Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

International Women's Day and Flamenco   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Piwin

International Women's Day and Flamenco 

Happy women's day to the women on the foro!

All jokes aside (the whole "they get 1 day...the guys get 364 (actually 365 in 2016 since it's a leap year)), all lofty gender debates aside (pro-femen wrestling the anti-femen, etc.) and all debates on whether having a "women's day" is a good thing or not, I just thought it'd be a good opportunity to post some videos or links or anything else on some of the great women flamenco artists, and especially guitarists. As we all know, flamenco guitar is very much a man's world nowadays, but there have been and still are today some great female guitarists, many of whom deserve more recognition than thet get IMO. Here's a video covering many of the main historical figures (unfortunately, in Spanish only)

There are very few recordings of these artists of the past so most of it has to be left to the imagination or reconstructed on the basis of testimonies.

As for contemporary guitarists, my own personal favorite is Laura Gonzalez, who has achieved a fair degree of recognition in Spain I believe.

I also enjoy Antonia Jiménez but I can't seem to find any quality videos of her playing. Marta Robles has some interesting compositions but often at the fringe of flamenco "fusion" IMO.
The sad reality of it is that they are pretty much the only names I know of as far as contemporary female flamenco guitarists are concerned. So hopefully you will post some other names and videos so that I can discover some more!

Cheers,

"Anything you do can be fixed. What you cannot fix is the perfection of a blank page. What you cannot fix is that pristine, unsullied whiteness of a screen or a page with nothing on it—because there’s nothing there to fix."
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 8 2016 9:04:16

Piwin

RE: International Women's Day and Fl... (in reply to Piwin

As far as singers go, my top two are
Concha Buika

and in a more traditional style, la Macanita

(just the beginning)
or

"Anything you do can be fixed. What you cannot fix is the perfection of a blank page. What you cannot fix is that pristine, unsullied whiteness of a screen or a page with nothing on it—because there’s nothing there to fix."
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 8 2016 9:16:02

gerundino63

The Gitanos in Spain and the South of France worschip the black Madonna,( also Maria Magdalena) it seems to go back to the egypt time and the worshipping of Isis.
Despite of the Catholic church tried to get rid of the women, and telling bad stories about them, the worshipping of woman is still there and especially in the Gipsy culture a big thing.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 8 2016 11:02:49

Piwin

Davinia Ballesteros

and an interview of her

http://www.condehermanos.com/es/entrevistamos-a-la-guitarrista-davinia-ballesteros/

The trailer of a documentary film made on the topic

and an extract of said documentary featuring part of a seguiriya by Noa Drezner

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 8 2016 22:09:47

Piwin

Afra Rubino

Never thought I'd hear the traditional seguiriya escobilla played on a double bass, but there you have it!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 8 2016 22:28:53

Piwin

Belen Novelli, a promising young guitarist who received several awards during her short career. Sadly, she passed away early last year. She was 19.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 8 2016 22:39:15

Sr. Martins

This thread needs this:

"Ya no me conoce el sol, porque yo duermo de dia"
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 8 2016 23:04:57

Piwin

RE: International Women's Day and Fl... (in reply to Sr. Martins

Very cool. I love those thumb-index falsetas. Not too hard but always effective.
The singer's voice is incredibly similar to Estrella Morente. Actually, I probably would've thought it was her if I hadn't seen the singer's face.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 8 2016 23:43:22

Piwin

RE: International Women's Day and Fl... (in reply to gerundino63

A friend of mine from France comes from a family where they all have one French name and one Egyptian one. Like Jean-Pierre Osiris Dupont. The odd thing is they have no direct relationship to Egypt. Should've asked them if they have some gipsy blood in there somewhere.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 8 2016 23:46:15

Leñador

Concha Buika was good but what's up with Josele's weird sounding guitar....
Ole mujeres! Lol

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 8 2016 23:59:16

Piwin

RE: International Women's Day and Fl... (in reply to Leñador

Yeah I thought the same thing. Someone should fire that sound engineer!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 9 2016 0:08:20

Sr. Martins

It's his fault for bringing a crap guitar onstage.

Piezhit..

"Ya no me conoce el sol, porque yo duermo de dia"
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 9 2016 0:15:10

Piwin

RE: International Women's Day and Fl... (in reply to Sr. Martins

quote:

lol. I don't know why it made me think of this

It probably says a lot about my appetite for heavy metal that this sounds to me just as "good" as it does with professional instruments

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 9 2016 0:23:45

Piwin

I'll finish off with this research paper, just as some food for thought (though I realize I'm coming dangerously close to firing up a debate, but I assure you that's not the point!)
http://www.nber.org/papers/w5903.pdf
Most of you will already know about this. It's about how the proportion of female musicians has dramatically increased in orchestras after they changed their hiring process to so-called "blind auditions" (i.e. the candidates are hidden behind a screen and the jury is not made aware of the candidates' gender). In other words, if you can't see who's playing, you are much less likely to tell whether it's a man or a woman playing, despite many thinking that there are inherent features of how each gender plays. It's similar to how most people believe they can tell the difference between Pepsi and Coca cola, even if blind tests have shown that most people simply can't. Perhaps a similar blind test with flamenco guitarists would go a long way in debunking some of these myths. Anyways, just some food for thought.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 9 2016 0:56:22

Paul Magnussen

quote:

Sadly, [Belen Novelli] passed away early last year. She was 19.

That’s terrible. Do you know what happened? I can’t seem to find any report except the simple fact of her death.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 9 2016 2:04:26

Piwin

RE: International Women's Day and Fl... (in reply to Paul Magnussen

quote:

That’s terrible. Do you know what happened? I can’t seem to find any report except the simple fact of her death.

No, I don't know. I browsed around a bit, but couldn't find anything either. Though given the way people talked about it, it seems that it was something unexpected, not the result of a long disease or anything like that. It's sad.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 9 2016 2:33:15

Leñador

quote:

quote:

lol. I don't know why it made me think of this

Nice! \m/!!
Awesome stuff! Lol

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 9 2016 3:58:05

rombsix

RE: International Women's Day and Fl... (in reply to Leñador

Maybe some unseen videos of her on this channel? Not sure... Wow - she does well with this one.

Ramzi

http://www.youtube.com/rombsix
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 13 2018 20:40:23
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll