strings. When I try it my fingers simply go through the strings, and I have no aim. I guess, I somehow use the tension of the string to bounce the finger back just in time. I can't say how it works, but I play faster on high tension strings. When I let the flamenco guitar players in Granada try my guitar, they had great difficulties playing fast, because the strings were too tight for them. Recently my friend tried my guitar and found that he could not play anything, and the action is way too high. Well, somehow it works for me better.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 17 2006 19:00:33

Miguel de Maria

That's interesting! Well, I play hard tension, but not extra-hard. And my action is low. I think I would hand your guitar back to you quickly, too :)

Maybe the light tension strings are more for the left hand than the right. Because when I play over the soundhole picado, it doesn't work that well.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 17 2006 19:06:43

Grisha

Sure. Todd's observation about the strings snapping back is spot-on. And when you play over the soundhole, strings vibrate just too much, with a bigger amplitude, and are harder to hit directly.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 17 2006 19:12:03

XXX

The problem I have at the moment is that the action is so low that the strings are buzzing almost too much for my taste.

I tried to put some little pieces of paper under the bridge inlay, but then medium strings become extra hard, and also the tone changes.

Ps: When I hear Sabicas, I seem to hear extra low tension strings. Do you think the same? I also heard somewhere that in the past strings used to be much less tensed than today.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 17 2006 19:24:36

Ron.M

RE: Picado is Impossible! (in reply to XXX

quote:

Sure. Todd's observation about the strings snapping back is spot-on. And when you play over the soundhole, strings vibrate just too much, with a bigger amplitude, and are harder to hit directly.

Hi Grisha,
I'm not a fast picado player, but this is an interesting thread because it discusses how something "feels" and sounds.
That's why I find Anders' (the Guitar Maker) idea of "pulsation" so interesting...
Have you ever tried a "great sounding" guitar...but you just don't like it?
Doesn't feel right...a bit "out of control".
I think this is "pulsation"
It's like the way that the strings come back at you after you play them..
If it's the "wrong" pulsation...then they come back too soon or too late.
Just doesn't feel right somehow...even if you alter the action...
I think it is something that you can adjust to, but is difficult if you have had a long relationship with a certain guitar and then try another.
Maybe this is the reason why Paco held on to his old Conde for so long?

cheers

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 17 2006 19:54:20

Grisha

Yes! And now that he doesn't play his old Conde, he's not so fast anymore! Just joking. I completely agree. It is true, that certain guitars are just "faster", and feel just right. But sometimes you have to choose between sound and feel/speed. My current guitar is not optimal for speed, but I like it because of its sound capabilities. I can play it as hard as I want, and still it will not buzz.

I am just curious... Have any of you measured your 2 finger speed tapping on the table?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 17 2006 20:01:13
Page:   [1] 2 3 4    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1] 2 3 4    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post