Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Spanish Gastronomy   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: <<   <   1 2 3 4 [5]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Richard Jernigan

RE: Spanish Gastronomy (in reply to Ruphus

They used to have good bread in Mexico, perhaps as one of the few beneficial aspects of French occupation in the 19th century, along with good coffee and pan dulce. Or maybe it was from Spain? My ex-wife wrote down a recipe for bolillos and gave it to me, even after we spllt up.

But during a week in Yucatan this last December I didn't have a single decent piece of bread--even at the Cafe La Habana in Merida. Some of it looked like bread, but it all turned out to be soft and tasteless like the American factory product. I ended up sticking with tortillas de maíz

You know what they say, "Poor Mexico, so far from God, so close to the USA."

RNJ

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 17 2016 20:12:08

Piwin

RE: Spanish Gastronomy (in reply to Richard Jernigan

Either you took this shot threw a window pane or that woman is a ghost with feet on her back! At first I thought she was sitting on some sort of tiled bench, which I assume must be the pavement outside (?). The effect is quite startling!

"Anything you do can be fixed. What you cannot fix is the perfection of a blank page. What you cannot fix is that pristine, unsullied whiteness of a screen or a page with nothing on it—because there’s nothing there to fix."
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 17 2016 20:29:03

Leñador

Bolillo made me fat lol. A torta a day keeps the women away.

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 17 2016 20:44:30

Ruphus

RE: Spanish Gastronomy (in reply to Leñador

quote:

ORIGINAL: Leñador

A torta a day keeps the women away.

What ´ya done to the good ol´apple, Lenny!

Ruphus

PS: Like the ladies in Richard´s pic. Great smile!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 17 2016 21:18:40

Richard Jernigan

RE: Spanish Gastronomy (in reply to Piwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Piwin

Either you took this shot threw a window pane or that woman is a ghost with feet on her back! At first I thought she was sitting on some sort of tiled bench, which I assume must be the pavement outside (?). The effect is quite startling!

Yes. I was standing on the sidewalk at night. This was the second shot, after the ladies had noticed me...their smiles are so fetching that many people fail to notice the feet! The restaurant, named Chaya Maya was packed, with a long line out the door, so we walked closer to the main square and ate at Cafe La Habana.

On Christmas Eve the prosperous owner of La Habana showed up dressed as a Cuban peasant of the old days, in homespun and sandals, with a burlap sack over his shoulder. He was accompanied by his handsome wife and beautiful teenage daughter, both elegantly turned out.

La Habana was a blast from the past. My two friends and I, who camped out in Mexico that whole summer, ate there in 1961. When we first visited Merida we stayed at a miserable and dirty casa de huespedes. Upon our return after several weeks in the jungle we found a nice pensión with a pool, orchard of both Seville and sweet oranges, and excellent food. It was further from downtown, but cheap too.

At the pensión we met six American college students, three girls and three boys, just two or three years younger than we graduate students. Talking to one of the girls I learned that they had flown to Merida from Kansas, but had spent the whole week in town since their arrival. None of them spoke much Spanish, and the boys were reluctant to face the imagined dangers of the countryside. She said they weren't romantic couples, just pals from school.

The next day at the pool we regaled them with tales of our manly adventures in the jungle and at Isla Mujeres, and our sailing trip with some fishermen from there to Cozumel, where there was not any kind of tourist accommodation at all in those days.

The day after that we took the girls to Chichen Itza. The girls told the boys they could stay behind as punishment for their timidity. My two friends and two of the girls rode in rather cramped fashion in the cab of our pickup. The girl I had first spoken to and I rode in the bed of the truck, which was padded with sleeping bags and a tarp. This was well before the modern toll road was built, so the two-hour drive each way gave us a chance to get better acquainted...

One of my friends is now a Distinguished Professor Emeritus at Iowa State University. Last time I talked to him, he said he still had a box of photo slides from that trip. One of these days I will make it to Ames with a slide scanner.

RNJ

A graffito on the wall in the same block as La Chaya Maya...

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 17 2016 21:55:55

El Frijolito

quote:

You know what they say, "Poor Mexico, so far from God, so close to the USA."

Actually the quote is, "Poor New Mexico, so far from Heaven, so close to Texas." It is attributed to Manuel Armijo, then governor of the territory of Nuevo Mexico, 1841. Porfirio Diaz, to whom your variation of the quote is popularly attributed, would have been about 11 years old.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 17 2016 22:28:57

El Frijolito

RE: Spanish Gastronomy (in reply to Dudnote

quote:

Last time I was in the States I naively bought a load of random stuff from a Mexican store, throw it in a pot and cooked up enough for 4 or 5 days. Big mistake! I swear it was the hottest **** ever cooked on this earth - it turned my insides into a blazing inferno. I seriously thought I was going to die or end up in hospital if I was lucky. I'll spare you the gory details of all the crazy **** I tried in complete and utter desperation to purge that stuff from the system. Pretty funny in hind sight.

Did you at least get a good run for your money?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 17 2016 22:31:39

Richard Jernigan

RE: Spanish Gastronomy (in reply to El Frijolito

quote:

ORIGINAL: El Frijolito

Actually the quote is, "Poor New Mexico, so far from Heaven, so close to Texas." It is attributed to Manuel Armijo, then governor of the territory of Nuevo Mexico, 1841. Porfirio Diaz, to whom your variation of the quote is popularly attributed, would have been about 11 years old.

I am sure that many Texans whom I have met would take this as a compliment, and many present day New Mexicans would agree with the governor's sentiment.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 17 2016 22:52:13

El Frijolito

I suspect that's true.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 17 2016 22:54:43

Richard Jernigan

RE: Spanish Gastronomy (in reply to estebanana

quote:

ORIGINAL: estebanana

They used the lagoon at Trestles to simulate a lagoon on a Japanese occupied Pacific island. He and his team built a wooden replica of the fuselage a tail of Mitsubishi Zero and planted it nose first into the lagoon to look like a Zero crash site. And subconciously this gave the viewers of the film a sense of hope that a symbol like Zero was trashed out and defeated.

Never eat a trout raw, the sashimi is overrated in my humble opinion.

While my father was a member of the Confederate Air Force (the name was later changed to Commemorative Air Force), instead of Zeros they flew AT-6 Texan trainers (SNJ's to the Navy) with modified wingtips to mimic the distinctive circular silhouette of the Zero's.

He said they searched high and low for Zeros to put into flying condition, but couldn't come up with any. They were such a hated symbol of Japanese air power that wherever an example was encountered soon after the war, it was usually utterly destroyed by U.S. troops.

Now that I think of it, I vaguely recall a photo of a fairly intact Zero, half covered by jungle growth, somewhere in the Pacific, but I never saw one on land.

My buddies and I found a largely intact Zero in about 30 feet of water off the end of the runway at Roi-Namur, at the northern end of Kwajalein Atoll. We knew people who had dived Kwajalein lagoon since the beginning of scuba diving there, and no one had heard of it before. I was surprised it had been missed, but diving was generally better further from Roi.

The Zero was inverted on a white sand bottom. About the only serious damage was to the vertical tail fin, which was partly torn off. Further evidence that no one knew of it was that the machine guns in the wings were still there. They would have been prized by wreck looters. There was no visible debris from damage to the cockpit, but sand had settled in around it. We couldn't tell whether the pilot had made it out or not.

Back on the boat, we immediately agreed to keep quiet, until we notified the Base Commander, whose wife was an avid diver. He announced the find, along with a stern edict against looting.

I haven't asked anyone about its condition lately.

Further south along the west reef we found a debris field that began in deeper water and extended up onto the reef itself, maybe six feet of water at low tide. No one seemed to know about it either. Experts identified the plane as a Zero from photos of parts, but the only large pieces were from the engine and the landing gear. We looked for the guns, but never found them. We assumed someone had taken them and kept quiet about it.

At my parents' house fresh sea trout were prepared Texas style, filleted if they were that big, dredged in corn meal and fried in an iron skillet. Smaller ones were gutted, the scales scraped off, and fried whole except for the head, with the skin on, until the fins were crisp. Surplus trout that weren't given away were carefully frozen, and came to the table later as trout almondine.

Redfish are actually a good deal better to eat than speckled trout. My father agreed, but it was more challenging to catch trout, so that's what he went after, always with artificial lures, usually a simple chrome plated or polished bronze spoon, depending on the light and the clarity of the water.

I don't think I have ever tasted any trout, salt or freshwater, as sashimi.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 17 2016 23:44:59

estebanana

Zeros are rare in Japan museums also. A formidable aircraft. My half sisters grandfather shot down four of them- over New Guinea Jan. 23 1944, he downed three in one day. He said they were nasty. He had some mighty hair raising tales. he was one of seven pilots to be aces in both WWII and Korea. He bagged 8 MiGs, none of them were ground kills all in the air.

At the end of the war the Zeros were being used as Kamikaze vehicles which might explain the rarity. I have yet to make it to Chiran which is a three hour drive from my town, Chiran is the location of the Kamikaze memorial museum. I'm working on a personal research project about kamikaze and a trip to Chiran to read the letters and see the few examples of air craft is going to happen in the next two months.

Very interesting to hear about the Zeros underwater. When I was n Micronesia in 1988 there was a Zero lodged in a clump of heavy vegetation down the dirt road from my house. You could not make out too much by that time. I took a photo of it, mostly the remains of the engine block and cowling and a vague outline of fuselage which the jungle had rooted into and was slowly shearing apart.

The promontory upon which my stepmoms house was built and where the dual war ace ace lived next door to us, her father, was a Japanese anti-aircraft gun placement. The house was built over a shallow depression filled in a little bit. At one point it was sandbagged and bunkered about, but that structure had been removed. The old fighter pilot had a garden on the property and when digging around it was not uncommon to unearth spent machine gun casings.

Did you ever run into block houses a small cement anti air-craft gun bunkers on outer atolls on diving trips?

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 18 2016 3:14:47

BarkellWH

RE: Spanish Gastronomy (in reply to estebanana

quote:

At the end of the war the Zeros were being used as Kamikaze vehicles which might explain the rarity.

The Japanese began mounting kamikaze attacks in earnest in October 1944. They used skilled pilots during the early campaign, but too many were being shot down, and by the time of the U.S. amphibious assault against Okinawa on April 1, 1944, the Japanese were using novice pilots who, once airborne, were trained only to home in on a target. The Battle of Okinawa (April 1 - June 22, 1944) was the high point of the kamikaze attacks. The Japanese employed an estimated total of some 1,700 Zeros during the battle, approximately 80 percent flying out of Kyushu and 20 percent flying out of Formosa (now Taiwan). They suffered dreadful losses, but not before they wreaked havoc upon many U.S. naval vessels offshore that were their targets.

In my various trips and assignments to the Pacific islands over the years, I have seen several Zeros that had either been shot down or crashed in the jungle. In 1992, during an official trip to Micronesia, I visited Yap as part of my itinerary. A member of the Yapese Government spent a day with me trekking into the jungle, as well as a couple of villages. We came upon a Zero that was in amazingly good shape, given the tropical dampness and humidity over the years since World War II. Likewise, I have visited Peleliu several times during official assignments to Palau. On Peleliu, there is a Zero in the jungle that sustained heavy damage when it crashed after being shot down.

Regarding concrete bunkers and pillboxes, I have seen several on both Yap and Peleliu, as well as on a couple of atolls in the Marshall Islands. For anyone interested, in my opinion the best history of the final year of the war against Japan in the Pacific is entitled "Retribution: The Battle for Japan, 1944-1945," by the British military historian Max Hastings. Hastings is thorough, uses impeccable sources, and draws vivid portraits of the major commanders on all sides: MacArthur, Nimitz, Homma, Yamashita, and probably the finest commander of them all, British General William Slim, whose 14th Army spearheaded the advance in 1944 to drive the Japanese from Burma.

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 18 2016 16:48:58

BarkellWH

RE: Spanish Gastronomy (in reply to El Frijolito

quote:

No one doubts the quote attributed to Manuel Armijo, Governor of New Mexico, in 1841. But that does not preclude Porfirio Diaz from having coined his variation at a later date: "Poor Mexico, so far from God, so close to the United States." Are you suggesting that Porfirio Diaz never coined the quote attributed to him? It is so widely quoted that it seems to me the burden of proof that he did not coin it lies on the naysayer. That both men coined the variation attributed to each is neither a mutually exclusive proposition nor a contradiction. Nevertheless, I would be interested in any evidence that Porfirio Diaz never coined the version attributed to him.

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 18 2016 17:16:09

Escribano

RE: Spanish Gastronomy (in reply to BarkellWH

I don't know about either attribution but this thread is about Spanish Gastronomy guys.

This is my contribution, that combines "How Many Languages Do You Speak?" and this thread.

When I lived in a small village in Granada, my Spanish was solely picked up from my neighbours (so heavily Andalu). There were British ex-pats that I generally avoided but one or two might join me in the local bar, which had a very good restaurant on the ground floor.

After an excellent meal on night, one of the Brits asked me for a doggy bag to take the slow-cooked lamb (with local herbs) home. Whilst I was formulating the right way to ask, he says the waiter:

"Tienes una bolsa perro?" He had been living there for many years. I kid you not.

The other Brit (who was visiting the area) wanted a breakfast one day:

"Do you think they can do a fry-up like eggs, sausages, black pudding, bacon, maybe chips (fries) etc.?"

"Sure, they have a great desayuno alpujarreño with huevos, salchichas, morcilla y patatas fritas with a pimiento. Just drop the pimiento and perhaps they have some tocino" (though tocino is usually called bacon there).

"Nope, don't want that Spanish crap, I want eggs, sausages, black pudding, bacon and chips"

I had lived in an ex-pat ghetto in Almería for 5 years.

Face palm... not the only time this kind of thing happened to me and I was certainly not fluent.

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 18 2016 17:55:50

Piwin

RE: Spanish Gastronomy (in reply to Escribano

That evening, when considering what to do for the night, you suggested:
"there's some good flamenco. The tocaor, cantaor and bailaor are all extremely good."
He replied: "i don't want any of that Spanish crap. I want a guitarist, a singer and one of those girls in the polka dot dresses!"

A good alternative to salchichon is the farinato salmantino. Used to be called "chorizo del pobre", but is now used in even some of the finest cuisine of Salamanca. Very tasty!

"Anything you do can be fixed. What you cannot fix is the perfection of a blank page. What you cannot fix is that pristine, unsullied whiteness of a screen or a page with nothing on it—because there’s nothing there to fix."
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 18 2016 18:11:34

Sr. Martins

quote:

farinato salmantino

There's one that is made out of blood. If it's not the one on the pic (morcela?) it's something similar.

Some have rice too but to me it's all nasty stuff.

"Ya no me conoce el sol, porque yo duermo de dia"
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 18 2016 19:08:30

Leñador

When I visited Spain every time I got somewhere new I had to scope out where to get breakfast the night before. First morning in Spain I walked in somewhere and said "Tienes desayuno?" They said "Si" and showed me a box of various breads. I described what I wanted an he said Oh! You want English breakfast! All I wanted was eggs and protein of some kind lolol that's apparently English breakfast.

No blood sausages either Rui???? Jeez! Your missing out on life!!

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 18 2016 19:11:48

Sr. Martins

quote:

No blood sausages either Rui???? Jeez! Your missing out on life!!

I tried all that when I was a kid, got scarred for life.

I love batatas com couves but cozido à portuguesa is just a stinky mess.

The good thing is that all that stuff that I can't stand are also considered bad for your health.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 18 2016 19:25:40

Piwin

RE: Spanish Gastronomy (in reply to Sr. Martins

quote:

There's one that is made out of blood. If it's not the one on the pic (morcela?) it's something similar. Some have rice too but to me it's all nasty stuff.

Then prepare to be freaked out by what the future holds! I was reading an article on alternatives to meat, and they said that they could now "grow" meat artificially using certains cells from a cow (apparently it's pretty damn expensive at this point though). Someone apparently suggested that a good option would be to grow our meat using human stem cells.......And back to cannibalism we go!
I'm looking forward to those human stem-cell burgers.

As for the farinato, I hear the Portuguese also have something quite similar. Farineira? I know there's an "h" in there somewhere but I can never figure out where.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 18 2016 19:30:25

Sr. Martins

Farinheira. The "h" is always after de "n" and sounds like "ñ".

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 18 2016 19:34:50

El Frijolito

RE: Spanish Gastronomy (in reply to BarkellWH

quote:

But that does not preclude Porfirio Diaz from having coined his variation at a later date: "Poor Mexico, so far from God, so close to the United States." Are you suggesting that Porfirio Diaz never coined the quote attributed to him? It is so widely quoted that it seems to me the burden of proof that he did not coin it lies on the naysayer. That both men coined the variation attributed to each is neither a mutually exclusive proposition nor a contradiction. Nevertheless, I would be interested in any evidence that Porfirio Diaz never coined the version attributed to him.

Hardly. Sometimes that version of the quote is attributed to Benito Juarez (possibly inaccurately).

I am not suggesting Porfirio Diaz "never coined" the later variation. I suspect the origin of the sentiment is debatable, and I do think it's likely he heard the quote attributed to Armijo, which is widely known and quoted in New Mexico today.

Now returning you to your regularly scheduled off-topic topic.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 18 2016 19:38:01

Leñador

quote:

Someone apparently suggested that a good option would be to grow our meat using human stem cells.

Soilant green is people!!!! It's people!!!! Hahaha
If meat is grown in a lab does it count as vegetarian??? I'd try it, why not lol
Your lucky Rui, as a small child everything I ate came out of a can or a box. Somehow because of that I grew up to become a bit of a food snob. As soon as I had my own money I wanted to go try new things.

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 18 2016 19:38:28

Sr. Martins

I wouldn't call it luck, specially when these delicacies (cheese included) make me sick.

I appreciate many other food that's typical Iberian stuff.. just not these in particular.

Love canned beans (feijão preto, feijão frade and grão).

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 18 2016 19:44:06

Piwin

quote:

Soilant green is people!!!! It's people!!!!

Well that was a blast from the past! Hadn't heard of that in ages!
To bridge the gap between that and Spanish gastronomy. Your plane crashes in the middle of the mountains, weeks away from civilization. There's a Spanish guy, a German, a French, a Mexican and an American. No other food sources in sight. Who do you eat first and why?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 18 2016 19:46:43

Leñador

The Mexican, he'd be pre-marinated with all kinds of delicious spices. Ideally there would be an Indian on board though.

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 18 2016 19:50:07

Sr. Martins

quote:

Who do you eat first and why?

The female(s)?

Because they have lady parts. Then I would take a nap and look for beans.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 18 2016 19:58:37

El Frijolito

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 18 2016 20:02:23

El Frijolito

This book might help matters...

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 18 2016 20:40:30

Escribano

quote:

Because they have lady parts. Then I would take a nap and look for beans.

quote:

This book might help matters...

Lame, childish, inappropriate and off-topic... again, sheesh.

This thread is now locked, as is the Off-Topic section.

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 18 2016 20:52:22
Page:   <<   <   1 2 3 4 [5]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: <<   <   1 2 3 4 [5]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote